Dodging Delaware's tolls? Don't forge...

Dodging Delaware's tolls? Don't forget the road atlas

There are 14 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 19, 2007, titled Dodging Delaware's tolls? Don't forget the road atlas. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

My readers have done it. They've uncovered my ignorance of traffic patterns around York, Pa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Tim

AOL

#1 Nov 19, 2007
Funny how there is no mention of how to avoid the Maryland toll on I-95 near exit 93. I guess the Baltimore Sun wants people to pay the toll in Maryland and avoid the tolls in Delaware.
Theo

Towson, MD

#2 Nov 19, 2007
This may not help those of you who live north of the City, but we usually avoid I-95 backup and tolls by taking US 301 over the Bay Bridge up to DE 299, 2 miles Middletown to Odessa, then DE 1 north (toll, but no backups to rejoin I-95/I-295 south of Wilmington).
We also take I-95 up the gut through Philly into Trenton (sometimes take the parallel US 1 freeway north of Philly), then stay on US 1 up to I-287 on up to the Tappan Zee bridge to bypass NY, on up to I-84/I90 across New England.
One Thanksgiving weekend, we took this route in reverse on the Sunday return, while the in-laws stayed on I-95 all the way, splitting at Hartford. It took us 7 hours from Hartford, while it took them 13 hours along I-95.
John

Centreville, VA

#3 Nov 20, 2007
Tim wrote:
Funny how there is no mention of how to avoid the Maryland toll on I-95 near exit 93. I guess the Baltimore Sun wants people to pay the toll in Maryland and avoid the tolls in Delaware.
Tim, do you think the Sun gets a kickback from tolls paid in MD? It didn't mention an alternative to that toll because there isn't a good one.

If you travel north frequently, you can get off at Havre de Grace and take the rt 40 bridge and buy a $5 sticker that's good for a year of crossing the river. But the state is completely overhauling that bridge for the next few years so the construction headache wouldn't equate to saving time in traffic.

The only other viable alternative is to head north from Havre de Grace and take backroads through Darlington to reach rt 1 and cross the Conowingo Dam. From there it's another 15 minutes through Port Deposit before returning to 95. It's toll-free and very scenic but your savings is eaten away by the extra time, miles, and gas required for this detour. Those backroads are not a speedway!
NC Driver

Plano, TX

#4 Nov 20, 2007
I read that the readers in this article are wasting gas just to save on tolls.

I don't know about you but gas these days is more expensive than the tolls are.
NC Driver

Plano, TX

#5 Nov 20, 2007
Umm Theo - In addition to the DE 1 toll, the Bay Bridge has eastbound tolls. This is the only way to use 301 into Delaware.
Kelly

Galesville, MD

#6 Nov 20, 2007
I shared this with my motorcycle list, many of whom have spent years figuring out ways to avoid tolls - which tend to charge motorcycles as much as cars, despite our lesser carbon footprint, lesser impact on wear-and-tear and need for maintenance, and lesser contribution to traffic. We are relieved to hear that the Delaware State Police will not ticket us for continuing our toll-avoiding ways.
Nick

Manassas, VA

#7 Nov 24, 2007
What exit on I-76 Pa.Eastbound would you take to Rt.61N(near Cabellas)? Exit name and number,please.
Bruce

Centreville, VA

#8 Nov 25, 2007
Going from Newaek NJ to Rockville MD, I go on Interstate 78 from New Jersey and connect with Highway 15 from Harrisburg, Pa to Maryland, instead of going on Interstate 95. It is 40 minutes faster with less tolls- but 45 miles further.
Gordon Ellicott City

Baltimore, MD

#9 Nov 26, 2007
Great diversion along scenic roads that takes no extra time. Coming south in New Jersey in the area where highway 287 joins highway 78. ..When going south on HW 287 take exit 30 to HW 202 to Bernardsville. Good places for gas and coffee and shortcut on picturesque country roads ..at Bedminster keep going straight and road become HW 523 Lamington Rd ..at Oldwick HW 503 turns left and then can enter HW 78 at exit 24.
Thought Police

Washington, DC

#10 Nov 26, 2007
"I would hasten to point out that deliberate toll evasion within this state, as in most other states, is illegal and subject to enforcement," he wrote.

When called, King attributed that statement to turnpike official P.J. Wilkins, who said he thought taking these toll plaza-avoidance routes could be a ticketable offense. He suggested a call to the Delaware State Police just to make sure. Cpl. Jeff Whitmarsh, a police spokesman, said motorists are free to choose toll bypass routes. "You're allowed to do that," he said.

So the thought police with their powers of omniscience are able to discern whether a road was taken for the purpose of "deliberate toll evasion". Big Brother lives!
blumagoo

Baltimore, MD

#11 Nov 29, 2007
Also- if you have the commuter sleazy pass for Baltimore area the Susquehanna river bridge on 95 is only .80, not $5.00.

And if you travel this corridor frequently as I do (to NJ) it isn't a big deal to dodge that 896 toll in DE thru Elkton.$4.00 each way is a rip off. You can make up for the alleged lost gas by gassing up in Jersey at more than .20/gallon less than MD, DE, and PA prices.
nell

United States

#12 Feb 9, 2008
I drove from Timon.Md. to Tom's River, N.J.-- and back.- I did not go on NJ tpke after I crossed DMB. but 295 to 70 E.$16.00 was deducted from Ez. pass acc't. Does any body know if that is right? Just last week I drove over bridge at havre de Grace and the Ez pass did not work but the camera read license plate and the tolltaker told me she did "something". I called Ez no.& that was verified __I was supposed to get statement showing acct-- but I didn't---My savy college grad kids talked me into this Ez. pass ---From now on I'm going to take their advice --(the same way they always took mine.)...
Mithrandir

Newark, NJ

#13 Nov 9, 2010
Charge is probably due to being close enough to NJ turnpike to have your transponder being registered by EZpass. Best EZpass is having no tolls.
nell wrote:
I drove from Timon.Md. to Tom's River, N.J.-- and back.- I did not go on NJ tpke after I crossed DMB. but 295 to 70 E.$16.00 was deducted from Ez. pass acc't. Does any body know if that is right? Just last week I drove over bridge at havre de Grace and the Ez pass did not work but the camera read license plate and the tolltaker told me she did "something". I called Ez no.& that was verified __I was supposed to get statement showing acct-- but I didn't---My savy college grad kids talked me into this Ez. pass ---From now on I'm going to take their advice --(the same way they always took mine.)...
lollipop

North Wales, PA

#14 Dec 12, 2016
Will someone please explain how to get off the Havre de grace exit of I-955 North and then how to get to route 1 going North

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seven Valleys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News York victims of sexual assault struggle for peace (Apr '13) Jan '17 Malachi Sawyer 2
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
News Lancaster County megachurch expands into York C... (Jul '10) Nov '16 Jeff 28
News Seven Valleys teen admits to arson (Sep '08) Apr '16 adam wilt 1 40
News Hostility flares at West York council meeting (Jan '12) Apr '16 Trish 9
News Two face off for magisterial district (Nov '11) Jan '16 Hal Jaleikakik 3
News Burn victim dies (Sep '06) Jan '16 Kayla Spagnola 4

Seven Valleys Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seven Valleys Mortgages