McNairy County School Board

Posted in the Selmer Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
TaxPayer

Memphis, TN

#1 Jun 16, 2011
Now that a change has been made in our local school system.Teachers will now have Collaborative Conferencing,instead of Collective Bargaining. Simply said McNairy County teachers will now work directly with local school board members.

Is it now time to start drafting citizens to seek the positions of school board member? Should those members be citizens that have established or managed a successful business in McNairy County? Would they know what our children need to succeed instead of a member that only has their family to protect,as a position.
What is on your mind? With McNairy County in the first stages of building a new school? How should it be paid for? Where should it be built?
Who cares

Olive Branch, MS

#2 Jun 16, 2011
It's all politics anyway! Our board members, the teachers and the principals all have the "buddy system" going on.There are very few teachers in this county that actually care about the children.Most of them are just trying to push a student thru so it wont make their precious schools look bad !I can't wait for mine to graduate so I can be done with them.If people really knew what went on in these schools they would croak. My child has worked their tail off to get good grades.There are other students who rarely show up and when they do they get their work "magically" done for them. Get them graduated..no matter what you have to do so it doesn't look bad on the county.Yea....our school system is a big joke. They need to clean house in some of these schools before building new ones.Just my opinion.
BillyMadison

Millington, TN

#3 Jan 7, 2013
The school board members need to realize they aren't just making inconsequential decisions. They are changing the lives of these kids. The schools will never improve until the board of education has changed! They do not care for these children, only for lining their pockets!
oldschool

Medina, TN

#4 Jan 7, 2013
We need people that just don't think one way. A business background will help,along with having what is best for our youth (students) in mind. Larry Smith is a great example. The school will be paid for with some sort a tax. Location,,where is the geo center of McNairy County?
Actually

Milan, TN

#5 Jan 7, 2013
Who cares wrote:
It's all politics anyway! Our board members, the teachers and the principals all have the "buddy system" going on.There are very few teachers in this county that actually care about the children.Most of them are just trying to push a student thru so it wont make their precious schools look bad !I can't wait for mine to graduate so I can be done with them.If people really knew what went on in these schools they would croak. My child has worked their tail off to get good grades.There are other students who rarely show up and when they do they get their work "magically" done for them. Get them graduated..no matter what you have to do so it doesn't look bad on the county.Yea....our school system is a big joke. They need to clean house in some of these schools before building new ones.Just my opinion.
Actually we just got a new school board member. Give him time.
oldschool

Paris, TN

#6 Jan 7, 2013
oldschool wrote:
We need people that just don't think one way. A business background will help,along with having what is best for our youth (students) in mind. Larry Smith is a great example. The school will be paid for with some sort a tax. Location,,where is the geo center of McNairy County?
And where do you disagree?
change

Jackson, TN

#7 Jan 7, 2013
need a change in staff and teachers at all the schools in the county..rotate some of these people to different schools or get rid of them entirely. It would help with the buddy system and teachers playing favorites to their co workers/friend's kids. Our kids deserve better than what they are getting!
I know

Bolivar, TN

#8 Jan 8, 2013
I feel like our school needs school uniforms because I'd we get them they all will look the same and sure woul save us all some money!!!
Proust

Halls, TN

#9 Feb 4, 2013
Most of you should have stayed in school and listened diligently to your teachers. Your grammar is egregious.
best

Jackson, TN

#10 Feb 5, 2013
Our school system is need of changes across the board. Our schools need repairs and updated, teachers and staff need to be looked at and moved to other schools or just let go. Alot of the coaches need to be replaced, look at our records and compare to surrounding counties. It seems McNairy County is stuck and isn't moving forward. Our children deserve things to be better. We need to be more competitive in all areas...academics and sports.
crapper

Gonzales, LA

#11 Feb 6, 2013
Try someone who actually have Children ! Preferably more than 1 with close ages . Try some mothers with children for teachers ,those that actually can relate to children & their needs . The children are not "it" experiments ! School board go to the people & find those who struggle to raise their children with all the pressures of living from pay check to pay check & then you will hear the problems that need to be fixed that are significant to the majority !
Shorty

Tempe, AZ

#12 Feb 6, 2013
True
Wendy

Tempe, AZ

#13 Feb 6, 2013
Yes
dude

Millington, TN

#14 Feb 6, 2013
The problem isn't the teachers, it's the people. If you look at the Statistics, those who do well in school and succeed tend to leave the area.

Those who drop out, or barely pass, or get "graduated" tend to stay. These then reproduce and create the wonderful environment that is our school system.

How about instead of teaching to the lowest common denominator, we actually challenge our students and teach them that they can be better than their parents ever dreamed of.
JackUbetcha

Kingsland, TX

#15 Feb 7, 2013
crapper wrote:
Try someone who actually have Children ! Preferably more than 1 with close ages . Try some mothers with children for teachers ,those that actually can relate to children & their needs . The children are not "it" experiments ! School board go to the people & find those who struggle to raise their children with all the pressures of living from pay check to pay check & then you will hear the problems that need to be fixed that are significant to the majority !
now this is sweet truth finally spoken
JackUbetcha

Kingsland, TX

#16 Feb 7, 2013
dude wrote:
The problem isn't the teachers, it's the people. If you look at the Statistics, those who do well in school and succeed tend to leave the area.
Those who drop out, or barely pass, or get "graduated" tend to stay. These then reproduce and create the wonderful environment that is our school system.
How about instead of teaching to the lowest common denominator, we actually challenge our students and teach them that they can be better than their parents ever dreamed of.
the results of this mentality is what is encountered today with governmental systems with " pride ,$$$ & power as the goal to shoot for as a priority . Simply put "the use of Blind idiocy"at work . Put GOD 1st or watch the system you love implode & collapse.
dude

Millington, TN

#17 Feb 7, 2013
Wow, Jack So you're goal is to sit in the basement and hope God feeds you?

I'm all for God, but we have to do some work ourselves.

If you want "Blind Idiocy" just look around the county.

I don't see how encouraging students to work harder and make a better life is part of a "governmental system with "pride ,$$$ & power"

As a matter of fact, your entire post was disconnected.

I don't know what system you think I love, but I'm all about God being first, but I'm also for teaching kids that just because their parents live off foods stamps and welfare checks, doesn't mean they have to.

It's not pride, it's honor. It's not Greed, it's responsibility. It's not Power, it's potential.
Exactly

Lexington, TN

#18 Feb 7, 2013
dude wrote:
Wow, Jack So you're goal is to sit in the basement and hope God feeds you?
I'm all for God, but we have to do some work ourselves.
If you want "Blind Idiocy" just look around the county.
I don't see how encouraging students to work harder and make a better life is part of a "governmental system with "pride ,$$$ & power"
As a matter of fact, your entire post was disconnected.
I don't know what system you think I love, but I'm all about God being first, but I'm also for teaching kids that just because their parents live off foods stamps and welfare checks, doesn't mean they have to.
It's not pride, it's honor. It's not Greed, it's responsibility. It's not Power, it's potential.
It's also the Biblical way. What ever happened to if you don't work you don't eat? Public handouts were never meant to become a way of life. I don't mind helping someone who has fallen on hard times or who is trying, but those that sit and wait on the check because they are too lazy to work, I don't care if you starve!! I'm not talking about entitlements such as SSI, retirement, legitimate disability, but handouts! There is a difference!,
Problem Solved

Savannah, TN

#19 Feb 28, 2013
No matter what you do to the teachers, Principals, Board members, Students,etc nothing is going to get better, grades, point averages, TCAPS, ACT, and SAT scores until Some genius figures out how to destroy poverty. Have a nice day.
McNairy

Milan, TN

#20 Feb 28, 2013
I don't see any one starving to death in mcnairy county.
I realize most or on a daily diet of ignorance.
Parents need to step in,get their children prepared to face the world. What they learn here will not prepare them to be better citizens.
The sooner you can get you kids out of here the better off they will be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just Because You're Not Cheating, Doesn't Mean ... 2 hr What about 8
Kristen and Amanda Vandiver (Dec '16) 4 hr theirs 15
Selmer pay to play 7 hr Puford 1
Lukes accident 19 hr The mad pooper 2
Advice Sat Piggyback Mt Man 47
Selmer Country Club (Jan '15) Sat STD 47
How Parents Divorce Affected Me Sat Sad daughter 2

Selmer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance