Two city council races on ballot in Grantville

Sep 5, 2009 Full story: The Times-Herald 99

Two city council races will be on the elections ballot in Grantville on Nov. 3. On Friday, the last day of municipal elections qualifying, Councilman Nick Sasso qualified for his seat, and Marion Cieslik qualified to challenge Councilwoman Rochelle Jabaley.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Judge Not

Smyrna, GA

#81 Nov 11, 2009
Grantville Diego wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no knowledge to back up or disagree with your assertion. But I do disagree with your next comment. Your desire to exclude any businessperson because one might take advantage of insider knowledge penalizes the city from good governess. Businesspeople create jobs, provide services, and help the community grow positively. All are capable of taking advantage of power. A non businessperson could inappropriately use there power to harass those they don't like or use city workers for their pet projects. This city is a business. Putting non-businesspeople in charge because they are nice or well known , I believe, is a big part of our current problem. Where do you get the skills to lead a city government? It is very hard in a small town to draw the people you need. We need to carefully access the individual and vote accordingly.
You are correct about business people and I probably shouldn't make inferences about all of them. You are also correct about having a small pool to draw from to get our leaders. I would add that within that small pool some will not throw their hat in because of the intense scrutiny and petty bickering. Anyway, we'll just have to see how things progress or not progress.

Since: Aug 09

Newnan, GA

#82 Nov 11, 2009
Helen wrote:
"The city is clearly at a high water mark for income received". You've got to be kidding me!
Are you suggesting that the city should NOT have any cash in reserve? to fix, um, broken water pipes would be a good example, and to be able to pay Coweta County for the lose of water due to broken pipes? It isn't the countys fault that Grantville can't afford to have new water lines put in becasue they don't raise taxes EVER! and therefore Grantville doesn't have the means to replace the pipes.
The Grantville citizen are being held accountable for these bills because the city can't afford to replace the well use utility lines - not to mention put in new line. There wasn't enough money to put in anything new.
Please explain this 'high water mark of income' in detail. Also explain how you are going to put in new water line using less tax money. I'd really like to know. The water lines in G'ville are over 70 years old.
<quoted text>
Why the anger? This is a discussion. Differing opinions. We're not fighting terrorist. Anger clouds your thoughts and actions. I'm happy to explain. No, I'm not kidding you. You jump to so many conclusions that have nothing to do with my comments. And you also exaggerate greatly to make your point. I believe the income received this year by the city of Grantville is at a peak. I believe next year the income received by the city (from all sources) will be less. Possibly, substantially less. I believe the council will be forced to cut back on services. That is my opinion. I have no say in the matter. I am only watching the economy. And yes, the city should have reserves. I have complained about spending, not reserves. You clearly defend all the taxing and spending as absolutely necessary. I disagree.
Heard It

Newnan, GA

#83 Nov 12, 2009
No, the other liquor store owners were NOT given this monetary reprieve as Ms. Jabaley was. She was strictly looking out for her bottom line with insider information.
Judge Not wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue is not if she is a good business person or not. It appears that she is. The issue is using the knowledge and power gained from your public service position to unfairly have an advantage over your competition. Were the other liscense holders offered the same deal? This is one of the reasons that I am completely opposed to ANY active business owner from holding public office. No matter your intentions, the human nature of self-preservation usuaully wins out.
Heard It

Newnan, GA

#84 Nov 12, 2009
Instead of whining on this forum...how about giving ANY of the council persons a call. I go to all the council meetings and have never seen as many people at a meeting as complain on this forum. Call them up or shut up already!
Grantville Diego wrote:
<quoted text>
If the city is going to raise fees, doesn't it have an obligation to announce those increases ahead of time? Would that not let everyone know what is coming and give them an equal footing? The "I hate Rochelle club" just lost the election. You lost badly. So is this your answer? Let's wine and cry. Where were you prior to Nov. 4? And if you were there, the majority didn't agree. Isn't it time to move on, do something productive?
Heard It

Newnan, GA

#85 Nov 12, 2009
Please advise what your comment about "do something productive" means. Share your ideas...

Yes, ALL increases are announced ahead of time. You obviously do not attend the meetings where the issues are discussed and the public made aware. There are also notices put in all utility bills about any increases. Or it is in the paper...
Grantville Diego wrote:
<quoted text>
If the city is going to raise fees, doesn't it have an obligation to announce those increases ahead of time? Would that not let everyone know what is coming and give them an equal footing? The "I hate Rochelle club" just lost the election. You lost badly. So is this your answer? Let's wine and cry. Where were you prior to Nov. 4? And if you were there, the majority didn't agree. Isn't it time to move on, do something productive?
just like to know

Newnan, GA

#86 Nov 12, 2009
Ms. Coty , I think you should use your real name and give us the REAL FACT'S
John

Newnan, GA

#87 Nov 12, 2009
just like to know wrote:
Ms. Coty , I think you should use your real name and give us the REAL FACT'S
Ms. Coty has had knee surgery and will be out of commission for a while. Try again!
just like to know

Newnan, GA

#88 Nov 12, 2009
She don't type with her foot dose she ? LOL
John wrote:
<quoted text>Ms. Coty has had knee surgery and will be out of commission for a while. Try again!
Helen

United States

#89 Nov 13, 2009
You meant to say hoof, didn't you - LMAO!!!!
just like to know wrote:
She don't type with her foot dose she ? LOL<quoted text>

Newnan, GA

#90 Nov 13, 2009
Heard It wrote:
Please advise what your comment about "do something productive" means. Share your ideas...
Yes, ALL increases are announced ahead of time. You obviously do not attend the meetings where the issues are discussed and the public made aware. There are also notices put in all utility bills about any increases. Or it is in the paper...
<quoted text>
"Do something productive" means different things to different people. But it's the results that count, or at least the effort. There are hundreds of things to do. Here are a few. Help Brother Ed at the Baptist Church with his Thursday AM Food Bank. Call Susan and ask how you can help the senior center. Either of those two can point you to numerous people in need. But hey, if you are not inclined to work with others, clean out your car, read a good book, go for a walk, call a friend. All those beat continuously repeating negative things about people you don't like.
Silly Me

United States

#91 Nov 13, 2009
Those are community organizations [church – SS Center]; it is the communities responsible to help with their needs.

The elected and the hired should concentrate on keeping the city supplied with its needs; affordable utilities, a clean environment, enforcing laws and ordinances, etc. THATs where the city should be productive. If time allows, they can do their community service after the city has been taken care of.(“community service” isn’t a naughty word when you volunteer).
Grantville Diego wrote:
<quoted text>
"Do something productive" means different things to different people. But it's the results that count, or at least the effort. There are hundreds of things to do. Here are a few. Help Brother Ed at the Baptist Church with his Thursday AM Food Bank. Call Susan and ask how you can help the senior center. Either of those two can point you to numerous people in need. But hey, if you are not inclined to work with others, clean out your car, read a good book, go for a walk, call a friend. All those beat continuously repeating negative things about people you don't like.
John

Newnan, GA

#92 Nov 13, 2009
I am done with these idiots. With the attitudes of some of these folks, Grantville will never, never change. I have been here for yrs. and it goes forward 1 step and backwards 10 steps. The people who make it advance 1 step get fed up and give up. Nothing will ever, ever change until we get that nasty Pizza eating clan out of Grantville. That is the root and until it is gone everything will remain the same. Anybody with any common sense I suggest you do the same...leave this post and don't come back. Let them talk their "trash" amongst themselves or at that nasty Pizza place where the sweat drips. And oh, by the way, "just like to know" it's does..not dose and if I had a knee operation the last place I would want to be is on this post. Give me a break! Signing off!!!!!!!!!!
John 2

United States

#93 Nov 13, 2009
Attitude? sounds like it takes one to know one, oh better-than-thee.
John wrote:
I am done with these idiots. With the attitudes of some of these folks, Grantville will never, never change. I have been here for yrs. and it goes forward 1 step and backwards 10 steps. The people who make it advance 1 step get fed up and give up. Nothing will ever, ever change until we get that nasty Pizza eating clan out of Grantville. That is the root and until it is gone everything will remain the same. Anybody with any common sense I suggest you do the same...leave this post and don't come back. Let them talk their "trash" amongst themselves or at that nasty Pizza place where the sweat drips. And oh, by the way, "just like to know" it's does..not dose and if I had a knee operation the last place I would want to be is on this post. Give me a break! Signing off!!!!!!!!!!

Newnan, GA

#94 Nov 13, 2009
Silly Me wrote:
Those are community organizations [church – SS Center]; it is the communities responsible to help with their needs.
The elected and the hired should concentrate on keeping the city supplied with its needs; affordable utilities, a clean environment, enforcing laws and ordinances, etc. THATs where the city should be productive. If time allows, they can do their community service after the city has been taken care of.(“community service” isn’t a naughty word when you volunteer).
<quoted text>
"Silly Me" indeed. Your response has nothing to do with my post. I clearly was referring to the "I Hate Rochelle" club that constantly repeats their disparaging remarks toward her. They should do something productive. Not repeatedly whine and complain after she won reelection. Being that negative over and over harms them more than their target. It indicates who you are, and who you are is miserable. By being productive instead, everything in your life improves. The real haters on here aren't harming others as much as they are harming themselves. As far as your post, it has nothing to do with mine. What you said about our elected officials and paid city employees is fine with me.
just like to know

Newnan, GA

#95 Nov 13, 2009
Lighten up , didn't you see the LOL at the end of my cocomment ! I was not trying to be disrespectful just adding a little humor , and sorry about the miss spelling , I am also not one of the pizza eat'in clan ,I was glad when Ms. Coty won , I am also not trying to call Ms. Coty out , I think all council people should use there names to post comments , I would just like to know the facts , not what somebody heard , I also would like to wish Ms. Coty a speedy recovery , If see used her real name i could put it on her post , I want her to be 100% when see takes office , P.S. I do like the hot wings every now and then !
John wrote:
Silly Me

United States

#96 Nov 13, 2009
Your post(s) are all over the place and not written clearly; therefore, I wasn't sure who you were 'clearly refering to'. My computer didn't come with a crystal ball, as yours seems to have.

Clearly my mistake - silly me.
Grantville Diego wrote:
<quoted text>
"Silly Me" indeed. Your response has nothing to do with my post. I clearly was referring to the "I Hate Rochelle" club that constantly repeats their disparaging remarks toward her. They should do something productive. Not repeatedly whine and complain after she won reelection. Being that negative over and over harms them more than their target. It indicates who you are, and who you are is miserable. By being productive instead, everything in your life improves. The real haters on here aren't harming others as much as they are harming themselves. As far as your post, it has nothing to do with mine. What you said about our elected officials and paid city employees is fine with me.
What R U trying to say

United States

#97 Nov 13, 2009
My computer didn’t come with a crystal ball either, you should have written “The,‘I hate Rochelle Clue’ should find something productive to do”...

I don’t get half of your post either. Where did you get your crystal ball?
Grantville Diego wrote:
<quoted text>

Morrow, GA

#98 Nov 13, 2009
Silly Me wrote:
Your post(s) are all over the place and not written clearly; therefore, I wasn't sure who you were 'clearly refering to'. My computer didn't come with a crystal ball, as yours seems to have.
Clearly my mistake - silly me.
<quoted text>
OK, Here is the post. It is post #79.
(You don't need a crystall ball or a college education to see who I suggested do something productive.)
Heard it

Decatur, GA

#99 Nov 14, 2009
Well said!
Silly Me wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sharpsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SummerGrove is no longer a jewel but a "COW PATTY" (Sep '11) Oct 16 Put Up or Shut Up 1,789
Large Black Cat in Coweta County Oct 15 me 2
Qom Dave teagle????? (Oct '13) Oct 9 sambuca94 11
Jeff Chandler Resigned Oct 7 Bozo the Clown 1,244
Michelle Nunn policy Oct 7 Bozo the Clown 1
David Bebout Supplying Phony Letters of Intent (Dec '10) Oct 3 tradeco 52
Preacher Man (Mar '12) Oct 3 Truth4554 137

Sharpsburg News Video

Sharpsburg Dating
Find my Match

Sharpsburg Jobs

Sharpsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE