'Racino' proposal returning for debat...

'Racino' proposal returning for debate at Minnesota Legislature

There are 15 comments on the St. Cloud Times Online story from Mar 19, 2011, titled 'Racino' proposal returning for debate at Minnesota Legislature. In it, St. Cloud Times Online reports that:

ST. PAUL - Like an old acquaintance, racino is back. But once again, it's not clear how long it will stay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Cloud Times Online.

Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#1 Mar 21, 2011
Pretty simple, this bill is a joke! So what committee determines how the money is spent to promote business?
AntiMelting

Buffalo, MN

#2 Mar 21, 2011
I think all the proceeds should be reparations to Adrian Peterson.
great idea

United States

#3 Mar 21, 2011
simple - build state run casinos, we will have great schools, we will have great roads, and great sports areans. Better yet build 2 -3 around the state. This is the ONLY solution to our budget problems going forward ( NO TAX )!!
Vikings Fan wrote:
Pretty simple, this bill is a joke! So what committee determines how the money is spent to promote business?
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#4 Mar 21, 2011
great idea wrote:
simple - build state run casinos, we will have great schools, we will have great roads, and great sports areans. Better yet build 2 -3 around the state. This is the ONLY solution to our budget problems going forward ( NO TAX )!!
<quoted text>
"great idea" I agree with your post. However, gutless republican Mr. Senjem/Mr. Sparks co-authors of this "Racino Bill", have already stipulated that "NO" money from this bill will be used to fund a new Vikings Stadium. You could use half the money generated in this proposed racino bill for 20 year Vikings Stadium construction bonds, and the other half for general revenue ie; schools, roads, bridges, etc. Best of all you shut the big mouths up of democratic legislators/voters, who refuse any tax money for a new Vikings Stadium.

The other problem with this racino bill? Is that a committee is required to distribute the money from the racino bill, with the stipulation that the money can only be used to quote: "stimulate business". Who determines that criteria? The hand picked committee. I would rather the racino money be used to fund 1/3 new Vikings Stadium, build roads, bridges, infrastructure, schools, etc. This would create jobs right now!
The real - NICE

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Mar 21, 2011
I agree, it is tiring to watch as people continue to scream that they know what is best for us/adults. We can't smoke in Bars, We can't by liqour on Sundays, We can't discipline our children, etc etc etc...

Why not get on board with this, people who gamble already spend their money at the Casino's, people who do not gamble - will not decide to gamble just because now they can do it at the race track. Let a person make their own decisions.
non indian casino

United States

#6 Mar 21, 2011
minnesotan's spend more per capita on gambling than any other state even nevada, lets get that revenue into some needed projects like our schools, roads and professional sports - they all make for a better minnesota.
Vikings Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
"great idea" I agree with your post. However, gutless republican Mr. Senjem/Mr. Sparks co-authors of this "Racino Bill", have already stipulated that "NO" money from this bill will be used to fund a new Vikings Stadium. You could use half the money generated in this proposed racino bill for 20 year Vikings Stadium construction bonds, and the other half for general revenue ie; schools, roads, bridges, etc. Best of all you shut the big mouths up of democratic legislators/voters, who refuse any tax money for a new Vikings Stadium.
The other problem with this racino bill? Is that a committee is required to distribute the money from the racino bill, with the stipulation that the money can only be used to quote: "stimulate business". Who determines that criteria? The hand picked committee. I would rather the racino money be used to fund 1/3 new Vikings Stadium, build roads, bridges, infrastructure, schools, etc. This would create jobs right now!
randy piper

Pine Ridge, SD

#7 Mar 25, 2011
This bill is aimed directly at the shakopee mdewakanton sioux community. White people cannot stand to see native americans prosper in gaming. They took away everything that was of abundance to native people, thus now they want to take away gaming. This bill has stink written all over it all in the name of greed!! any civil minded person with a basic education can smell it's ignorance!! instead why not install video lottery terminals inside hospitals, schools, funeral homes etc...why not create a video lottery terminal that has free health care as a grand prize, now that will create some real tax relief for greater good of the community.... think about hotshots 2011 minnesota racino is the modern day locust!!!
randy piper

Custer, SD

#8 Mar 26, 2011
Perhaps its time for good ol' Dick the Dick Day to stand down and create his own kind of conservative radio talk show like rush limbaugh and complain about how god fearing republicans are being cheated and being swindled out of their god given right to american business savvy...And why does good ol' colorful dick smell like ballony meet...A grown man walking around acting like his own excrement don't stink has to smell like ballony meet on top of it all...Please Dick Day at the very least have the common decency to take a bath!!! You are making your organization look bad!!! You are giving the Republicans a bad image with that smell!!!Peeu... this man must eat a lot of pork and smoke alot of american gold cigarettes to create that kind of stink...that kind of stink doesn't wash off my friends...
no problem

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Mar 26, 2011
The Racino is the real answer to helping dig us out of our rut. People say it will take the money away from those that can not afford to lose it, GUESS WHAT,they would be giving it to the Indian casinos so what difference does it make. People that are against this bill are just too blind to see the benifits
Private casinos

United States

#10 Mar 30, 2011
let the private sector work in this industry. This needs to be open to all Private or State run casinos. The time has come to remove the covers on this law !
great idea wrote:
simple - build state run casinos, we will have great schools, we will have great roads, and great sports areans. Better yet build 2 -3 around the state. This is the ONLY solution to our budget problems going forward ( NO TAX )!!
<quoted text>
cindy lou

United States

#11 Mar 30, 2011
native people, what an over used feel sorry for me phrase. Get ready this state is hungry for a change without taxes and this is the fix. You can compete for the entertainment dollar just like everyone else, no more MONOPOLY !
randy piper wrote:
This bill is aimed directly at the shakopee mdewakanton sioux community. White people cannot stand to see native americans prosper in gaming. They took away everything that was of abundance to native people, thus now they want to take away gaming. This bill has stink written all over it all in the name of greed!! any civil minded person with a basic education can smell it's ignorance!! instead why not install video lottery terminals inside hospitals, schools, funeral homes etc...why not create a video lottery terminal that has free health care as a grand prize, now that will create some real tax relief for greater good of the community.... think about hotshots 2011 minnesota racino is the modern day locust!!!
Sigh

Savage, MN

#12 Mar 31, 2011
If horse racing cannot make it without being propped up by a casino, it shouldn't be here. The thoroughbred industry would have you believe that it brings tons of money to MN. I'd rather the state fund a Viking stadium that this and I don't even care for football. And if the racing industry is so great and self sufficient, then all the racehorse rescues wouldn't be needed. Goodbye and good riddance.
paul bunyan

Philip, SD

#13 Apr 25, 2011
hello fellow minnesotans...I have chopped alot of trees down and came to the conclusion...we should vote no on 2011 minnesota racinos...this is paul bunyan talking to you all...no racinos...
paul bunyan

Philip, SD

#14 Apr 26, 2011
cindy lou wrote:
native people, what an over used feel sorry for me phrase. Get ready this state is hungry for a change without taxes and this is the fix. You can compete for the entertainment dollar just like everyone else, no more MONOPOLY !
<quoted text>
cind lou is a hermephadite and she has a really bad smell between her legs which is why she is hateful... go figure and she does the wild thing with stud horses in order to pass her beliefes...ouch!!!
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#15 Apr 26, 2011
randy piper wrote:
This bill is aimed directly at the shakopee mdewakanton sioux community. White people cannot stand to see native americans prosper in gaming. They took away everything that was of abundance to native people, thus now they want to take away gaming. This bill has stink written all over it all in the name of greed!! any civil minded person with a basic education can smell it's ignorance!! instead why not install video lottery terminals inside hospitals, schools, funeral homes etc...why not create a video lottery terminal that has free health care as a grand prize, now that will create some real tax relief for greater good of the community.... think about hotshots 2011 minnesota racino is the modern day locust!!!
Randy, maybe you should do a little research! The Shakopee Sioux Casino only has about 130 members that actually receive money from the casino, and the number is not much higher for the Treasure Island Sioux community. So let's not exagerate the prosperity of your fellow native americans. And yes, Minnesota deserves to have competition with the native american casino's. However, I don't support the current Racino Bill because of how the money will be spent, and who determines how that money is spent. The current Racino Bill language, the Racino profits can only be used to stimulate current business, and promote new business in Minnesota. And a select group/commitee would determine which business can be helped by Racino profits. No money for a Vikings Stadium, New Schools, Roads, Infrastructure, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shakopee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Home Buyers Inspections Inc (Oct '08) Jul '17 upsethomeseller 2
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Savage (Oct '16) May '17 Tammy D 7
News Prison sentence for notable defense attorney Sa... (May '11) Aug '16 Post them 19
News Minnesota Man Drowns While Trying To Save Famil... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Luda 1
News For inmates, a healing process through journaling (May '15) May '15 cowboy chris 5
News Snubbed Girl, 10, Gets Party of a Lifetime (Apr '15) Apr '15 Xstain Fumblement... 7
News Shakopee Residents Asked to Approve High School... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Eleese Elise 1

Shakopee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shakopee Mortgages