well

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

i took my son to the er the other day and it turns out he has tonsilitius. they gave him antibiotics. my question is, is it normal for him not to be eating? he hasnt ate a meal in close to a week. but he will eat half a banana and any sweet thing that u put in his face. if i go towards him with a spoon he will run so i grab him and try and open his mouth. he has his teeth closed so tight together that its hard to get that first bite in. but once i do get that first bite in he will come back for a few more bites and then he will stop eating it. he likes to spit his food back out also. idk what to do with this situation. i feel like he is starving. but he dont act hungry. is there any tips or anything that yall can give me bc i am on the last straw. im going crazy with fighting with him all day. he is 14 months old.
Tammy with a silk valley

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Run dont walk to children's hospital.good luck honey
well

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

How come hospital again? whats ur reasoning behind u saying that so i know what to tell them
Calm down

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Firstly, don't panic. Do you have a primary care doc for your son? If not get one, use a trusted family doc or get in the yellow pages. If your son is on antibiotics and is not well hydrated he could have thrush. Is the inside of his mouth white like a thick coating? He may not be eating cause his mouth is sore inside and sweet foods make the yeast grow even more. Call your child's doc tomorrow, they will probably work him in. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
well

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

He drinks at least 4 to 5 sippy cups a day. he just wont eat anything thats good for him. i looked in his mouth and it looks alright. the dr at the hospital said his tonsils were red. he isnt acting any different. a momma just knows when her baby is hungry. he use to be a hog
well

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

He drinks 4 to 5 sippy cups a day. he just wont eat ne thing thats good for him. its not thrush i had the er look for that while we were there bc my mom said i had that when i was a baby. so she made sure i knew to ask about that.
Calm down

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

If he is hydrating well there is no need for the E.R. The thrush would have developed as a result if the antibiotics, but since you say his mouth is not white inside that is probably not the case. Again, get him to a good family physician in the A.M. Good luck.
well

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Thank you guys
kpa

Kings Mountain, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

I take my baby to Knoxville pediatric associates and I love them down there. They have so many different ways to make sure you're taken care of properly. They have nurses line for questions such as this one, they are in on sat and sun so you don't have to take baby to er, and they have seperate waiting room one for sick and one for well. I gave you this information just in case you did not have a per. or if you happen to not be happy with your current one. The phone number to the clinch office which is right next to children's hospital is eight six five five two five zero two two eight.
good one

Maynardville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

If the dr doesnt find anything wrong except his tonsils being red then he may just be spoiled. Thats okay because all mothers spoil their kids. But you may want to take the sippy cup from him and tell him hes not getting it back until he eats. Hes not going to starve, he will eat when hes hungry. I have 3 kuds and when my son was little he did the same thing. Hes tonsils werent inflamed but the dr told me that babies would rather suck a bottle or cup because its not too much work. So I took his cup and wouldnt let him have until he ate. After about 3 days of it he finally started eating and I gave it back to him. This may not be the issue. The first thing you need to fo is get him a proper dr to do a proper check up. If nothing comes from that then you may want to take his cup. Im not saying to NOT give him anything to drink. What I mean is not let him suck it 24/7 and dont give him Milk either. If his tonsils are inflamed any dairy will thicken his salive and itll make it harder for him to swallow. A doctor will tell you that. Also dont give him sugary drinks. That may make him not want to put the cup down for dinner. Any kid will chose sugar over anything healthy. Heck..most adults do too. Hope it all works out for ya. Good Luck.
well

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

My lil man is spoiled lol. its not even a good thing and not even half way funny. its so bad to the point that he will chase me thru the house just not to loose sight of me and if he does he will scream and cry. also my son dont drink milk. december of last year he came down with broncitus and his grandma had him for 2 weeks while i was n hospital bc i came down with same thing but worse while being pregnant again, ne ways she didnt give him milk not once and when i tried to give him milk when he got better he would not drink it. i couldnt even squirt it down his throat with a medicin syringe. he is way to spoiled in my opinion. but idk how to break him. i know i need to get him outta my bed and into his own b4 new bby comes. i know from experience that i will never sleep with the new baby bc its a very hard to break. when he is at grandmas house he will sleep by himself but with me he wont.
good one

Maynardville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

I went through that too. Heres how I done it..After getting him a "big boy" bed, at night I would put him in it and lay down with him until he went to sleep. Then I would get up and go to my bed. At first he would wake up and come back to my room and that was fine. I was only trying to get him use to the bed then. But after a couple weeks of him falling asleep in it he finally started to stay in it. It was kinda like potty training. It does take time but it will work. Just dont try to fight with him or try to make him stay in his bed at first. Let me feel like hes doing it all on his own. Also, if youre pregnant he may already be getting jealous. If hes that attached to you now then you can imagine how its going to be when the new baby comes so if I were you Id be getting him in his bed now. If you dont want to lay in the bed with him then you can sit in the floor by the bed. And just move closer to the door the deeper he gets to sleep. I hope this helps. I know all too well how a spoiled little boy is. I have 3 lol. My youngest is now 7 and my oldest is fixing to turn 14. So ive been through all of this. Good luck.
Oh he will

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

I worried myself sick when my little boy was small. He just wouldn't eat. He would fill up on juice, but no solid foods. My daddy said" baby don't worry about him not eating, because when he gets hungry enough he will eat"! I would give him half cup of juice and when he ask for more I would tell him he had to eat a few bites, then more juice. It worked. I started out with KFC mashed potatoes. He ate a few bites then I would give him a little juice. I gave him enough juice that equaled to his bites. He turned out to be a strong, healthy, young man. He didn't starve after all. Now when he comes to visit, he eats everything in sight!! Lol
Lindsay

New Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

See if he will take some pedialite (sp). Push on his skin with your finger and if his skin goes back to normal color quick then he is not dehydrated. Good luck!
Tammy with a silk valley

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Lindsay...do not post again
Another thought

New Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

You have some good advice here. The only thing I can add is be careful of letting children take too many antibiotics. Repeated tonsilitous may mean they have to be removed. An ear nose & throat doctor can help.
well

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

How can he be dehydrated when i said he drinks 4 to 5 sippy cups a day? i really appreciate the fact that u thought u were trying to help but i honestly think u shoulda re read my post. MY CHILD WONT EAT! has nothing to do with being dehydrated. thank you. have a nice day... if i seem snappy its bc of my picky lil boy.
well

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Another thought wrote:
You have some good advice here. The only thing I can add is be careful of letting children take too many antibiotics. Repeated tonsilitous may mean they have to be removed. An ear nose & throat doctor can help.
i do need to make him an appt at a place like that... not only to make sure everything looks good but also to find out what he may be allergic to. thank you thats a good idea also.
well

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

good one wrote:
I went through that too. Heres how I done it..After getting him a "big boy" bed, at night I would put him in it and lay down with him until he went to sleep. Then I would get up and go to my bed. At first he would wake up and come back to my room and that was fine. I was only trying to get him use to the bed then. But after a couple weeks of him falling asleep in it he finally started to stay in it. It was kinda like potty training. It does take time but it will work. Just dont try to fight with him or try to make him stay in his bed at first. Let me feel like hes doing it all on his own. Also, if youre pregnant he may already be getting jealous. If hes that attached to you now then you can imagine how its going to be when the new baby comes so if I were you Id be getting him in his bed now. If you dont want to lay in the bed with him then you can sit in the floor by the bed. And just move closer to the door the deeper he gets to sleep. I hope this helps. I know all too well how a spoiled little boy is. I have 3 lol. My youngest is now 7 and my oldest is fixing to turn 14. So ive been through all of this. Good luck.
i never thought about that lol sneaking to the door little by little. im going to try morrow night as he is already in the bed with me tonight. and i just read ur post. but yes the sooner the better. thank you also. u have been a big help.

AS FOR EVERYONE I WOULD LIKE TO ALSO THANK YOU FOR UR HELPFUL THOUGHTS. I APPRECIATE EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME IN TIME OF NEED.
Another thought

New Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

well wrote:
<quoted text>
i never thought about that lol sneaking to the door little by little. im going to try morrow night as he is already in the bed with me tonight. and i just read ur post. but yes the sooner the better. thank you also. u have been a big help.
AS FOR EVERYONE I WOULD LIKE TO ALSO THANK YOU FOR UR HELPFUL THOUGHTS. I APPRECIATE EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME IN TIME OF NEED.
You're very welcome. I'm sure you will pass a helping hand on when you find someone in need. God bless your little boy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Seymour Discussions

Search the Seymour Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 9 min Jeffrey 144,485
Little Caesars cements deal 45 min Bob 13
"Christian" Lady Vols Fans Condone Homosexuality 1 hr luther 13
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr WTH 9,251
Where did votes come from 3 hr rathernotsay 33
Robbie manger at walmart 6 hr Hes hot 1
English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 12 hr EMFCguru 1,645
•••
•••
•••
•••

Seymour Jobs

•••