Pittsfield Pest spray put on hold

Pittsfield Pest spray put on hold

There are 33 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jul 26, 2010, titled Pittsfield Pest spray put on hold. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

A program to spray mosquito-killing chemicals across the city was put on hold Monday -- just hours after it had begun -- to give the Board of Health time to review the use of the adulticides.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
News

Pittsfield, MA

#21 Jul 27, 2010
Dr. Adamo is angry that Wilucz (sp) pushed this through the council and wants it stopped. This isn't the only thing that he has pushed through without proper approval. However Wilucz agrees and stops the spraying(after his and Adamo's own neighborhoods have already been sprayed). The City is probably out the money it took to contract with the spray company without the full job being done.

Okay, now who benefitted from all this? Not the majority of Pittsfield residents. Not the environment. Not the chemical sensitive in the South end of Pittsfield. Not the bees (which last time I checked were in dangerous decline). Just something to think about.
bees

Pittsfield, MA

#22 Jul 27, 2010
They spray in the wee hours specifically to avoid hurting bees. And because the stuff breaks down quickly in sunlight.
BAB

Mechanicville, NY

#23 Jul 27, 2010
Give me a break...how many of us ran behind the truck spraying DDT when we were kids and are healthy today. I'm sure whatever is being used today has taken into account the dangers of chemicals used in the past...
As it is, we can't do anything about standing water because some little newt might lose it's home...so at least spray so we don't have to suffer the mosquitos.
Spider

Clifton Park, NY

#24 Jul 27, 2010
The Health Dept. made a decision and we must live with it. In the future our City Council should "play nice" and not ruffle the feathers of the Health Dept.(especialy Dr. Adamo), no matter how many citizens are clamoring for help.

For all our sakes, I hope we are not hit with any infectious diseases that mosquitoes carry.
yamon

Middlefield, MA

#25 Jul 27, 2010
Oh Pittsfield you will never learn...your rivers and lakes are toxic...you have buried PCB"S on your playgrounds....Jesus F...ing Christ WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!! now they are going to spray you with chemicals HELLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO Mcfly....oh yeah it's safe hmm huh.
indeed

Clifton Park, NY

#26 Jul 27, 2010
Adamo states there have been no cases of West Nile virus here.. HOW IDIOTIC OF A STATEMENT can one make...

Does someone have to die of it first before we do preventative measures...
Jane Winn - BEAT

Northville, NY

#27 Jul 28, 2010
I've received a report from someone living in the neighborhood where the mosquito spraying did take place. This person had the windows open on the night of the spraying. Now this person's bronchitis has flared and she is having difficulty breathing. For those with breathing problems, introducing chemicals into the air can be debilitating. These chemicals are not benign. We don't know their long term effects or what they do in combination with all the other chemicals we've released in our environment. We never learn.
J Valby

Berne, NY

#28 Jul 28, 2010
On a re-run of the June 29 Pittsfield Health & Saftey Commission yesteray, the topic of spraying was being discussed. After the speaker spoke quite lengthy about the topic, the next order of business was being presented by the next speaker ..... who was..... Dr. Adamo.HE WAS THERE while it was being discussed. WHY DID HE NOT ASK QUESTIONS or SPEAK OUT at that time??????
Because

Berne, NY

#29 Jul 28, 2010
J Valby wrote:
On a re-run of the June 29 Pittsfield Health & Saftey Commission yesteray, the topic of spraying was being discussed. After the speaker spoke quite lengthy about the topic, the next order of business was being presented by the next speaker ..... who was..... Dr. Adamo.HE WAS THERE while it was being discussed. WHY DID HE NOT ASK QUESTIONS or SPEAK OUT at that time??????
Because he got his marching orders from Ruberto later.
J Valby

Berne, NY

#30 Jul 29, 2010
J Valby wrote:
OK..... an update..... LAST NIGHT was a re-run of the July 7 BOARD OF HEALTH meeting. The same speaker from the afore mentioned June 29 meeting spoke about the spraying at this meeting. I didn't watch it, just saw the beginning..... but again........ It was discussed ate the Board of Health meeting.... Dr. Adamo included.
REPLYBOT

Adams, MA

#31 Jul 29, 2010
Ethics violations and conflicts of interest seem rampant in Pittsfield politics.
REPLYBOT v. 2.13
call me a cynic

Pittsfield, MA

#32 Jan 23, 2015
2015, and who would have thought that the subject of spraying poison into the environment would still be controversial subject. I can only guess that there's still money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to be had for the continuation of allegedly poisoning children and dragonflies. Unless there's some other nefarious reason for spraying poisons.
call me a cynic

Pittsfield, MA

#33 Jan 24, 2015
yamon wrote:
Oh Pittsfield you will never learn...your rivers and lakes are toxic...you have buried PCB"S on your playgrounds....Jesus F...ing Christ WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!! now they are going to spray you with chemicals HELLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO Mcfly....oh yeah it's safe hmm huh.
But what you obviously forgot, is, children are Pittsfield's future!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheffield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Ilovekickboxing - Peabody (Dec '15) Apr 20 Kwilson 56
News Is Route 1 traffic light needed? (Sep '06) Apr 4 Bring em on 13
former students of the desisto school in stockb... (Feb '11) Mar 31 From Hawaii to Hell 63
News Pittsfield City Council: Candidate steps up for... Mar 24 Shakes My Head 6
News New Helen Moon Announces Candidacy For Pittsfie... Mar '17 Choochie 5
News ICE arrests Great Barrington man on decade-old ... Mar '17 Jose Dryback 66
News Feds: ATM skimmer admits stealing $127,000 Mar '17 Jose dry back 7

Sheffield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sheffield Mortgages