Candidates for sheriff take different...

Candidates for sheriff take different approaches

There are 23 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Jul 2, 2010, titled Candidates for sheriff take different approaches. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

If the race for Berkshire County sheriff comes down to which candidate has more lawn signs, Tom Bowler is clearly winning the ground war.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Confused

Williamstown, MA

#1 Jul 2, 2010
Massimiano is still Sheriff right? Or did he resign? I saw a sign in Adams that said Sheriff Bosley which I might add is difficult to read. Bosley is till state rep not sheriff. Isn't he a little premature in referring to himself as sheriff? The election isn't until September 14.
Curtis

Easthampton, MA

#2 Jul 2, 2010
If 'BOZ' paid 5 grand for that 'Fu Man Chu' logo he got ripped off! If that's how he's going to spend my tax dollars--I'll be voting for Bowler for Sheriff! My 5 yr old made a better drawing of a bearded man than that in about 10 seconds. Why would a politician that's been in 'business' for over 20 years with all these great credentials and credits to his name(so he says--just ask him) even need a professional image builder? Answer-because all he has to build on IS a beard-which has been hiding the true face of Bosley forever. Good luck Mr. PR Pro! Tom Bowler for Sheriff-experience-integrity! Mr. Bowler--if you or your people are reading this and feel you need some drawings for your image building--let me know-my kid will do them for a lot less--say--a new box of crayons & a T-shirt-and a Bowler Ball! Speaking of the Bowler Ball--there should be one right after the election---where else but at the bowling alley--a Bowler win will be a 300 game! How about instead of a debate, the candidates have a Bowl Off for charity? If Dan Loses he shaves his beard--if he wins, Tom grows one!
Kind of Scary

Fort Edward, NY

#3 Jul 2, 2010
Curtis wrote:
If 'BOZ' paid 5 grand for that 'Fu Man Chu' logo he got ripped off! If that's how he's going to spend my tax dollars--I'll be voting for Bowler for Sheriff! My 5 yr old made a better drawing of a bearded man than that in about 10 seconds. Why would a politician that's been in 'business' for over 20 years with all these great credentials and credits to his name(so he says--just ask him) even need a professional image builder? Answer-because all he has to build on IS a beard-which has been hiding the true face of Bosley forever. Good luck Mr. PR Pro! Tom Bowler for Sheriff-experience-integrity! Mr. Bowler--if you or your people are reading this and feel you need some drawings for your image building--let me know-my kid will do them for a lot less--say--a new box of crayons & a T-shirt-and a Bowler Ball! Speaking of the Bowler Ball--there should be one right after the election---where else but at the bowling alley--a Bowler win will be a 300 game! How about instead of a debate, the candidates have a Bowl Off for charity? If Dan Loses he shaves his beard--if he wins, Tom grows one!
I agree the "branding" that Dan paid for is kind of scary. I have one of his hand outs from from the convention that shows only a black beard and eyes (with eyebrows) against a red background and it looks creepy and like the devil. Isn't this the same PR firm that "helped" John Barrett get re-elected? Probably not a great way to spend the cash. But Bosely's not completely stupid - he knows he's going to lose. He must have some other agenda but I can't figure it out.

And Dan's still in the legislature and didn't the Berkshire County Sheriff's Office budget just get cut???????? Vote Bowler.
want to know

Queensbury, NY

#4 Jul 4, 2010
If you want a sheriff with a beard, hire Santa Claus!
So they say

Queensbury, NY

#5 Jul 4, 2010
Word around town is that Bosley is saying that if he does not win then he will run for Mayor of North Adams. Lots of luck Dan!
Kind of Scary wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree the "branding" that Dan paid for is kind of scary. I have one of his hand outs from from the convention that shows only a black beard and eyes (with eyebrows) against a red background and it looks creepy and like the devil. Isn't this the same PR firm that "helped" John Barrett get re-elected? Probably not a great way to spend the cash. But Bosely's not completely stupid - he knows he's going to lose. He must have some other agenda but I can't figure it out.
And Dan's still in the legislature and didn't the Berkshire County Sheriff's Office budget just get cut???????? Vote Bowler.
wow

Easthampton, MA

#6 Jul 4, 2010
He's not Sheriff. He should be able to do what the guards can do if he wants the job. Physically. How many sit ups, push-ups, how far can he run...can he exert himself?
Could he take down prisoner? What if he was in a hostage situation? How would he handle it up close and personal?
He shouldn't refer to himself as Sheriff, it's just wishful thinking.
Mr Greenjeans

Fort Edward, NY

#7 Jul 5, 2010
So they say wrote:
Word around town is that Bosley is saying that if he does not win then he will run for Mayor of North Adams. Lots of luck Dan!
<quoted text>
The only race he can run and win is to the dessert table. His greatest accomplishment was electric rate deregulation. How about those fuel charges and all the other green costs for biomass and wind. Energy costs are the record he is running on. Time to retire and call it a career.
Wake UP

Springfield, MA

#8 Jul 5, 2010
I saw those signs too and quite frankly it burns me up to see the little trick he is trying to pull! By putting a sign up that says "sheriff bosley", the average person who may not be following things too closely will probably just assume that he is in fact the sheriff and on election day, will carry that thought to the polls and will show a display of voter apathy and simply vote for who they perceive to be an incumbent. This is undoubtedly a trick that is being used by his high dollar PR firm. So I ask you, aside from all of the other reasons not to vote for this man, why would anyone even consider someone who is blatently trying to trick you out of your vote?
Confused wrote:
Massimiano is still Sheriff right? Or did he resign? I saw a sign in Adams that said Sheriff Bosley which I might add is difficult to read. Bosley is till state rep not sheriff. Isn't he a little premature in referring to himself as sheriff? The election isn't until September 14.
wow

Easthampton, MA

#9 Jul 5, 2010
Curtis is right...he really can burn thru the money!!!!
Justanothermom

Clockville, NY

#10 Jul 5, 2010
So they say wrote:
<quoted text>
Bosley running for mayor of NA might not be a bad idea. No offense to DA, but if somebody is going to run against him, it may as well be someone qualified in the ways of politics. He already has established contacts in Boston and knows how to get the money.
guy

New Berlin, NY

#11 Jul 5, 2010
Wake UP wrote:
I saw those signs too and quite frankly it burns me up to see the little trick he is trying to pull! By putting a sign up that says "sheriff bosley", the average person who may not be following things too closely will probably just assume that he is in fact the sheriff and on election day, will carry that thought to the polls and will show a display of voter apathy and simply vote for who they perceive to be an incumbent. This is undoubtedly a trick that is being used by his high dollar PR firm. So I ask you, aside from all of the other reasons not to vote for this man, why would anyone even consider someone who is blatently trying to trick you out of your vote?
<quoted text>
Great post! That was my take on it, too. Just viewed the campaign website - RED AND BLACK??? Boz, you just threw away your whole bank balance on some punk who has played too many video games. Based on the campaign signs and websites ALONE, Bosley shows us that he has reached his "level of incompetence". He's way out of his league in this race.

Branding? BRANDING??? WHAT ARE YOU SELLING? How about QUALIFICATIONS, Dan! God help us all, because apparently these high-priced tricks work on some people.

Whoa! What's with the cute-ified red-face beard button? Dan, are you nuts? What's your angle? That looks like... well, a hellish Colonel Sanders.... or maybe an amped up, tattoo-bearing Pillsbury Doughboy. Gone bad.

A Sumo Happy-Face, wahooo!

This is a pathetic way to end a respectable career. What's WRONG, Dan? Why are you doing this?

guy

New Berlin, NY

#12 Jul 5, 2010
How about the stony jail-like walls behind Boz (trying to look steely-eyed). SNORT! Whose idea was THAT? Good grief.

Dan, get a haircut that includes trimming over your ears and along your collar. Then find a nice WOMAN BARBER to trim and shape your beard properly. Your PR firm should have already told you this.
really

Springfield, MA

#13 Jul 5, 2010
Is DB saying that those of us with out facial hair are not trustworthy? Even if it's tongue in cheek, i don't think it's funny. Not Sheriff Dan...GET A CLUE!!!!
guy

New Berlin, NY

#14 Jul 6, 2010
DB has "branded" his beard, spent % 5000 doing so. And to what effect?

So... do y'all want a "branded beard" for Sheriff of Nottingham?(Just wondering.)

Bowler has "branded" his badge, as opposed to his facial hair. That seems adult. There's a big dif there. I like a high law enforcement officer to have AT LEAST the amount of physical and cultural prowess as his staff and his jailed charges have.

And he ought not to look (or act) shaggy, short, fat, out-of-condition, or off-guard in a Sheriff's Hat, either.

My 2 cents.

SITTING PRETTY

Queensbury, NY

#16 Jul 7, 2010
Nice try "justanothermom" but, your boy is just one of "the boys of Boston". He has lost his clout, mingled with the Speaker of the House who is being investigated for illegal activities. For you info. Dan is one of if not, the most traveled Legislators in the State. Traveling on taxpayers dollars. Tell us what economic development of magnitude has he brought to the State or the area? Dan is out of the power loop in Boston and just wanting a good job that pays well, has prestige and will add dollars to the State pension. Interested in your comments! PS Dan is a likeable fellow but has been just anther game player feathering his and his friends nest. He is not qualified to be Sheriff nor would we vote for him as Mayor. Way to close to John Barrett's circle.
Justanothermom wrote:
<quoted text>
Bosley running for mayor of NA might not be a bad idea. No offense to DA, but if somebody is going to run against him, it may as well be someone qualified in the ways of politics. He already has established contacts in Boston and knows how to get the money.
your_next

Pittsfield, MA

#17 Jul 11, 2010
Justanothermom wrote:
<quoted text>
Get the Money? North Adams has been the poorest city in the state of massachusetts since he became state rep!
it_over

Pittsfield, MA

#18 Jul 11, 2010
Dan doesn't even want to be sheriff, he is being paid to run so he can hand it off to a judges son! He has many job offers in the private sector, this is just a last ditch effort for the good old men ,who like little boys to stay in power!
Stand up

Easthampton, MA

#19 Jul 11, 2010
Well lets hope that the people of this county, state and country have had enough of this and seen enough of this and stand up to end this kind of politics. The status quo has been in play for far too long and look at the deplorable place it has gotten us on all levels. This is simply a situation where the best candidate is one who has 3 decades in law enforcement and his elction to this position should be ano brainer over some fat cat who is running for all of the wrong reasons.
it_over wrote:
Dan doesn't even want to be sheriff, he is being paid to run so he can hand it off to a judges son! He has many job offers in the private sector, this is just a last ditch effort for the good old men ,who like little boys to stay in power!
Ouch

Fort Edward, NY

#20 Jul 11, 2010
it_over wrote:
Ouch. Truth hurts.
anything goes

Pittsfield, MA

#21 Jul 11, 2010
If anyone thinks that "Ten Pin" Bowler is in the race to give back to the community your all dreaming. He can taste the power, the money, the pension, the favors, you name it. I'm not a Bosely backer but I know BS when I read it. His people are probably sittng in campaign head quarters surfing the blogs looking for any chance to bash the other candidate .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheffield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pittsfield City Council: Candidate steps up for... Mar 24 Shakes My Head 6
News New Helen Moon Announces Candidacy For Pittsfie... Mar 22 Choochie 5
News ICE arrests Great Barrington man on decade-old ... Mar 20 Jose Dryback 66
News Feds: ATM skimmer admits stealing $127,000 Mar 19 Jose dry back 7
News It's serious when the coffeehouses close Mar 15 Cops are Degenerates 2
News Is Route 1 traffic light needed? (Sep '06) Mar 10 Shrinking shares 12
Erica Mello Murdered? (Oct '06) Mar 8 queencpt 27

Sheffield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance