Sevier County Rescue Squad- a new thr...

Sevier County Rescue Squad- a new thread

Posted in the Sevierville Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
SCRS Member

Dandridge, TN

#1 Apr 12, 2012
I am on the SCRS and after reading the current thread for us I think that starting a new thread is appropriate. A lot has changed since the start of that thread. New members, new leadership, and lots of training and improved SOP's/SOG's. We hope that our relationships with everyone in the county can improve(including other departments that don't care for us). I personally joined to better myself and do good for people when they need it the most.

I am hoping that this thread will end up more tasteful than the previous one.
metoo

Lenoir City, TN

#2 Apr 13, 2012
SCRS Member wrote:
I am on the SCRS and after reading the current thread for us I think that starting a new thread is appropriate. A lot has changed since the start of that thread. New members, new leadership, and lots of training and improved SOP's/SOG's. We hope that our relationships with everyone in the county can improve(including other departments that don't care for us). I personally joined to better myself and do good for people when they need it the most.
I am hoping that this thread will end up more tasteful than the previous one.
This attitude and care for the community is what our whole country needs to be thinking.
Thank you for being there at the darkest times for those who need help.
NoConfidence

Columbia, TN

#3 Apr 13, 2012
The community was hoping for a changed rescue squad. But....after the last SCFCA meeting where the squad was given 6 months to improve basically every aspect of their response I am guessing not much has changed. Nothing has changed, in fact i am concerned it has only gotten worse.
SCRS Member

Melrose, FL

#4 Apr 13, 2012
NoConfidence wrote:
The community was hoping for a changed rescue squad. But....after the last SCFCA meeting where the squad was given 6 months to improve basically every aspect of their response I am guessing not much has changed. Nothing has changed, in fact i am concerned it has only gotten worse.
I don't really want to argue about the same things as the other thread but in response I will say this: the mayor and sheriff of sevierville county has informed us that they back us and stand behind us 100%. Also TN association of Rescue Squads feel the same way. That is as of the first Tuesday of April 2012.
SCRS Member

Melrose, FL

#5 Apr 13, 2012
NoConfidence wrote:
The community was hoping for a changed rescue squad. But....after the last SCFCA meeting where the squad was given 6 months to improve basically every aspect of their response I am guessing not much has changed. Nothing has changed, in fact i am concerned it has only gotten worse.
I also want to add that SCFCA stands for Sevier County FIRE Chiefs Association, for those reading this that don't know. They are FIRE not Rescue Squad personnel. I also know that over half the chiefs in the county walked out of that meeting because it was ridiculous.
balls

United States

#6 Apr 13, 2012
SCRS Member wrote:
<quoted text>I also want to add that SCFCA stands for Sevier County FIRE Chiefs Association, for those reading this that don't know. They are FIRE not Rescue Squad personnel. I also know that over half the chiefs in the county walked out of that meeting because it was ridiculous.
your full of crap. Every Chief at the meeting talked about bad experience they have had with the rescue squad. No Chief walked out of the meeting. If you wanna get the meeting notes it will also show the vote was unanimous.
Hmmmmm

Columbia, TN

#7 Apr 13, 2012
County budget for RS=90,000
Cost to repaint green truck to red trucks=5,000
An organization that has superior training and can get the job done=PRICELESS
Positively not positive

Kodak, TN

#8 Apr 13, 2012
Well dang, guess this really set the record straight! NOT! When you start the "new thread" in the hopes of seeing a positive affirmation and you begin said thread with, ummmmmm, what appears to be less than factual, straightens absolutely nothing but adds to the negativity. Where do we go from here?
SCRS Member

Dandridge, TN

#9 Apr 13, 2012
We have all had bed experiences with different responding agencies. Every department is bound to make mistakes, even Fire Departments, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone".

If the meeting notes show a unanimous vote from all chiefs in Sevier county then some of the chiefs lied to us. How in the world can you hold it against me if YOUR chiefs lied to me. We were told that several of them left the meeting when that was brought to attention(Waldens Creek, North View, Kodak, and I think Pittman Center and Caton's Chapel). It doesn't really matter anyway about the meeting because they didn't go through the right channels before sending the letter and from what I understand they are going to be in some trouble for that. I don't really know what they think they are going to do...if the Sheriff and the Mayor are both behind us then they're not going to get very far with their threats. I know they want our equipment, trucks, and building but that isn't going to happen they are bought and paid for by SCRS.

We serve the people of Sevier County. If they have a problem with us then they should do something about it, that will never happen because they don't. The people on here that don't like us were on the squad at one point and time and had a problem and now they choose to bash us for anything they can imagine. They bash us for the same things that they do all the time.

What I would really like is for all emergency departments in Sevier County to figure this out and work together for the people we serve.
balls

Lebanon, TN

#10 Apr 13, 2012
I am not bashing anyone. You started a new thread wanting nice comments, but started with half of the Chiefs walking out. They did not and if they told you they did, than they did bold face lie to you. As far as the proper channels, there are not any. This was just a formality nothing more. So no one is, nor could they, get into trouble. It was all designed, and pretty much outlined in the letter, to get the attention of the Sevier County Rescue Squad. This is not just stemming from one incident, or from a small time frame, but rather bringing attention to a problem that has been evident for years. What is the problem, only one, complete lack of leadership. Now in saying that, there are many symptoms of a lack of leadership, training being at the top of the list. I truly do hope that you, Mr. SCRS Member, do realize that. When responding members step off of the crash truck and the first phrase from their mouths is something to the effect of, "what do you need? I do not have any training, but I will help anyway I can; there is a serious problem. When you have members respond to MVA's that are Under 18. There is a serious problem. When the only response your chief has to the concerns the SCFCA has is, "I did not know all of this was going on." There is a problem. He is the Chief; it is totally his responsibility to know what is going on in his department. In saying that, I have absolutely noting but the up most respect for him. He has spent most of his life volunteering in the service of others. I could give about 20 first hand, detailed examples, but there is no need for that. No one is bashing the SCRS or being disrespectful. They are truly only trying to help. There are many great things that can be said about the SCRS. You all have a lot of selfless, great people. The lack of training is not the individual members fault. Stepping off of the rescue truck untrained, is not their fault. They should have never been put in the situation in the first place. The lack of training falls upon the leaders of the department.
Again, No one is bashing or disrespecting the SCRS. The SCFCA is simply just using the vote of no confidence to bring light to concerns that they as a fire service have had for many years. Unfortunately, in the past, these concerns have been brought to the leadership of the SCRS, but in most cases these concerns have fallen upon deaf ears, thus, forcing a stronger action by the SCFCA. No one wants anything but the SCRS to get the better training and to keep current with the training they receive. In doing this, the SCRS will be more effective and safer in helping the fire departments they respond with and the tax payers they serve.
SCRS Member

Dandridge, TN

#11 Apr 13, 2012
I do believe that the concerns the SCFCA have did not fall on deaf ears this time around. I agree with you that when a group of people get off a crash truck and have no idea what they are doing it isn't helping anything. I still think though that trainees should go on calls because I believe that what you see and do in the field is the best form of training. To answer this concern the SCRS has put in place a new SOP that the ratio of trainees to members cannot exceed 1:1 on scene anymore. If a trainee is on scene they will be at the hip of an experienced member, helping them, and of course willing to help anyone else on scene that may see a way to utilize them. We also are going to be training the 2nd and 3rd Tuesday of every month...unless English Mountain catches on fire again lol. We had extrication training scheduled the day the man power call came over for it.

I am with you when you say that we need to get some more training. I really believe that their is no such thing as too much training. I may be stepping over the line here (because I'm not an officer and haven't talked with any officers about it) but I would like to extend an open invitation to any department that wants to come down and talk with us about techniques. From what I have heard the SCFCA doesn't completely approve of our extrication techniques and while I can't say we will change them (because they follow TARS standards) we would be willing to communicate with you about why we do things the way we do and why you think they should be done differently. I for one am always open minded to a better way of doing things if a better way exists. I think at the end of the day we would really like to just build a working relationship with all agencies in Sevier County, a GOOD working relationship rather.

This is to all fire fighters in Sevier County. Whoever is reading this if your department may be interested please just let us know.
Cogdill408

United States

#12 Apr 16, 2012
balls wrote:
<quoted text>
your full of crap. Every Chief at the meeting talked about bad experience they have had with the rescue squad. No Chief walked out of the meeting. If you wanna get the meeting notes it will also show the vote was unanimous.
Yea we got them they walked out so thank you
Firefighter

Herndon, VA

#13 Apr 16, 2012
To balls i was at the fire meeting that night and not all cheifs signed the paper and the county mayor and commissioner WILL NOT see the later because it has to be brought up to the emer. Meeting and the person that wrote the paper doesn't have the balls too sign his name too it and bring it to that meeting so that paper is now toliet paper I'n everyones eyes
Cogdill408

Novato, CA

#14 Apr 16, 2012
Aman Firefighter now the truth comes out
Concerned citizen

Madison, TN

#15 Apr 21, 2012
Instead of getting defensive over what did or did not happen in the chiefs meeting.step back and evaluate your department or squad and see if you are providing the care that the county deserves.Just because a department is volunteer does not mean the are OK to be passed off and unproffesional and inexperienced.As leaders you are responsible to ensure the crew responding knows what they're doing and is willing to help other agencies perform a common goal.When there are standoffs nobody wins.lets open our minds and fix whats broken so we can put these issues to rest once and for all.
Wil

Traverse City, MI

#17 Apr 23, 2012
Did any one participate in the rescue of a 20 yr. old wm who collapsed in a organized run? Air lifted to U of T in Knoxville...happened 4-21-12 a.m.
fire

Sevierville, TN

#19 Apr 25, 2012
ever dept in the county has problems I've been a Lt at a vol fire dept in this county and their was problems in our dept as well. I don't think any one dept should point figers and tell another dept what they should or shouldn't do they need to worry about their own dept
fire

Sevierville, TN

#20 Apr 25, 2012
Yea without sin cast the 1st stone
Knows The Truth

United States

#21 Apr 26, 2012
fire wrote:
Yea without sin cast the 1st stone
No one is trying to tell them how to run their department, I am also in emergency services in this county and I have seen first hand how far down hill the SCRS has went over the past few years. What the SCFCA is trying to achieve is simply open the eyes of the SCRS to the fact that FD's in this county are sick and tired of them showing up on wreck scenes with children on their trucks ( i.e. explorers) and personnel who have zero training. If it was your family entrapped u deserve a SCRS that can do their job and rescue that family member.
Pierce Investigations

Kodak, TN

#22 Apr 27, 2012
This band of morons needs to be de-funded and disbanded. The county can put the money to much better use that supplying Todd Spence a place to sleep and jerk off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sevierville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 9 hr guess ill change ... 4,951
Who's the easiest girl to lay 12 hr mark the trucker 6
Christina Maria Laughinghouse 23 hr Getto 8
Doctor Guerra (Apr '10) Oct 15 Schulley 34
Billy Parton and Brandy Parton Oct 14 DQ Employee 3
bamboo massage Oct 14 TrJay 15
prostitute in Sevierville (Mar '13) Oct 13 Smells Fishy 13

Sevierville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sevierville Mortgages