Who is the best athlete ever at Sesse...
Northwest Benton

Coulterville, IL

#21 Oct 1, 2009
know it love it wrote:
<quoted text>
I will have to disagree with you about basketball Shane was a fine ball player, but he didn't have guys 2 to 6 inches tall than him guarding him. I remember seeing Brice in the sectionals playing against a D-1 college player and Brice scored 24 or 26 pts. I believe the guy was 6'11 went on to play for SLU. If Brice and Shane were to play one on one, both of them as seniors in school, Brice wins. He would be able to guard Shane on the peremeter. Shane would a tough time guarding him in the paint.
Shane always had the other team's best defender guarding him, so he saw quickness, size, and strength (or a combination of all three) on any given night. Brice could NOT guard Shane on the perimeter. But, I'll agree that Shane wouldn't stop Brice in the post either. Metty never made either one play much defense in their careers. Shane made the players around him better than they really were. Brice didn't. He was more of a "black hole." Of course, he had to be his senior year if they were going to beat anyone any good.

Good debate. I'll still take Shane as a basketball player.

Since: Oct 09

Coulterville, IL

#22 Oct 1, 2009
Shane played both basketball and baseball at Rend Lake. He finished his career playing baseball at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
homie

United States

#23 Oct 1, 2009
Northwest Benton wrote:
<quoted text>
Shane always had the other team's best defender guarding him, so he saw quickness, size, and strength (or a combination of all three) on any given night. Brice could NOT guard Shane on the perimeter. But, I'll agree that Shane wouldn't stop Brice in the post either. Metty never made either one play much defense in their careers. Shane made the players around him better than they really were. Brice didn't. He was more of a "black hole." Of course, he had to be his senior year if they were going to beat anyone any good.
Good debate. I'll still take Shane as a basketball player.
Brice could defend Shane on the perimeter no doubt. I've seen it at the old gym in sesser. Shane did make his teamates better he had to if they were going to beat anyone any good. And I do believe that Brice did lead the team in steals his senior year so I think he could play defence.
Devil Fan

Coulterville, IL

#24 Oct 2, 2009
If you are talking about basketball alone, Brice Gunter has a hard time making it in the top ten all time great players. S-V has had a lot of quality players over the years that have put up some pretty impressive stats. Shane would be in the top fvie in my opinion.
really Really

United States

#25 Oct 3, 2009
Devil Fan wrote:
If you are talking about basketball alone, Brice Gunter has a hard time making it in the top ten all time great players. S-V has had a lot of quality players over the years that have put up some pretty impressive stats. Shane would be in the top fvie in my opinion.
I think brice makes top 10 easy. all conference 2 yrs al-state honorable menetion may have been all conference captan or mvp sr. yr not sure about that. I was wondering who is in your top ten?
Just Me

Equality, IL

#26 Oct 4, 2009
Damn people please I am not that old. Brice couldn't hang with Shane G,Scott B, Justin M, Jamie V, or Wesley W. Brice good ball player but no where closs to the talent of these 5 players and I am sure there are more. Now when it comes to beer drinking this might be a close race!!!
really Really

United States

#27 Oct 4, 2009
Just Me wrote:
Damn people please I am not that old. Brice couldn't hang with Shane G,Scott B, Justin M, Jamie V, or Wesley W. Brice good ball player but no where closs to the talent of these 5 players and I am sure there are more. Now when it comes to beer drinking this might be a close race!!!
I think you are that old because I think you've lost your mind. Jamie V!!!!!! Justin M!!!!! Maybe you should think about that a little. Besides I think this forum is about athletes not just basketball.
Devil Fan

Britton, MI

#28 Oct 4, 2009
Here is my "Dream Team"
1. Scott Burzynski (4 spot)
2. Shane Garner (2 spot)
3. Jerry Hampleman (3 spot)
4. Brian Laur (1 spot)
5. Jamie Veach (at the 5)
Off the Bench
Ted Farmer (Did not see play)
Gene Anderson
Derek Mapes
Justin Matyi
Keith Taylor
Ronnie Maddox (Did not see play)
Red Devil

Cambridge, MA

#29 Oct 4, 2009
really Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are that old because I think you've lost your mind. Jamie V!!!!!! Justin M!!!!! Maybe you should think about that a little. Besides I think this forum is about athletes not just basketball.
Jamie Veach was a Divsion 1 player, who saw lots of action at SIU his final year. Justin Matyi is a two time all conf selection (MVP his junior year)and a second team all stater. He still has his senior year to play. If you don't realize how good these two players are than you have missed some great players in S-V history.
homie

United States

#30 Oct 5, 2009
veach couldn't score. matyi can't move his feet to play d. veach had size. matyi can shoot 10 ft in. besides this fourm is for athlete
Pat Holliday

Carbondale, IL

#31 Nov 2, 2009
Rhonda Brown

Wesley Wilt
ladeedah

Decatur, IL

#32 Nov 11, 2009
id go with the big faulkner kid he was physical
LONG DUC DONG

Coulterville, IL

#33 Nov 16, 2009
take brice away from any of his teams his senior year you will lose 50 to 60 percent of your team. I don't think you can say that about any other guys on any of these lists
Sesser resident

Madrid, IA

#34 Nov 20, 2009
I have seen most all of them play, Shane, babied to much, Metcalfs pet project,reason for all his high scores, blown away when he went up against regular college dudes. Scott B, Very good for his size, but Wilt, Gunter, Veach, Hampleman, Laur, Dickey and Dublo would crush all others. Just my thoughts
LONG DUC DONG

Coulterville, IL

#35 Nov 25, 2009
top ten sesser basketball players
scott burzinski
brian laur
wesley wilt
brice gunter
jerry hampleman
mike conner
derick mapes
courtney magatt
gene anderson
brock babington

just in the order they came to mind
Tony Franklin

Malden, MA

#36 Nov 26, 2009
You seriously think Brock and Gene were better than Shane???
LONG DUC DONG

Coulterville, IL

#37 Dec 1, 2009
now that you mention it no. my bad
Actual Observer

Coulterville, IL

#38 Apr 13, 2010
Sesser resident wrote:
I have seen most all of them play, Shane, babied to much, Metcalfs pet project,reason for all his high scores, blown away when he went up against regular college dudes. Scott B, Very good for his size, but Wilt, Gunter, Veach, Hampleman, Laur, Dickey and Dublo would crush all others. Just my thoughts
Shane started 2 years at Rend Lake in the best Junior College conference around. Your comment makes no sense. I thought his high scores would be the result of him being a good shooter? Must have had some really good plays since he scored 2,000 points.
the lou

United States

#39 Apr 14, 2010
homie wrote:
Scott Burzinski
Brian Laur
Brice Gunter (probably the best all around athlete)
Wesley Wilt
Shane Garner
Brock Babington
This just a few off the top of my head
None of these guys have a state title, Wesley Wilt is a state champion in the long jump, not to mention basketball and football, win a state title then you can compare
Sesser resident

Newtown, PA

#40 Apr 15, 2010
Yes, I know he Played 2 years at RL. "Best J-College conference around", I'm not to sure about that...I saw a few games with him playing, one in particular was agains J.A.L.G. sorry, they moped the floor with him, he scored one layup. had the ball stolen from him 3 times and sat on the bench most of the last half of the game. In high school he was treated special by Metcalf, I saw this first hand, and many of his teammates and other parents also knew this to be true and made many comments about it in the stands. I am not saying he was a bad player or a bad person, it is just when you are given overtly many advantages to score, of course you will get a high total for his total grade and high school points.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sesser Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New York times 3 hr Messed up bastards 8
Iron Horse break-ins 5 hr Homeless 3
Drunks 7 hr Constantly harassed 11
Jessi Uhls 8 hr HamBone 22
OMFG SERIOUSLY CHARLIE PAUL??? New Jokers Den O... 9 hr LuvMeSomChas 4
matthew (Apr '15) 17 hr Cris 10
Sesser-Valier school Fri Concerned parent 1

Sesser Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance