BOEs gear up for retreats

BOEs gear up for retreats

There are 45 comments on the Loudon County News story from Feb 22, 2013, titled BOEs gear up for retreats. In it, Loudon County News reports that:

Just as the cost of providing a quality education isn't getting any cheaper, neither is the cost of planning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Loudon County News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Not Surprised

Knoxville, TN

#1 Feb 22, 2013
Its been all over the newspaper that Jason Vance fired ome teachers to balance the budget.

He told Loudon City that the board didn't have money to keep the SRO's and after reading the retreats article I see why.

Vance and the school board needs to get their priorities right instead of going to Gatlinburg and spending more money.

Correction

Lenoir City, TN

#2 Feb 22, 2013
Not Surprised wrote:
Its been all over the newspaper that Jason Vance fired ome teachers to balance the budget.
He told Loudon City that the board didn't have money to keep the SRO's and after reading the retreats article I see why.
Vance and the school board needs to get their priorities right instead of going to Gatlinburg and spending more money.
Vance didn't make the decision to go to Gatlinburg nor could he. This is all on the school board members. They all voted to go on the trip. We've got big trouble for a school board now.

What happened to the boy wonder that took Shaver's place? Don't think they took any trips when Van was on the board.

We're back to where we were, just a bunch of idiots running the show.
Mom

Knoxville, TN

#3 Feb 23, 2013
The air is thinner up there. Thin air helps them think clearer about what is best for the students in our schools.. Our children and their best interest are at the heart of this trip. After a great meal at The Lantern, a little homemade chocolate, a dip in the pool, and a warm up in the hot tub, a good night sleep and a nice big breakfast served hot from the kitchen right to the room. We are privileged to have a school board that would make such a sacrifice for our kids at our expense.
Big Chief Slap a Ho

Knoxville, TN

#4 Feb 23, 2013
Should of had it at the Inn of Lenoir with all the other crack heads!!!
For the children

Knoxville, TN

#5 Feb 23, 2013
Vance and school board's motto "II'S FOR THE CHILDREN'. I hope Van Shaver has the guts to do a story and share all the details on the junkets. Then again maybe he won't -- his buddies may get pissed off.
Voter

Lenoir City, TN

#6 Feb 23, 2013
This is the reason we need the voucher program for schools
Who Let The Dawgs Out

Manchester, TN

#7 Feb 23, 2013
Ha! an adult school trip..i wonder if they will ride the big cheese to Gatlinburg, or charter a bus company? Pfft
Another Voter

Knoxville, TN

#8 Feb 23, 2013
I wonder what they're planning to talk about that they don't want us to know?

The article said the cost of the retreat would be $5,000, That could buy alot of school supplies 'FOR THE CHILDREN'.
Enough

Knoxville, TN

#9 Feb 23, 2013
Who Let The Dawgs Out wrote:
Ha! an adult school trip..i wonder if they will ride the big cheese to Gatlinburg, or charter a bus company? Pfft
They will do it as long as we keep letting them. We should show up at the next school board meeting and raise hell and put a stop to this bullshit..Just going to spend $ 5.000.00 my ass...They even get .41 cents a mile to drive up there...
Mom

Knoxville, TN

#10 Feb 23, 2013
When the expense reports come in, deduct each ones expense from his school board salary. I bet they would decide real fast there are perfectly good places to do School Board BUSINESS right here in Loudon County. Why should we pay for hotel beds and restaurant meals for a school board meeting?
It is no different than what goes on in Washington, just on a smaller scale. Same politics as usual we get shoved down our throats from every direction. It is just more disappointing when these are the people we thought were interested in spending our children's school budget wisely. Five to ten thousand dollars would go along way on supplies.
Pops

Knoxville, TN

#11 Feb 23, 2013
Anyone that has a day off should show up at their mountain retreat; it's still a public meeting. that should make them happy.

How many spouses and childen will they bring along?

There's no way that this so called retreat will only cost $5,000.

Oh, I hear that the school board won't let people speak at board meetings unless its on the agenda. I read a couple of letters to the editor. It sounds like the school board and Vance were planning ahead.
Mom

Knoxville, TN

#12 Feb 23, 2013
Yes. They are really running from Ms. H and Mr. T. You know, the ones who take notes and ask questions. I think they are especially afraid of her camera. She gets it like it really is.
I have watched the School Board and County meetings. These two (and a few more from the village) don't play their political games. They try to keep the politicians honest, and they know their facts better than the board members much of the time. Politicians don't like it when the people want to know what goes on at their meetings and aren't afraid to ask tough questions.
Sure wish Ms. H and Mr. T could be there when they arrive.
Wouldn't that be a hoot!
3rd Eye

Philadelphia, TN

#13 Feb 25, 2013
I will be there and will get some good Pics to post for everyone to see where your money goes.Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine thats all i got to say about that.....
Austin Shaver

Nashville, TN

#14 Feb 25, 2013
For the children wrote:
Vance and school board's motto "II'S FOR THE CHILDREN'. I hope Van Shaver has the guts to do a story and share all the details on the junkets. Then again maybe he won't -- his buddies may get pissed off.
As an FYI, here is the story: http://vanshaver.com/retreat_retreat_retreat....
Mom

Knoxville, TN

#15 Feb 25, 2013
Did you read Van Shavers website post about this?. Are you kidding me? Are the school board members really going to make the taxpayers pay for family members to tag along on this vacation? Somebody tell me it ain''t so!
I'm looking for Mr. schnell's website. Help!
Mom

Knoxville, TN

#16 Feb 25, 2013
Seriously. Where is the website. How do I get my name on this petition.
I'm disappointed Mr. Shaver seems to be down on this change. Maybe because mr. Schnell's is not "from" these parts. Come on Van, you are bigger than that.
Loudon Joe

Madisonville, TN

#17 Feb 25, 2013
Where are our County Com. on the issue. I would expect EACH to voice concern. It would be fitting for the count Commission to take every cent spent on the STUPID RETREAT from the BOE budget. the cost will be $250-$350 per attndee per day. This included paid milage, 3meals, rooms, cost of meeting, equipment, and BREAK REFRESHMENTS during and AFTER. STOP THE MADNESS!
MMMmm

Ringgold, GA

#18 Feb 25, 2013
So they are worried that they can not focus on matters at hand if they stay local because of email and phone call interuptions.
Hey, I got a grand idea for the common senseless college educated board members and other tag alongs that love to spend our money.
My idea is based on common sense. Keep it local and hey, here is a grain of thought for you BOE's. When you enter a LOCAL door for the starts of meetings LEAVE YOUR SMART PHONES, PDA's, and other means of communication at the door! TA-DA!!!!
brainless jerks can't think thier way out of a paper bag...
Pop

Knoxville, TN

#19 Feb 25, 2013
We don't have to fear Loudon being taken over by TVers. As long as we won't give credibility to good educated patriots who move into the community, we will just be asking for the status quo good old boys.
We can't continue to be a good old boy run hick county and attract industrial development and business opportunities. Why would they want to come here knowing what goes on. We need to grow up and join the 21st century if we want opportunities for our kids and grand kids, if any of them other than the good old boys' would choose to stay.
Pop

Knoxville, TN

#20 Feb 25, 2013
I'd like to see a mixture of folks like Van and Wayne serving on commission. How else will we ever get that to happen but change to charter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seymour Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amanda Topanga 1 hr Mfembe Tulumbo 2
masturbation 1 hr Paula 4
areia smith (Feb '12) 1 hr Areia 9
Why Trump Hates The NFL 2 hr Need to know 33
Randy Parton is a joke !! (Apr '17) 2 hr RandJ2007 6
VOL Fan Scam 3 hr Preacher Bubba 13
Hardees (Apr '10) 5 hr guest 66

Seymour Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance