3 Killed in Accident at Mobile CSX Rail Yard

Mar 5, 2013 Full story: Local 15 19

MOBILE, Al. Three are killed in an accident at CSX rail yard. Mobile Fire and Rescue confirm three transients were killed and one injured while sleeping in one of the train cars.

Full Story
Star

Seattle, WA

#1 Mar 5, 2013
Those transients were my friends. Three people, three human beings, three lives were recently extinguished in the attempt to reach an associate in Florida. Where's the part about the hours that were spent waiting for someone to come & remove the I beams from their bodies? It's funny, something so powerful only warrants a few notations.
person

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Mar 5, 2013
Star wrote:
Those transients were my friends. Three people, three human beings, three lives were recently extinguished in the attempt to reach an associate in Florida. Where's the part about the hours that were spent waiting for someone to come & remove the I beams from their bodies? It's funny, something so powerful only warrants a few notations.
Who were they. I have been searching trying to find names but there is nothing. I cant figure out if I know them or now.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2013
So sad
anotherperson

Mount Airy, NC

#4 Mar 5, 2013
Yeah if their your friends..
Who were they. Other transients worried

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#5 Mar 5, 2013
I'm not a transient. I didn't know them. It's still sad.
Eniigma

Reno, NV

#6 Mar 5, 2013
They weren't transients they were young kids, in their early twenties traveling across the country.
oops

Mount Shasta, CA

#7 Mar 6, 2013
Star wrote:
anyway you can help me figure out who they were, alot of us are wondering since that is the line from NOLA to flordia, which is pretty used by alot of people i know this time of year
you can email me at fr8train666@yahoo.com
Kristen

Baltimore, MD

#8 Mar 6, 2013
Transients? These people were my friends. They had so much talent and were absolutely beautiful souls. The were free. They traveled every where they could. They have parents & friends who are broken over this TRAGEDY!

They are
Keith Poplaski
Christina Givens
Dylon Elston

I believe the two who lived are Franco & Reggie. Reggie is in the hospital injured.
oops

Mount Shasta, CA

#9 Mar 6, 2013
Thank you for the names, I didn't know any of them but i will pass the message along to those who may have. As a fellow rider, i know how hard this is, sorry for your loss...
oops...
Kristen wrote:
Transients? These people were my friends. They had so much talent and were absolutely beautiful souls. The were free. They traveled every where they could. They have parents & friends who are broken over this TRAGEDY!
They are
Keith Poplaski
Christina Givens
Dylon Elston
I believe the two who lived are Franco & Reggie. Reggie is in the hospital injured.
Kristen

Washington, DC

#10 Mar 6, 2013
It's extremely difficult to swallow this. I hope all fellow train hoppers are more careful after this tragic accident.
Kristen

Washington, DC

#11 Mar 6, 2013
Also, they weren't sleeping, they had only been on the train for about 15 minutes
sarah

Tampa, FL

#12 Mar 6, 2013
One is Kieth poplaski another is Christina givens I'm not sure of the third person I'm going by people who knew them on facebook I hope my info helps
tye dye ry

Phillipsburg, NJ

#13 Mar 7, 2013
I knew two of them keith I grew up with in a town in pennsylvania. He changed my life there was never a dull moment when you were with him. N I knew his girlfriend. Not for very long but we met. Keith stood up for a lot. A true american anarcist livin day by day traveling. He was respected by many and will never be forgotten by family and friends. Rest easy keith and christina.
Seek

West Palm Beach, FL

#14 Mar 8, 2013
Dylon is my friend's brother. I'm just posting to pay my respects. I never met him in person (though have had some funny phone convos)... It's a shame how hard it was for me to find this blip. As if their lives were nothing more. People could def use some more empathy. Everyone that ever was and that ever will be leaves a mark on this world. We need to acknowledge that always. The circle of life is more than just a corny song. Thank you for the time we had with you Dylon. Thank you for the life you led. Thank you on behalf of everyone's life you've touched. Thanks for the memories
April Smith

Pittston, PA

#15 Mar 11, 2013
dylon was my friend and this is sad to hear about and messed up that it took people forever to get the beams off of them may dylon and keith rest in peace
ridesafeandyouwo ntdie

Newaygo, MI

#16 Mar 24, 2013
Sorry to hear all of this but in reality this is unsafe travel, and is not for the new or dumb it sounds like somebody playing veteran hobo encouraged the trio to put faith/trust into them to ride out, either that or alcohol once again blurred the correct and safe way to think which is a sad factor but you can't expect any different of an outcome. To safely make it to another day you do have to rely on wits and LUCK, throw in the booze and train hopping hardcore fuck u pay me ego doesn't do nothing more but force you to depend MORE on LUCK. If the trio really wasn't into the freight community as it describes on the web then I do feel sorry for them meeting unresponsible riders that exploit a very dangerous lifestyle via internet videos pics Facebook ect. And if Reggie really has been tramping for ten years he should've of known a better ride or had the common sense to wait "theres always another" or don't ride with greenhorns let alone a group of em. It sounds like encouragement from train core drunks not thinking smartly and looking to exploit the look what I can do demeener of a beautiful way of life. maybe the trio has ridden some trains before but obviously NOT ENOUGH to know ride alone, and don't put fresh need to know knowledge in the hand of train core drunks or junkies they obviously can't think for the safety of themselves let alone 3 others. Year round especially since Facebook came along living out and about is no longer the same it is constantly exploited by the boohoo no body loves me kids that come out claiming no family no friends when really at least 45 to60% of the kids I've met out are just pissed off runaways that never stopped running and realized it was to easy to rely on rainbow and the fresh new kids to mimick a crew or social accepted feeling. STOP POSTING TRAINCORE VIDEOS your not cool your just a tramp this is not a highschool popularity test.
Hats off to all that have died exploring the world in anyway. CHEERS
Katie Givens

Saint Marys, GA

#17 Jun 13, 2013
Ridesafe you hit it on the head, The girl killed is my husbands sister, she has family and tons of friends we all tried to warn her but she followed a boy. They were going to FL to see a friend she was stopping in Jax to come see us as well we live in Ga. I just had a baby and her father was also here. Its devistatong to say the least. She didnt want responsability or to follow parents rules. Franco made train hopping sound like the best adventure so she followed him and keith. It sad she died just days before her 20th birthday because she let drunk idiots cloud her better judgement. I hope other people learn from their mistakes there is a reason its illegal.
ashlie

Kingston, PA

#18 Jul 16, 2013
2 the last 2 comments for 1 NONE of them were drunk u idiots!!! for 2 they did what they wanted to do live there life and be free they are adults they made the choices they wanted to make, that choice to get on was just a wrong time choice but..EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON! and katie givens for u to talk so down on ur sister in law shame on ur fucking ass that is so disrespectuful and u shouldnt have even posted ur wastful breath comment. YOU ALL need to learn it doesnt matter how long you been traveling it doesnt matter how good u think u know a place it was THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME they were wonderful people probably 3 of the very few people left on this earth that were beautiful inside and out and lived there dream the way they wanted to, not many people do what they really want in life, with the way the world is today! BUT once again NONE of them were drunk get your damn facts straight that is sickning how you automatically assume they were drunk, clearly we all can see u didnt have a care in the world for them!!! RIP D.E K.P & C.G
andy

Milpitas, CA

#19 Jul 25, 2013
I just got back riding from eug to rvlle, some kid told me about 7 kids he knew were killed by an i beam in louisiana somewhere and he saw it. I was kinda surprised I hadn't heard of it. I looked it up, found this instead. Maybe his story is true, i guess it happened somewhat recently, but I cant find anything on it.

This did happen verifiably, and it really, really sucks.

You dont have to be a "vagrant" to ride trains, but it does lend to that I guess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Semmes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
really!!! Dec 23 yanko 1
See pine cones in a whole new light at The Mobi... Dec 22 Brokendowntired 1
How many people in Alabama are racist? (Nov '08) Dec 20 reader8 169
Earline Martin-Harris, former Prichard coucilwo... Dec 19 CAROL MABRY 1
Search Warrants Served at Residences of Hiawayi... Dec 18 Wonder 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 VeggieBurger 90
Looking for other victims, of my sane rapist Dec 14 Survivor 1
Semmes Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Semmes People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Semmes News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Semmes

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:54 pm PST