Who would make a good police chief?

Posted in the Selmer Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
What if

Birmingham, AL

#1 Feb 3, 2012
So everybody is quick to say we need a new police chief but who would make a good one? New outside person, somebody that works for SPD? List names...
Concerned Resident

Birmingham, AL

#3 Feb 3, 2012
I normally don't post but I've been thinking about who would make a good chief reading all the other topics involving selmer police. So here are my 3 choices but not sure which order I would pic them.

Kim Holley: He had been around forever and a great guy. I think he has a college degree and is very well respected. Only concern is he has worked for SPD for so long it may end up being the same thing as now.

Byron Maxedon: He has always done a great job and very polite. He now works for Jackson PD and has gotten away from all the politics here in Selmer for a while. He does not have a college degree.

Brent Blankley: He went by Boo in highschool and was a great guy He now works for Tuscaloosa PD. When the tornados hit Tuscaloosa his pictures were all over the news working in the disaster areas. He has a college degree

Roger Rickman: He has been around a long time and knows his stuff. I don't think has a degree. Very well respected. Not sure if it would be something he would want he is pretty low key

All of these people are from Selmer and think any one of them would make a great chief!
Elizbeth

Jackson, TN

#4 Feb 3, 2012
Concerned Resident wrote:
I normally don't post but I've been thinking about who would make a good chief reading all the other topics involving selmer police. So here are my 3 choices but not sure which order I would pic them.
Kim Holley: He had been around forever and a great guy. I think he has a college degree and is very well respected. Only concern is he has worked for SPD for so long it may end up being the same thing as now.
Byron Maxedon: He has always done a great job and very polite. He now works for Jackson PD and has gotten away from all the politics here in Selmer for a while. He does not have a college degree.
Brent Blankley: He went by Boo in highschool and was a great guy He now works for Tuscaloosa PD. When the tornados hit Tuscaloosa his pictures were all over the news working in the disaster areas. He has a college degree
Roger Rickman: He has been around a long time and knows his stuff. I don't think has a degree. Very well respected. Not sure if it would be something he would want he is pretty low key
All of these people are from Selmer and think any one of them would make a great chief!
The position of Chief of Police should be elected by the citizens of Selmer. Selmer Mayor and Board of Alderman are just too busy with many other pressing issues. An elected chief would be hired and fired by the voters. The majorty of citizens want to live right and want others to live right. I saw no women on your list for Chief.many citys have women that are Chief and appears they do ok. Thank You.
Concerned Resident

Birmingham, AL

#5 Feb 3, 2012
I did not put any women on my list because I do not know any that would make a good chief. The 4 I put all have experience in their job and i believe would all do great as chiefs.2 of them have the bigger city experience and 2 do not. They all range in age as well. I think it would need to be somebody with a tie to Selmer and all of these do and I know them all personally. I notice you didn't post anybody. If you want to elect then who would you want?
Elizbeth

Jackson, TN

#6 Feb 3, 2012
I did not put any women on my list because I do not know any that would make a good chief. The 4 I put all have experience in their job and i believe would all do great as chiefs.2 of them have the bigger city experience and 2 do not. They all range in age as well. I think it would need to be somebody with a tie to Selmer and all of these do and I know them all personally. I notice you didn't post anybody. If you want to elect then who would you want?
I dont think it should be anyone from the dept,however if there were elections they would have the choice to seek the office. Reason i think it should be someone outside the box,well from day one,he dont like me,he likes so,so more,he gives me sht detail, Should they choose to not run,,well we know they dont want to be Chief and the elected Chief would also know. Stop this running and crying to a mayor or board of alderman. Like BROWN NOSE.
Concerned Resident

Birmingham, AL

#7 Feb 3, 2012
Elizbeth wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think it should be anyone from the dept,however if there were elections they would have the choice to seek the office. Reason i think it should be someone outside the box,well from day one,he dont like me,he likes so,so more,he gives me sht detail, Should they choose to not run,,well we know they dont want to be Chief and the elected Chief would also know. Stop this running and crying to a mayor or board of alderman. Like BROWN NOSE.
And have an open town meeting with each applicant so everybody can hear the applicants qualifications and answer questions. Let the people know what they are getting.
Elizbeth

Jackson, TN

#8 Feb 3, 2012
<quoted text>
And have an open town meeting with each applicant so everybody can hear the applicants qualifications and answer questions. Let the people know what they are getting.
You say applicant,,so you are not for the Chief being elected.

Should have meeting for anyone seeking alderman and mayor,,but it dont happen. The different Clubs,Organizations,Selmer Business Alliance should have these meetings,with Q/A from the citizens. But dont rock the boat.
Concerned Resident

Birmingham, AL

#9 Feb 3, 2012
I believe people should apply for the job. If you do an election like its done for a Sheriff then you will only get local people that currently work for Selmer Police Department or somebody who people like but that have no clue about law enforcement. People need to be able to apply from other cities and states. That is how it's done all across the United States. That's how you get the best person for the job but if you do an election you get only current residents. Sheriff Buck is an exception and is doing a great job but he had law enforcement experience from somewhere else. I can understand your point about wanting the citizens to have control but they elect the mayor and council who speaks for them. Police Chiefs are never elected they are always appointed.
Elizbeth

Jackson, TN

#10 Feb 3, 2012
I believe people should apply for the job. If you do an election like its done for a Sheriff then you will only get local people that currently work for Selmer Police Department or somebody who people like but that have no clue about law enforcement. People need to be able to apply from other cities and states. That is how it's done all across the United States. That's how you get the best person for the job but if you do an election you get only current residents. Sheriff Buck is an exception and is doing a great job but he had law enforcement experience from somewhere else. I can understand your point about wanting the citizens to have control but they elect the mayor and council who speaks for them. Police Chiefs are never elected they are always appointed.
Many citys the Chief is elected. Corinth Ms. elects the chief. Anyone wanting to run for Chief should move or live inside Selmer.

I will will wait a bit to judge Sheriff Buck,,J.O Gray was to be a breath of fresh air for McNairy County..McNairy county has been open for improvement many years at the sheriff dept.

This entire discussion is about mayor and alderman. Appears most citizens are disgusted with their actions.
voter

Jackson, TN

#11 Feb 3, 2012
i agree any one of these men would be ok but if it were put to a vote, i'd vote for roger
Moon Dog

Selmer, TN

#12 Feb 2, 2013
When is the next election for Chief?
Voter

Jackson, TN

#13 Feb 2, 2013
Moon Dog wrote:
When is the next election for Chief?
There is no election for Chief of Police for Selmer TN. The police chief is appointed, as recommended by the mayor and approved by board of alderman.
citizen 2

Jackson, TN

#14 Feb 2, 2013
you named some good men as chief and all would be qualified but to much concern about a degree. nothing wrong with a degree but common sense is more usefull. i know a lot of people with degrees & that is all they have. i think all we need as chief,is fair and honest and roger rickman fits that description better than anyone i know on the police dept.to bring someone from out of town is nonsense, we did that with our last fire chief and he was a joke but an election is not a bad idea
defacto

Woodville, TX

#15 Feb 2, 2013
No one who is established in or has family members in power posisitions. All SPD members or exmembers VOID. New blood ! All relatives associated with city or county government VOID. This would be a fresh start.
Voter

Jackson, TN

#16 Feb 2, 2013
Is there a x mayor wanting to take a try at Chief?
citizen 2

Jackson, TN

#17 Feb 4, 2013
defacto wrote:
No one who is established in or has family members in power posisitions. All SPD members or exmembers VOID. New blood ! All relatives associated with city or county government VOID. This would be a fresh start.
why is new blood better than the old. dillingham(don't know if that is how he spelled his name) was new blood in the fire dept and you couldn't have found a bigger idiot if you looked the world over
defacto

Crosby, TX

#18 Feb 4, 2013
citizen 2 wrote:
<quoted text>why is new blood better than the old. dillingham(don't know if that is how he spelled his name) was new blood in the fire dept and you couldn't have found a bigger idiot if you looked the world over
i'll take your word on that guy. Same ole ideas get the same ole results . We have established people that cant fill the position but only thing thats accomplished different is the face of the person. That goes for every position in mcnairy county. But this is only wishful thinking ,it will not change any . Look at the surrounding cities ,some grow but most are stale & dying off.
commonsense

New York, NY

#19 Feb 5, 2013
In response to the question at the top of this topic,....

LT. JUSTIN POWERS

There would be NONE more honest and trustworthy!!!!!!
Anonymous

Corinth, MS

#20 Feb 5, 2013
pee wee sowell would make a good one
Jimmy

Louisville, MS

#21 Feb 5, 2013
Elizbeth wrote:
<quoted text>
The position of Chief of Police should be elected by the citizens of Selmer. Selmer Mayor and Board of Alderman are just too busy with many other pressing issues. An elected chief would be hired and fired by the voters. The majorty of citizens want to live right and want others to live right. I saw no women on your list for Chief.many citys have women that are Chief and appears they do ok. Thank You.
Where are the qualified women?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Freedom of speech? Connector Castings #2 3 min Deadend 9
them damn wallers 2 hr bree 3
lashawn adams 2 hr bree 5
Poisoning Dogs 2 hr farmer 32
Ken seaton or Pamela d-rogers (Mar '13) 2 hr judyhite 14
what happened to the married cheating couples p... 8 hr Depressed barndrunk 6
State Farm 11 hr The farm 4

Freeze Watch for McNairy County was issued at March 26 at 4:14PM CDT

Selmer Dating
Find my Match