Caretakers for New Tazewell man charged with his murder

Jul 14, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WBIR-TV Knoxville

Police say a 63-year-old New Tazewell man with mental and physical disabilities died because of the "intentional neglect and abuse" of his caretakers.

Comments
1 - 20 of 79 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
soap suds

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

Sounds like a real piece of work.
Crystal

Taylors, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

So sad. You can't trust a nursing hme to care for our loved ones, nor Home Health anymore. Now we have family failig in careing for their own. How sad that one can't depend on their own to care for them.
suzy

Denver, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Crystal wrote:
So sad. You can't trust a nursing hme to care for our loved ones, nor Home Health anymore. Now we have family failig in careing for their own. How sad that one can't depend on their own to care for them.
I agree wiith u its so sad.. I couldn't let a animal go without food let alone a person.
O No

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

suzy wrote:
<quoted text>I agree wiith u its so sad.. I couldn't let a animal go without food let alone a person.
This woman should rot in prison you can tell her big butt eat pretty darn good, She did starve this man to death, around four years ago, people were telling about how she treated him, that her and her husband would eat at Mcdonalds and not take him nothing. she also spent his ssi check. Oh yeah and this is the same woman who got in trouble years ago for abusing animals, and her kids were taken away for her filthy lifestyle!
suzy

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

O No wrote:
<quoted text>
This woman should rot in prison you can tell her big butt eat pretty darn good, She did starve this man to death, around four years ago, people were telling about how she treated him, that her and her husband would eat at Mcdonalds and not take him nothing. she also spent his ssi check. Oh yeah and this is the same woman who got in trouble years ago for abusing animals, and her kids were taken away for her filthy lifestyle!
that is awful!!! That is so cruel to do anyone like that. Makes me sick. Thanks for the other info
Nosy

Harrogate, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

What's the name of this woman? I worked at Claiborne Co. Nursing Homes back in 2008 as a CNA and I was wondering if I knew who you are talking about. I seen stuff like this go on all the time there, caretakers coming in day after day, acting like they loved and truly cared for some of these residents when really all they wanted was money from the families, that's it! But this news shocks me and is so immoral, this woman, whoever she is, needs to pay for neglecting this man like she did. Hell has a special place for her.....
awful

Harrogate, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

Nosy wrote:
What's the name of this woman? I worked at Claiborne Co. Nursing Homes back in 2008 as a CNA and I was wondering if I knew who you are talking about. I seen stuff like this go on all the time there, caretakers coming in day after day, acting like they loved and truly cared for some of these residents when really all they wanted was money from the families, that's it! But this news shocks me and is so immoral, this woman, whoever she is, needs to pay for neglecting this man like she did. Hell has a special place for her.....
Johnny Rhodes and a Smith woman.
know

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

Judged:

it is pathetic! the man (john-john),is not too bright to start with!maybe retarded.probably shouldnt been taking care of anybody.somebody should be over such caretakers.isnt excuseable. but,who let the people have him to start with?need some kind of a better system so retarded people are not tending to anyone. if the state took her kids then she was charged with animal cruelty why the hell didnt some of these people who were talking about all this turn them in before the man starved. sounds like others can share the guilt if they had knowledge of this and did not report it.
well

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

know wrote:
it is pathetic! the man (john-john),is not too bright to start with!maybe retarded.probably shouldnt been taking care of anybody.somebody should be over such caretakers.isnt excuseable. but,who let the people have him to start with?need some kind of a better system so retarded people are not tending to anyone. if the state took her kids then she was charged with animal cruelty why the hell didnt some of these people who were talking about all this turn them in before the man starved. sounds like others can share the guilt if they had knowledge of this and did not report it.
I think that the man is retarted, the wife sharon smith ran the whole show. she was the boss of everything, as I look back i wished i had reported her, but you know the girl that was telling me this stuff was such a liar, I didn't really believe it like she was telling it. I know for a postive that they were nasty, they were the kind that had so much junk and filth laying around the house and the inside of the house was so full of junk that there were just little like halls to walk around in the house. This guy had other family they should have helped him. and that guy was left alone, he could have called for help.
wtf

Speedwell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2012

Judged:

That has to be the most disguisting excuse for a human being. I wish Tennessee had the death penalty cause they sure as heck deserve it. And for his own nephew to do it to that poor man makes me wanna puke. Tazewell court do your job and make sure they rot in prison. Starve, beat, and torture them the way they done that elderly man. Pieces of sh*t. Sharon Smith is a worthless mother as well. Getting her children taken cause she was to sorry and lazy to get up off her fat butt and clean her home and take care of her children. Should have been behind bars a long time ago. Completely disguisted!!!!"
just saying

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Jessica "sis" Smith Lewis(Tony Wade's girlfriend) was and is still drwing his SSI check and has been doing so since the man passed in November. She even testified in court that Sharon was fit to take care of this helpless man, I think she needs to pay and be held accountable just as well!
Do u know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

I remember going to school with Sharon's two boys. Robert and Monroe she also had a small child. Does anyone remember the little girls name? I remember Mr. Rowe and Mr. Tuttle having to chase Robert in the field across from TNT. He would run off, spit on people. They would come to school dirty every day. I felt so sorry for them. I hear Robert is in prison and the little girl was removed from the home. Thank God! I see Monroe out in town sometimes. I also remember Johnny. His mom and dad would mow yards for money and Johnny was always with them. Johnny's iq is very low and would probably be considered retarded. Not being mean or anything, but how could the system let these people care for anyone when they can't even take care of themselves? To place an elderly person in that kind of environment. Didn't they even come out and check the living conditions? The picture of Sharon shows she was eating well! They are definitely where they need to be.
wtf

Speedwell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

The young girls name is Jellica or at least that's what the family calls her.She got removed from the home and from what I hear is a horrible disobedient child that lies,steals, and treats her adoptive parents like crap. Bound to turn out just like her mother I guess. As for the boys Robert is in jail and Monroe is pretty horrible also. Sounds like a messed up group from what I hear.
not right

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

This jessica tony wades whore should be in jail with her Aunt and johnny she was the one who got that old mans check and he never got a dime and didnt even have food to eat she now getting child support on her little girl but never has her thank god that little girl has a dad that loves her when is something going to be done this jessica needs to be in jail she is a low life
SORRY AS BUCK

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

soap suds wrote:
Sounds like a real piece of work.
there is a very special place in HELL for those two people and i will go so far to say anybody that was involved in that deal will burn in hell AND SHOULD
Apryl

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

I know for a fact that Johnny and Sharon's immediate family knew about the conditions that Arvill was living in and did nothing to help him. The family members that did try to help him by reporting it were turned away, not only by the family but the county people as well. I hope anyone that had anything to do with his mistreatment get what is coming to them. Arvill was too nice of a person to have had any of that happen to him.
Randi
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

know wrote:
Johnny is not retarded! Yes he is mentally disabled though. He wasnt the care taker of his uncle, Sharon Smith was. She had all of her kids taken away from her and she has been in trouble all of her life. I have no clue what idiot let her take care of him. Johnny worked all of the time and was mostly home long enough to "maybe" grab a bite to eat if there was food, take a shower and go to bed. Everyone who knows Sharon knows what kind of woman she is and that she is capable of anything! Johnny's uncle wasnt able to speak or defend himself. We dont believe Johnny knew anything about it and if he did was too scared to say anything. Sharon used to abuse Johnny too but he would never listen to anyone. His own mother and father were lucky if they got to see him once a month!
Randi
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

well wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that the man is retarted, the wife sharon smith ran the whole show. she was the boss of everything, as I look back i wished i had reported her, but you know the girl that was telling me this stuff was such a liar, I didn't really believe it like she was telling it. I know for a postive that they were nasty, they were the kind that had so much junk and filth laying around the house and the inside of the house was so full of junk that there were just little like halls to walk around in the house. This guy had other family they should have helped him. and that guy was left alone, he could have called for help.
He was too afraid to call for help. She did run the whole show and because he wasnt right in the head I dont think he rly knew what to do. Yes us family tried to help him but he wouldnt listen. He was blinded by love and afraid of her.
Randi
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Apryl wrote:
I know for a fact that Johnny and Sharon's immediate family knew about the conditions that Arvill was living in and did nothing to help him. The family members that did try to help him by reporting it were turned away, not only by the family but the county people as well. I hope anyone that had anything to do with his mistreatment get what is coming to them. Arvill was too nice of a person to have had any of that happen to him.
No We didnt know anything about his condition. We knew that he was sick but that was it. We werent even allowed to go over there to see Arvill or Johnny because Sharon wouldnt ever let anyone in. If we knew the situation we would have called the cops a long time ago.
Randi

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Look yall really need to stop going by what you have heard ok? Johnny was a good person. He is my cousin and none of the family knew the situation. If we knew that Arvill was being misstreated we would have called the cops a long time ago. Johnny isnt retarded he is just mentally disabled. He should have been on disability but Sharon wouldnt let him. She made him work. Alot of ppl say that he is a grown man and didnt have to listen to her. Well its different when he was blinded by what he thought was love and was abused himself by Sharon. We tried to get him out of there but he wouldnt listen to anyone. As far as we know he had no clue that Sharon was abusing Arvill and if he did know then we know that he was too scared to tell anyone because Sharon would have found out and probably beat him. He worked at Englands and after work would go do alot of odd and end jobs for ppl so he had enough time to eat, if there was any food, take a shower and go to bed. Arvill couldnt speak very well or defend himself so there wasnt anything that he could do. She hardly ever left Arvills side. If anyone was to come over, like a nurse or anyone, either they didnt pay attention to his condition or they knew and didnt say anything. Arvill couldnt say anything because Sharon was always at his side. None of us family could even go over there and if we did Sharon wouldnt let us inside. Johnny's mom and dad were lucky if they got to see or hear from him once a month. For you that say you know the facts...you dont! Johnny is innocent and doesnt deserve to go to prison for murder. Anyone that knows Sharon knows how she is and knows that she is capable of doing this kind of thing. We know that her family and friends knew what was going on but yet no one ever said anything and because of that Arvill died. Johnny was going to tell what he knew and then all of a sudden when his mom went to see him in jail he decided he wasnt going to go against Sharon and that makes us believe that someone threatened him. Johnny would never make it in prison. We are hoping that he decides to speak up before it is too late. For those of you who knew what was going on you should have called the cops a long time ago. For those that are her family and friends you all knew what kind of woman she was and should have tried to stop this! Yall know that Johnny is a good person but I am sure you all think that if Sharon goes to prison then Johnny should too! So anyone that knew what was going on and the ppl that allowed her to become Arvills care takers should be thrown in prison along with Sharon! Hell even the investigator knows that Johnny is innocent but trying to prove it is a different story. I pray everyday for my cousin Johnny. I pray that when they evaluate him they see that he wont ever make it in prison and see that he is innocent. I pray everyday for my auny Kathy and uncle John because they are going through so much right now. You all talk your shit all of the time about them but you have no clue what they are going through or what Johnny is going through. Get your facts straight before you decide to run your mouth and say you know this and that cause you dont know anything!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Sevier County was issued at August 20 at 4:56PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Seymour Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Seymour Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••