Trooper charged with domestic assault

Vermont State Trooper Timothy Newton, 32, of Tudor Road, Sandgate, was charged Wednesday in Bennington Superior Court Criminal Division with misdemeanor domestic assault. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vermont Transplant

Bennington, VT

#4 Feb 17, 2011
I have to say the woman has the typical abuse story"I fell" and the Trooper is saying nothing so I have to believe the child is telling the truth. A 4 Yr old who doesn"t know the 911 system certainly doesn"t know the repercussions of domestic assault either. I suggest they both go to counciling and give up the booze. They may get along better. What kind of officer is he letting a drunk drive with a child? His judgement apparently was impaired in more ways than one that night.
Wag the dog

Sharon, CT

#5 Feb 17, 2011
Vermont Transplant wrote:
I have to say the woman has the typical abuse story"I fell" and the Trooper is saying nothing so I have to believe the child is telling the truth. A 4 Yr old who doesn"t know the 911 system certainly doesn"t know the repercussions of domestic assault either. I suggest they both go to counciling and give up the booze. They may get along better. What kind of officer is he letting a drunk drive with a child? His judgement apparently was impaired in more ways than one that night.
Agreed.

LOL @ Sheetrock & Bennington. What does any of that have to do with how an officer of the law comports himself? All standards are null & void?
hmmm

Rindge, NH

#6 Feb 17, 2011
paid administrative leave? hit your woman, get paid and be on vacation? now that is vermonts finest!
vtinvt

Rutland, VT

#7 Feb 17, 2011
It is unfortunate that the kid is the real victim here. She has no choice in the matter.
wow

Arlington, VT

#8 Feb 17, 2011
Why didn't this Newton get charged with DUI or public intoxication? Instead, he gets a free ride home from another officer?

It's nice to know that laws seem to only apply to regular pedistrians, and cops, town workers...get different a free pass most of the time! If he's on paid leave thats rediculous, more of the taxpayers money down the drain.

On top of everything this guy will probably skate on this because of his "clean record" and job status.
dave

Albany, NY

#9 Feb 17, 2011
paid admin leave for a public servant sworn to uphold the law... accused of a misdemeanor criminal offense...

if he can't uphold the law himself, how can he be in a position to ensure others do so??

Also, VT state troopers are required to carry a firearm...if he can't do so how can he be a trooper?

Lastly, another fine example of a waste of your tax dollars. Thank the troopers union for ensuring that happens.
your missing it

Brookline, MA

#10 Feb 17, 2011
Troopers respond to a troopers house for a 911 call. Troopers girlfriend has obvious injuries consistant with trooper punching her in the face. No arrest, no nothing that night? 12 days after he (allegedly) tuned her up trooper gets arrested. Sounds like trooper should have been arrested that night. If its you or me in this situation we go away that night in cuffs, correct? Why do troopers operate differently? Seems to me that the State Attorney needs to demand an investigation by someone other than troopers (Attorney Generals Office?)as to why it took two weeks to get this guy in to the system. Looks to me like there is bit more to this story.
dave

Albany, NY

#12 Feb 17, 2011
Not sure the meaning of the religious nonsense here but this is a perfect example of the inability of police to "police" their own. It is simply impossible to do so. Time and time again this has been the case. If a trooper does not want to be held to a higher standard then the solution is simple...don't become a trooper.

Bring on the civilian review boards
Not Shocked

Manchester, VT

#13 Feb 17, 2011
My friend had a similiar situation with another one of Vermont's finest. Guess what they did? They asked her to leave the house instead of him because VT troopers need to live in VT and they didn't want him to have to pay for a hotel room!!

This whole situation doesn't suprise me one bit. He may not have a record but let it be known that he has been involved in situations where he used his badge in ways it wasn't intended for.
the 1 who knows the truth

Brookline, MA

#14 Feb 17, 2011
he will get away with it, a 4 year old has tried to say the best she can, what happened....
Officer Davenport

Brookline, MA

#15 Feb 17, 2011
I love when cops get themselves into trouble...it's the karma thing...nice job
VT TAXPAYER

Bethel, VT

#16 Feb 17, 2011
When I was a 4 year old I witnessed a similar thing as the little girl. Many decades later the memory is there just like it yas yesterday. Every State employee has a contract. He is out on paid suspension because this took place outside of work. If it happened during work, he would be on unpaid leave.
Too bad

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Feb 17, 2011
Too bad they had to use such an unflattering picture. He is cuter than all get out in real life. He can knock me down anytime he wants!
Ken

Bennington, VT

#18 Feb 17, 2011
Saltonstall states he and his client have no comment but then in the next paragraph he attacks the four year old witness. Lawyers and Troopers = corrupt.
Paul Revere

New York, NY

#20 Feb 17, 2011
Say you are an electrician and do some work for a buddy who is a General Contractor. Won't that friend in turn help you out on a project down the road or sub work out to you next time it comes up and he needs an electrician? It's easy to understand why co-workers look out for each other. It must have been a moral dilema putting the law one protects and serves ahead of a friend and co-worker, not an easy position to be in. It's like having to fire a friend. Maybe they deserved it but it doesn't make it easy.

With no prior problems this guy deserves a second chance. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. Hopefully he learns from them.
wow

West Haven, CT

#21 Feb 17, 2011
wow this is crazy,if that were any average citizen they would have been arrested! It's funny how there is a double standard for police and everyday citizens! The punishment should fit the crime no matter what your profession!!!!!!!
Not Shocked

Manchester, VT

#22 Feb 17, 2011
Paul Revere wrote:
Say you are an electrician and do some work for a buddy who is a General Contractor. Won't that friend in turn help you out on a project down the road or sub work out to you next time it comes up and he needs an electrician? It's easy to understand why co-workers look out for each other. It must have been a moral dilema putting the law one protects and serves ahead of a friend and co-worker, not an easy position to be in. It's like having to fire a friend. Maybe they deserved it but it doesn't make it easy.
With no prior problems this guy deserves a second chance. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. Hopefully he learns from them.
As I said - he has had prior problems. He does not deserve a second chance. Did she deserve to be punched in the face? Did her child deserve to witness her mother get hurt?
progressive

Portland, ME

#23 Feb 17, 2011
Kudos to the cops who didn't let this woman's story slide and were able to (eventually) get this man into court. They did the right thing by talking to the child's dad, as well.

I hope this woman comes to her senses and lets this guy go. There isn't anything she could possibly possess that makes suffering a broken nose worth keeping. If her child is in any way a priority, she'll take that little one out of that situation *now*, before it does any further damage.
Whoa there

Waterville, ME

#24 Feb 17, 2011
Not Shocked wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said - he has had prior problems. He does not deserve a second chance. Did she deserve to be punched in the face? Did her child deserve to witness her mother get hurt?
The mother is responsible for that child. She makes the choice of who she hangs with. She is, at least, equally to blame for what that child went through that night.

Are these "prior problems" on record?
Britt

AOL

#25 Feb 17, 2011
Ex-Trooper

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaftsbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New addiction treatment center opens in Bennington 9 hr Mrs Fudd 2
Urban gangs quiet but active in Vermont (Sep '10) Wed markey FanClub 14
Southwestern Vermont Medical Center prepares fo... Oct 22 Dr Pendyke 2
Help Wanted-Sistums Enjunear (Jan '14) Oct 20 whirled trabbeler 53
What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Oct 19 Kiel_Cuum_Spunj 289
28 countries (Oct '13) Oct 19 Kiel_Cuum_Spunj 310
Frustrated (Nov '13) Oct 19 Kiel_Cuum_Spunj 54
Shaftsbury Dating
Find my Match

Shaftsbury Jobs