Baby left in hot car

Baby left in hot car

There are 37 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 30, 2010, titled Baby left in hot car. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Richard Wiegard kissed his grandson goodbye and thanked God he was his playful, happy self.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
avid gardener

Hanover, PA

#1 Jun 30, 2010
"We are all human. It could happen to anyone."
uh, NO! It could NOT happen to "anyone"!!! Being a parent is being responsible for your child! Oh, wait, being a "human" is being responsible for your surroundings.
I cannot stand to hear "oops, I forgot @ the baby" or "I thought someone else was watching the baby"...which, in turn I say, WHO>????????
I am going to sound "old" but I truly feel sorry for some of these children I see w/the parents they have ... To cal them 'mom' & 'dad' is truly sad!
Hanover

Littlestown, PA

#2 Jun 30, 2010
I understand that people forget sometimes... personally, I couldn't imagine forgetting my son (he is always on my mind)... but in this case, it seemed like it was intentional because he was running inside to get some papers. It's true we ALL make STUPID mistakes, thank God for the neighbor calling the police. I would have done the same thing. You never know how people will react when it comes to their children. So I would have called the police like the neighbor did. Anyway, glad the baby is safe and alright!!!!
Resident

Mount Holly Springs, PA

#3 Jun 30, 2010
Quit being so darn critical. The first thing everyone does on here is slam the person (people) in the article and deem them all to hell. Have you never made a mistake in your life?!

I truly get the vibe that this was an honest mistake. A very poor choice on the father and sounds like the whole family learned a harsh, valuable lesson the hard way. Thankfully not the ultimate price. I believe things happen for a reason and perhaps this was a wake up call for everyone involved (and us readers) that we must be aware at all times with our children.

I've raised 2 kids to adults and I feel proud that I did without serious incidents, but Lord knows I made my share of mistakes and had a few close calls. I was driving down the road one day when I looked in the rear view mirror and realized that my 2 year old son was sitting in his car seat w/o the pull down thing latched over him. I nearly wrecked from the shock of it. Absolutely stupid mistake on my part and could've killed him if we had an accident, but everyone was okay and it made me realize I had to be very aware of everything I did so I didn't make a mistake like that again. These things sometimes happen to wake us up. Did I deserve to be called every name in the book? I don't think so but everyone here apparently would.

Give the poor guy a break. He obviously had a lot on his mind and meant absolutely no harm, and no harm was done. I'm thankful the police realized that and didn't charge him. That alone should be enough to make you realize it was just a stupid mistake.

Now go live your perfect little lives, or the next article so you can put down someone else.
huh

Baltimore, MD

#4 Jun 30, 2010
You get the "vibe" that this was an honest mistake? I don't know man....how do you just forget and leave your child in the heat like that. Mistakes are one thing, negligence is another. I've made plenty of mistakes in my life but leaving my child in the car, especially in the eat like we've been having, has never been one of them.
Common sense

Gettysburg, PA

#5 Jun 30, 2010
OMG!!! WTF!!! There is absolutely NO excuse for this!!! How do you not know there is a baby in your car???? is this guy a complete moron??
That poor baby, I can't even imagine the suffering as hot as it's been.
Freedom Rider

Baltimore, MD

#6 Jun 30, 2010
Resident wrote:
Quit being so darn critical. The first thing everyone does on here is slam the person (people) in the article and deem them all to hell. Have you never made a mistake in your life?!
I truly get the vibe that this was an honest mistake. A very poor choice on the father and sounds like the whole family learned a harsh, valuable lesson the hard way. Thankfully not the ultimate price. I believe things happen for a reason and perhaps this was a wake up call for everyone involved (and us readers) that we must be aware at all times with our children.
I've raised 2 kids to adults and I feel proud that I did without serious incidents, but Lord knows I made my share of mistakes and had a few close calls. I was driving down the road one day when I looked in the rear view mirror and realized that my 2 year old son was sitting in his car seat w/o the pull down thing latched over him. I nearly wrecked from the shock of it. Absolutely stupid mistake on my part and could've killed him if we had an accident, but everyone was okay and it made me realize I had to be very aware of everything I did so I didn't make a mistake like that again. These things sometimes happen to wake us up. Did I deserve to be called every name in the book? I don't think so but everyone here apparently would.
Give the poor guy a break. He obviously had a lot on his mind and meant absolutely no harm, and no harm was done. I'm thankful the police realized that and didn't charge him. That alone should be enough to make you realize it was just a stupid mistake.
Now go live your perfect little lives, or the next article so you can put down someone else.
What the f*** how can you defend an idiot that leaves a child or animal in a hot car. Yes we all make mistakes but good lord you forget your child that is stupidy. And you are stupid for defending them.
Common sense

Gettysburg, PA

#7 Jun 30, 2010
hey Resident!! I don't know what the heck you are talking about, THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR THIS, PERIOD! The odds of dying in a hot car are far greater than dying from the car seat not being pulled down, give me a break! yes, no harm was done because a neighbor called the police, which is why the baby is ok! NEVER LEAVE A BABY IN THE CAR, HOT OR COLD!!
huh

Baltimore, MD

#8 Jun 30, 2010
"Now go live your perfect little lives, or the next article so you can put down someone else."

Perhaps you should take your own advice, seeing how you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing. I suppose you're above commenting on the newspaper comment board because you yourself are so perfect....oh wait...
Freedom Rider

Baltimore, MD

#9 Jun 30, 2010
huh wrote:
"Now go live your perfect little lives, or the next article so you can put down someone else."
Perhaps you should take your own advice, seeing how you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing. I suppose you're above commenting on the newspaper comment board because you yourself are so perfect....oh wait...
I said I have made mistakes but I have NEVER put another persons life at risk especialy my children. So take your liberal slant to Maryland. They are more sympathetic to your kind who have a live let live society. But in Adams County we care about human life.
huh

Baltimore, MD

#11 Jun 30, 2010
Take my liberal slant to Maryland? I live in Gettysburg. Your thing says you're in Baltimore as well. I clearly care about human life being that I was more concerned with the child and not the adult who made the mistake endangering that human life you care so much about.

my my, aren't we quick to be so defensice.
huh

Baltimore, MD

#12 Jun 30, 2010
sorry. defensive...hand slipped!
huh

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jun 30, 2010
p.s. Freedom Rider...my post was in response to Resident, not you. I feel like you and I are on the same page.
libby

Melbourne, FL

#14 Jun 30, 2010
huh wrote:
You get the "vibe" that this was an honest mistake? I don't know man....how do you just forget and leave your child in the heat like that. Mistakes are one thing, negligence is another. I've made plenty of mistakes in my life but leaving my child in the car, especially in the eat like we've been having, has never been one of them.
apparently he "knew" the child was in the car, he left the window down. how nice of him.at the time my youngest was born, i was 23,4 kids, 5,4,2, and baby. i was VERY inexperienced,no help from their 'dad', none from either set of grandparents,(and i mean NONE) cars did not have AC as standard equipment, and i never once forgot to get any of my kids out of the car. start with babies first, have older kids carry items. its call parental instinct. something that unfortunately not all 'parents' have or use. and no matter what the situation always remember, don't ever do to anyone what you do NOT want anyone to do to you.
this has worked for me for my whole 70 years.
Freedom Rider

Gwynn Oak, MD

#15 Jun 30, 2010
huh wrote:
p.s. Freedom Rider...my post was in response to Resident, not you. I feel like you and I are on the same page.
Yes I live in Gettyburg as well just says Baltimore on the side. Resident is in outerspace somewhere I guess where you can leave your kids in a hot car.
libby

Melbourne, FL

#16 Jun 30, 2010
huh wrote:
this is called a comment page. people that read of a defenseless child (or pet) being left alone in a vehicle anytime (hot or cold) get riled up and need to vent. complaining on here will not fix someone's stupid, but it does make us feel a tad better.
God gave us all parents to take us to adulthood and to put our immediate needs ahead of theirs for 16 years or so. plain and simple,parents bring about your birth and it is their JOB to take care of us. and when we are parents to do the same.
the world needs caretakers for those that cannot speak for or do it for themselves.
all you alert people KEEP ON LOOKING FOR INNOCENT KIDS AND ANIMALS IN VEHICLES. and yes i capitalized if you trolls want to call it screaming!
Andy Cooper

Kinston, NC

#17 Jun 30, 2010
I don't think we should judge the father...it was not a circumstance where the child was left in the car so the parents could go drinking, gambling, shopping, etc. As a father of an infant, I know how easy it is to get confused or forgetful after a few nights of sleep deprivation. We have no idea what kind of mental situation the father was in with a wife in the hospital, etc. We should all be thankful that the child is now safe.
resident of west manheim

Pikesville, MD

#18 Jun 30, 2010
my goodness,, everyone seems just a little testy this morning.... all this bickering amongst ourselves...why cant we all just get along? Think of how life would be!!!!!!
Concerned Person

Bowie, MD

#19 Jun 30, 2010
As a medical professional I have seen children not make it when they are left in a hot car. Please -- take your children out of the car. And, don't think that someone is watching them. The neighbor did the right thing about calling the police.
Rick

Baltimore, MD

#20 Jun 30, 2010
What is it with the "neighbor", who called 911? Seems the smart thing to do would be to go to the door of the house where the baby was in the car and speak to them, which would also get the quickest response AND saved the police from responding.
China House

Gwynn Oak, MD

#21 Jun 30, 2010
Passionate kiss like spider's web, soon lead to undoing of fly.
Virginity like bubble, one prick all gone.
Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day.
Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
Man who eat many prunes get good run for money.
Panties not best thing on earth but next to best thing on earth.
War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left.
Wife who put husband in doghouse soon find him in cathouse.
It take many nails to build crib but one screw to fill it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seven Valleys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hanover BBQ joint set to open second location Jul '17 Jeff ward 2
News Glen Rock councilman resigns Jul '17 Mwood199 1
News Red Lion family makes most of dog's last days Jun '17 Justellnthetruth 1
News Cider fest returns to Gettysburg May '17 He is sure gay 9
News Signs of prejudice (Aug '08) May '17 Dook29 100
News York victims of sexual assault struggle for peace (Apr '13) Mar '17 Struggleright 3
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop (Dec '16) Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 1

Seven Valleys Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seven Valleys Mortgages