Independent Appeal
Avid News Freak

Lexington, TN

#81 Nov 1, 2012
McNairy County News does censor themselves to the strong arming of a couple of "wanna be big shots". Therefore, MCN is not considered a reliable news source. I very much agree with the above post. Report the news as it happens or resort to writing children's books. Independent Appeal is very professional and prints the news we want to read about. They don't hide things or omit stories. Sorry, but the Independent Appeal is a great paper.
Abc

Jackson, TN

#82 Nov 1, 2012
That's quite funny. I would never put the words "professional" and "independent appeal" in the same sentence. If you think they're professional, you need to take a look at any newspaper outside this county. Their writing may or may not be the truth, but their writing style completely butchers the English language. Newspapers are traditionally written at a sixth grade reading level. The IA has at least two more years of school before they get there.
Fzzy

Brownsville, TN

#83 Nov 1, 2012
It is McNairy County Independent Appeal. There is no demand.
Truth

United States

#84 Nov 1, 2012
Abc wrote:
That's quite funny. I would never put the words "professional" and "independent appeal" in the same sentence. If you think they're professional, you need to take a look at any newspaper outside this county. Their writing may or may not be the truth, but their writing style completely butchers the English language. Newspapers are traditionally written at a sixth grade reading level. The IA has at least two more years of school before they get there.
When the majority of the people in Mcnairy county read at a fourth grade level, it's a perfect fit.

You might think I'm joking but next time your at Wal Mart, just look around at the customers. I can almost guarantee that the majority doesn't read and comprehend what they've read over a fourth grade level. Sad, but true.
chill out

United States

#85 Nov 2, 2012
Everyone is in an uproar over what the paper done. They did nothing wrong but report the news. I saw it on their fb page not long after the wreck happen so someone had to have called and gave them the scoop. Thy have posted many wrecks over the years. Just a few weeks prior they posted Tanners pic in the paper. They didn't put his criminal history in there because he didn't have one. What ppl fail to understand is that they have done it in the past only this time it was done to a white person. They have not done anything that wasn't in their constitutional limits. If you don't like what they print then don't buy it but bashing them won't bring your friend back nor erase what or what he didn't do in his life.
Been There

Lexington, TN

#86 Nov 2, 2012
chill out wrote:
Everyone is in an uproar over what the paper done. They did nothing wrong but report the news. I saw it on their fb page not long after the wreck happen so someone had to have called and gave them the scoop. Thy have posted many wrecks over the years. Just a few weeks prior they posted Tanners pic in the paper. They didn't put his criminal history in there because he didn't have one. What ppl fail to understand is that they have done it in the past only this time it was done to a white person. They have not done anything that wasn't in their constitutional limits. If you don't like what they print then don't buy it but bashing them won't bring your friend back nor erase what or what he didn't do in his life.
Independent Appeal did not do anything to anyone except report a story about a wreck resulting in a fatality which involves a Selmer resident. There is no way to sugar coat the circumstances leading up to that accident and I personally think the Independent Appeal did a very professional job in doing just that. I agree, read some of the local papers from down in Mississippi where the wreck happened. Much more graphic and detailed. It is only a small handful bashing the Independent Appeal for covering the story (maybe 5 or 6 people). They don't want to buy they paper, don't buy paper.
funny

Brownsville, TN

#87 Nov 2, 2012
Been There wrote:
<quoted text>Independent Appeal did not do anything to anyone except report a story about a wreck resulting in a fatality which involves a Selmer resident. There is no way to sugar coat the circumstances leading up to that accident and I personally think the Independent Appeal did a very professional job in doing just that. I agree, read some of the local papers from down in Mississippi where the wreck happened. Much more graphic and detailed. It is only a small handful bashing the Independent Appeal for covering the story (maybe 5 or 6 people). They don't want to buy they paper, don't buy paper.
The wreck did not happen in McNairy County and all that is un called for. That stuff doesn't matter after all is said and done. Not the first time this rag of a paper has disrespected families.
ANC

Jackson, TN

#88 Nov 2, 2012
The I-Appeal should print an apology to the friends and family of the dead person who's name they slandered on their front page! It's not the first time they have one this. The article was pathetic and disrespectful.
Katherine

Palo Cedro, CA

#89 Nov 2, 2012
I don't think people who work for the paper should respond to the comments posted here. The community should have their say, the paper has already had theirs. Tacky!
Truth

United States

#90 Nov 2, 2012
ANC wrote:
The I-Appeal should print an apology to the friends and family of the dead person who's name they slandered on their front page! It's not the first time they have one this. The article was pathetic and disrespectful.
Print an apology for what? Nothing they printed was slanderous. Unfortunately it was the truth. Like it or not Mr. Ward had made himself a "public figure" by his criminal behavior. When you make yourself known by criminal activity to every law enforcement officer in several counties, you are a public figure. So when a local public figure dies, why not print the details in the local paper, even if it happened elsewhere.

Good job Independent Appeal
too bad

United States

#91 Nov 2, 2012
if I know Tom Evans he will go under in another year. the independent is the paper for Mcnairy county

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#92 Nov 2, 2012
I believe All papers should NOT put pictures and stories of a accident on the front page of the paper that involve a death. The family is going through enough without having a picture of the accident on the front page! If a paper feels the need to report an accident, at least put the story inside the paper and DO NOT put the picture of the automobile,the person last their life in. There are tactful ways of reporting the news!
John Q Public

United States

#93 Nov 2, 2012
Independent Appeal has been around forevever and will always report the news with facts and truth. That what makes them the #1 source for local news. Great paper!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94 Nov 2, 2012
lso, I would like to add...I did not know either one of the young men that lost their life in the automobile accidents the last few weeks. Seeing the pictures on the front page bothered me and I can only imagine how the families felt if they saw them.

I also thought, it was unnecessary to print some of things in the article in this week's paper about the latest accident. A young man lost his life, exactly what was the purpose behind printing mistakes he may have made. How did those things apply to the accident itself? Maybe people would feel differently if every bad decision or mistake they made in their life was printed in their obituary or front page of the new's paper, bet that would sale some papers!
SHAMEFUL

United States

#95 Nov 2, 2012
onlinetopic wrote:
lso, I would like to add...I did not know either one of the young men that lost their life in the automobile accidents the last few weeks. Seeing the pictures on the front page bothered me and I can only imagine how the families felt if they saw them.
I also thought, it was unnecessary to print some of things in the article in this week's paper about the latest accident. A young man lost his life, exactly what was the purpose behind printing mistakes he may have made. How did those things apply to the accident itself? Maybe people would feel differently if every bad decision or mistake they made in their life was printed in their obituary or front page of the new's paper, bet that would sale some papers!
My thoughts exactly. There was no need for anyone's past deeds to be published, a young man lost his life, his family and friends are grieving. Exactly how did that lengthy article and photo prove anything to anyone? A young life was lost and I fail to see any purpose or justification whatsoever in the article. It's a sad day indeed, when we fail to have compassion for our fellow man. I certainly hope that whoever made the decision to print the article and photos takes a long, hard look at themselves and their family members as well and ask themselves if they are pure and perfect enough to condemn someone else.
Funny

Mount Juliet, TN

#96 Nov 2, 2012
SHAMEFUL wrote:
<quoted text>
My thoughts exactly. There was no need for anyone's past deeds to be published, a young man lost his life, his family and friends are grieving. Exactly how did that lengthy article and photo prove anything to anyone? A young life was lost and I fail to see any purpose or justification whatsoever in the article. It's a sad day indeed, when we fail to have compassion for our fellow man. I certainly hope that whoever made the decision to print the article and photos takes a long, hard look at themselves and their family members as well and ask themselves if they are pure and perfect enough to condemn someone else.
I guess when Mary Winkler dies, there will be no mention of her dead husband. Lol
Sandra

Nashville, TN

#97 Nov 2, 2012
onlinetopic wrote:

Maybe you need to start reading Readers Digest. Lots of touchy feely stories in there.
nopoint

Maury City, TN

#98 Nov 2, 2012
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess when Mary Winkler dies, there will be no mention of her dead husband. Lol
Two different things....what would be the point? Everyone forgets there are innocent family members, children and friends that are hurt by unnecessary things put in newspapers. Papers can print the news but don't cross that line and bring things up that should be left in the past.

Would you want your family and friends to have to suffer for your mistakes?
Trudy Smith

United States

#99 Nov 2, 2012
SHAMEFUL wrote:
<quoted text>My thoughts exactly. There was no need for anyone's past deeds to be published, a young man lost his life, his family and friends are grieving. Exactly how did that lengthy article and photo prove anything to anyone? A young life was lost and I fail to see any purpose or justification whatsoever in the article. It's a sad day indeed, when we fail to have compassion for our fellow man. I certainly hope that whoever made the decision to print the article and photos takes a long, hard look at themselves and their family members as well and ask themselves if they are pure and perfect enough to condemn someone else.
Sounds to me like you're trying to condemn someone yourself.

If you don't like the paper don't buy it.
amen

Bolivar, TN

#100 Nov 2, 2012
Ithought the same thing when i read the accident article. I had a sudden gush of sadness come over me thinking about the family of this young man.his past deeds was un called for very disrespectful news reporting....i mean very disrespectful!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Myranda Collins (Feb '12) 4 hr me 47
Gyms in SELMER 10 hr Mac daddy 2
Alone on the holiday 15 hr Thankful 17
Screwed over Nov 20 Goodness 8
What is the latest with Mary Winkler? (Jun '11) Nov 20 MYKEL 275
What about Kara lambert Nov 19 Timothy Johnson 9
Busted Nov 19 Buttly McFartStink 10

Selmer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance