Former Teacher Wants to Clear His Name

Former Teacher Wants to Clear His Name

There are 19 comments on the Fox4KC story from May 2, 2010, titled Former Teacher Wants to Clear His Name. In it, Fox4KC reports that:

A popular Shawnee Mission School District teacher is looking to clear his name. In November, Ryan Haraughty was fired after being accused of creating a sexually hostile environment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox4KC.

A Teacher

Olathe, KS

#1 May 2, 2010
Ryan has behaved inappropriately and unprofessional.
Future teacher

United States

#2 May 2, 2010
A Teacher wrote:
Ryan has behaved inappropriately and unprofessional.
While I agree with your assertion, I am not impressed with your grammar. As a teacher, you should be more careful with your adverbs and adjectives. He may have behaved unprofessionally or in an unprofessional manner, but he has NOT behaved "unprofessional."
AtwoodOn36

Warsaw, MO

#3 May 2, 2010
If he wanted to clear his name, he would have to be innocent. He already admitted to the charges so how does he expect to "clear his name". I think what he really means is "he doesn't like the consequences" of his actions.

Since: Jan 10

Lenexa, KS

#4 May 2, 2010
Seems to me that the district is 'splitting hairs' here. If a former President can claim that what he did with an intern is not sex, then where unpardonable sin did this teacher commit? This is the 21st century, not the 18th. I dare say that 90% of average everyday conversation could be deemed 'inappropriate' to someone. Grow up, get a life & give the man his job back.

Lenexa, KS

#5 May 2, 2010
'sigh' the challenges of posting after a long day at work. The 'where' in the second line should be 'what'... excuse me. :)
Kelly

Kansas City, MO

#6 May 3, 2010
Future teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree with your assertion, I am not impressed with your grammar. As a teacher, you should be more careful with your adverbs and adjectives. He may have behaved unprofessionally or in an unprofessional manner, but he has NOT behaved "unprofessional."
Are you kidding me? You took time out of your busy day to critique someone else's post, and what you said had nothing to do with the matter had hand. Who cares if you are not impressed with the person's grammar.

"Future Teacher" you need to grow up a little bit. Use this comment section for what it's supposed to be used for.

He acted inappropriately because he was a popular teacher and thought he'd get by with it.

He got caught and is now obviously regretting what he did. Keeping this news in the limelight isn't going to change the fact that he messed up.
Oh my

Pasadena, TX

#7 May 3, 2010
Nuf said about a Hostile environment eh?
cat lover

United States

#8 May 3, 2010
Ok, this is so silly, theres so MANY teachers fighting for there jobs we surely so not need these type of teachers! He has been warned many times so it seems to me he thought the rules did not apply to him perhaps. Weed out the bad ones! lol
Malva

Oklahoma City, OK

#9 May 4, 2010
I have a question. Are all of you posters assuming that what you read is correctly portrayed? Do you believe that the news reports are completely accurate, and that you're even hearing everything that was said in them completely unedited and in context? Or have you actually sat in the classroom and heard these inappropriate comments, and are therefore confident that this is a horrible guy?
If you do admit that sometimes news reports summarize events in ways to sensationalize them, you might also realize that the process of news reporting can create a bias. In other words, things might not always happen the way they're portrayed in the media.
Also, if you had sat in Ryan's classroom, I'm pretty confident that most of you would be out there, protesting for him to get his job back. However, since none of you have said that you know him, or have been in his class, I'm guessing you are basing you decisions about whether or not this man, and his whole family's life should be ruined on what you've read rather than what you actually experienced.
cat lover

United States

#10 May 4, 2010
Malva wrote:
I have a question. Are all of you posters assuming that what you read is correctly portrayed? Do you believe that the news reports are completely accurate, and that you're even hearing everything that was said in them completely unedited and in context? Or have you actually sat in the classroom and heard these inappropriate comments, and are therefore confident that this is a horrible guy?
If you do admit that sometimes news reports summarize events in ways to sensationalize them, you might also realize that the process of news reporting can create a bias. In other words, things might not always happen the way they're portrayed in the media.
Also, if you had sat in Ryan's classroom, I'm pretty confident that most of you would be out there, protesting for him to get his job back. However, since none of you have said that you know him, or have been in his class, I'm guessing you are basing you decisions about whether or not this man, and his whole family's life should be ruined on what you've read rather than what you actually experienced.
Its not I believe everything the news says....he admitted it himself! He was also warned several times...is the school lying? Just wondering???
Ryegate

Lees Summit, MO

#11 May 4, 2010
Malva, you are correct. Every posting on here so far is from people outside the situation. They are clueless. Both of my children have had him as a teacher, one would still, but Mr. Haraughty was removed. He is far and away an amazing teacher, and the posters would agree if they had him. The issue is the principal. She rules with contempt for her teachers and they fear her, fear for their jobs. He has never been afraid of her, and she therefore punishes him by making issues that aren't there and exaggerating what is nothing. Ask ANY parent who has students there - she is the problem, she is damaging the school and his reputation. Please don't post unless you know the facts.
Malva

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 May 5, 2010
My point was that because of the fact that a news article has to be presented in a limited amount of space, it cannot cover all the background, and often does not put thigns in context. It is NOT true that almost everything the district has accused him of, Ryan has admitted. That is what the district lawyer claims. That is why Ryan signed "go to he**" on the last write-up- he wasn't going to admit to something he didn't do. So the commenters claim that he did them, soley on the article is a mis-interpretation of what was said, but also what happened.

Of course he has made mistakes and he has apologized for them. I'm just saying that if you don't know what is going on, don't blast someone. The whole problem with this issue is that Ryan has been assumed guilty from the beginning and now has to prove his innocence. That is not the way our system is supposed to operate.
teach

Overland Park, KS

#13 May 5, 2010
As has been pointed out in previous postings, most people posting do not have the full facts regarding this situation. So, Ryegate, have you worked with this principal? You seem to think you know what you are talking about, but I'm guessing that what you are posting as the truth is what you have gathered from talking to other teachers who are his friends (of course friends would be supportive of each other) or other parents who don't truly know what has happened. Do you honestly think that a district has NOTHING better to do with their time and resources than to invent these allegations against this one teacher? Come on! On average, it takes between 3-5 years to fire a teacher. The ONLY time teachers are fired after ONE incident is when students are in immediate danger. Any level-headed person would understand that a teacher (especially one so "well-respected" as Haraughty) would not be fired over one "innocent" comment. So, perhaps you should check your facts before you post.

Lenexa, KS

#14 May 5, 2010
Since the principal refuses to speak to the media about the alleged incident(s), we heard only from parents who were outraged & the teacher involved. According to what I've read/heard from other reliable sources, the principal of that school is more of a dictator than an administrator. I suspect that the arbitrator in this case will find that the proper steps were not taken in firing the teacher and the district will reinstate him. The final resolution to this case will play out in a court of law if he is reinstated, because a lawsuit for unlawful discharge is surely pending. Like I said in an earlier post, 90% of the average, everyday conversations that people have with each other, will offend someone. This whole thing is idiotic & the teacher should be reinstated.

Lenexa, KS

#15 May 5, 2010
And 'teach', it is not necessary to have 'the full facts' before posting in this forum. This is a place where we can express our opinions based on the information provided or based on information we have knowledge of. By the same token, if information comes to the public knowledge that would cause us to change our opinions, then we should be adult enough to admit we were in error.
john

Overland Park, KS

#16 May 7, 2010
The SM school district wastes money everyday. Why doesn't the school board fire more teaches?
Suny

AOL

#17 May 7, 2010
john wrote:
The SM school district wastes money everyday. Why doesn't the school board fire more teaches?
That is really a broad statement....Why doesn't the school board fire more teaches?

How would you suggest they choose who to fire? Personal opinion or would you observe the teaching methods of the teachers? Perhaps you should substitue a few weeks for the school district and then offer suggestions. You might be surprised the challenges a teacher has on a daily basis.
Rob Smith

Overland Park, KS

#18 May 25, 2010
Suny wrote:
<quoted text>
That is really a broad statement....Why doesn't the school board fire more teaches?
How would you suggest they choose who to fire? Personal opinion or would you observe the teaching methods of the teachers? Perhaps you should substitue a few weeks for the school district and then offer suggestions. You might be surprised the challenges a teacher has on a daily basis.
The person that wrote on a construction sign thanking the voters for investing in schools should be fired next. The government doesn't invest in anything. THe government spends money on "public goods". Make kids walk to school, we wouldn't need the large paved parking lot if more of the little pigs would follow the herd to school. Nest take sports out of school. This would reduce the need for pools, gyms, and football fields. Once sports are gone so the the jerks that coach your little pigs.
Liberal Thinker

Overland Park, KS

#19 May 25, 2010
This teacher was disciplined by both the current and former principal. Several of the reprimands involved multiple incidents. Most were along the lines of using inappropriate language in front of middle school kids. Obviously, any teacher can make a mistake. Most probably do from time to time. That doesn't result in a write-up, much less a firing, particularly when the teacher is popular with the kids. Give the administrators, HR, and the district's lawyers some credit. This was an untenable situation that was only going to get worse and certainly had not gotten any better over the years. At some point you have to cut your losses.

On the last discipline letter he received, this teacher wrote "GO TO HELL" instead of signing it as he was obligated to do. Had he not done that, or had he admitted then that he had a problem, he might have kept his job. But he basically quit when he decided to "stand up" to the principal who was doing her job by responding to a legitimate complaint. All this amounts to is an employee that has a long history of problems, who is unrepentant, and who refused to comply with district policy. And he can't keep his "funny" sexual comments to himself in front of middle school kids....I think we can do much better for our children and he can find a job that lets him express himself the way he feels compelled to do so. It's a shame that a relatively few uninformed parents (district wouldn't talk about the repeated incidences over the past years because of HR rules) kept this going for so long and made it sound like a good guy was getting rail-roaded.

And to all of those that keep wanting to blame the principal. If that was true, in this day and age of the NEA and a generally very vocal and intelligent teacher corps, don't you suppose those teachers would have been amongst the loudest protesters. Don't you think the administration would have investigated that complaint? Don't you think that the administration, upon review of the situation, would have figured it out? Come on...get real, as they say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shawnee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
skype sex (Jul '16) Aug 12 mike 30
Kevin marcus kuykendall ???? Aug 7 Wes 1
child sex offender in fairway k.a Aug 7 Wes 1
What was the name of the restauraunt behind the... Aug 1 bluebird8 1
News Kidnapping: When does pretend become real? (Dec '07) Jul 27 Tim 23
All about Overland Park Jul '17 dude 2
News Assistant principal on leave after drunken-driv... (Feb '09) Jul '17 former sms student 11

Shawnee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shawnee Mortgages