Unwary drivers slipping, sliding and ...

Unwary drivers slipping, sliding and rolling

There are 24 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Dec 28, 2010, titled Unwary drivers slipping, sliding and rolling. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Motorists returned to the roads Tuesday following a powerful nor'easter that dumped nearly 2 feet of snow, resulting in numerous crashes throughout the area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
common sense

Bennington, VT

#2 Dec 29, 2010
I wish people would heed the warning of slowing down. It might not be the speeder that gets hurt. An out of state vehicle passed me thinking the SUV was an ice breaker and slid sideways back into the lane. People don't learn. If you are in that much of a hurry, leave a little earlier.
Vermont Native

Brookline, MA

#3 Dec 29, 2010
I agree Common Sense... I've never seen so many idiots that were on the road, thinking they were invincible! My God! My life, my kids', grandkids' lives are at stake! Stay home or drive cautiously! Let the town do their job to get the roads cleared and stay the hell out of the way! If you're not use to the roads...and don't know how to drive in winter weather... then you shouldn't be here ...
GrnMtnBoy

Arlington, VT

#4 Dec 29, 2010
Ah, shitsbury's finest.

Commonsense, it's gone. No one thinks anymore. Let someone else take care of me. It's my right.
Nancy Lou

Pawlet, VT

#5 Dec 29, 2010
You will notice that several of the people in accidents were young...don't they teach you to slow down in bad weather in driver's ed?

Yesterday I had someone tailgating the daylights out of me - I refused to go more than 45mph on Rt 7. He eventually passed me and about 2 miles up the road, he was in a ditch. Do these people not get the fact that snow and ice are FROZEN water and are extremely dangerous?!

It is upsetting that when these people insist on driving fast (yes, leave the house earlier as Common Sense said....!!) they are not only endangering themselves, they are also endangering others on the road.

Here's to a safe winter!
The Brattleboro Informer

Florham Park, NJ

#6 Dec 29, 2010
I've noticed that the Flatlanders seem to know how to drive better in the snow then the locals. Can anyone explain this?
Arlington Mom

Portsmouth, NH

#7 Dec 29, 2010
Nancy Lou wrote:
You will notice that several of the people in accidents were young...don't they teach you to slow down in bad weather in driver's ed?
Yesterday I had someone tailgating the daylights out of me - I refused to go more than 45mph on Rt 7. He eventually passed me and about 2 miles up the road, he was in a ditch. Do these people not get the fact that snow and ice are FROZEN water and are extremely dangerous?!
It is upsetting that when these people insist on driving fast (yes, leave the house earlier as Common Sense said....!!) they are not only endangering themselves, they are also endangering others on the road.
Here's to a safe winter!
As a parent of a newly licensed 17 year old driver, I can tell you that yes, they are taught that, they just don't pay attention and heed the advice of the more experienced teachers and parents - they think they know it all and nothing bad will ever happen to them. They scare the bejesus out of me.

I too have had people, usually with out-of-state plates but not always, pass me under bad road conditions only to see them later in the ditch. By the time I get to where they went off the road other people have stopped to help so I drive by hoping everyone's ok and that they have learned a lesson. Hey, buddy, I live here, I'm familiar with these roads and driving in these conditions. If I'm going slow there's a damn good reason.
officer Davenport

Brookline, MA

#8 Dec 29, 2010
Nancy Lou wrote:
Here's to a safe winter!
I thought our high school coaches were better drivers ed teachers, but, I guess they aren't qualified to teach our teen agers anything. Get rid of them all and hire proffessionals. These are our youth. They deserve the best, not these fonies.
Nancy Lou

Pawlet, VT

#9 Dec 29, 2010
Arlington Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
As a parent of a newly licensed 17 year old driver, I can tell you that yes, they are taught that, they just don't pay attention and heed the advice of the more experienced teachers and parents - they think they know it all and nothing bad will ever happen to them. They scare the bejesus out of me.
I too have had people, usually with out-of-state plates but not always, pass me under bad road conditions only to see them later in the ditch. By the time I get to where they went off the road other people have stopped to help so I drive by hoping everyone's ok and that they have learned a lesson. Hey, buddy, I live here, I'm familiar with these roads and driving in these conditions. If I'm going slow there's a damn good reason.
Seriously, that is the most accurate quote I have ever read: "Hey, buddy, I live here, I'm familiar with these roads and driving in these conditions. If I'm going slow there's a damn good reason."

I'm not going slow to be an annoyance - I'm going slow to be safe. As a friend used to say, "I'd rather be 10 minutes late than be dead." Sorry if that sounds creepy, but it's honest.
Warner Brothers Star

Plainfield, VT

#10 Dec 29, 2010
Nancy Lou wrote:
Here's to a safe winter!
If there's a flatlander in the ditch, that means they are off the road and can't endanger anyone. What's wrong with that?

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Since: Jun 08

Pittsburgh, Pa

#11 Dec 29, 2010
Warner Brothers Star wrote:
<quoted text>
If there's a flatlander in the ditch, that means they are off the road and can't endanger anyone. What's wrong with that?
Always get hammered when venturing out on slippery roads...
It limbers up the body before you hit that tree.....
The Brattleboro Informer

Florham Park, NJ

#12 Dec 30, 2010
<quoted text>
The most dangerous hazard on Vermont roads in any weather conditions are Subarus with green plates; followed by beat-up pickup trucks that should have been off the road ten years ago, being driven by some clueless inbreed hick, traving at 20 miles per hour below the speed limit in a 30 MPH zone.
Concerned

Williston, VT

#13 Dec 30, 2010
It would help if AOT would treat the road too. Rather then just plowing it down to straight ice. Rumor has it that AOT will be using very little sand if any, just enough to "make it look like they have been there". Nice.......Sounds negligent to me. So, please slow down, think about how you are driving.

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Since: Jun 08

Pittsburgh, Pa

#14 Dec 30, 2010
Concerned wrote:
It would help if AOT would treat the road too. Rather then just plowing it down to straight ice. Rumor has it that AOT will be using very little sand if any, just enough to "make it look like they have been there". Nice.......Sounds negligent to me. So, please slow down, think about how you are driving.
Easy for you to say....
I'm to busy making sure I don't spill my beer!!!!
Warner Brothers Star

Stowe, VT

#15 Dec 30, 2010
The Brattleboro Informer wrote:
<quoted text>
The most dangerous hazard on Vermont roads in any weather conditions are Subarus with green plates; followed by beat-up pickup trucks that should have been off the road ten years ago, being driven by some clueless inbreed hick, traving at 20 miles per hour below the speed limit in a 30 MPH zone.
Suburus with green plates? You mean the three tone ones (original color, grey bondo and rust) with the Bernie! bumper sticker next to the buy local (on a japanese car) sticker? You can spot them a mile away, because they have the snow still piled on the roof rack and didn't bother to scrape any of the windows. They are going so slow because they just smoked a big spliff to give them the courage to drive that piece o' junk.
The Brattleboro Informer

Florham Park, NJ

#16 Dec 30, 2010
<quoted text>
Suburus with green plates? You mean the three tone ones (original color, grey bondo and rust) with the Bernie! bumper sticker next to the buy local (on a japanese car) sticker? You can spot them a mile away, because they have the snow still piled on the roof rack and didn't bother to scrape any of the windows. They are going so slow because they just smoked a big spliff to give them the courage to drive that piece o' junk.
LOL, You nailed it. Why bother scraping the windows, the inside of the car is so filthy they can't see out the windows on a clear day.
GrnMtnBoy

Roy, WA

#17 Dec 30, 2010
I see shitsbury's finest made another boo boo.

Jersey plates off the road all over the place on Monday and Tuesday. One passed me yesterday doing at least 90 on a straight section of 7, only to be detained several minutes later by a State Police Officer. Sometimes there is justice.
JustTheFactsGuys

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Jan 2, 2011
The Brattleboro Informer wrote:
<quoted text>
And now we've heard from the masculinity challenged whiner. Thank you for sharing. Now take it outside and dispose of it properly and then wash your hands before rejoining the conversation. Sorry about your pen|s.
Ha ha

Bennington, VT

#19 Jan 2, 2011
I love the subaru rants. Would a pos saab be more uptown?
LSU

United States

#20 Jan 2, 2011
Slipping, sliding and rolling! Now that's what I'm talking about Hot Driver.......
The Brattleboro Informer

Trumbull, CT

#21 Jan 2, 2011
JustTheFactsGuys wrote:
<quoted text>
And now we've heard from the masculinity challenged whiner. Thank you for sharing. Now take it outside and dispose of it properly and then wash your hands before rejoining the conversation. Sorry about your pen|s.
You shouldn't post while intoxicated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaftsbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Third-graders to help raise fish from eggs Jan 16 Fatso Fife 1
News Our View: A step forward on marijuana Jan 14 Fatso Fife 3
News Southshire Roller Derby looking for new members Jan 7 Fatso Fife 1
News Man sentenced to prison for armed robberies Jan 6 Fatso Fife 1
Did you work with Markey Fife Jan 5 Fatso fife 3
News $50K bail for man accused of New Year's Day kni... Jan 5 Fatso fife 1
News Our opinion: Arrests a reminder of epidemic's s... Jan 3 Fatso Fife da mas... 3

Shaftsbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shaftsbury Mortgages