NOW celebrates women at historic upstate NY site
The National Organization for Women is staging the first in an annual series of conferences for women and girls at a hallowed venue in upstate New York.
The conference runs from Friday through Sunday at various sites in Seneca Falls, the Finger Lakes village where the first documented women's rights convention was held in 1848.
Many of the events celebrating women's achievements and exploring strategies to push for women's equality around the world will be open to the public.
Among the scheduled speakers are U.S. Rep. Carolyn Maloney, a New York Democrat, authors Martha Burk and Abby Ellin, and Ellie Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.
#1 Nov 9, 2008
The largest anti male hate organization is celebrating? Iguess they miss their heroines, Andrea Dworkin and Valerie Solonas
"I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig." -- Andrea Dworkin
"Q: People think you are very hostile to men. A: I am." -- Andrea Dworkin
As humans have a prior right to existence over dogs by virtue of being more highly evolved and having a superior consciousness, so women have a prior right to existence over men. The elimination of any male is, therefore, a righteous and good act, an act highly beneficial to women as well as an act of mercy.- Valerie Solanas
"To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he's a machine, a walking dildo." -- Valerie Solanas, Authoress of the SCUM Manifesto
"Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation, and destroy the male sex." -- Valerie Solana, SCUM founder
"Politically, I call it rape whenever a woman has sex and feels violated." -- Catherine MacKinnon
"All sex, even consensual sex between a married couple, is an act of violence perpetrated against a woman." -- Catherine MacKinnon
Precursors to the sexist crime bill VAWA?
"The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race." -- Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future - If There Is One - Is Female.
"If life is to survive on this planet, there must be a decontamination of the Earth. I think this will be accompanied by an evolutionary process that will result in a drastic reduction of the population of males." --Mary Daly, former Professor at Boston College, 2001.
"Men who are unjustly accused of rape can sometimes gain from the experience." - Catherine Comins
"All men are rapists and that's all they are" -- Marilyn French, Authoress; (later, advisoress to Al Gore's Presidential Campaign.)
"Probably the only place where a man can feel really secure is in a maximum security prison, except for the imminent threat of release." -- Germaine Greer.
#2 Nov 9, 2008
"Women have their faults / men have only two:/ everything they say / everything they do." -- Popular Feminist Graffiti
1. "The simple fact is that every woman must be willing to be identified as a lesbian to be fully feminist" (National NOW Times, January, 1988).
2. "Since marriage constitutes slavery for women, it is clear that the women's movement must concentrate on attacking this institution. Freedom for women cannot be won without the abolition of marriage" (feminist leader Sheila Cronan).
3. In response to a question concerning China's policy of compulsory abortion after the first child, Molly Yard responded, "I consider the Chinese government's policy among the most intelligent in the world" (Gary Bauer, "Abetting Coercion in China," The Washington Times, Oct. 10, 1989).
4. "Overthrowing capitalism is too small for us. We must overthrow the whole...patriarch!" (Gloria Steinem, radical feminist leader, editor of MS magazine).
5. "Marriage has existed for the benefit of men; and has been a legally sanctioned method of control over women.... We must work to destroy it. The end of the institution of marriage is a necessary condition for the liberation of women. Therefore it is important for us to encourage women to leave their husbands and not to live individually with men.... All of history must be re-written in terms of oppression of women. We must go back to ancient female religions like witchcraft" (from "The Declaration of Feminism," November, 1971).
6. "By the year 2000 we will, I hope, raise our children to believe in human potential, not God." (Gloria Steinem, editor of MS magazine).
7. "Let's forget about the mythical Jesus and look for encouragement, solace, and inspiration from real women.... Two thousand years of patriarchal rule under the shadow of the cross ought to be enough to turn women toward the feminist 'salvation' of this world." (Annie Laurie Gaylor, "Feminist Salvation," The Humanist, p. 37, July/August 1988.
8. "In order to raise children with equality, we must take them away from families and communally raise them" (Dr. Mary Jo Bane, feminist and assistant professor of education at Wellesley College, and associate director of the school's Center for Research on Woman).
9. "Being a housewife is an illegitimate profession... The choice to serve and be protected and plan towards being a family- maker is a choice that shouldn't be. The heart of radical feminism is to change that." (Vivian Gornick, feminist author, University of Illinois, The Daily Illini, April 25, 1981.
10. "The most merciful thing a large family can to do one of its infant members is to kill it." (Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, in "Women and the New Race," p. 67).
#3 Nov 9, 2008
Feminism, Socialism, and Communism are one in the same, and Socialist/Communist government is the goal of feminism. - Catharine A. MacKinnon
#4 Nov 10, 2008
Who typically abuses children?
In 2006, approximately 58 percent (57.9%) of child abuse and neglect perpetrators were women and 42 percent (42.1%) were men. For the most part, female perpetrators were younger than male perpetrators; of the women who were perpetrators, more than 40 percent (45.3%) of women were younger than 30 years of age as compared to one-third percent (35.1%) of men.
#5 Nov 10, 2008
Women of the Ku Klux Klan: Constitution and Bylaws; Outline of Principles and Teachings; recruitment card.
This ephemera c. 1927 from the Women of the Ku Klux Klan was found in Coxsackie, New York, and was part of a museum accession that also included Klan robes and hoods. These artifacts are representative of widespread KKK activity in New York State in the 1920s. An estimated 80,000 New Yorkers belonged to the Klan. In fact, New York had the seventh highest membership in the nation. The Albany-Schenectady-Troy area had an estimated 11,000 members, but Klan rallies, parades, and burning crosses were reported statewide, from the state headquarters in Binghamton to Long Island, from Buffalo to the Catskills. As opposed to the anti-black animus in the South, the primary targets of the Klan in New York were Roman Catholics, Jews, immigrants generally, and "Bolsheviks" (the common 1920s name for communists).
Nationwide, as many as half a million women were members of Women of the Ku Klux Klan (WKKK). The Tri-K for Girls was the female youth group. It may seem surprising that women were involved in the Klan, but many elements of the Klan's platform were intended to appeal to women. Although Klanswomen did not enjoy equality with Klansmen, Klan rhetoric glorified the purity of womanhood and the sanctity of the home. Enforcing Prohibition was a cornerstone of the KKK's "reform" agenda. In this the Klan shared a position held by many progressive reformers, including many suffragists and feminists, who condemned the use of alcohol as detrimental to society.(For a similar view, see the Women's Christian Temperance Union quilt also on this web site.) The Klan opposed "vice" in all forms, including prostitution and gambling. The Klan in the 1920s was active in electoral politics to achieve some of its objectives, and therefore it supported women's right to vote--that is, it supported Klan women voting for Klan-endorsed candidates. Klanswomen also participated in boycotts of businesses owned by Jews and others who were not considered "100% American" (anyone not native-born, white, and Protestant).
Christine Kleinegger, Senior Historian
#6 Nov 10, 2008
#7 Nov 10, 2008
#8 Nov 28, 2008
To the Women and Men who respect the women's Services for Our Country, I also thank them for supporting the World War II United States Cadet Nurse Corps Members, who are urging Congress to recognize these women as United States Veterans who enlisted and served, in that Declared World War II era in Institutions caring for the Civilians and the Military. May our women always
Add your comments below
|Whats going on in Phelps||May 16||Pete||2|
|Seneca Falls fight ends in two arrests, officer... (Nov '11)||May 15||Troy randleman||12|
|Need Information. (Oct '15)||Mar '16||drippy dicky||2|
|Brook Street Park Incident 3/16/16||Mar '16||sidney||1|
|Man shot by Geneva police officer dies (May '11)||Mar '16||eyeswithoutaface||8|
|Mott's strikers get boost from grocery workers'... (Jul '10)||Jan '16||Thomas||13|
|New York woman facing murder charge in Catoosa ...||Jan '16||Mommy dearest||1|
Find what you want!
Search Seneca Falls Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC