Best Paper in Seymour
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mr philler

Knoxville, TN

#1 Nov 27, 2009
I would like to thank the Seymour Hrld for all the fine coverage they give our area. You are a much needed part of our community.
Someone

Blountville, TN

#2 Nov 27, 2009
lol
mr philler

Knoxville, TN

#3 Nov 27, 2009
no really, I would like to ask why you laugh. If it was not for this fine man who owns the paper Seymour would be left out when it comes to news. He and his staff put a lot of time into bringing us the latest news from our area. I think we should start a Carl day here in our city.
Amused

Gallatin, TN

#4 Nov 28, 2009
you must be new here.
1. Seymour isn't a city.
2. It's Karl not Carl.
3. The Herald "staff" changes more often than most people change their oil, and at any given point, there is at most one person with any journalistic integrity employed.
4. The Herald rarely adheres to the most common of rules regarding the English language and generally fills the paper with press releases written by members of the community, not their own "staff."
...but please, by all means continue with your plans for "Carl Day."
William Randolph Kane

Murfreesboro, TN

#5 Nov 29, 2009
I'd LOVE to own the Herald.
I'd devote about 40% to just the regular Seymour puff pieces, H.S. sports, new business' etc. 60% would be $hit stirring that Joe Karl could only dream about.
It'd would be hard hitting, factual and most of all an investigative report type news paper. My reports would be hard hitting pieces as to local corruption in county / city politics backed up by photos & the counties own documents or lack there of.
The reason nothing like this has happened in print is the D.A.s office looks the other way it seems.
My version of the Herald would take the facts from wherever they come.
Even http://seviercorruption.com/
Santa Man

Knoxville, TN

#7 Nov 30, 2009
@ Amused - I agree 100%.
@ Mr. Philler - I'm pretty sure they're hiring again, you should definitely apply and get your shot at living the dream. No, you couldn't, you say. No journalism experience? Underdeveloped writing skills? Inability to judge fact from fiction? PERFECT! You're exactly what they're looking for! Now you too can work for the Herald - just read the Mountain Press and re-write all the pertinent news for our community! Congrats on the new job!
LOL

Hendersonville, TN

#8 Nov 30, 2009
...to expand on what Santa Man said, you can also make up stories out of thin air (just remember if you can imagine in, it is fact) and when your really bored you can ramble on about stuff nobody cares about.
Kill Bill

Knoxville, TN

#9 Dec 2, 2009
LOL wrote:
...to expand on what Santa Man said, you can also make up stories out of thin air (just remember if you can imagine in, it is fact) and when your really bored you can ramble on about stuff nobody cares about.
Right, imagination is key, as are low moral standards. And most importantly, you need to be able to work in various stories about Joe doing his many "important" public activities, even if they have absolutely no relevance to anyone anywhere. Stories with pictures are a must, and expect to run a picture of his daughter wearing her teen-whatever crown and sash at least once a month.
Breaker

Knoxville, TN

#10 Dec 2, 2009
Amused wrote:
you must be new here.
1. Seymour isn't a city.
2. It's Karl not Carl.
3. The Herald "staff" changes more often than most people change their oil, and at any given point, there is at most one person with any journalistic integrity employed.
4. The Herald rarely adheres to the most common of rules regarding the English language and generally fills the paper with press releases written by members of the community, not their own "staff."...but please, by all means continue with your plans for "Carl Day."
I think we should totally perpetuate the "Karl Day" rumor. I can only imagine the self-indulging piece that would appear on the front page the second Joe Karl heard the faintest of whisperings about it.
"Anonymous high-ranking city official sources have informed the Herald that the community is making plans to celebrate the Herald as an invaluable asset of the Seymour area, Tennessee, and all of the United States, as it reaches millions of readers monthly via a start of the art website, seymourherald. com. Plans have yet to be finalized, but our very important sources tell us that a parade is in order, it will be declared a national holiday, and that the mayor, the governor of Tennessee, and the President Obama himself will be on hand to honor the Herald staff and most importantly, its publisher, Joe Karl....." (not a bad Joe impersonation, if I do say so myself) Haha, like really, this has potential to be weeks of good entertainment.
mr philler

Sevierville, TN

#11 Dec 2, 2009
well I think he is a nice man and would give the shirt off his back to anyone who needs him. Between him and Jim Moore it's hard to decide which one is the most important to our city. God speed you two and may the force be with you.
Sammy Boy

Knoxville, TN

#12 Dec 3, 2009
mr philler wrote:
well I think he is a nice man and would give the shirt off his back to anyone who needs him. Between him and Jim Moore it's hard to decide which one is the most important to our city. God speed you two and may the force be with you.
Joe Karl is anything but the "shirt off his back" type. I can tell you for a fact (an actual fact, not a Seymour Herald fact) that he's reduced his employees' pay without reason or notification, takes deductions from their pay for just about any reason he can think of, and refuses to reimburse them for gas money, even when requiring them to drive upwards of 150 miles round trip to cover an event. He also pays bi-weekly but refuses to compensate them for the extra 2 weeks that are left out in the course of a year in a bi-weekly schedule, and he blatantly lies during interviews, claiming the Herald has health benefits and paid vacation - neither of which are a reality. He also knowingly misrepresents his circulation to potential advertisers and won't cover events held by individuals or organizations who are not "Herald Supporters." He's refused to cover numerous charity events b/c its organizers weren't "supporters" and NEVER covers King's Academy events b/c he doesn't view them as profitable since most of the students parents live elsewhere. Couple all that with his frequent one-sided attacks on SHS coaches/administrators and the SVFD, and I'd say that makes him more of a nuisance to this community than anything. He uses his newspaper for his benefit and to feel important - nothing more.
LOL

Hendersonville, TN

#13 Dec 3, 2009
mr philler wrote:
well I think he is a nice man and would give the shirt off his back to anyone who needs him. Between him and Jim Moore it's hard to decide which one is the most important to our city. God speed you two and may the force be with you.
Is that you Joe?
mr philler

Sevierville, TN

#14 Dec 3, 2009
No it's not Joe. He is to much a shy person to toot his own horn. Come on you guys give him a break. Where I came from this man has talent.
No Talent Here

Knoxville, TN

#15 Dec 4, 2009
mr philler wrote:
No it's not Joe. He is to much a shy person to toot his own horn. Come on you guys give him a break. Where I came from this man has talent.
Clearly you have never read one of his editorials. Are we even talking about the same person? Joe Karl: owns the Seymour Herald, runs pictures and stories about himself every chance he gets - sometimes twice? 90% of Seymour only know him as an arrogant S.O.B. who takes pretty much every opportunity to "toot his own horn", even creating those opportunities when none present themselves. We're talking about Seymour, TENNESSEE. Do you really have any idea who and what you're talking about? And I don't know where you come from, but I can only hope it's somewhere where English is not the predominant language, otherwise, you seriously need to read more. Try The Mountain Press and the News Sentinel and them compare talent levels.
mr philler

Sevierville, TN

#16 Dec 4, 2009
I think you are just upset because (face it) he is from the North and as you have learned we do it much much better than you can. Just look at how backwards the schools are here. And one more thing I moved here because land and houses were cheap but I think I will go elswhere because it's not cheap enough to stay.
HAHAHA

Knoxville, TN

#17 Dec 4, 2009
mr philler wrote:
I think you are just upset because (face it) he is from the North and as you have learned we do it much much better than you can. Just look at how backwards the schools are here. And one more thing I moved here because land and houses were cheap but I think I will go elswhere because it's not cheap enough to stay.
He is from Hungary, and no one here is upset because of where he's from. I'm not sure what "it" you're referring to as being better in the North, but if you're talking about journalism, you've already lost any kind of credibility by defending the Herald, a WEEKLY paper who has published numerous issues with over 100 grammatical errors - I know, I went through a few with a red pen just for fun a couple times. I can even recall a few front page headlines with misspelled words in them. That's lazy, embarrassing and inexcusable. The Herald could be a decent weekly paper, but Joe Karl doesn't want to put in any effort to make it decent or pay anyone else to either. His office is a merry-go-round of employees who either are fired for sticking by ethical journalistic standards (aka NOT printing libelous quotes from 'anonymous, unconfirmed sources' or printing Joe's opinion as fact) or who quit because $8 an hour and no mileage reimbursement is nothing more than an insult to anyone with a degree in journalism - or ANY degree for that matter. Seymour could use a good weekly newspaper, but the Herald isn't it, so when you leave to head back to where ever it is you came from, feel free to take the Karl clan too. If you need any help packing up your great deal of a double wide, just give us a shout.
Someone

Blountville, TN

#18 Dec 5, 2009
mr philler wrote:
I think you are just upset because (face it) he is from the North and as you have learned we do it much much better than you can. Just look at how backwards the schools are here. And one more thing I moved here because land and houses were cheap but I think I will go elswhere because it's not cheap enough to stay.
I'm from the north. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Oh, wait. I wear a size 10.5 shoe so I guess that negates any of my northern advantage at "it".
mr philler

Sevierville, TN

#19 Dec 5, 2009
Someone, I agree with you 100% I think all hicks need to get a real job and help our country
Nair

Knoxville, TN

#20 Dec 8, 2009
My biggest problem with the Karl's is that Michele refuses to do something about that unibrow and mustache...
Someone

Blountville, TN

#21 Dec 8, 2009
mr philler wrote:
Someone, I agree with you 100% I think all hicks need to get a real job and help our country
???
Maybe you should re-read that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seymour Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does anyone know Budrow? 34 min Would like to know 1
News English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 8 hr Bear down 4,013
jenna davis (Sep '13) 10 hr Nasty 11
Where to look for home rental 13 hr CTH 3
ThomasA 15 hr Midge Carter A 11
News Wife Of High School Football Coach Charged For ... 16 hr Ned Negritude 9
whos got 19 hr Mike E 1

Seymour Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seymour Mortgages