Are the teachers going to strike???
well

Harrisburg, IL

#2 Jan 1, 2013
I don't know...are they?
parent

Kansas City, KS

#3 Jan 1, 2013
I haven't heard anything since the letter we received saying it was possible. My guess is probably not or surely we would of heard something by now?? I sure hope not!
another parent

Des Moines, IA

#4 Jan 1, 2013
There's also info on the school website about how the union is "demanding" more money for the teachers. While perhaps the teachers *may* be slighty underpaid when compared with other districts, it is a small rural school and that is normal. The district claims they don't have the money for these pay increases, so where is the union wanting the money to come from? Check out the website, it's infuriating. I haven't had a pay increase at my job in 5 yrs, and won't be getting one at any time in the forseeable future.
jobless

United States

#5 Jan 1, 2013
They should be happy they even have a job. Many of us in the area have lost jobs lately and wish we had a job let alone a pay increase. They need to be thankful and leave things be.
Benjamin Tunn

United States

#6 Jan 1, 2013
Jobless, get off your lazy ass and get a job. There are jobs everywhere. No excuses. McDonald's is hiring. A half a loaf of bread is better than no loaf.
parent 2

United States

#7 Jan 2, 2013
I too agree that the teachers should be happy with their jobs and pay. I don't think anyone with a job and the ability to live comfortably should be complaining right now. There are people who are truly struggling right now and by that I don't me they cannot afford "Silver Jeans", I mean they cannot afford their bills, food, clothing from Wal-Mart, car payments, insurance, etc. I do not see any of the teachers struggling. I believe everyone of them have a spouse that work also. I hope they can be grateful for their jobs and continue to teach our children with the money we contribute from our paychecks.
Jenny

Marion, IL

#8 Jan 2, 2013
Maybe they should just combine the schools!!! THey should anyway...that is ridiculous.
parent 3

United States

#9 Jan 2, 2013
What about the persons in the office, the teachers aides, school bus drivers, kitchen personel and janitorial staff....I but they wouldn't complain to have the teacher wages or a $1.00 or $2.00 raise..It takes everyone to make the wheels go round!!
Parent

Overland Park, KS

#10 Jan 2, 2013
Jenny wrote:
Maybe they should just combine the schools!!! THey should anyway...that is ridiculous.
You don't have children in Ewing School do you? It is an EXCELLENT school and definitely does not need to consolidate.
rob

Herrin, IL

#11 Jan 2, 2013
Ewing teachers should never be allowed to strike and use these kids for leverage,The board members are not against the teachers making a little more money. There is only so much money to go around each year and the board will have to make educated decisions to keep this great little school going.
another parent

United States

#12 Jan 2, 2013
Everyone always wants to make more money, but if the money isn't there....the money isn't there, period. Wonder how the majority of teachers there think about this?
Jenny

Marion, IL

#13 Jan 2, 2013
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have children in Ewing School do you? It is an EXCELLENT school and definitely does not need to consolidate.
Acutally I do! I also think that it would be terrible for them to strike and put our kids behind in school sports and everything else just because they are greedy. I agree about it being a great school in the past...but the past couple of years I think that the school has went down hill. With new principal and a couple questionable teachers!

“Common sense isn't common”

Since: Dec 12

Sesser IL

#14 Jan 2, 2013
This county needs three school districts, period: SVZR, WF/T'ville and Benton/Everyone Else. They should all three be 'unit districts', too. It's time Franklin County joined the late 20th Century.
construction worker

United States

#16 Jan 3, 2013
i do agree that ewing has went down hill. and yes i have had children attend there and do live there..they try to run it like military anymore.what ever happened to kids having fun?since all the good teachers have retired the new ones have no time to help the kids..whatever happened to kids coming in early or coming in at recess or lunch to ask questions if they dont understand?the teachers there now do not do this becuz it cuts into their break time.they need to get rid of all the very young ones and bring back experienced teachers let alone a new principle!!
JOKER

Marion, IL

#17 Jan 3, 2013
Haha HOw funny would that be! All them snobby a** pretend christians out there that stick their noses up at everyone! They think they're better and that their kids are better than everyone just because they go to Ewing. Walk around preaching the bible to everyone yet they are the most judgmental people in this county! Guess what your no better!!! Sad thing is they are teaching their kids the same behavior!
Butch

Carmi, IL

#18 Jan 3, 2013
If you can't afford to give your teachers at the very least a cost of living raise, then you really can't afford to have a school. You people are wanting to pay folks with masters degrees like hourly employees. The fact that some people are out of jobs has absolutely nothing to do with it! Calling them "greedy" is especially appalling and downright stupid.
Seriously

Harrisburg, IL

#19 Jan 3, 2013
JOKER, what in the world are you talking about???:/
rob

Herrin, IL

#20 Jan 3, 2013
Butch wrote:
If you can't afford to give your teachers at the very least a cost of living raise, then you really can't afford to have a school. You people are wanting to pay folks with masters degrees like hourly employees. The fact that some people are out of jobs has absolutely nothing to do with it! Calling them "greedy" is especially appalling and downright stupid.
It doesn't take a masters degree to teach grade school,,some teachers continue their education just to step up on the pay scale and for no other reason. They should use some of that education to understand accounting and simple math.
Too

Brighton, MO

#21 Jan 3, 2013
rob wrote:
<quoted text> It doesn't take a masters degree to teach grade school,,some teachers continue their education just to step up on the pay scale and for no other reason. They should use some of that education to understand accounting and simple math.
Well said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sesser Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eric armes 13 min iknowhim 2
Pops Bq 29 min Rick 9
Barbie Willis + Mr. and Mrs. Mike and Rhonda Reed 33 min Connie 36
Willie ruble 42 min Ray 38
Youth football officials leave much to be desired 18 hr ManBearPig 2
Everyone is leaving sesser Sun Sophie 5
Who believes former mayor Ned Mitchell is scum ... Sep 21 mcnasty 4

Sesser Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance