Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: CBS2 51,248

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Full Story
bad idea

Paducah, KY

#31 Dec 2, 2010
r_a_n_d_o_m wrote:
gay men are no more prone to aids then the average hetro couple that has anal sex. thats the price you pay when you have anal sex. if there were legal civil unions then gay couples could share medical insurance eliminating tax payer costs.
its all a timing issue. some of us are ready to move forward with life some arent
Not true. Gays are more prone. Look it up.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#32 Dec 2, 2010
-YUM- wrote:
<quoted text>HAHAHAHA Funny!
X2

I personally think you should be able to MARRY whoever you want. Not animals or such, but but definitely marry whoever you want. Geez some people need to learn to be more acceptive or otherwise you need to turn your face the other way and shut the hell up! Everyone deserves to have a family.

“Concerned in Tennessee”

Since: Dec 07

Knoxville, TN

#33 Dec 2, 2010
Enough wrote:
Never thought so in the past but think so now. The media is DEFINITELY liberal.
You are right. I really hate how liberal "the media" is. Especially the ring leader "FOX News," who have the most watched cable news show.

Grrr... Those liberals!
Jesus

Plymouth, MN

#34 Dec 2, 2010
crook county fix wrote:
<quoted text>go smell farts
Oooo, a closet gay.
Wow

Chicago, IL

#35 Dec 2, 2010
Have any of you that speak in opposition to the bill really done any research on it? First off - it's not a "same sex marriage" bill. It simply grants official state recognition to committed couples. This means ANY couple - same sex or opposite sex - in a committed relationship who are at least 18 years of age, not in an existing marriage or civil union, and are not related. It also grants religious organizations the right to define marriage for themselves.

Perhaps before spouting off in a public forum, it would be good to gain a bit of knowledge about the subject, hmmmm?
bad idea

Paducah, KY

#36 Dec 2, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
You were okay with just "life isn't fair" part. Everyone is born with an equal opportunity to become unequal.
However, then you went on, and ruined your stance on the issue by babbling nonsense.
1)Gays can't reproduce- while this is true, there are literally thousands of children that have been brought into the world by straight people that have been orphaned and/or abused. I, for one, would much rather have an innocent child brought up in a loving environment with two caring parents, than to leave the child in an unloving and uncaring environment where it is doomed to fail before being given an adequate chance at life.
2)Gays will cost society more money, due to an increased chance of AIDS- All right, the huge AIDS/HIV fear argument was very popular in the 90's, before people were required to have the in-depth sex education courses we have now. AIDS is spread when people engage in sexual acts with partners that either aren't informed of their partner having AIDS, which is illegal, and/or improper usage of the proper preventative measures. AIDS exists in society, sure, however, it is not exclusive to the gay community, nor should it be used as leverage against homosexuals. You make it sound as though being gay puts you at higher risk to be infected, which is untrue. Having sex with an HIV positive partner, puts you at a higher risk. Being gay does not handicap the judgment of an individual to engage in safe sex. If you're trying to use the anal sex argument, well, I'm afraid that as of 2010, more straight couples are engaging in anal activities than ever before, and, therefore, we're all at higher risk.
3) Children will be socially handicapped for having gay parents-
The reason that children are currently teased for having gay parents, is because straight parents and religious zealots tend to spout off at the mouth about how it is "wrong" or "immoral" for gays to be together. Most children don't have any concept of why being gay is wrong, they've simply been told that it's wrong, and go on believing that that must make it wrong. As gays become less discriminated against, the traditional outlook that being gay makes someone inferior will work its way out of society, and stop being an issue for children. If parents think it's wrong to be gay, that's fine, but don't plant a seed of hate in an innocent child when the only defense you have against gays is that they are different, and so you don't like them.
*Disclaimer: I am a young, straight, married male. This is purely my opinion.
Apparently you aren't religious, because if you were, you would know it is wrong and immoral by the teachings of the bible. Gays do have higher rates of aids diagnoses, don't believe me, google it, its everywhere. What's funny to me is how much you know on the stats of anal sex. You sure you're not gay? Your babbling opinions, are just that, opinions. The difference between your statements, and mine, while I respect your opinion, mine can be backed up with facts. But whatever, it won't affect me either way. I never once said I don't like gays either, so please don't put words in my mouth. I just don't agree with their lifestyle.
Just Saying

Monroeville, OH

#37 Dec 2, 2010
bad idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. Gays are more prone. Look it up.
Actually, the burden of proof on the issue lies on your side, as you are the one trying to convince us that your opinion is true.
bad idea

Paducah, KY

#38 Dec 2, 2010
sum1else wrote:
<quoted text>
X2
I personally think you should be able to MARRY whoever you want. Not animals or such, but but definitely marry whoever you want. Geez some people need to learn to be more acceptive or otherwise you need to turn your face the other way and shut the hell up! Everyone deserves to have a family.
How can you have a family without natural reproduction? I know your response will be to adopt, but how is that fair to adopt a child and put them in that lifestyle, without a choice? That's no more fair to the child than to have abusive parents, which they don't choose either. By the way, I have every right to state my opinion, just like gays have every right to get all tangled up with each other. Once again, it doesn't affect me personally, other than when it is blatantly flaunted in my face by people that are so openly gay its obnoxious. Maybe you need to learn to be more accepting, not acceptive like you say, of others opinions that differ from yours. Also, everyone does not deserve to have a family. Having a family is a blessing and privilege, not a right of passage like freedom of speech.
bad idea

Paducah, KY

#39 Dec 2, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the burden of proof on the issue lies on your side, as you are the one trying to convince us that your opinion is true.
Check this out...here's your proof. I have tons more if you like.

http://www.marysremnant.org/Friends/DBK/BKHom... .

The only place where heterosexual aids rates are higher are in Africa. Read the third paragraph all detractors, especially where it states "However, AIDS is by far most common among the homosexual population in the United States, primarily because the type and frequency of sexual contact, combined with STDs, is the perfect method of spreading a body-fluid borne virus." These aren't my words, they are the words from the research done by Brian J. Kopp. Point proved. Would you like more?

Here's more from the same article: "To the present time, 75 to 85 percent of AIDS cases reported are related to homosexual activity, promiscuous heterosexual sex and IV drug abuse. AIDS stubbornly refuses to spread into the population in general, even 20 years after its discovery, despite dire warnings to the contrary.

These diseases are acquired directly through the sexual behavior homosexual activists are asking Americans to legally endorse and protect. Yet, as professor Jerome Lejeune of Descartes University, Paris, says of AIDS: "Only God can truly pardon the one who violates His laws; man pardons at times; Nature never pardons at all: She is not a person." The brutal consequences of attempting to break the natural law are not bigoted or hateful, nor are those, like Dr. Laura, Cal Thomas or Gary Morella, who try to point out the dangers and simple truths.

We are seeing the natural consequences of violating nature's laws now. They are also a warning to prevent the ultimate eternal consequences. How many will ignore that warning and continue to call the messenger a bigot and continue to shake their fist at God? How many will heed that warning of a loving Father, ready to forgive and reconcile His prodigal children? "

“The man they call Vyv.”

Since: Nov 10

Antioch, IL

#40 Dec 2, 2010
bad idea wrote:
I just don't agree with their lifestyle.
Calling it a "lifestyle" tells me that you believe being gay is a choice. So, tonight, you could choose to have sex with someone of the same gender and choose to enjoy it?

“The man they call Vyv.”

Since: Nov 10

Antioch, IL

#42 Dec 2, 2010
bad idea wrote:
How can you have a family without natural reproduction? I know your response will be to adopt, but how is that fair to adopt a child and put them in that lifestyle, without a choice? That's no more fair to the child than to have abusive parents, which they don't choose either.
And they don't have a choice being born into a religiously fundamentalist family that instead of teaching their children to love all of God's children that they should hate the one's that disagree with their philosophy.

Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that ye not be judged." The most overlooked advice in the Bible, making you and other fundamentalists [Matthew 7:5] "Thou hypocrite..."
Just Saying

Monroeville, OH

#43 Dec 2, 2010
bad idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you aren't religious, because if you were, you would know it is wrong and immoral by the teachings of the bible. Gays do have higher rates of aids diagnoses, don't believe me, google it, its everywhere. What's funny to me is how much you know on the stats of anal sex. You sure you're not gay? Your babbling opinions, are just that, opinions. The difference between your statements, and mine, while I respect your opinion, mine can be backed up with facts. But whatever, it won't affect me either way. I never once said I don't like gays either, so please don't put words in my mouth. I just don't agree with their lifestyle.
1) Being religious and disliking the gays don't go hand in hand.

2) Engaging/discussing/being knowledgeable on the topic of anal sex, does not make someone gay

3) The religious terms "moral" and "immoral" as found in the Bible do not carry the same weight as the terms do in our modern English language. It is a fallacious argument to base your opinions on Biblical teachings. Nothing against what the Bible teaches on morality, but in our society, "the Bible tells me so" doesn't cut it as a reason to behave in a particular manner.

4)The only information I've found on AIDS/HIV in my extensive research over the past few years on the topic is that behavioral risks (having unprotected sex, etc.) put someone at a much higher risk than someones sexual orientation.

5) The gay "lifestyle" you speak of is actually incredibly biased due to negative stereotypes that have been perpetuated through negative sources and/or experiences with gays. You'd probably hate straight people just as much if you considered how many of them go out and drink, party, engage in all kinds of various sex acts with different partners, etc. You'd probably hate church if you took into account how many people that attend are complete hypocrites. I could go on, but, honestly, it's easy to hate anything if you want to focus on the negative sides of whatever you're looking at.
Just Saying

Monroeville, OH

#44 Dec 2, 2010
bad idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Check this out...here's your proof. I have tons more if you like.

http://www.marysremnant.org/Friends/DBK/BKHom... .
Please provide tons more, because linking an article from a Catholic website that is 10 years old and based on research from decades before that doesn't constitute a reasonable source at this point in time.
bad idea

Paducah, KY

#45 Dec 2, 2010
VyvB wrote:
<quoted text>
Calling it a "lifestyle" tells me that you believe being gay is a choice. So, tonight, you could choose to have sex with someone of the same gender and choose to enjoy it?
Here is the definition of lifestyle...life style: a manner of living that reflects the person's values and attitudes
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn . Values and attitudes. Definition of values....beliefs of a person or social group in which they have an emotional investment (either for or against something); "he has very conservatives values"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Therefore, to answer your question, I, personally, believe it is a choice. I have known people that were hetero for the first 25 years of their life then all of a sudden they were blatantly gay. Isn't that a choice. Yes. Just like they chose to be hetero for the first 25 years of their life. Just my opinion. Be more open, don't hate people just because they have a different opinion than you. I don't hate you because you disagree with me.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#46 Dec 2, 2010
Figures, gay priest in the church and now unions.

Great, sounds like gay and bisexual mobsters are having a coming out party.
People are morons

Elk Grove Village, IL

#47 Dec 2, 2010
VyvB wrote:
<quoted text>
When did you choose to be straight?
Mr Fizz

Edwardsville, IL

#48 Dec 2, 2010
It's about time. Half who preach against gays have gay sex secretly and don't get tested. Be happy some want a real relationship. Quit taking gay folks' tax money if you don't like them. They say it takes at least three people to support a family now tax-wise. If it weren't for gays, many of you couldn't keep cranking out kids and living as well as you do, politicians stealing aside. You couldn't do it on your own. Couldn't...
bad idea

Paducah, KY

#49 Dec 2, 2010
VyvB wrote:
<quoted text>
And they don't have a choice being born into a religiously fundamentalist family that instead of teaching their children to love all of God's children that they should hate the one's that disagree with their philosophy.
Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that ye not be judged." The most overlooked advice in the Bible, making you and other fundamentalists [Matthew 7:5] "Thou hypocrite..."
Not true oh biblical scholar. Judgement day will be when I die, and I am prepared for my Father's judgement. Once again, the people that are disagreeing with my stance are the one's preaching hatred for non-acceptance. I don't hate anyone or anything, but there are a few things I disagree with, like this particular issue. I do like how people want to quote the bible when it can be used to their advantage, or so they think.
Braidwood Mom

Palatine, IL

#50 Dec 2, 2010
I think that it is great!!! Why shouldn't everyone have the benefits of their partner? People are people no matter if they're gay or straight!!!
bad idea

Paducah, KY

#51 Dec 2, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Being religious and disliking the gays don't go hand in hand.
2) Engaging/discussing/being knowledgeable on the topic of anal sex, does not make someone gay
3) The religious terms "moral" and "immoral" as found in the Bible do not carry the same weight as the terms do in our modern English language. It is a fallacious argument to base your opinions on Biblical teachings. Nothing against what the Bible teaches on morality, but in our society, "the Bible tells me so" doesn't cut it as a reason to behave in a particular manner.
4)The only information I've found on AIDS/HIV in my extensive research over the past few years on the topic is that behavioral risks (having unprotected sex, etc.) put someone at a much higher risk than someones sexual orientation.
5) The gay "lifestyle" you speak of is actually incredibly biased due to negative stereotypes that have been perpetuated through negative sources and/or experiences with gays. You'd probably hate straight people just as much if you considered how many of them go out and drink, party, engage in all kinds of various sex acts with different partners, etc. You'd probably hate church if you took into account how many people that attend are complete hypocrites. I could go on, but, honestly, it's easy to hate anything if you want to focus on the negative sides of whatever you're looking at.
Hey dip$h^t, I never said, nor do I, hate anyone or anything. I just said I don't agree with that lifestyle, for the fifth time! Your lack of reading and jumping to conclusions is making me want to hate you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sesser Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robert Withrow (Mar '12) 6 min Farewell 40
Lacey Jean 2 hr lol 3
Miki runs this site 5 hr Losers 13
Caitlin Boswell 8 hr Sentinel 2
What happen to Nick from Nicks BBQ? 8 hr Yup 2
j jordan love Hewitt 17 hr asap 1
wht can people tell me bout brandon snider? goo... 18 hr Just wandering 2
Sesser Dating
Find my Match

Sesser People Search