Hoffman's At Riverdale - Chocolate Ch...

Hoffman's At Riverdale - Chocolate Chiffon Pie Recipe

Posted in the Sheboygan Falls Forum

Getting it right

Bailey, TX

#1 Nov 9, 2013
This is an unusual request for Topix, but years ago we had dinner at what was then Hoffman's At Riverdale - a restaurant on the south side of the city.

I ate the best piece of chocolate chiffon pie I have ever tasted and have been looking for the recipe for years.

If anyone has the recipe, or knows where I can find it I would certainly appreciate it.
Try to help

Denison, TX

#2 Jul 29, 2014
Most of the folks who worked there and might have the recipe are gone (died). I don't think any of the Hoffman's Riverdale recipes were ever published. Their coleslaw was awesome, too.
Kay M

Center Ossipee, NH

#3 Aug 18, 2014
Getting it right wrote:
This is an unusual request for Topix, but years ago we had dinner at what was then Hoffman's At Riverdale - a restaurant on the south side of the city.
I ate the best piece of chocolate chiffon pie I have ever tasted and have been looking for the recipe for years.
If anyone has the recipe, or knows where I can find it I would certainly appreciate it.
I grew up in Sheboygan. I have a recipe for Riverdale Chocolate pie that is 50 years old and not very 'complete'- as were most of my Mom's recipes. Here is what is on my recipe card: 1 egg, vanilla, 2/3 C sugar, 2/3 C milk, 1 pkg Knox gelatin in 1/4 C water, 3 squares Baker's Chocolate, salt. Cream together. Cook in double boiler until thickens. Take 2/3 C evaporated milk and chill in freezing compartment. Beat stiff. Fold in choc. mixture. Beat egg white and fold in. Put in chocolate cookie crust and chill. Serve with whipped cream.

When I made this recently, I used unsweetened baking chocolate because that is the only kind I can remember my Mom had in the cupboard. I used 1 tsp vanilla and added it AFTER I took it off of the stove. I used 1/4 t salt. Not sure what "cream together" means before putting it in double boiler, so I chopped up the chocolate and put everything in double boiler. Obviously I cooled the chocolate mixture before adding the whipped evaporated milk and whipped egg white. Good luck and have fun.
betty

Sheboygan, WI

#4 Sep 30, 2017
does anyone have the coleslaw receipe

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheboygan Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Not just fluff and buff: Spas emphasize wellnes... Sep '17 Felix Goebbels 2
Spark Jul '17 robert 1
Shopping in Sheboygan (Jun '17) Jun '17 Sabu 1
News Weissler, Joseph B. (Dec '08) Mar '17 Geo k Weissler 2
News What's the status of the Plymouth-to-Kohler rai... (Jun '14) Jun '14 DC railroad buff ... 1
News Three brothers allowed to play basketball Frida... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Kevin E Washington 1
Considering moving family to Sheboygan Falls (Apr '13) Apr '13 David 3

Sheboygan Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sheboygan Falls Mortgages