At Issue: Should some hotel rooms be designated for smoking?

Aug 19, 2009 Full story: Wisconsin State Journal 11

Wisconsin inns and hotels would be able to allow smoking in up to 25 percent of their rooms under a bill in the Legislature that would amend the statewide smoking ban.

Full Story
Andy

Chicago, IL

#1 Aug 19, 2009
I am all for this. I believe people have the right to choose, and setting the bar as low at 25% means most people will not have trouble finding a smoke-free room. I suppose they could make a rule that all smoking rooms need to be segregated to minimize any drift effects.

Otherwise, I'd love to see a 10-25% rule for bars/taverns.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#2 Aug 20, 2009
Due to the "sunset provision" on page 15 of the tobacco control handbook, these bans are pretty much "cast in stone" until the next election. See page 15:
http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/CIA_Fundamentals....
Smokers reek

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Feb 18, 2012
Make them sleep in their cars. Too bad they don't all die so the rest of us don't have to smell these degenerates in lineups.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#6 Feb 19, 2012
Hotels, no. Motels, maybe, provided they have separate access.
Fred Farnsworth

Windsor Mill, MD

#7 Feb 19, 2012
Many years ago I was in a club in Amsterdam. They had a room for smokers that looked like an opium den.
imapie

Waupaca, WI

#8 Feb 28, 2012
Most smokers will go outside if the facility doesn't allow it. All smokers aren't bad
and rude, just horribly addicted.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#9 Feb 29, 2012
imapie wrote:
Most smokers will go outside if the facility doesn't allow it. All smokers aren't bad and rude, just horribly addicted.
When "outside" translates to "onto the balcony I have to traverse to reach my motel room" I have to say there needs to be a stronger regulation. A part of that addiction is a skewed sense of proportion that gives the convenience of the fix a strangely high importance with respect to the letter of the rules/laws. "Is anyone with authority going to come by in the time I spend doing this?" and "Am I really going to mind what little they can do if they catch me?" become the relevant questions instead of "Is this the right/acceptable thing to do?"
Winston

Pearland, TX

#10 Feb 29, 2012
Smokers Suck. Most have yellow teeth and fingers. They should stop selling all tobacco products. Why should I have to pay for your future health problems ?
Butt Breath

Winnipeg, Canada

#11 Feb 29, 2012
Design the rooms to resemble ashtrays. They'll smell like them anyway, so Y not
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#12 Feb 29, 2012
Andy wrote:
I am all for this. I believe people have the right to choose, and setting the bar as low at 25% means most people will not have trouble finding a smoke-free room. I suppose they could make a rule that all smoking rooms need to be segregated to minimize any drift effects.
Otherwise, I'd love to see a 10-25% rule for bars/taverns.
Make it illegal for smokers to enter the other 75-90%--or to hang around out front spewing their smoke at everyone who wants to enter?
Winston

Pearland, TX

#13 Mar 1, 2012
I suggest they not be allowed to smoke in bars or restaurants. They should have to go outside behind the trash dumpster where no one can see them. We don't want kids to pick up those bad habits by seeing them smoke.

Smokers Sink ! You can smell them as soon as they walk into a room, I don't care how much calogne or perfume they have on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheboygan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Justice Department warns of gangs in Wisconsin (Dec '08) Aug '14 Kin9 5horty 66
Hoffman's At Riverdale - Chocolate Chiffon Pie ... (Nov '13) Aug '14 Kay M 3
Pink spotted on riverfront 8/5 Aug '14 Riverside 1
Asher Heinnerman - Smart Feller' or Fart Smeller? Jul '14 Stinky Faye 1
Frank from Fountain Park motel in sheboygan wis Jul '14 curious 1
What's the status of the Plymouth-to-Kohler rai... Jun '14 DC railroad buff ... 1
Man charged with child enticement (Mar '07) May '14 amy 14
Sheboygan Dating
Find my Match

Sheboygan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Sheboygan News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Sheboygan

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:00 am PST

NBC Sports11:00AM