BOEs gear up for retreats

BOEs gear up for retreats

There are 45 comments on the Loudon County News story from Feb 22, 2013, titled BOEs gear up for retreats. In it, Loudon County News reports that:

Just as the cost of providing a quality education isn't getting any cheaper, neither is the cost of planning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Loudon County News.

Voter

Knoxville, TN

#21 Feb 25, 2013
Mom wrote:
Seriously. Where is the website. How do I get my name on this petition.
I'm disappointed Mr. Shaver seems to be down on this change. Maybe because mr. Schnell's is not "from" these parts. Come on Van, you are bigger than that.
All this petition does is make government big we need it small plus it could cost us alot of money.Just need to vote them out of office .If enough people are unhappy that will happen

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#22 Feb 25, 2013
Now when do we begin talking about the fact that Rosemary Hines Quillen and the Lenoir City BOE have decided they want to do this retreat thing also?
Loudon Joe

Loudon, TN

#23 Feb 26, 2013
A real question should be raised if this is an attempt to bypass the Open Meeting law ? has the BOE's published the where and when of the "WORKSHOPS". "Their chance to get away and gt some work done" maybe a violation of the open meeting law ? I plan on calling my BOE memer and County Comm. to voice my objection to the NON EDUCATION spending. There are several locaions in the county where a "workshop" could be held without cost of overnights, lots of milage, AND acess by LOUDON COUNTY VOTERS for imput . Maybe the real problem is the imput!
Swingers

Knoxville, TN

#24 Feb 26, 2013
It is just one big wife swap party
Loudon county Voter

Lenoir City, TN

#25 Feb 26, 2013
what a waste of tax payers money! Just abunch of crooks!
Ben Franks

Newberry, SC

#26 Feb 26, 2013
Swingers wrote:
It is just one big wife swap party
.....HUH????
T Rex

Knoxville, TN

#27 Feb 26, 2013
The Sunshine Law does not shine in a mountain retreat. This is just political bs! We vote them in, trust them to do the right thing to the best of their ability, we pay them, and this is what we get in return.
They will go, they will spend the money that should go for supplies and programs to educate our kids, they will come back even more irresponsible than when they left.
And the people will vote them in again because the majority of voters don't have a clue what goes on.
Im Done

Knoxville, TN

#28 Feb 26, 2013
I will never give another dime to the school.Kids selling junk just so they can have school supplies and the board wants to go on a damn mountain retreat who the hell do you think you are. this crap needs to stop.
Red

Knoxville, TN

#29 Feb 26, 2013
Mom wrote:
Seriously. Where is the website. How do I get my name on this petition.
I'm disappointed Mr. Shaver seems to be down on this change. Maybe because mr. Schnell's is not "from" these parts. Come on Van, you are bigger than that.
If you sign the petition it will have four on it him and the other two that has to speak at every meeting not going very far with this petition
Stright Up

Lenoir City, TN

#30 Feb 26, 2013
Loudon Joe wrote:
Where are our County Com. on the issue. I would expect EACH to voice concern. It would be fitting for the count Commission to take every cent spent on the STUPID RETREAT from the BOE budget. the cost will be $250-$350 per attndee per day. This included paid milage, 3meals, rooms, cost of meeting, equipment, and BREAK REFRESHMENTS during and AFTER. STOP THE MADNESS!
Any change to local government from a Charter adoption will have no effect on the school board or the schools.

The petition guy is crazy.
Mark

Lenoir City, TN

#31 Feb 26, 2013
abunch of blood suckers! I call for them to step down!
Swingers

Knoxville, TN

#32 Feb 27, 2013
A fun time on top
my thoughts

Knoxville, TN

#33 Feb 27, 2013
Straight Up wrote "Any change to local government from a Charter adoption will have no effect on the school board or the schools.

The petition guy is crazy".

Perhaps the petition guy is pushing for a change in government or a charter government because there's no accountability and a charter government may address some issues that our local government doesn't want to look into.

The Knoxville news did an article about the Knox criminal clerk firing her brother after complaint. When has that happened here? Just the opposite takes place here ... elected officials hire relatives who they supervise because they CAN. Maybe the petition guy is fed with good ol boy politics.
BBC

Knoxville, TN

#34 Feb 27, 2013
I'm going so I can get a room with Leroy I think he's got pretty lips..
juan

Lenoir City, TN

#35 Mar 1, 2013
you white people just complain and never do nothing
T Rex

Knoxville, TN

#36 Mar 1, 2013
Juan is right. We talk to people we know are like minded and we vent on places like topix and we probably vote behind a curtain where we won't upset anyone personally. Like it or not we are a bunch of hypoctrtes. Everybody has a friend or a family member or the their self who could lose a job or a favor or be looked down on by people in their church who are clueless.
Who is the bigger hypocrite? The religious hypocrite who lies to get elected or the complainers who won't go to a board meeting and stand up and speak the truth.
The two that you say have to speak at every meeting and very few others are the only ones with guts to go public. Maybe they are the only two who know what goes on and DON'T have family or friends at stake. And the newcomers in Tellico Village who have something to offer but are seen as outsiders who have no right to speak.
We are all Americans and in this together. If we won't speak out publicly or directly to your representatives we are almost as big hypocrites as they are.
Van has tried and look what happened to him. If he ever runs again maybe we should take him more seriously.
Almost Time

Lenoir City, TN

#37 Mar 3, 2013
Less than a week till free vacation time for the school board and what's even better, when the administrators and principals get back, it will be spring break.

Maybe they can just stay in Gatlinburg all week and let the school ystm pay for it.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#38 Mar 3, 2013
my thoughts wrote:
Straight Up wrote "Any change to local government from a Charter adoption will have no effect on the school board or the schools.
The petition guy is crazy".
Perhaps the petition guy is pushing for a change in government or a charter government because there's no accountability and a charter government may address some issues that our local government doesn't want to look into.
The Knoxville news did an article about the Knox criminal clerk firing her brother after complaint. When has that happened here? Just the opposite takes place here ... elected officials hire relatives who they supervise because they CAN. Maybe the petition guy is fed with good ol boy politics.
Sorry, but a charter would not effect judicial offices either. The judicial districts are drawn by the state legislature.
The Knox County charter has term limits. But no judicial officers there are term limited, including the circuit court clerk.
Time Out

Knoxville, TN

#39 Mar 3, 2013
A charter government could very well address some real issues such as Nepotism, Term Limits, Recall ....

It's sounds like a real improvement over what we currently have.

Whats the cost of the retreat?

How many relatives and friends are they taking?

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#40 Mar 3, 2013
Time Out wrote:
A charter government could very well address some real issues such as Nepotism, Term Limits, Recall ....
It's sounds like a real improvement over what we currently have.
Whats the cost of the retreat?
How many relatives and friends are they taking?
Oh I agree.
A charter could prohibit them from passing tax increases, and only allow them to put the increase on the ballot for voter approval.
I want the charter just for that reason. I'm sick of driving by the jail and seeing a growing fleet of backup vehicles parked there.

No, they wouldn't have the testes to ask voters for a tax increase when they've been renting log cabin chalets in Gatlinburg.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seymour Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roads 24 min lol 2
News Education 52 mins ago 6:49 p.m.House delays vou... 1 hr More Facts 2
donald trump won't last long 2 hr OhhhNohedidnt 50
Knox. worst Attorneys (Jan '11) 3 hr CordwainerBird 43
worm (Jan '13) 4 hr Feel the relief 12
Needing a play toy! 4 hr Bassist703 19
Girls bare feet! 4 hr Bassist703 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seymour Mortgages