Baby left in hot car

There are 17 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 30, 2010, titled Baby left in hot car. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Richard Wiegard kissed his grandson goodbye and thanked God he was his playful, happy self.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chill Out

Spring Grove, PA

#22 Jun 30, 2010
No one here is saying it's okay to leave a child or anyone else in a hot car. What this father did was not okay. But it does not make him a horrible father or person. He obviously committed no crime since the police even realized it was an ACCIDENT.

I guarantee anyone over a certain age here has left their child unattended in a car for some amount of time whether it was to run into a store, get gas, pay for gas, run into the house and get something they forgot, etc. Our parents did it with us and we survived. It's just now the news media does an excellent job of letting us know of the worst case scenario of every situation and it brings the whata coulda shoulda to light.

Thankfully this story had a happy ending. We should be happy about that. I am.

Since: Jul 09

Columbus, OH

#26 Jun 30, 2010
Rick wrote:
What is it with the "neighbor", who called 911? Seems the smart thing to do would be to go to the door of the house where the baby was in the car and speak to them, which would also get the quickest response AND saved the police from responding.
Rick, It was an apartment complex not a house.......... where do you start knocking on doors. I would have done the same thing, made the 911 call. Some folks on the previous thread said the person should have removed the baby from the car.
I would do that if the windows had been up and locked, but making the call was the right thing to do, IMHO
geeze

Carlisle, PA

#27 Jun 30, 2010
HOLY CRAP, I nver left my kids in the car on a hot day and I know I never forgot them! Howeve I know some ppl don't have that little click in their head that say's BABY FIRST... and those ppl shouldn't have children. I understand it was an accident or "mistake" but com'on now. Do you forget to feed him too????
Lois

Chambersburg, PA

#28 Jun 30, 2010
come on pople it hapen let it go
cop are dilling whit it .
Rick

Ellicott City, MD

#29 Jun 30, 2010
careaboutpa wrote:
<quoted text>
Rick, It was an apartment complex not a house.......... where do you start knocking on doors. I would have done the same thing, made the 911 call. Some folks on the previous thread said the person should have removed the baby from the car.
I would do that if the windows had been up and locked, but making the call was the right thing to do, IMHO
A quick re-read shows "townhouse", so you might be right.
Michelle

Westminster, MD

#30 Jun 30, 2010
I was a little confused I thought he knew the child was in the car. I have never gone into a store or home and left my son in the car. With this heat we have been experiencing lucky the child was not harmed. I do understand how easily these things can happen. Children and youth will do whats in the best interest of this child. One mistake does not make a bad parent. This father may just need some support. We should be reacing out and offering support instead of condeming him for making a error.
REG

York, PA

#31 Jun 30, 2010
Resident wrote:
Quit being so darn critical. The first thing everyone does on here is slam the person (people) in the article and deem them all to hell. Have you never made a mistake in your life?!
I truly get the vibe that this was an honest mistake. A very poor choice on the father and sounds like the whole family learned a harsh, valuable lesson the hard way. Thankfully not the ultimate price. I believe things happen for a reason and perhaps this was a wake up call for everyone involved (and us readers) that we must be aware at all times with our children.
I've raised 2 kids to adults and I feel proud that I did without serious incidents, but Lord knows I made my share of mistakes and had a few close calls. I was driving down the road one day when I looked in the rear view mirror and realized that my 2 year old son was sitting in his car seat w/o the pull down thing latched over him. I nearly wrecked from the shock of it. Absolutely stupid mistake on my part and could've killed him if we had an accident, but everyone was okay and it made me realize I had to be very aware of everything I did so I didn't make a mistake like that again. These things sometimes happen to wake us up. Did I deserve to be called every name in the book? I don't think so but everyone here apparently would.
Give the poor guy a break. He obviously had a lot on his mind and meant absolutely no harm, and no harm was done. I'm thankful the police realized that and didn't charge him. That alone should be enough to make you realize it was just a stupid mistake.
Now go live your perfect little lives, or the next article so you can put down someone else.
You get the vibe from a newspaper article????? An article that had no direct comments from the irresponsible father??? Give me a break and get over yourself. I have a five month old and cannot even comprehend how I could make the "mistake" to leave her in the car. This is not just a simple mistake. The life of that child was at risk, but as long as your "vibe" told you that he meant no harm, then I guess we should just go off of that. No one is perfect. But, when raising a child, parents need to at least use common sense.
VOA

Mount Wolf, PA

#32 Jun 30, 2010
avid gardener wrote:
"We are all human. It could happen to anyone."
uh, NO! It could NOT happen to "anyone"!!! Being a parent is being responsible for your child! Oh, wait, being a "human" is being responsible for your surroundings.
I cannot stand to hear "oops, I forgot @ the baby" or "I thought someone else was watching the baby"...which, in turn I say, WHO>????????
I am going to sound "old" but I truly feel sorry for some of these children I see w/the parents they have ... To cal them 'mom' & 'dad' is truly sad!
Oh yeah, it can happen to anyone. While I've never personally left any of my children in my car, I can see how it happens. Did you note the statistical increase when we started putting children in the backseat? I don't know about this person, but I carry a personal cell phone, a work Blackberry--and on weeks when I'm on call, I have TWO blackberries and my personal phone--sometimes all three are ringing at once.

We live in a society where we're expected to be at the beck and call of our employer 24x7--I can't recall the last time I've had a full night of sleep without either a phone call (or in the day pager) waking me up; I've been in my career field almost 3 decades now. Up until pagers became commonplace,it was nice but now it's wore and with the advent of 'smart phones', things are getting even worse. At least in September we're getting rid of the on-call blackberry; and just going to use a forwarded phone number; but until then, I get to look like the ultimate techno-geek every three weeks.

It's easy to be distracted--I don't know how many times I've been on my phone while driving, parked the car, got out and left it running. Thank goodness my kids were teens when pagers came out; because it could have just as easily been me.

We're too distracted in our lives; and it's just getting worse.

I just praise the Lord that this child was ok--and I agree that the neighbor should have pulled the baby out of the car, then gone to the door. That's a whole lot more neighborly than calling the police.
Bobbi

Hanover, PA

#33 Jun 30, 2010
We are all human and make mistakes but when it comes to our children, we as parents need to use common sense. Accidents happen but this is absolutely PREVENTABLE!!! There is no room for mistakes when it comes to keeping our children safe. I am so glad this little guy is ok. It could have been a horrible tragedy.
no name

Tarentum, PA

#34 Jun 30, 2010
We are all human and yea we makes some wrong choices, thats life but when it comes to children... well there is no excuses.. who put this child in his seat? was he even in a seat belt.. someone had to put him in there... leaving him in 90 degrees weather this could have a very horrible tragedy...
CCane

Ellicott City, MD

#35 Jun 30, 2010
Rick from Baltimore, thank you! Amen! WHY didn't the neighbor come down and try knocking on a door or two? I know this family. There were no cars on the street except the 3 in front of this house. The quickest thing would be to knock on the door & ask if they forgot the baby was in there. THEN, call 911 if there's a problem. He went in with papers, started talking, and then forgot about Joseph. Stupid -- absolutely. Could I have done it? I can't imagine I could, and he deserves a good scare, which he got. But, the baby is safe, he learned a lesson.
Molly Goldberg

Hanover, PA

#36 Jun 30, 2010
Go back to the old days. Car seat belongs in the front seat. Get rid of the airbags.
CCane

Ellicott City, MD

#37 Jun 30, 2010
Forgot to say - this IS a townhouse apt complex so there's not so many doors!
William Wright

Hanover, PA

#38 Jul 3, 2010
Michelle wrote:
I was a little confused I thought he knew the child was in the car. I have never gone into a store or home and left my son in the car. With this heat we have been experiencing lucky the child was not harmed. I do understand how easily these things can happen. Children and youth will do whats in the best interest of this child. One mistake does not make a bad parent. This father may just need some support. We should be reacing out and offering support instead of condeming him for making a error.
Not all cars have air conditioners. Does this mean we can't use these vehicles to transport children during the summer? Are you saying a child might die if there is no air conditioner in the car while stuck in traffic? Oh my...back in the old days, every parent must of been wrong.
William Wright

Hanover, PA

#39 Jul 3, 2010
geeze wrote:
HOLY CRAP, I nver left my kids in the car on a hot day and I know I never forgot them! Howeve I know some ppl don't have that little click in their head that say's BABY FIRST... and those ppl shouldn't have children. I understand it was an accident or "mistake" but com'on now. Do you forget to feed him too????
Another lacky that does everything right. A perfect parent knows best.
William Wright

Hanover, PA

#40 Jul 3, 2010
Common sense wrote:
OMG!!!****!!! There is absolutely NO excuse for this!!! How do you not know there is a baby in your car???? is this guy a complete moron??
That poor baby, I can't even imagine the suffering as hot as it's been.
Poor baby.
Russ

Englewood, FL

#41 Jul 5, 2010
I am a grandfather who read about another grandfather who left his grandchild in his car because he forgot he had the child with him. The child died and the prosecutor tried to charge him with homicide. This was a tragic accident and this poor man has to live the rest of his life in pain every day just as this mother does. I am tired of these small children and babies dying from this horrible and preventable cause of death so for the last few years I have made it my life's work to develop a device that will completely eliminate any child being left in a car or locking themselves in a vehicle. We hope to have it on the market within the next two weeks because July is the deadliest month of the year. We will also be contributing a portion of the profits for educating parents and caregivers how to prevent this senseless loss of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seven Valleys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police talk about ways to deter home burglaries Feb '15 Just a thought 4
News York County Libraries helping kids build, sing ... Jan '15 lady 9
News York County veterans help other vets through ho... Jan '15 lady 4
Estate Sale (Mar '06) Sep '14 Cindy 3
News Quarter auctions' illegality takes people by su... (Dec '10) Aug '14 Keeping busy 10
News York County man headed to prison for role in ma... (Jul '14) Jul '14 lady 1
News Free Fourth of July fireworks shows (Jun '09) Jul '14 need to know 23
More from around the web

Seven Valleys People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]