Air quality descends into 'moderate' ...

Air quality descends into 'moderate' and 'unhealthy' categories

There are 11 comments on the KTVL News10 story from Nov 11, 2009, titled Air quality descends into 'moderate' and 'unhealthy' categories. In it, KTVL News10 reports that:

Smoke from burn piles, chimneys and now a controlled burn visible from most of the valley burning on a hill west of Phoenix is sending air quality in the Rogue Valley into "moderate" and "unsafe for sensitive groups" categories.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVL News10.

bluestar

Salem, OR

#1 Nov 12, 2009
The smoke from burn piles and chimneys are a very small part of the air quality short term problem. The controlled burns however include the top layer of dust, which holds all the fallout of any pollutants that have fallen since the last burn. That means, if the last burn was a very long time ago, then ash from the volcanos and smog can be included in that smoke. Very large metro areas have made studies on this subject. The effect dissipates with the wind.
On The Dole

San Antonio, TX

#2 Nov 12, 2009
The Dems will just blame Bush!
Brillopads and Sheep

United States

#3 Nov 14, 2009
It's those damn people from California's fault.
charlie pride

Grants Pass, OR

#4 Nov 17, 2009
well i will agree with you on the clowns from calif, just give them time they will screw up the valley too just look at medford!!

“Start the Revolution”

Since: Dec 07

Cave Junction

#5 Nov 19, 2009
This is another example of the government blowing smoke at us...what is it they do not want us to see?
GaiaGirl

Ashland, OR

#6 Nov 21, 2009
Some people may find humor in the situation but people like me (I have asthma) find it very scary to not be able to take a full breath of air into our lungs without coughing and gagging and wheezing. This poor air quality has really made me suffer this fall and seems to be getting worse. It is really terrifying to not have enough clean air to breath. Thank heavens I have a good doctor who keeps on top of things and helps me.
On The Dole

San Antonio, TX

#7 Nov 22, 2009
The heavens have nothing to do with you having a good doctor Girl, but I don't understand why one with asthma would live in SW Oregon. If I had the conditions you described, I'd move.
GaiaGirl

Ashland, OR

#8 Nov 23, 2009
On The Dole wrote:
The heavens have nothing to do with you having a good doctor Girl, but I don't understand why one with asthma would live in SW Oregon. If I had the conditions you described, I'd move.
There are a few reasons: first, my family is all in this area and we are a small, tight family. I would not be able to see my grandchildren if I moved very far away. Also, my very elderly mother is in an assisted living facility in Medford and her doctor believes it would be detrimental to her health to try to relocate her to an area where she has no friends or family closeby. So, I made the choice to have a good doctor to help me and I get along okay. Haven't had to be hospitalized for asthma for over 25 years so I must be doing something right!
On The Dole

San Antonio, TX

#9 Nov 25, 2009
Thank you for the personal reply.
I was expecting, "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" (lol)
Happy Thanksgiving to you!
GaiaGirl

Ashland, OR

#10 Nov 29, 2009
On The Dole wrote:
Thank you for the personal reply.
I was expecting, "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" (lol)
Happy Thanksgiving to you!
It is all too true that so many people today have no concept of courtesy and good manners. I am often disappointed by the careless way other either flip someone the bird or yell at them or otherwise show very poor breeding and manners, especially when they are driving a car. When my father first put me behind the wheel of our family car to teach me how to drive, the very first thing he said was "courtesy is contagious." He received awards for safe driving while he worked with the telephone company and I've always tried to follow his example. Keeping one's temper behind the wheel and extending courtesy, a smile, and a wave when someone else doesn't extend courtesy is the best way to defuse a potentially nasty situation. It has always worked for me, so you will never see a post from me that is rude or crude--what is the point?
joy

Medford, OR

#11 Dec 6, 2009
GaiaGirl wrote:
Some people may find humor in the situation but people like me (I have asthma) find it very scary to not be able to take a full breath of air into our lungs without coughing and gagging and wheezing. This poor air quality has really made me suffer this fall and seems to be getting worse. It is really terrifying to not have enough clean air to breath. Thank heavens I have a good doctor who keeps on top of things and helps me.
This is a very serious problem for EVERYONE living in the valley! I have a child that is unable to leave our home because of the air quality. Many people that have never had breathing problems are now starting to cough and have shortness of breath every winter. I am so sad to have to leave this valley because of the air quality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shady Cove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Littering Along the Rogue Aug 14 joisey5 1
So close to homeless Aug 3 yes 2
News Drive-By Shooting Suspects in Custody (Jul '07) May '17 how 9
News Remote Oregon town for sale for $3.5 million up... Apr '17 Xstain Mullah Aroma 4
News Buyer wanted: Tiny Oregon town for sale Apr '17 know 1
moving to oregon (Sep '06) Apr '17 Mydadwasaperuvian... 188
News Southern Oregon school board says no to arming ... (May '14) May '14 Jason 1

Shady Cove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shady Cove Mortgages