Passengers stranded on Dollywood's "T...

Passengers stranded on Dollywood's "Timber Tower"

There are 462 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Jun 16, 2007, titled Passengers stranded on Dollywood's "Timber Tower". In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

A mishap at Dollywood left 44 visitors stranded on a ride Saturday night for more than three hours.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 24
Next Last
John

Gallatin, TN

#1 Jun 16, 2007
This isn't the first time this has happened on this ride. They can usally fix in a few minutes but they hey as long as the safety measure kick in I guess its ok. This also happened to me and my wife 2 different time on the Mystery Mine but hey its can't be that bad if we keep going back.

“Ahhh, Hans Brix...”

Since: Feb 07

Pyongyang, North Korea

#2 Jun 16, 2007
I've rode this ride, and it SUCKS! A lot of hype over nothing, really.
linda

Miami, FL

#9 Jun 17, 2007
How scary!
scott julian

United States

#12 Jun 17, 2007
I am glad they are finally doing something about this ride. My family and I went to Dollywood last year and every single time we tried to ride it, it was "closed for electrical problems". This is something that should have been addressed way before this.
Kathy

Dalton, GA

#13 Jun 17, 2007
My son was at Dollywood with his friends. His friend was one of the people who was stranded on the ride. I don't know where they got the "3" hours stranded, but this ride started around 6:30 and his friend did get off until after midnight.
hummm

Miami, FL

#15 Jun 17, 2007
scott julian wrote:
I am glad they are finally doing something about this ride. My family and I went to Dollywood last year and every single time we tried to ride it, it was "closed for electrical problems". This is something that should have been addressed way before this.
is this the only ride that has problems? my family was fixing to go there and i want to know if it is worth it.
Christy

United States

#17 Jun 17, 2007
I was on the ride and it started at 6:30 and I did not get off until 12:30. That is an awfull long 3 hours.
Tiger

United States

#22 Jun 17, 2007
borne, not born.
JLB

United States

#31 Jun 17, 2007
My husband was one of the people stuck on this ride last night. He was luckily one of the first ones off at about 10:45 pm. We left about 11:15, and they still had 75% of the passengers waiting to be rescued. I'm sure it was close to 1:00 am before they got everyone off.

Interestingly enough, I just noticed that Timber Tower has been removed from the attractions list at www.dollywood.com . That was fast. I think that may be the last we see of that ride.

Oh, and I just wanted to say that the Dollywood staff was awesome considering the circumstances. They had unlimited food and drinks for the family members waiting at the bottom. They took water up in a crane to the passengers on the ride. They had medical personnel, food, and water waiting for passengers once they got off. And then a shuttle took you straight to your car. We all got Dollywood Superpasses. Under the circumstances, they did the very best they could. I just wish they had called in the fire department sooner. They wasted a lot of time trying to fix the ride and get it to come down on its own.
Tamera Greenlee

Franklin, TN

#32 Jun 17, 2007
I was on the ride last night. It was a very long night for all of us. We were on the ride longer the 3 hours. I was on it for about 6 hours and some of the others were on for about 7 hours. I have pictures of it if anyone needs them. I made my mother take them. I knew something was wrong when I saw the lady going for the phone and a book after hearing a popping sound behind us. I was really glad I had my phone. I called wbir to let them know what was going on. I also called my family to let them know that I was ok. I am so thankful for the Pigeon Forge and Sevierville Fire Departments for helping to get us down. My email is [email protected] if anyone needs those pictures.
Tamera Greenlee

Franklin, TN

#34 Jun 17, 2007
ToddB wrote:
I've rode this ride, and it SUCKS! A lot of hype over nothing, really.
Ok... It wasn't over nothing. There was alot that people didn't know and won't know. A little girl almost died. If you would have been up there you wouldn't have thought it was "nothing".
Everyone is making this into something that it shouldn't be. We are all ok and the whole gay thing. Drop it. It had nothing to do with what happen. Get over it. Times have changed. I'm not gay, but they live their life how they do. I have NOT MET A GAY YET THAT HAS PUSHED THEIR WAY OF LIFE ON ME! They won't. Get over it! If you all weren't up there then leave this alone. You don't know how it was.
Mike

Cookeville, TN

#43 Jun 17, 2007
My two sons and I were on the ride when malfunctions occurred. I wish it was only for 3 hours. It happened at roughly 6:30. We were one of the last to be removed via one of two ladder trucks from the PFFD and SFD at roughly 12:30 a.m.- i.e. 6 hours. Regarding some of the posting about this being a water ride ... the only water we encountered was the bottle that was sent up via a cherry picker. The primary issue is not related to who was visiting the park that day. The primary issue should be ... why did the park not have a contingency plan in place to deal with such event? I do appreciate the efforts of everyone involved in trying to figure out how to extract 40+ people from 50-60 feet in the air out of restrained seats. However, a "plan" along with a back-up plan should have developed long before last night. I hope that Dollywood takes the internal investigation serious enough to learn from other companies/industries that have successfully implemented contingency plans.
Concerned Student

AOL

#44 Jun 17, 2007
This is the exact reason why WBIR is censoring alot of news stories' commentaries here lately- a bunch of ignorant bigots sway everything off topic. I bet you all are big supporters of the racist KKK rally that occured in Knoxville as well, aren't you?

Dollywood has had nothing but problems out of this ride, of course, it is a prototype, and is the only ride of its kind in North America, so im not really surprised, Dollywood does a great job in maintaining their rides and attractions...
visitor

Annandale, MN

#46 Jun 17, 2007
it was also girl scout day! an entire troop of little girls was on that ride, some of my family included!!

They were stuck for 6 hours!

They were NOT in the water

“Ahhh, Hans Brix...”

Since: Feb 07

Pyongyang, North Korea

#47 Jun 17, 2007
Tamera Greenlee wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok... It wasn't over nothing. There was alot that people didn't know and won't know. A little girl almost died. If you would have been up there you wouldn't have thought it was "nothing".
You need a "jump to conclusions" mat. I didn't say this accident or incident was nothing, I said the ride was nothing. Settle down, Beavis...
Frannie

AOL

#51 Jun 17, 2007
I was at Dollywood on Friday. While there, Timber Towers got stuck for about 10 minutes with people on the ride. They were able to get it fixed and get the people down, however, the ride must have some sort of problem.
Scary Rides

AOL

#54 Jun 17, 2007
John wrote:
This isn't the first time this has happened on this ride. They can usally fix in a few minutes but they hey as long as the safety measure kick in I guess its ok. This also happened to me and my wife 2 different time on the Mystery Mine but hey its can't be that bad if we keep going back.
So tell us about your experience on Mystery Mine. Where did it get stuck? Did you get compensation?

Since: Jan 07

Morristown, TN

#58 Jun 17, 2007
I am so ashamed that the posting on this topic has turned into such a mess. If this keeps up you do know that WBIR will not allow posting at all right? And since some of the best information does come from these boards that would be a shame. Stick to the topic for goodness sake.

I am very glad that everyone involved was returned to safety. How awful for everyone. But what a good story you have to tell. ;)*just kidding* But you have to admit it was surely pretty interesting and a good story after your feet were safely on the ground. And I bet not a scene you would ever want to be in again.
visitor

Annandale, MN

#67 Jun 17, 2007
ATTENTION NEWS WRITERS!!!!!

They were stuck for over 6 hours!!! You have several accounts of this. Please get your story straight.

Why isn't any other news organization covering this? There is no reason for people to be stranded for 6 hours or more! I searched the net and found all types of rescues taking 1 hour or less, even upside down!!!!

Someone needs to bring this to the medias attention before it happens again!!!

What if someone one was having heart problems or a storm came by?????

maybe someone from cnn will read this.
What I Read

Blountville, TN

#70 Jun 17, 2007
The story said more than three hours. If you read the postes befor eyour own there are some people who were actually on the ride who said they got off in just less than four hours and some that took as long as six.

What is a blessing here is that no one was hurt, the park and fire departments executed a rescue at 50 feet without incieent. It also sounds like Dollywood dealt with these people very compassionately by giving them food and clothing, hotel rooms etc. One lady said she received super passes for the park. That is way above what most parks or other places of business would do.

In MY internet search, I could not find any accidents in Dollywood's history or a rescue ever having to be done. I think they do a great job maintaining their rides and running the park.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sevierville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 2 hr STFU 3,980
rentals⛺ 3 hr paul 2
Dolly and her Hillary Clinton article in Knoxvi... 4 hr crazydon 8
psi probation 6 hr pauline 2
Bamboo massage (Sep '14) Mon interested 101
Is there weed in Sevierville TN? (Jun '13) Aug 21 Natty 31
Review: Chinese Pressure Massage (May '13) Aug 21 paul 36

Sevierville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance