Thor

United States

#1 Aug 6, 2012
With the announcement that SHOW will be running the inspections given their non-compliance with USDA regs, do you anticipate a smaller crowd this year. That is to say, after the negative national publicity, should not the Celebration have made every effort to put their best hoof forward. I fear this may be the last ....
Just Saying

Crossville, TN

#2 Aug 13, 2012
I'm not a horse person but the USDA's requirements are unreasonable. They're asking a private entity to impose federal punishments on people without due process. SHOW does not have the authority to do that.
Hosses

Crossville, TN

#3 Aug 21, 2012
A horse can be disqualified for a 1 ppm reading on a swab test. At 1 ppm, you better hope that somebody isn't using Bengay upwind of the inspection area. I can't treat my horses ailments or relive them from bothersome flies anymore because I don't want to be disqualified over a positive swab test. How is that humane? There are better ways of catching the bad guys that don't incriminate innocent people in the process if only the USDA and the TWHBEA could pull their heads out of their back sides.

To put it into perspective, food contaminant readings conducted by the same organization are tossed out as invalid if they fall below 10 ppm.
Question

Ardsley, NY

#4 Aug 21, 2012
So, you are going to show an ailing horse covered w/ flies. Why not take care of the horse and skip the show?
tennessee horse man

Owensboro, KY

#5 Aug 21, 2012
The horses should be inspected by a private group. I have been a trainer of padded horses for years and its a crooked business. Inspectors are made up in the past of trainers with DQP license. The horse should go to flat shod and no chains and pads. Its a joke if people really believe that most of the padded horses are'nt being sored. Its as common as feeding a horse hay. Its funny when people say swabing is not true. The USDA knows what is being used.
Hosses

Crossville, TN

#6 Aug 23, 2012
tennessee horse man, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. It's blatantly obvious that you've never trained. If you think that all padded horses are sore and that there aren't flat shod horses out there who are sore you'd be HORRIBLY wrong. I'd put money on the fact that more flat shod trainers get away with it than padded trainers because nobody's looking there.

All but three of my horses are padded. I trained each one of them myself and not once have I ever needed to hurt my horses. I know many other people who also have sound horses. I do not associate with people who sore and I've yet to personally come across somebody who does.

Also, the chemicals they're testing for in swabbing are the same chemicals that are used in COUNTLESS harmless grooming and personal care products. If your horse has thrush or white line disease you're out of luck because all of the medications presently available to treat those conditions with will produce a positive swab reading. Show sheen tests positive. Fly spray tests positive. The lubricant used for clippers tests positive. SHAMPOO will test positive. Dr. Steve Mullins confirmed all of this himself.

It has even been discovered that if the water your horses drink has some of the substances which are deemed "foreign" by the USDA, the horses will sweat it out from their skin and yep, you guess it, you will get a positive result because the USDA has no parameters. If you think I am kidding, I am not. A person had her water tested, noticed on the results, that some of the substances there were also on the "foreign substance" list from the USDA (benzoic acid, among others), had an expert look at it and asked if the horses drink the water, will it also be on their skin if they sweat, the answer was yes.
Question

Ardsley, NY

#7 Aug 23, 2012
Mr Hoss, I believe you are the one who needs to educate yourself. You do not have the corner on the market, and Tenn Horse Man raises valid points. Nothing is blatantly obvious other than the fact that you are an arrogant ass.
saying

Crossville, TN

#8 Aug 23, 2012
Question wrote:
Mr Hoss, I believe you are the one who needs to educate yourself. You do not have the corner on the market, and Tenn Horse Man raises valid points. Nothing is blatantly obvious other than the fact that you are an arrogant ass.
Wrong.
tennessee horse man

Owensboro, KY

#9 Aug 28, 2012
I have trained padded horses most all my life. I bought horses that were shown at the celebration by top trainers from TN. Horse soring is a common practice and if your not doing it then great for your horses and you would be a person of great pride. If people do it then they should be prosecuted. I dont get it"its a federal law". You sell drugs"also Frederal Law" people look down on you. People sore horses and they have a celebration for them. Take away the chains and pads. Its not natural. If it was then GOD would have made them be born with 4"inch hoofs. Let the USDA have soring agent snifing dogs that are allowed in a barn to check for this and I will be ok. If its found then prosecute!
just saying

Crossville, TN

#10 Aug 28, 2012
tennessee horse man wrote:
Take away the chains and pads. Its not natural. If it was then GOD would have made them be born with 4"inch hoofs.
It's not natural for horses to be ridden, either.
Question

Ardsley, NY

#11 Aug 29, 2012
Well, considering the number of violations already racking up this year, padded horses may no longer be a viable option. Why take the most beautiful breed in the world and screw it up??
Pienoodle

Crossville, TN

#12 Aug 30, 2012
The numbers are about on par with disqualifications for every other breed. The HSUS won't tell you that, though. If padded Walking horses are banned then I want to see padded Arabians and Saddlebred (or those trained in chains and stretchers) go as well.
Pienoodle

Crossville, TN

#13 Aug 30, 2012
Where's all the outrage over this?
&fe ature=player_embedded

Those horses are trained with their feet tied together for crying out loud.
timmy

Crossville, TN

#14 Sep 2, 2012
When USEF (who has yet to accept the TWH into their ranks) comes out against the swabbing practices for being too indiscriminate, you know something is wrong.
URNOTFROMHERERU

Chesapeake, OH

#15 Aug 10, 2013
Folks, now that the trainer's have lost the lawsuit and SHOW will either have to comply or be decertified, what will be the economic impact to Shelbyville?
unburdened

Mount Juliet, TN

#16 Aug 19, 2013
URNOTFROMHERERU wrote:
Folks, now that the trainer's have lost the lawsuit and SHOW will either have to comply or be decertified, what will be the economic impact to Shelbyville?
i believe this will be the last celebration
midnight sun

Crossville, TN

#17 Oct 14, 2013
unburdened wrote:
<quoted text>
i believe this will be the last celebration
It will not be the last celebration. The end of the padded horse as we know it may be looming however since we can't seem to staff the board with people who care enough about our beautiful horses and our nearly century-old industry to do anything about the people who keep screwing it up for everyone else. I'm fed up with it, personally. I'll pull all of my horses off their pads and go barefoot if it means that I don't have to deal with this nonsense anymore. It isn't fair to me or anybody else and especially or horses who work so hard for us that the same idiots who get cited year after year keep bringing home blues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shelbyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Interbreeding in Petersburg 3 min PoleCat 1
Want to make easy money? Just following the li... 49 min Captain Kangaroo 3
Todd Trejo 10 hr Ex girlfriend 1
Billy and sue together 12 hr Jean Luc Picard 9
They're coming for Trump 12 hr Dump Trump 30
Heaven Leigh (May '17) 20 hr envy 7
franke mfg. (May '11) Thu old school 99

Shelbyville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance