SHHS in the 70's
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
long gone

Brookfield, CT

#1 Jun 7, 2010
74 graduate...left the area immediately and have lost touch until I ran across this site. Try to skip the bad stuff but found some info on the Hornersville forum about former students and teachers and then a thread on teachers here. Most of that was interesting and brought back old memories.

Surprised to hear that former classmates and schoolmates that I knew are no longer with us. Sad in most cases.

Recently a 73 grad died...Sheila Kinnison. I knew a 72 grad..Steve Staggs died before I graduated. A friend..David Battles a 73 grad died of an illness and then on this site learned of Mike Chandler and his sister Karen. A very nice kid in my class..David McGrew...saw where he had died. Sad to here that. How long ago and what was the circumstances?

What other 70's SHHS alumni or teachers during that time have we lost? Not for gossip...just wondering.

Really not interested in the local gossip or the hateful and hurtful comments that can be made on sites like this..but if used the right way this can be a great way to catch up on my younger days.

Thanks for any info!
Senath girl

Palestine, TX

#2 Jun 7, 2010
James Sawyer went to be with the Lord a year ago this week.
Vic

Gregory, AR

#3 Jun 7, 2010
Darla and Kim Hawkins both passed away last week. I thought a lot of both of them. I don't know who the original poster is but I graduated in 1974
long gone

Brookfield, CT

#4 Jun 7, 2010
I remember James...seems like he was probably a 75 grad. Vaguely remember Kim Hawkins...but my memory is not what it used to be. Was he 74? Not sure about Darla..when did she graduate?
Sorry to hear about all of those.
Vic..if you are a 74 grad..you were a classmate. Afraid to put a real name on a site like this. Any skeletons in my closet would probably fall out..lol. Worse because people can say things...true or rumors...and hide behind screen names. For that...I will just remain anonymous but promise I am here in peace and will never never say anything negative about anyone.
Thanks for sharing Senath girl and Vic. Vic...probably sat beside you in some class at some point.
Ritter

Fenton, MO

#5 Jun 8, 2010
I too am a 74 graduate
Still living in Senath also.
Kim Hawkins was female; she did not graduate. But did attend school here.

Did you live here in Senath, back in the day??
There are still some of the 74s living here.
long gone

Brookfield, CT

#6 Jun 9, 2010
Ritter...not "in" Senath..I grew up in the "country". I was thinking Kim Douglas...sorry about that. Do not have any recollection of Kim Hawkins or Darla Hawkins.

I know the area has really changed. I seldom go back but just recently I drove through both Senath and then Hornersville. Hard to figure out if it has changed so much or I just viewed it differently when I was young and around there all the time.
Mr Anderson

Stockholm, Sweden

#7 Jun 9, 2010
long gone wrote:
I know the area has really changed. I seldom go back but just recently I drove through both Senath and then Hornersville. Hard to figure out if it has changed so much or I just viewed it differently when I was young and around there all the time.
Senath has turned into Little Mexico.
long gone

Park Hills, MO

#8 Jan 16, 2011
Revisiting an old thread.

Just spoke with a former SHHS student....68 grad. Neither of us have been back for any length of time, but this person was talking about old times.

Both had the same question....is the Senath Light still a big deal? Used to be more of an excuse to go "parking" than anything else...something I don't think kids even do anymore.

Seems like a lot of the teachers are 70 era grads...heard the school is much different now than back in the day.

Is that true? How?
Ritter

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Jan 16, 2011
Donna Sue Vaughan has also passed away.

She was graduated 74
senathian

Columbia, MO

#10 Jan 17, 2011
Mr Anderson wrote:
<quoted text>Senath has turned into Little Mexico.
amen!!!!
74 grad

Gregory, AR

#11 Jan 17, 2011
I graduated in 1974, so sorry to hear about the deaths of darla and kim and donna sue. I live in Paragould and am having some hard times with family losses and illnesses now myself
long gone

Park Hills, MO

#12 Jan 17, 2011
Was Donna Sue Vaughan her maiden name? Cannot remember a Donna Sue Vaughan.

To 74 grad....me too...sorry to about your hard times. Seems we are now at that age where we are having to give up our parents....time flies.

Prayers are with you!
Snowman

Houston, TX

#13 Jan 19, 2011
long gone wrote:
Is the Senath Light still a big deal?
The Light road is ruined. One of the local farmers cleaned out all of the fence rows down the whole road. The rural country around Senath will blow away one of these days, and they'll wonder why. They're destroying all of the protection.
long gone

Park Hills, MO

#14 Jan 20, 2011
That is too bad. Kind of a special thing for so many years. I remember people coming from all over to see "The Light". I remember as a teenager, car loads, especially from the Air Force Base (another thing that has disappeared) would come to the teenage hangouts and want people to take them to see "The Light".

Last time through..did notice the "wind breaks" had been destroyed. People need to read history books about the "Dust Storms" of the 30's.
Snowman

Absecon, NJ

#15 Jan 20, 2011
You are so right. There was a farmer back in the 80's killed himself because high winds & dust destroyed his cotton crop.

Chicago, IL

#16 Jan 21, 2011
Teresa Lowe, Chris Stewart, and Doug French passed away from class of 75. David McGrew passed in the 90's from a brain aneurism suddenly, very sad. It is a shame the trees are gone from the light road, it sure doesn't look the same. Where did you move to?
long gone

Park Hills, MO

#17 Jan 21, 2011
Thanks Guest...sorry to hear about those former schoolmates. Remember Chris and Doug very well, and would have considered David a school friend for sure.

Moved to the St. Louis area...been here since late 70's.

At SHHS in the 70's, the school was bigger than now but still small enough that you knew most everyone, though I have forgotten so much and so many. I probably knew Teresa Lowe also just cannot remember. Also as time passes, you forget any negatives about that time, and just realize we were just young and often not too smart..me for sure..and that "high school" stuff is pretty insignificant. Sure those people all had families that mourn their loss.

How long has it been for each of them?

Chicago, IL

#18 Jan 21, 2011
long gone wrote:
Thanks Guest...sorry to hear about those former schoolmates. Remember Chris and Doug very well, and would have considered David a school friend for sure.
Moved to the St. Louis area...been here since late 70's.
At SHHS in the 70's, the school was bigger than now but still small enough that you knew most everyone, though I have forgotten so much and so many. I probably knew Teresa Lowe also just cannot remember. Also as time passes, you forget any negatives about that time, and just realize we were just young and often not too smart..me for sure..and that "high school" stuff is pretty insignificant. Sure those people all had families that mourn their loss.
How long has it been for each of them?
Your welcome. Teresa died in 2005, Chris in 1983, seems like Doug in the 90's. Also Benny McAtee, the principal, died last year. B.J. Larsen died and they renamed the middle school gym in his honor
long gone

Park Hills, MO

#19 Jan 23, 2011
I had heard about Mr. McAtee. Definitely remembered him. He hit me with a paddle a few times, but I survived. Looking back, being the Principal was pretty much a thankless job. You had to do the dirty work with the students and being young and stupid, he was the "enemy". Now, looking back, I was my own worst enemy.

Did not know Mr. Larsen, but do remember him. From everything I ever heard about him he was a great man and was a positive influence on lots of kids.
OleTimer

Arkadelphia, AR

#20 Feb 3, 2011
Speaking of ones at SHHS...HOW BOUT THE TEACHERS? Mrs. Hartsoe; Mr. Fritz; Mrs. Clayton, haven't seen Mr. Dunivan in awhile, don't know about him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senath Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parker Hannifins starting pay 13 min Get Real 4
Pay for play 7 hr Fire 15
Trump to sign bill to cut social security 20% 8 hr harry Truman 30
anyone know him? 17 hr Fishing 2
Couple going to Lions Den 19 hr Donna 4
Republicans plan to Rob your Social Security Mon It is SOCIAL SECU... 13
Veronica Mon She bad 9

Senath Jobs

Personal Finance

Senath Mortgages