Richland County's heroin problems focus on 'Oprah,' 'Nightline'

Sep 30, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News Journal

SHELBY -- Drug addiction put Richland County in a negative national spotlight Monday.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Nov 12, 2009
JAMEY BROWN

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

WOW!! I moved to Florida in 2003 and since then my hometown(used to be),the place I was born and raised went to hades in a handbasket! What's going on up there? Why all the heroin? My cousin died from an overdose up there. I can't believe what I am hearing and reading!!! I am praying for everyone up there and you SHELBY, Ohio!!! You have got to put your faith in our LORD JESUS CHRIST!!! He is the only one who change and save your life, and that's the truth honey!!!
LOVE AND PRAYERS,
Jamey R. Brown
***If anyone wants to talk, you can email me at jusjamey@yahoo.com***
Pathetic Shelby

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Judged:

I grew up in Shelby and couldn't leave fast enough. The local police force is comprised of people who grew up in Shelby. As police officers their priorities have always been backwards. Picking on young teenage drivers for vehicle infractions and ignoring the big problems. For years, it was impossible to get any city leaders to admit there was a problem. Now it's so large they can't do anything about it. Well done Shelby, Ohio!
concerned citizen

New London, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

[QUOTE "Pathetic Shelby"]I grew up in Shelby and couldn't leave fast enough. The local police force is comprised of people who grew up in Shelby. As police officers their priorities have always been backwards. Picking on young teenage drivers for vehicle infractions and ignoring the big problems. For years, it was impossible to get any city leaders to admit there was a problem. Now it's so large they can't do anything about it. Well done Shelby, Ohio![/QUOTE]
Hmmmm...you could've fooled me. Shelby has a real problem with not only kids, but adults, who drive around in red neck mobiles, with extremely loud exhausts, and the cop's won't do a dog gone thing about it. The town has no police chief, and only 16 officers on the force, divided into 3 shifts.You it the nail on the had with the screen name" Pathetic shelby". This once booming, respectable, clean little town has gone to hell, and has been taken over by the rednecks.
over by the rednecks

Circleville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

i would not say its the rednecks but the morons fits pretty good .I would not recomend labeling but it is obvious something needs to be done with the problems not just sit around and complain . only the person using can really help themselves they also need support not just negative aditudes
ramblin man

Johnstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

anyone can sit back & complain- those who get off their butt & do something about it will actually create change
Sad but not surprised

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

I grew up in Galion and thank goodness my parents moved away in the mid-80's. I was invited back once by old friends and their idea of fun was going to the bowling alley! Grown men were getting into fights and everyone was gossiping about each other. So much for small town hospitality. I decided never to return to the area it was just too depressing.

Although there are some nice areas, much of Mansfield is a dump and has been for over 20 years. I remember hearing rumors about rampant drug use even in the 80's.

When people have no education, career or future they are more susceptible to drugs. Small town USA (at least the ones in Richland county) has become for many, a breeding ground for boredom and despair.
tcountygirl

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

I am from another county in Ohio, not far from Richland County. The show on Oprah really hit home for me. Why would anyone want to move to or live here?? We have got to do something!
Willard sad

Danville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

The story on Oprah is an eye opener.
Former Marine

Ruvo Di Puglia, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2009

This is insane. Young Americans fighting abraod for the safety and security of our way of life. This!!! WTF...

These people made a choice to stick a needle in their body with stuff from and mixed with God knows what. What are they thinking? Why aren't the police taking the distributors down, tracing the network sources, contacts... Just frekin' crazy and sad...
SavannahSmiles

Lexington, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

I lived in Ontario and the mid/late 70's and was too young to really notice the dope scene. I have always had this vision of a wonderful place to live, going on in my head. Now I find that where I live now - and hate - is really no worse. It makes me very sad to read this. Do pharmacies, and discount stores regulate what you can buy over the counter in Mansfield/Ontario? We cannot buy watch batteries, cold and sinus meds, brake fluid, starter fluid or even a funnel or tubing material without being carded, and the amount to be purchased restricted to he bare minimum. It has helped make it a little harder for these losers to manufacture their dope. They still do it, but it is a lot harder to get their stuff. It was just a thought anyway...
Jennifer Keller DeRaad

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2009

Former Marine wrote:
This is insane. Young Americans fighting abraod for the safety and security of our way of life. This!!! WTF...
These people made a choice to stick a needle in their body with stuff from and mixed with God knows what. What are they thinking? Why aren't the police taking the distributors down, tracing the network sources, contacts... Just frekin' crazy and sad...
First, I want to thank you for serving our country. I'm sure you are faced with challenges daily and it is very difficult to imagine why someone would choose to do such a thing. I grew up in Shelby, my parents still reside there. I moved away for college many years ago and recently returned to OH. I've lived in many cities over the last 15 years,and I've been exposed to unusual circumstances of others through my line of work. These problems are not reserved for "big cities". I'm positive that the economic impact has not helped this situation. I don't live in Richland County, but I would very much like to help in anyway I can to assist in its improvement. I sense that to say it frustrates you that there are free people that choose to throw there lives away is an understatement. I just want you to know that there are people that care and want to do the right thing in the states. Today I plan to help instead of watch. Recently on Oprah a man and his family were portrayed, and I went to high school with him. I felt for him even though I couldn't understand.
Timmie Cox

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

I am a Recoverying Alcoholic Addict and wouyld like some feedback on the show that was done here when Oprah introduced this city as one of the major places where heroin is distributed. We are starting the first time ever Heroin Meeting at the new C.O.R.A. Club here in Mansfield due to the airing of the show I am in belief that these people need somewhere to go for recovery. I need some help with this can you assist me the meeting will start on April 11, 2009 at 4p at 30 S. bowman street. How can we get info to the person that aired thie show.
Leigh

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2009

Can anyone tell me about Teigh and Dusty Thornsberry? I used to date Dusty a long time ago, and saw they were arrested for impersonating a police officer. I couldn't get the whole article, so I was wondering if anyone knew.
Jeffrey Cline

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Who is Oprah, why was she allowed to film negativity about our county? She is so rich she can afford to invest money in programs to assist the county instead of showing the bad parts. Not everybody in the county are bad people. There is a lot of good hard working caring people who have done great things for the community and the country. Was that mentioned in her interview? I think she is pathetic to say the least. I never supported her or will I ever. She is over rated.
Kathy

Bellefontaine, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

It's not just in Richland county. It's a problem all over our state. I am not sure what is being done at the state level, but I would think that it should be a priority. As the state is closing all of their youth detention centers more and more teenage offenders are being ignored and hitting the streets using and distributing this drug and many are dying. It seems like the state has taken the hands off approach. The first person who should be addressing this is our Goveneor. Where is he? What is he doing? In the next county over (Crawford) we have begun several faith based 12 step recovery programs. We need our churches, our communities, our parents our law enforcement and our elected officials to all work together on this issue, NOW.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Shelby Discussions

Search the Shelby Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 19 min They cannot kill a Spook 29,085
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 20 NSA 229
Lesbian Couple's Family Denied Season Pass to O... Jul 12 WasteWater 25
Authorities investigating fatal shooting on Kin... Jul 12 Sterkfontein Swartkrans 1
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 2 Lindsay 2,213
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Bobby Nye 178
Large Garage Sale Jun '14 Just say no 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Shelby Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Shelby People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE