Semmes Community OPPOSES Mobile Annexation Meeting Aug/28

There are 2 comments on the Alabama Live story from Aug 24, 2008, titled Semmes Community OPPOSES Mobile Annexation Meeting Aug/28. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

Semmes citizens against Mobile's proposed annexation plan will hold a Community Meeting on Aug/28/2008 @ 6:30 PM at the Semmes Community Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

Ronald Cook

Columbia, SC

#1 Aug 30, 2008
I am for the annexation and for this area becoming Alabama's greatest city. I left this are 30 years ago and still see that the same small backward minds run it.
Sandis Gowns

Daphne, AL

#2 Sep 8, 2008
I am very undecided on this Annexation being bad or good for us. If we go into Mobile we would have to pay city taxes... WHY NOT? Most of our business goes there anyway. If I thought there would be any rise in my business profit, alright. I have a business that offers dry cleaning service AND notified every school band and ROTC in Mobile County that I was giving 10% discount to all government programs cleaning. Our way of giving back... NOT ONE USED US!!! Not even MGM which we also offered to pick up and deliver back for free. And get this...I am not even a mile from them!!! Support our city??? Worry about these schools??? I offered 3 years in a row to supply the gowns for a show at MGM since I am the only gown shop in Semmes, did they use me??? NO! They went to Mobile for their needs also. Until our schools care about us I really don't feel I owe them a thing. In fact I stopped participating in many ways with the local schools. They need to go to Mobile and sell all their ads and such since that is where all our schools money goes anyway. They don't solicit them though, they solicit us, because they know we are here when they want our donations. May sound cold, but to us business owners "It's just Semmes ways", but now we all have to react to the way we are done. In the end it makes for a weak city when no-one cares about the business owners, so there is a BIG problem with your idea of incorporating Semmes. Our schools NEED Mobile, ask them. I don't think they could do ANY kind of affair without Mobile, they never looked around to see if they can give back to their community... they just know what they want from their community. Small town attitude will keep us small town weak and dependent. If you want to build a strong city, use your local businesses. Voting for what you want don't make it happen, THINK PEOPLE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Semmes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pastor Fruh: God Flooded World Over Gay Marriage (Jul '12) May 21 The Ace of Spades 196
New all you can eat crab leg, crawfish, shrimp,... May 17 Clovis ecrevise 5
News It's geaux time! Louisiana-based Rouses Markets... (Feb '14) May 17 linda gates 8
News Christmas tree recycling May 14 JOHN 3
News Customs officials find child stuffed inside sui... May 8 wild child 1
News Major drug bust frees Selma neighborhood (Aug '06) May 2 WoW 116
News DTV information for area residents (Aug '09) Apr 24 hrw 7
More from around the web

Semmes People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]