Ewing Grade school???
But

United States

#42 Jan 4, 2013
LOL! At UNEDUCATED COMMENT is this what you do while your educating our children!! On my taxpayers dollar. Sit on topix. LOL!!

“Common sense isn't common”

Since: Dec 12

Sesser IL

#43 Jan 4, 2013
School Bored wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction, Royalton kids will have to drive/ride 40 miles round trip to attend school. Ridiculous.
And again, who said they have to drive at all? Any school child who lives more than one mile from their attendance center is entitled to ride the bus, under Illinois law. I know this for a fact, having served multiple terms on a school board which shall remain nameless.
DUHHHH

Morocco, IN

#44 Jan 4, 2013
LOL At Uneducated Comment: if you are a teacher you need to learn how to spell, use correct puctuation, capitalize at the beginning of a sentence and write in full sentences. You are bragging about teaching our kids how to tie their shoes, blow their noses, etc. REALLY!!
another parent

Villa Park, IL

#45 Jan 4, 2013
"But"......you and I share the same brain. Everything you've said is exactly what I think, too.

So is LOL suggesting (besides that the majority of us have uneducated opinions) that the board is hoarding money so as to purposely not pay more to the teachers?

If there's all this extra money, what is going to be done with it? Has anyone ever heard of saving for a rainy day? With this ridiculous State of IL we live in, it might be a good idea to keep some money stashed away. You know, since the State is broke. When things are more certain, THEN consider giving raises.

This idea that people "deserve" raises is absurd. I agree, if we are living comfortably, we do not "deserve" to complain about our salaries.

“Common sense isn't common”

Since: Dec 12

Sesser IL

#46 Jan 5, 2013
another parent wrote:
"But"......you and I share the same brain. Everything you've said is exactly what I think, too.
So is LOL suggesting (besides that the majority of us have uneducated opinions) that the board is hoarding money so as to purposely not pay more to the teachers?
If there's all this extra money, what is going to be done with it? Has anyone ever heard of saving for a rainy day? With this ridiculous State of IL we live in, it might be a good idea to keep some money stashed away. You know, since the State is broke. When things are more certain, THEN consider giving raises.
This idea that people "deserve" raises is absurd. I agree, if we are living comfortably, we do not "deserve" to complain about our salaries.
Many teacher's unions have the idea that working-cash or other savings/rainy-day type funds are simply 'extra money' that the elected school board somehow perversely delights in withholding from the teachers' paychecks. I've been a member of a district board's negotiating team several times, and this issue ALWAYS arises during negotiations-- always.

I believe in paying people a decent, living wage and also believe that people deserve decent working conditions and hours; anyone who ever worked for me in my 50-plus years in business will attest to that fact. I believe that teachers deserve nothing less, especially given the fact that they are well-educated professionals entrusted with educating our dearest, most precious resource-- our children.

I read the Ewing School District's annual statement in the 'Benton Evening News' a few weeks ago, and I don't see the district sitting on some huge pile of cash that they are taking perverse delight in withholding from the district's teachers. The district's board has made what seems to me to be a fair and reasonable offer to the teachers, and I can't understand why any rational 'education association'( union ) would NOT encourage its members to accept the offer.

In closing, a word to both sides from an old goat who's' been there and done that': the public needs to RESPECT the teachers, because they perform an extremely important job for the community and DESERVE that respect; the teachers need to do more than pay lip service to saying they understand the district's financial situation, and understand that the elected school boards FIRST DUTY is to district's children, followed immediately by its duty to the taxpayers.
Reading Comprehension

Morocco, IN

#47 Jan 5, 2013
LOL at uneducated comment wrote:
oh one more the "silver jeans" comment how do you know who bought the jeans maybe they were a gift or bought at a goodwill or given to a child from a thoughtful neighbor or maybe the parent is a great bargain shopper. you jealous people are pathetic.
I am not, or will not, speak about children or what they wear. I purchase the best I can for my child, yes that includes name brand clothing. What I was referring to is the teachers. It is hard to think that any of the teachers are living paycheck to paycheck when they can afford to dress the way they do. I totally think the teachers deserve to dress in nice, name brand clothes but this also shows your financial status. Most people cannot afford to dress day in and day out in the brands I see the teachers wear at Ewing. If they truly NEED the raise to MAKE IT then I would understand but it they were TRULY STRUGGLING then I would see the teachers dressing accordingly. I don't see any of the teacher aides or bus drivers running around like its a fashion show everyday. I was not speaking about anything that the children wear to school.
true

United States

#48 Jan 5, 2013
i attended ewing as a child and sent both of my children there now i have grandchild attending there..it use to be a great school.not anymore!!the teachers are all snobs and no they do not take extra time with kids after school if they need help..they are out the door as fast as they can..seen it myself!!yes there is a after school tutoring program but its a different teacher and they get extra pay for staying after school..so do they stay becuz they care about the kids education or money??thats right its for the money..ewing has went downhill ever since nipper became principle and will keep going down as long as they keep hiring the same kind of teachers..the only reason they have good test scores is because of the smaller classrooms not the teachers.
really

Little Rock, AR

#49 Jan 5, 2013
Nipper is no longer at ewing. She really cared for the students at ewing. She was one of the last old good teachers that gave ewing a good name. These teachers are wanting paid like they are still this great school! All the teachers that really deserved what they are wanting, that gave ewing such a good name are no longer at the school. Nipper even came out and greated kids every morning and was involved with them. In the last two years I have never seen the new principal do this. She also must have been doing something right with the buget of the school when she left she left ewing sitting very well off. These teachers are being gready and are gonna end up where ewing will just be another vacant school building. Times are hard, I hope everyone realizes this.The money the school has does need to be saved for a rainy day.
JohnDoe

Du Quoin, IL

#50 Jan 5, 2013
another parent wrote:
Everyone always wants to make more money, but if the money isn't there....the money isn't there, period. Wonder how the majority of teachers there think about this?
Ewing has to have some extra money since a teacher retired last year and the music teacher left also
another parent

Carthage, MO

#51 Jan 5, 2013
JohnDoe wrote:
<quoted text>
Ewing has to have some extra money since a teacher retired last year and the music teacher left also
They hired another music teacher.

My child who goes to Ewing is really concerned about what will happen if this strike takes place. I think all this talk of strike is starting to worry the kids. I really hope for everyone's sake it does not happen!!
do what is rite

Little Rock, AR

#52 Jan 5, 2013
I hope everyone realizes these board members i believe for the most part have children who go to the school. Sometimes that is a advantage to the teachers to get what they want. I hope they remain strong for the schools well being, and for our community as a whole. I would like to see the 3rd and possibly 4th generation of my family be able to continue.
WHY

Johnston City, IL

#53 Jan 5, 2013
Why ca't they settle this during the summer months? I mean, why wait until 1/2 a school year is done and then worry about it?
rob

Garnett, KS

#54 Jan 5, 2013
WHY wrote:
Why ca't they settle this during the summer months? I mean, why wait until 1/2 a school year is done and then worry about it?
Its called leverage,,they use the threat off these children missing out on the final year of sports and all the other things these kids have worked for for their gain.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#55 Jan 5, 2013
WHY wrote:
Some of it has to do with when the contract ends, and how long negotiations go on for, mediation, arbitration... It's a big game of cat and mouse, if it happenend during the summer month's the school would have the leverage, during the school year the teachers have the leverage...
Seriously

Harrisburg, IL

#56 Jan 5, 2013
Why does it matter what people wear?? I know people (myself included) that shop at the goodwill to save money & are able to buy nice sometimes brand name clothes for cheap. So your point is?
Options

Johnston City, IL

#57 Jan 5, 2013
Why not hire enough substitute teachers to keep the kids in school? That would take away some of the leverage.
good point

United States

#58 Jan 5, 2013
TRFisk wrote:
This county needs three school districts, period: SVZR, WF/T'ville and Benton/Everyone Else. They should all three be 'unit districts', too. It's time Franklin County joined the late 20th Century.
i have always said that. These kids are not getting a 20thgoing century education because they are stuck in podunk with podunk equipment.
another parent

Carthage, MO

#59 Jan 5, 2013
Options wrote:
Why not hire enough substitute teachers to keep the kids in school? That would take away some of the leverage.
We just got a letter from the school in the mail this morning that says school will not close if there is a strike because the've hired subs.
sickning

United States

#60 Jan 5, 2013
Subs=scabs
Sad

Johnston City, IL

#61 Jan 5, 2013
sickning wrote:
Subs=scabs
They are not scabs! There are plenty of subs who do not ever want to teach on a full time basis who will sub. If you have a bachelors degree, you can sub. Remember that!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sesser Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jason Confer 4 hr oneofmany 1
brandon Robles meth cooker 10 hr letto 1
Klee Kneel 23 hr Know 1
200 north suyvesant Tue theylikethecream 2
Pokey men with man buns cross dressers and lame... Tue Dreamer 1
Curious about Bearcat football Mon Curious George 1
Melissa Clayton Sun Well 2

Sesser Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance