McNairy County Fair & the Selmer Jaycees

Posted in the Selmer Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
MissOpinated

Humboldt, TN

#1 Sep 17, 2010
I have wanted to take the kiddos out to the fair at Selmer but I keep hearing all this bad stuff about it. I just dont know if it is worth my time and money. I may just take the extra 30 minutes and go to the one at Jackson.
Disappointed

Humboldt, TN

#2 Sep 17, 2010
Well... the fair was supposed 2 start on Tuesday and not Wednesday. Does anybody know why it didn't begin as planned?
HISgirl

Humboldt, TN

#3 Sep 17, 2010
I can tell ya this, I won't be going 2 Selmer fair & its because of the disrespect I've seen from that guy thats over the Selmer chapter now. He is nothing but a idiot on a power trip!
ghostlady

Brownsville, TN

#4 Sep 17, 2010
the reason the fair didnt start on tuesday i hear was their was a death in the family ( the guy that owns the rides). i was disrespected that the samn guy HISgirl, i seen some name go to jail from there. i dont think that there has been many people even going... im going to take my kids to jackson. someone needs to get that guy thats over the jaycees out of there.....
Anon Ymous

Humboldt, TN

#5 Sep 17, 2010
I was there a few hours ago and watched a guy get arrested in front of his 3yr old daughter.

She was just crying and pleading for her dad. It about broke my heart to see her so upset. I don't know why he was arrested but I am a little aggravated with the cops for handcuffing him and everything in front of his child. She should not have had to see that and especially not among a crowd of strangers.
MissOpinated

Humboldt, TN

#6 Sep 17, 2010
If it’s bad enough that somebody was arrested tonight, I don’t want my kids anywhere around the place. Jackson fair here I come! Jackson has bigger and better rides anyway.
HometownBizOwner

Humboldt, TN

#7 Sep 17, 2010
I was there tonight 2 take my daughter on the rides, as well as 2 speak 2 the chapter President about renting the building 4 a family reunion next month. I looked around 4 him & could not find him anywhere on the midway.(I know Stephen so I know what he looks like.) When the commotion started, I figured he would be somewhere close by it. Throughout the search of the guy that was arrested, him being handcuffed, the whole 9 yards, I was looking 4 him. Couldn’t find him among all the other Jaycees that were right there in the mix. Common sense told me as a business woman that the person in charge would be right there making sure the situation was taken care of. Yes, the police & security people should be the only ones dealing with the troublemaker but that’s not what I was talking about. I would think that a responsible leader would be out there handling public relations 4 lack of a better term. Making sure everybody else is okay on the midway. Talking 2 the cops & making sure they have everything they need since the arrest was made on Jaycee property. Telling his security guys 2 kindly urge people 2 stay on the midway ‘til after the cops were gone from the parking lot. Therefore keeping people outta the cops way, including nosey Jaycees(!!!) & your typical small town lookey-loos. Where was Stephen? Was he doing any of these things? No he wasn’t. I’m sorry 2 say he was hiding in his office!
Belle

Humboldt, TN

#8 Sep 17, 2010
I am glad I didn’t take my nephew 2night after hearing there was an arrest up there.
TwitterLove

Humboldt, TN

#9 Sep 17, 2010
@MissOpinated: The Selmer fair isn’t horrible & the carnies are not fall down drunk or anything so Idk what all the bad stuff is that you have heard. The ferris wheel hasn’t been seen in this county in a few years but there are not a lot of other good adult rides or game booths. I would suggest the Jackson fair if you have kids going that are gonna be wanting 2 ride every ride they see. Oh & the carmel apples are $4 apiece @ Selmer.@Disappointed: Ghostlady is right about the death in the carnival owner’s family. They were down in Georgia ‘til late Tuesday night 4 the funeral & stuff.
Jennifer

Memphis, TN

#10 Sep 17, 2010
I took my children to the fair,,it was great,,everyone was do nice and helpful,,Selmer should support the fair help keep the money in selmer.
Larry

Memphis, TN

#11 Sep 17, 2010
I cannot wait until Sat nite...i have 2 cars in the demolation derby...both runs real fast hope i will win. both the drivers are ready.
TwitterLove

Humboldt, TN

#12 Sep 17, 2010
@HISgirl:@Ghostlady: I completely agree that Stephen is a disrespectful jerk who is on a power trip most of the time. He can play @ being a nice guy all he wants but this gal doesn’t buy it 4 a minute. I have seen him be rude 2 his fellow Jaycees & Idk how they put up w/ his attitude. I would have done quit or decked him & then quit. No way would I stick around 4 that kind of treatment. He has tried 2 recruit me in2 the Selmer chapter a few times but it aint happening. I would like 2 get involved w/ a nonprofit group like the Jaycees but it won’t be the one he has anything 2 do with! But I don’t think he will be staying around much longer, not in the Selmer chapter. At least not according 2 what a ‘lil birdie told me… they haven’t made enough money 2 pay 4 everything. Not enough people have come through the gate. Way lower than they estimated. No cars have signed up 4 his precious demolition derby. Hell I wouldn’t! Not with as much of a disappointment the last few of his demo derbys have been & not with the Jackson fair group doing 1. I also heard that the rodeo isn’t gonna be much of a rodeo. Its gonna be more of a horse show. If I had paid 4 a rodeo & all I got was a horse show, omg @ how much trouble they would be in from me.
Belle

Humboldt, TN

#13 Sep 17, 2010
@Jennifer I am all for keeping the money in Selmer and supporting the Selmer fair and the Selmer Jaycees that host it every year. I myself am a former Selmer Jaycee so believe me when I say that but for all the good things this carnival company has brought (the first ferris wheel in prolly 8 years, none of the carnies seem to be impaired on or off the clock according to TwitterLove which is beyond nice, all new equipment bought within the last 2 years, etc) doesn’t there seem to be something missing? Is it just me? Maybe it is just the way everything is laid out but, from driving by, it sure doesn’t seem to be a lot of rides or those vendor game booths. How many games, rides & food vendors are there really?
Fair

Memphis, TN

#14 Sep 17, 2010
What is a fair? Maybe it is not what you are looking for? So we have a hand full of people blasting what hundreds enjoyed. Most post dont seem to be really disatisfied about the fair,just certian people?
gave up

Orange, TX

#15 Sep 17, 2010
Ive took my kids to this fair every year for the last 10 years. the last 3 years we have been really dissapointed. last year there was only 3 cars in the derby. only 2 good rides and well that just done it for us. and no exhibits in the jacees building like there used to be. we wont be back this year! were going to the henderson county fair!
XXXJerryXXX

Humboldt, TN

#16 Sep 17, 2010
@Larry: Do you know of any other cars that are signed up for the demo derby?
To The Point

Lexington, TN

#17 Sep 17, 2010
There have been several issues with the Fair this year. No doubt about it. It spans all the way from the carnival company to the Jaycees to the general public. The Fair this year is a bit of a letdown due to the number of rides, number of attendees, number of incidents, certain individuals that shall remain nameless, and things of this nature. If the citizens of this county want a fair that is like the ones in Jackson, Memphis, etc., then the citizens need to be willing to back the Selmer Jaycees AND pay the prices of the larger fairs in surrounding areas. If the citizens of this county are not willing to pay the money needed to attract the bigger carnival companies, then McNairy County will always have the smaller, more questionable Fairs. It's all about demand and revenue. The big Fair Companies will NEVER come to McNairy County if they know they won't make any money. That's just business. The "something for nothing" attitude doesn't exist in places beyond the confines of the McNairy County line. Yes, this county has that attitude. Most here want "something for nothing" and are unwilling to pay for QUALITY entertainment. NOTE: I said MOST...not all. Yes, the Jaycees have had their share of mishaps and ordeals go on in the recent past and the organization is trying it's best to regain the confidence of the citizens of this county. It's a hard thing to do but it IS possible. As stated above, you, the citizens fo this county, have to be willing to make the move and show up/pay the money to have a decent fair/event at the Jaycee's property. the Jaycees is NON-PROFIT...that means they are not a money making organization. They cannot go out and work for or charge a fee for no reason in order to make a profit. Support your local Jaycees and they will bring the events/fairs that you wish this county had all the time. As far as what goes on inside the organization, the issues with who is in a position of power or not and how those situations are handled is not really any concern of anyone's but the Jaycees themselves. I agree things should be handled better from what I have seen, but that is what elections, etc. are for. The Jaycees will see where they can improve on their organization and when they make that move to improve, they will need the support of this county in order to achieve what the citizens of this county want.
selmer jaycees

Jackson, TN

#18 Sep 17, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
Well... the fair was supposed 2 start on Tuesday and not Wednesday. Does anybody know why it didn't begin as planned?
the reason that it didnt start as planned is that the owner of the fair had a death in his family
selmer

Jackson, TN

#19 Sep 17, 2010
Anon Ymous wrote:
I was there a few hours ago and watched a guy get arrested in front of his 3yr old daughter.
She was just crying and pleading for her dad. It about broke my heart to see her so upset. I don't know why he was arrested but I am a little aggravated with the cops for handcuffing him and everything in front of his child. She should not have had to see that and especially not among a crowd of strangers.
he shouldnt have been drunk on jaycee property an second his child was in danger. he may not have been cuff in front of child but jaycees didnt have a sayso
selmer jaycees

Jackson, TN

#20 Sep 17, 2010
MissOpinated wrote:
I have wanted to take the kiddos out to the fair at Selmer but I keep hearing all this bad stuff about it. I just dont know if it is worth my time and money. I may just take the extra 30 minutes and go to the one at Jackson.
we the selmer jaycees hope to see all at fair we are trying to get the fair bigger an better but it wil take time an a little effort from the county so please help out..... thanks selmer jaycees

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Caleb ragan 5 hr pissed 3
Remove Jason Garrett from the Jaycees Committee! 6 hr jason 30
Reese Rhea with Felicia Kiser 6 hr Finger lost 1
paige hensley (Feb '14) 7 hr Random Guest 18
Selmer 7 hr Agreed 8
couple searches female for 3some Wed curious 1
Jeff Mitchell Wed not 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Selmer Mortgages