York Fair visitors, vendors look back...

York Fair visitors, vendors look back, forward to 2011

There are 24 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Sep 20, 2010, titled York Fair visitors, vendors look back, forward to 2011. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Leroy Koller, right, of Spring Grove, helps hobbyist Carl Richard, of Blandon, Berks County, pack up his turkeys Sunday at the York Fair.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
midway madness

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Sep 20, 2010
Another year of over priced food vendor prices , parking fees and junk garage sale prize items and empty display areas in the books . I am sure the fair organizers are looking forward to next yr at other ways to overcharge the people for this yearly sham and increase the amount the vendors that are dumb enough to return in set-up / rent fees .
_ogjt Atpf

York, PA

#3 Sep 20, 2010
I wonder how many vendors the Fair will lose next year?
Common Sense Soldier

York, PA

#4 Sep 20, 2010
Another year of overinflated attendance figures as well. There is a reason that 75% of York County DOESN'T attend......

A great way to get people in, especially during this economic depression, would be to CUT admission & parking prices in half, and drop vendor prices as well, in something that is called "an effort" to get the fairgrounds full and worthwhile. Each year, fairgoers get ripped off more and more, and NO I'm not talking about the carnie games.
WTF

Camp Hill, PA

#5 Sep 20, 2010
Each year it seems to get worse. The fair organizers are eventually going to run the fair into the ground and there will be no more York Fair. Keep raising the prices, driving the good vendors out and bringing in the flea market style vendors... we'll end up having a once a year flea market in place of a York Fair.
Don Corleone

Moorestown, NJ

#6 Sep 20, 2010
I saw the same vendors this year as I did 25 years ago. And $3.00 for a hamburger and $2.50 for a giant soda isn't what I would call highway robbery. What a bunch of cheapskates.
Just_Me

United States

#7 Sep 20, 2010
If they are having trouble getting vehicles in to empty the trash cans, they need to start driving them in at a steady speed, constantly honking horns, like some of the kamikaze golf cart drivers that pass through there.
_atop gosi

Mount Laurel, NJ

#8 Sep 20, 2010
Don Corleone wrote:
I saw the same vendors this year as I did 25 years ago. And $3.00 for a hamburger and $2.50 for a giant soda isn't what I would call highway robbery. What a bunch of cheapskates.
I guess you didn't walk through Memorial Hall or under the Grandstand. There were many vacant spots. The grandstand used to have twice as many stands years ago. And outside it isn't much better. You can "do" the fair in about 2 hours. Years ago you came back a second time to see what you didn't get around to the first time. If YLT stops selling steak sandwiches they'll be no need for me to even go.
Big B

York, PA

#9 Sep 20, 2010
It is about time the fair organizers realize that they have ruined a very good thing for the York Area. Why do you need to overcharge the organizations who look forward to showing off their business to the fair goers. Why do you think the fair is getting smaller? Doesn't take much of a brain to see were this fair is heading. If you charge less for the vendors and less for admission you could have record attendance figures for years to come. For some reason I don't think we are on the same page. Yes, you have taxes and expenses, but who doesn't. You seem to overcharge for everything that is scheduled at the fair grounds, so were does all the money go??? Would be interesting to see some open books on all income versus expenses at the fair grounds. After should be nothing to hide from all who support the fair.
YC Resident

York, PA

#10 Sep 20, 2010
I was shocked at the decrease in vendors and rides this year. Kiddie land was completely gone and underneath the grandstand was a sad site to see. I wouldn't mind paying the higher prices if the food was any good and what is up with that nasty RC Cola crap? But the thing that upset me most was seeing a little boy bleeding profusely from his face, not sure if it was his nose or mouth and his mother screaming for help. One of the fair employees, with a walkie-talkie directed her to the first aid station, which from where we were standing was quite a distance. They REFUSED to call one of their little golf carts to come get her and the little boy. That was absolutely uncalled for. She was running with him, trying to get the crowd out of her way:( I hope the little boy is doing better now. And it was so upsetting to walk by the "firestation" and not see an engine in there. The firefighters from previous years would never have let that mother run for help, absolutely disgraceful!!!!!!!!!!
GRINCH

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Sep 20, 2010
This is great.....The fair recorded over
609 thousand people and only 9 negative
comments ...OUTSTANDING.
The common average is about 3 percent dissatisfaction with a service. So the
Fair's doing well. Congrats to Gene Schenk
and the board for a great Fair.
And to those of you complainers why not VOLUNTEER
your time YEAR round to help produce the Fair.
Of course not...your to lazy and just want to
complain about all those who put the time in
to produce the FAIR.
midway madness

Spring Grove, PA

#12 Sep 20, 2010
GRINCH wrote:
comments ...OUTSTANDING.
to produce the FAIR.
I did help the fair by for over 15 yrs showing exhibits which by the way took me over 30 hrs of my time to make only to have poor judging and constant mishandling and displaying of my works not to mention my costs which the fair not once increased the prize money ever so I quit for good .The fair rakes in more fees every year why not spread some of it around instead of pocketing the loot . I am not the only exhibitor who called it quits either this year lots did I heard there was alot of empty space in those display areas like the old main building where I use to show my work . Lazy I think not tired of the York Fair same old same old year after year except for the higher prices YOU BET !! Dont believe those over inflated attendance figures either people are catching on to this sham . If its so affordable why did WGAL pullout of memorial hall why are there less food vendors because its getting to expensive . The works I showed for years cost me alot of money to produce not to mention my time with this economy and costs going up just to make ends meet I said enough is enough so I cut out the York Fair . More power to you for volunteering your time but I for one am finished with this yearly event which is going downhill every year .
midawy ripoff

Spring Grove, PA

#13 Sep 20, 2010
Ham and Cheese sandwich 4.75 outrageous , 6.00 for a slice of pizza call that affordable where did the ham come from the pentagon , buckingham palace , the white house perhaps ? The fair touts itself as afordable entertainment not by those prices you can eat alot cheaper outside the fairgrounds .
Hugh Jass

Ephrata, PA

#14 Sep 20, 2010
GRINCH wrote:
comments ...OUTSTANDING.
to produce the FAIR.
Most people who attend the fair don't read or post on these boards.
But it looks like 100% dissatisfaction if you ask me...9 for 9.
Take my advice, leave statistics to the experts. And there are many great charitable organizations that could use "volunteer time", not the fair. Many people volunteer to spend cash at the fair....it is a business after all. They deserve a better product based on the comments written here.
The News

Clifton Heights, PA

#15 Sep 20, 2010
midawy ripoff wrote:
Where did the ham come from the pentagon , buckingham palace , the white house perhaps ? T
No ham at the White House. Muslims aren't allowed to eat it.
Wendy Thomas

Annapolis, MD

#16 Sep 20, 2010
I'm told that Wendy's on Carlisle Rd does better than average business during Fair Week--cheaper to fill up the family there before or after going to the Fairgrounds.
biohazard

York, PA

#17 Sep 21, 2010
Has Bury's Famous Hamburgers finally given up the ghost? Johnnie Eagle's was still there, but I couldn't find the larger stand.
Just_Me

United States

#18 Sep 21, 2010
biohazard wrote:
Has Bury's Famous Hamburgers finally given up the ghost? Johnnie Eagle's was still there, but I couldn't find the larger stand.
It was there, sort of across from the fire station. Bury's is about the only reason why I go to the fair.
Don Corleone

Moorestown, NJ

#19 Sep 21, 2010
Phil Gramm was right and we are a nation of whiners.
Just_Me

United States

#20 Sep 21, 2010
Don Corleone wrote:
Phil Gramm was right and we are a nation of whiners.
Wanting value for our money makes us whiners?
George

Marshall, VA

#21 Sep 21, 2010
_atop gosi wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you didn't walk through Memorial Hall or under the Grandstand. There were many vacant spots. The grandstand used to have twice as many stands years ago. And outside it isn't much better. You can "do" the fair in about 2 hours. Years ago you came back a second time to see what you didn't get around to the first time. If YLT stops selling steak sandwiches they'll be no need for me to even go.
I know what you mean! The greek church doesnt even run the GYRO stand any more! Soon the baked potatoes will go then the chopped steaks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seven Valleys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News York victims of sexual assault struggle for peace (Apr '13) Jan 23 Malachi Sawyer 2
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
News Dodging Delaware's tolls? Don't forget the road... (Nov '07) Dec '16 lollipop 14
News Lancaster County megachurch expands into York C... (Jul '10) Nov '16 Jeff 28
News Seven Valleys teen admits to arson (Sep '08) Apr '16 adam wilt 1 40
News Hostility flares at West York council meeting (Jan '12) Apr '16 Trish 9
News Two face off for magisterial district (Nov '11) Jan '16 Hal Jaleikakik 3

Seven Valleys Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seven Valleys Mortgages