Ewing Grade school???
EGS parent

Marion, IL

#142 Jan 8, 2013
take a look wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the "suntimes teachers database" the salaries are comparable BUT-it also says not all teachers at Akin have Masters, most have Bachelors Degrees. ALL teachers at Ewing have masters degrees. Maybe this is the reason their students rank high in the state.
All those teachers that have master's degrees, get them because the school pays for them. Just as soon as a teacher is hired it is encouraged to get that master's. We as tax payers pay for that. I think they should pay for their own and leave that money for our students. No one paid for my college degree or student loans.
MY OPINION

Florence, AL

#143 Jan 8, 2013
I think it has turned into a peeing contest now. It is totally ridiculous to do this over money. I keep hearing it's not about the money but that is all I see on any of the information I am reading. If the teachers aren't happy then let them find other jobs at larger schools, with 30 plus kids per class, a larger amount of paper work to grade, and drive further to work than most of them do now. I am sure we can find other well-educated teachers who would gladly teach at our school. Most of the teachers have never taught anywhere else. Believe me the grass isn't always greener on the other side, sometimes you just have to water your own grass Ladies.
EGS parent

Marion, IL

#144 Jan 8, 2013
Money wrote:
Go to fb Ewing Teachers page. It's all about money and how Ewings test scores are the highest in the COUNTY, they deserve a raise. THAT's THEIR JOB! No one is asking them to continue their educations, they are making that decision on their own. No one guaranteed they would make more money at Ewing by continueing their educations. All the PBIS parties should be stopped anyway. I am tired of my children thinking they should be given a party for being good. No, kids should be good because it's the right thing to do. Get rid of all the sodas and cheap toys they reward the kids with. It's ridiculous! Yes the Board is having to spend money on attorneys because they don't have a UNION to fight for us. If the teachers would accept the raise that has been offered this would be over. I don't want to see the school closed in 4 years due to mismanagement of funds. I don't want to see picket lines at the school anymore either. It's ridiculous. Not everyone is getting a raise because our government has mismanaged our taxes so let's not do the same to the school.
What people to te be educated on, is that they did get a raise last year. Also, because the board felt they weren't the only ones that deserved that raise, the other members of this school got one too. The board knew that it was the only fair and right thing to do becuase of the progected budget cuts coming from the state. For those of you that think the teachers volenteer their time to that school, WRONG, they get paid for their after school help and concerts. ENSO only has the support of a few teachers that help out and we all know who they are.
EGS parent

Marion, IL

#145 Jan 8, 2013
For those of you that are so down on the subs and think they will not be able to educate your children, guess what, these teachers were once subs too and had to get a start somewhere. What happens when one of these teachers is pregnant? We get a sub to fill in. What about all these meetings they have to attend because of mandated 120 develpopmental workshops, that the state has placed on them? WE GET SUBS! So get off the backs of the people who would love to have a job!!!
EGS parent

Marion, IL

#146 Jan 8, 2013
I wish people would educate themselves by going to the ROE#21 website and look up their salaries. Then compare them to Akin. Then realize that the tax base in Benton is a lot more than our rual schools. Tell me if the top three salaries on that sheet don't shock you. Those three jobs would balance our budget!!!!
EGS parent

Marion, IL

#147 Jan 8, 2013
Let Them Strike wrote:
Since it is apparently over $12,000 the board can give the teachers their raise as they wish and the teachers in turn can contribute 4.65-5% of their annual salary towards their pension (like almost every other school district in US).
I am glad you mentioned that. Did everyone know that Ewing is the only school that pays 100% teachers retirement. YES 100%. Are you kidding me. Call your local schools and ask what they contribute to their teachers.
EGS Parent

United States

#148 Jan 8, 2013
Is everyone also forgetting that the teachers only work 181 days out of the year and getting paid but they're getting paid
yea right

Harrisburg, IL

#149 Jan 8, 2013
you need to get a damn job and get off topix 24/7
Hmmm

Harrisburg, IL

#150 Jan 8, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text> Those amounts I am sure have went up. Those salaries were from 09-10, Nipper has retired, several on there are no longer there, but I do agree they make more than a lot of people do, including some with degrees.
Actually, I looked at 2011. I know they have went up some because I also compared 2010 to 2011 & saw the increase. I also know there are several that have retired, I was just making an observation lol.
Hmmm

Harrisburg, IL

#151 Jan 8, 2013
yea right wrote:
How do you know that we don't work?? You're on here, what's your excuse? Hmm?
Concerned Parent

Saint Louis, MO

#152 Jan 8, 2013
Love the school and love most of the teachers. There aren't many better at any school. The success of ISAT, etc. is the result of the hard work of the teachers AND administrators, board members, administration, parents, grandparents - the whole community! This request for cash is being led by one or two teachers with a personal axe to grind - and that alone. Also, look into the teaching career of the union rep and you will find a man who is married to a person he taught and coached. Timing, who knows, but it raises questions. More money to go along with a bevy of sick/personal days is simply greed. I hope this doesn't do any more damage to the school and community than it already has. And, I have not heard one thing from the teachers about how the KIDS will be helped or their education improved by their demands. Shameful!!
curious

Vinita, OK

#153 Jan 8, 2013
so who are the one or two teachers that are behind this? Because I was starting to have a real lack of respect for most if not all because of this.
Breathe

Du Quoin, IL

#154 Jan 8, 2013
This is a difficult situation for all involved. Bad mouthing on TOPIX is not going to solve anything.

Everyone......take a deep breath. Ready: 1, 2, 3. Breathe in----------breathe out. There you go. You can do it. Insert HUGE wink/smiley here.
hmmm

Marion, IL

#155 Jan 8, 2013
Assume these teachers work from 8am-3pm M-F. They are provided a mandatory 30 minute meal break as required by labor laws. So that makes for a 7.5 hour work day. Of course actual instruction time is much less. Last I recall teachers had a 30 minute prep period per day, if not longer. Add in time for recess, bathroom breaks, and what not and you are looking at roughly 6 hours per day of productivity. But anyway, I'm giving them credit for 7.5 hours a day. So, 7.5 hours * 180 days per year = 1350 hours per year. And that is a stretch after you allow for sick days, vacation days, school closures, etc.

When you take the 2011 salaries as reported on Champion and divide them by 1,350 hours (except 2,080 for the administrative position) you'll come up with an average hourly rate of $40.99. Of course the average 15 years of experience merits something but this isn't bad for a county that has a mobile home tax base, double digit unemployment, and lack of industry. I think substitute pay averages around $75/day at best? Wow, it wouldn' take long for the savings to really add up.

I don't think the teachers should be complaining.
freebird

Humboldt, KS

#156 Jan 9, 2013
why is nipper still getting paid?
parent watch

Marion, IL

#157 Jan 9, 2013
yea right wrote:
OOOhhh! sounds like all this truth has hit a cord with you teacher, or spouse. I have a job and am very thankful.
Parent

United States

#158 Jan 9, 2013
freebird wrote:
why is nipper still getting paid?
Mrs. Nipper is not still getting paid. The website that most are talking about that shows salaries is from 2010/2011, her last year at Ewing.
west frankfort

United States

#159 Jan 9, 2013
I think the school can afford the raise now, but if they do the school will be broke in two years! WHATS MORE IMPORTANT?? I think the older teachers are pushing for this to increase there pensions, with no regard for the future of the the school, cause there leaving! But dont worry sub,s are on stand by to keep our school going! Let them strike, see how it works for them!
Curious

United States

#160 Jan 9, 2013
I have heard that a Ewing teacher and parent is offering to other parents that she would be willing to keep their children at her house if they didn't want to send them to school in case if a strike. She was doing this at ANOTHER school during a basketball game. To me, this is absolutely ridiculous and makes me think even less of this teacher. I know teachers with children at Ewing won't be sending them, and they will be getting unexcused absences and truancy officers will be called if necessary is what I was told when I asked. Why encourage parents to do this? Just wondering what others think of this?
parent watch

United States

#161 Jan 9, 2013
Curious wrote:
I have heard that a Ewing teacher and parent is offering to other parents that she would be willing to keep their children at her house if they didn't want to send them to school in case if a strike. She was doing this at ANOTHER school during a basketball game. To me, this is absolutely ridiculous and makes me think even less of this teacher. I know teachers with children at Ewing won't be sending them, and they will be getting unexcused absences and truancy officers will be called if necessary is what I was told when I asked. Why encourage parents to do this? Just wondering what others think of this?
I heard the same conversation and my comment is she had better be on the picket line with her union, not being a babysitter. Her obligation is to the union right now. She chose to strike she better be out there or the truancy officer will be a knocking on her door.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sesser Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dave gayton 2 hr Guy needs help 1
Iron Horse break-ins 2 hr Supervise these kids 4
matthew (Apr '15) Fri Cris 10
Sesser-Valier school Fri Concerned parent 1
Blonde cop Dec 9 Jimmy89 2
cheating wives (Jun '16) Nov 30 Hofosho 6
chase girten (Dec '13) Nov 30 Non-hating 24

Sesser Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance