Man found not guilty of hunting viola...

Man found not guilty of hunting violation

There are 18 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Feb 23, 2011, titled Man found not guilty of hunting violation. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

During the 2009 Youth Hunting Weekend, Kevin Hoyt, 40, was charged with hunting on land he didn't have permission to be on.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

silly girl 45

Bennington, VT

#1 Feb 24, 2011
kudos to Mr. Hoyt for standing up for himself the correct way and getting justice for himself. More people should try to understand what he did, and make sure that if they were accused unjustily, then to act on it. Always make sure that the incident, or incident's were not poorly investigated for one, and two, remember your face is on the crime if u don't say something.
Sorry not a hero

Putney, VT

#2 Feb 24, 2011
silly girl 45 wrote:
kudos to Mr. Hoyt for standing up for himself the correct way and getting justice for himself. More people should try to understand what he did, and make sure that if they were accused unjustily, then to act on it. Always make sure that the incident, or incident's were not poorly investigated for one, and two, remember your face is on the crime if u don't say something.
Really? Since when did sticking up for yourself become so 'heroic'? He was charged with something he says never happened and he let the system work. Sounds very normal to me.

“We've got some hoon trouble”

Since: Jan 11

Humpty Doo

#3 Feb 24, 2011
Is this a 'news' paper, or the History Channel?

How old is this 'news'?
Vermont Transplant

Bennington, VT

#4 Feb 24, 2011
Another waste of taxpayers and state dollars. When do these personal "witch hunts" end. I am not a friend of Mr. Hoyts nor do I know him.

“Make your word impeccable.”

Since: Jul 09

East Bumble

#5 Feb 24, 2011
Thank-you Bennington Banner for printing the outcome of this case. This type of case would be a black mark against not only Mr. Hoyt, but hunters as a whole. Thank-you Kevin for fighting for the truth to come out. We hunters do not need the negativity that is sometimes portrayed of us.
GrnMtnBoy

Roy, WA

#6 Feb 24, 2011
No surprise there.

With state prosecutors it's all numbers, not law. The higher the percentage of convictions, the better they look.
Wag the dog

Canaan, CT

#7 Feb 24, 2011
"Deputy State's Attorney Robert Plunkett said in an interview that the law doesn't define "hunting," and the jury essentially found that recovering a deer after it had been shot didn't qualify as hunting. "

This hair-splitting (along with the disrespectful &/or litigious nature of some people) is part of why landowners post their property with signs stating "No hunting, trapping, fishing, shooting, trespassing..." and would rather not allow access to their property to anyone else for any reason.
Kevin Hoyt

Bennington, VT

#8 Feb 24, 2011
Sorry not a hero wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Since when did sticking up for yourself become so 'heroic'? He was charged with something he says never happened and he let the system work. Sounds very normal to me.
I agree, I am no hero; but then again, how many people would have just paid the ticket? I can tell you first hand, it would have been a lot cheaper! 16 months to get to trial, missed 17 days of work, lost my job, had my name in the banner twice for poaching, lost some of my conservation program sponsors, on and on... all for a case that never even should have went to trial in the first place. The fact remains that the Game Warden had to out and out lie in his probable cause statement to even get the trial. This story shouldn't even be about me... it's pretty easy to beat a poaching charge when you're not a poacher - but how do you beat an overzealous prosecutor and a corrupt game warden that's out for your head? Have you people been following the stories and news about the game warden and at what point will someone do something about it? I guess I should be happy that the Banner finally printed the story (and it only took the jury 20 minutes to deliberate by the way), but it's hard to feel good about something that hits you so deep and costs so much to defend yourself against.
Kevin Hoyt

Bennington, VT

#9 Feb 24, 2011
Max Rockatansky wrote:
Is this a 'news' paper, or the History Channel?
How old is this 'news'?
LOL... if I was found guilty it would have been in large headlines on the front page the very next day :)
Kevin Hoyt

Bennington, VT

#10 Feb 24, 2011
Wag the dog wrote:
"Deputy State's Attorney Robert Plunkett said in an interview that the law doesn't define "hunting," and the jury essentially found that recovering a deer after it had been shot didn't qualify as hunting. "
This hair-splitting (along with the disrespectful &/or litigious nature of some people) is part of why landowners post their property with signs stating "No hunting, trapping, fishing, shooting, trespassing..." and would rather not allow access to their property to anyone else for any reason.
Glad I could set the precedence and establish case law for all the other law biding hunters... no more "hair splitting" as you put it. It IS our DUTY and responsibility as ethical sportsmen to both the wildlife and mankind in general to retrieve the game we harvest. I am NOT a lawyer, but was able to win against one of the State's best because I did nothing wrong - I was only doing what I was obligated to. I don't find it "disrespectful" to retrieve animals that have been legally shot, I find it necessary. To say the greed and personal reasons for landowners posting their property is my fault is as ridiculous as your comment.
Hmmmm

New York, NY

#12 Feb 24, 2011
Here is what bothers me. What was the Game Warden doing there? Was he supposed to be there for safety reasons? Was he there because he was hounding Kevin? Does he follow Kevin around with a camcorder? Was this his way of going after Kevin for some reason?

I think we, the taxpayers who pay the Warden's salary, deserve to know what was going on. If he was there for safety, then this should not have gotten as far as a ticket and court case, he should have intervened and given his advice. If he was there by "coincidence", why? Smells funny to me.

Lastly, if you want your property in woodlands to not be trespassed upon, then fence it in. Anything else is a joke.
cat tv

Bennington, VT

#13 Feb 25, 2011
Any more info on Kevin airing a show on cat tv about the allegations toward the game warden ? We've all heard the rumors. Many have seen "the video." Now, lets get them together and discuss it publicly. I've got nothing but I'm very interested.
Kevin Hoyt

Bennington, VT

#14 Feb 25, 2011
cat tv wrote:
Any more info on Kevin airing a show on cat tv about the allegations toward the game warden ? We've all heard the rumors. Many have seen "the video." Now, lets get them together and discuss it publicly. I've got nothing but I'm very interested.
I am interested too, but still waiting for other people who are not afraid to stand up for themselves and go public... we need more than gossip and grudges to be effective - anyone interested who has REAL information and evidence, please contact Kevin at his web address [email protected] - looking for stories about DUI's, illegal bear baiting, illegal 4-wheeler activities, the Game Warden using and keeping impounded equipment, hunter harassment, negative hunter education experiences, land owner harassment - all problems "the community" has had with this guy - if YOU don't have anything directly, then spread the word and have the people who do have stuff contact me... IF THEY DARE!
JKing

Bennington, VT

#15 Feb 25, 2011
Lately there has been many alleged unlawful and immoral activities of local, county and state law enforcement agency officers in the news which have led to comments by the public.

After seeing what Kevin went through I agree with him that they need to looked into and if found to be true actions should be taken.
tiny voice

Canaan, CT

#16 Feb 25, 2011
Travis has been harassing a few people lately. Even fallowing 1 person into NY to ask to see his hunting license, Going to another's house to request to see their freezer.
What to do

Bennington, VT

#17 Feb 28, 2011
JKing wrote:
Lately there has been many alleged unlawful and immoral activities of local, county and state law enforcement agency officers in the news which have led to comments by the public.
After seeing what Kevin went through I agree with him that they need to looked into and if found to be true actions should be taken.
I couldn't agree more, but in the case of the Game Warden... which group of HIS friends are we going to ASK to take action? My guess is that the State's attorney and the State police will not be interested - truth is there are rumors that THEY are already covering things up for him.
legal fees

Bennington, VT

#18 Feb 28, 2011
tiny voice wrote:
Travis has been harassing a few people lately. Even fallowing 1 person into NY to ask to see his hunting license, Going to another's house to request to see their freezer.
The Warden should be liable when he falsely accuses people like Kevin. I bet Mr. Hoyt didn't even get "I'm sorry", and how much did it cost him? How much did it cost us, as taxpayers? What happens when there is "nothing" in the freezer he is checking? How can he legally go into New York? If he was liable when he pushed cases that aren't going anywhere - then we would see a lot less harassment. I have heard soooo many stories from soooo many people.
The watchers

Bennington, VT

#19 Mar 8, 2011
I heard one of our better State Rep's is looking into convicting the Game Warden on some of the MANY allegations against HIM... anyone have updates? Hope they are talking to Kevin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaftsbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man charged with child porn again 12 hr Dr Pendyke 1
News Police: Woman had sex with 14-year-old boy Thu Dr pendyke 10
News Police: Nine arrested for selling heroin Feb 21 Community Disorga... 16
News Man seeks to vacate sexual assault convictions Feb 10 Dr Pendyke 1
agape flights of venice florida Feb 7 markey fife 2
News AG files lawsuit against local landlord Cross (Mar '09) Jan 31 Kevin cross idiot 81
News Drugs and a large weapons cache seized (Jul '16) Jul '16 wut thuh fark 2

Shaftsbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shaftsbury Mortgages