Potential cougar/panther sighting Fri...

Potential cougar/panther sighting Fri Aug 7th near Shelburne Industries, Rt. 7

Posted in the Shelburne Forum

Phil Gullion

Middlebury, VT

#1 Aug 8, 2009

There was a potential panther/cougar sighting in Shelburne on Rt. 7,
Friday afternoon Aug 7th, about 5:10 pm near Shelburne Industries.

A young cougar-type cat bolted across Rt. 7, stopped halfway and bolted back to the eastern bank of the road. It 'froze' on the side of the road for about 10-15 seconds, made a sudden start to cross to the west side of Rt. 7, changed it's mind and ran back to the east, up the bank and over the crest.

It was seen by a lot of commuters who stopped their driving. It was definitely 'cougar-like', tawny brown. About 3 ft long. There was no question that it might have been a dog or a housecat. It ran like a cheetah or a jaquar. I suppose that it could have a bobcat, but it looked like a small mountain lion. It was also smooth furred.

Someone might have taken a cell phone picture of it.
I've never seen anything quite like it in my life! It might be worth looking into for human interest.

Phil Gullion
47 Main St.
Vergennes, VT 05491

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shelburne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesse beshaw- look at the trash defending him Oct 22 Richard 1
Officials Conspired to Conceal Refugee Resettle... Oct 17 TheReligionOfPeac... 1
News Will a Supreme Court decision change psychiatri... Oct 4 Tanya 1
Unfriendly City (Aug '15) Sep 26 Community Disorga... 11
Burlington VT Self Storage Facilities (Market S... Sep '16 TDD 1
News Bernie Sanders launches political organization ... Sep '16 Captain Yesterday 5
bernie bends over for the clinton political mac... Aug '16 Juanita Broaddrick 8

Shelburne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shelburne Mortgages