Pittsfield Pest spray put on hold

Pittsfield Pest spray put on hold

There are 33 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jul 26, 2010, titled Pittsfield Pest spray put on hold. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

A program to spray mosquito-killing chemicals across the city was put on hold Monday -- just hours after it had begun -- to give the Board of Health time to review the use of the adulticides.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Spider

Clifton Park, NY

#1 Jul 27, 2010
My, my,......that bad old City Council. Why how dare they do what the Health Dept. should have done 2 yrs. ago...passed a mosquito control program.

Many of us will have to be content with bothersome mosquitoes the rest of the summer because the Health Dept.'s feelings are hurt.

Don't you just love it when our city government acts like kids on a playground.

I suggest the Health Dept. start doing its job....and our City Council won't have to do it for them.

I am disgusted!
Diane

Pittsfield, MA

#2 Jul 27, 2010
I am a mosquito magnet, they love me so I can sympathize with people who have a problem with mosquitoes. We have been able to tolerate them by putting tablets in wet areas around our home in the spring which we were told by someone who had researched them that they were safe for animals, insects and birds. When we go outdoors we use skin so soft wipes.
Our society has been bombarded with chemicals in the past few decades and several cancer institutes are looking at the effects of these chemicals as causing cancer. I was pleased to read that Health commissioner Jim Wilusz and Chairman of the Board of Health stopped the spraying of chemicals. What people often don't think of is the long term health effect and how the chemicals effect our environment, plants, crops, animals, birds, fish and all insects including bees. The warning pamphlet that says it's toxic to aquatic organisms and bees should be enough from a company that has monetary gains.
I agree completley with Jane Winn. Haven't we learned from DDT?
Tricia

Easthampton, MA

#3 Jul 27, 2010
I agree with the Health Dept. on this issue. This city is already a chemical stew from GE. Enough already. The mosquitos aren't even that bad this year. Yes, we avoid some bug bites, but end up with high cancer rates years from now. Is it worth it?
Lead Hazzard

United States

#4 Jul 27, 2010
I DO NOT want this crap sprayed on my yard. They're not even that bad this year.
David

Lenox, MA

#5 Jul 27, 2010
We live on West Housatonic out by Lebanon Ave. Mosquitoes have not been a real problem this year for us. I am more concerned about the flood control areas installed at the West Housatonic Shopping Center as thes appear to be prime breeding grounds for mosquitoes. It would seem that controling breeding spots would make more sense than chemical sprays.
TheTruth

Adams, MA

#6 Jul 27, 2010
This as west nile kills another horse in MA and a couple of adults.
Tom

Schenectady, NY

#7 Jul 27, 2010
Spider wrote:
My, my,......that bad old City Council. Why how dare they do what the Health Dept. should have done 2 yrs. ago...passed a mosquito control program.
Many of us will have to be content with bothersome mosquitoes the rest of the summer because the Health Dept.'s feelings are hurt.
Don't you just love it when our city government acts like kids on a playground.
I suggest the Health Dept. start doing its job....and our City Council won't have to do it for them.
I am disgusted!
I agree. Mosquitos have been bombarding the city for years. Just because it's a dry summer doesn't mean it's not going to be a problem next year and beyond. It's like saying that global warming doesn't exist because we had a warm winter...just stupid. Start spraying, I want it in my neighborhood now!
Thanks Tom

Berne, NY

#8 Jul 27, 2010
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Mosquitos have been bombarding the city for years. Just because it's a dry summer doesn't mean it's not going to be a problem next year and beyond. It's like saying that global warming doesn't exist because we had a warm winter...just stupid. Start spraying, I want it in my neighborhood now!
Thanks for letting us know you swallow the man-made global warming Kool-Aid, Tom. Now we know to immediately discount anything else you say.
really

Ellington, CT

#9 Jul 27, 2010
really??......you really believe there is no such thing as global warming effects???.....you need to come out of your liberal hole, and read up on your science journals. People like you are the reason the republicans are looking at sarah palin as the next president..........NOW THAT'S SOME SCARY IDEA!!!!
Incoherency

Berne, NY

#10 Jul 27, 2010
really wrote:
really??......you really believe there is no such thing as global warming effects???.....you need to come out of your liberal hole, and read up on your science journals. People like you are the reason the republicans are looking at sarah palin as the next president..........NOW THAT'S SOME SCARY IDEA!!!!
Incoherency is a terrible affliction. Get the help you need pronto.
MmeMba

Parker, CO

#11 Jul 27, 2010
Thanks Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for letting us know you swallow the man-made global warming Kool-Aid, Tom. Now we know to immediately discount anything else you say.
Yes, there it is!
Ego man

Pittsfield, MA

#12 Jul 27, 2010
You have got to be kidding me!

This isn't about the health safty at all, its about Dr. Adamo's ego, plain and simple.

If you watched the PUBLIC hearing the Board of Health had on the topic, every question possible was asked and answered. You could tell Dr. Adamo was angry that this passed the City Council without going to his committee first. He even said so during the meeting and again was quoted as saying such in the paper today.

Last time I checked, the City Council was elected, not Dr. Adamo. If the people don't like the program, they can vote out the councilors.

This also seems to smell like retribution. You see, Dr. Adamo didn't get a nurse approved in his budget. My understanding is that he was quite angry about this. This must be his way of paying back the council.

Oh yeah, I forgot this tid bit of information...Dr. Adamo was all for the spraying program three years ago but couldn't get it done. Is he angry that the council got it done for him?

Maybe its time he resign. He seems a bit tired, angry and mean spirited.
Unhinged

Berne, NY

#13 Jul 27, 2010
Ego man wrote:
You have got to be kidding me!
This isn't about the health safty at all, its about Dr. Adamo's ego, plain and simple.
If you watched the PUBLIC hearing the Board of Health had on the topic, every question possible was asked and answered. You could tell Dr. Adamo was angry that this passed the City Council without going to his committee first. He even said so during the meeting and again was quoted as saying such in the paper today.
Last time I checked, the City Council was elected, not Dr. Adamo. If the people don't like the program, they can vote out the councilors.
This also seems to smell like retribution. You see, Dr. Adamo didn't get a nurse approved in his budget. My understanding is that he was quite angry about this. This must be his way of paying back the council.
Oh yeah, I forgot this tid bit of information...Dr. Adamo was all for the spraying program three years ago but couldn't get it done. Is he angry that the council got it done for him?
Maybe its time he resign. He seems a bit tired, angry and mean spirited.
Anyone "working" with the Mayor/City Council (they are one and the same) will eventually lose their sanity. They are responsible for his becoming unhinged.
Ego man

Pittsfield, MA

#14 Jul 27, 2010
Unhinged wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone "working" with the Mayor/City Council (they are one and the same) will eventually lose their sanity. They are responsible for his becoming unhinged.
N "they" aren't. Dr. Adamo isn't charged with making policy, the City Council is. That is how it works. Did you vote for Dr. Adamo? I don't remember seeing his name on the ballot.

Dr. Adamo couldn't get the job done, so the Council did it for him. Dr. Adamo is responsible for this coming unhinged. He should follow the directive given him, manage it, or quit.
are you serious

Clockville, NY

#15 Jul 27, 2010
Mosquitos are a part of life. Wear some bug spray and buy a candle for outside. Deal with it. We don't need to be spraying chemicals around this city because ppl can't handle a few bugs.
Your child

Berne, NY

#16 Jul 27, 2010
are you serious wrote:
Mosquitos are a part of life. Wear some bug spray and buy a candle for outside. Deal with it. We don't need to be spraying chemicals around this city because ppl can't handle a few bugs.
I hope and pray that if a child in Berkshire County comes down with one of the many diseases mosquitoes can carry that it is YOUR child instead of mine.
Oh Really

New York, NY

#17 Jul 27, 2010
"Adamo said that although mosquitoes do pose the risk of West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis, there have not been any cases reported in Berkshire County." And, according to Jane Winn "It seems that the risk of disease from mosquitoes is really tiny compared to use of chemicals," she said. "Even with integrated pest management, I think more people will have their lives shortened from the use of these chemicals. It seems we didn't learn a thing from our use of DDT." Unfortunately, citronella candles and garlic spray, not to mention lemon grass and other natural plants don't do enough to keep the mosquitos away when you live near brooks, streams and other bodies of water or near woody areas. Having suffered from encephalitis, I can assure you that I do all I can to protect myself and my family from these insects. I would not want to wait until the diseases begin to pop up before taking any action as Adamo suggests and, if you buy into Ms. Winn's philosophy, you wouldn't consider vaccinating youself or your children as the risks of getting many of the diseases covered by the vaccinations are tiny compared to getting the actual vaccination. It's all relative, right? Unless you've actually had one of those diseases.
Ego man

Pittsfield, MA

#18 Jul 27, 2010
are you serious wrote:
Car accidents are a part of life too, so why buckle up? Pedofiles are a part of life too, so deal with it.

How about, if you can protect yourself from something bad, "just do it".
nice

Warwick, MA

#19 Jul 27, 2010
Your child wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope and pray that if a child in Berkshire County comes down with one of the many diseases mosquitoes can carry that it is YOUR child instead of mine.
"Hope and pray" for harm to a child. A perfect christian. Tell me, christian, how many of those diseases have been documented in Berkshire County?

"The program uses an insecticide called Duet to kill adult mosquitoes. The product's information page indicates that it is toxic to aquatic organisms and bees."

As long as you sissies are comfortable, who cares how many non-target species are killed, right? Why don't we just spray that crap inside your houses to make sure no mosquitos are going to bother you while you're watching television?
Harry Case

United States

#20 Jul 27, 2010
If the adulticide is toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms I think that fact would preclude it's use. Unless, of course the government is prepared to pay residents for the loss of the fish in their garden ponds and deal with damage to local wild fish populations as well as the disruption of the aquatic ecosystems in the area. The use of the host specific bacteria seems to me the better choice.

Http://www.pestcontrolcenter.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheffield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Ilovekickboxing - Peabody (Dec '15) Thu Ljms890 62
News ICE arrests Great Barrington man on decade-old ... May 9 Paul Kersey 75
News Ex-Police Chief Buffis to sell home to pay for ... (Sep '13) May 8 Irate taxpayer 38
News New digs for Barrington Stage May 4 the city I hate 2
News Superior Court Briefs: April 26 - April 27 Apr 30 Paul Kersey 1
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Apr '17 SadButTrue 10
News Is Route 1 traffic light needed? (Sep '06) Apr '17 Bring em on 13

Sheffield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sheffield Mortgages