hmmmmmm

Grove City, OH

#102 Feb 20, 2010
has this discussion petered out?
Ray

Beech Bluff, TN

#103 Feb 20, 2010
yes this discussion has petered out...You may now proceed to get the facts on Tom Dooley as to see how he was Hung????
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#104 Mar 4, 2010
I just finished reading Dwana's book and also most of the posts on this website and others. It seems to me, that all of you just want to find out the truth. You all have the same goal, why don't you pool your resources, evidence, documents, statements, pictures, etc. and give them to a forensic person to study. Crime scene science has come along way since the 60' and 70's, maybe an unbiased scientist could make some sense out of all of this.

Since: Jan 10

dyer

#105 Mar 5, 2010
This is the most fascinating thread I have ever had the pleasure to read. My former father-in-law was born and raised in selmer and bethal springs and knew Pusser. He always said there was more to the story than the public knew but he wouldnever elaborate. Im sorry to say he passed away without ever explaining what he meant. I am glad Mike is doing this. Maybe thats what my father-in-law was talking about.
Bud

Rogers, AR

#106 Mar 5, 2010
misslouise wrote:
This is the most fascinating thread I have ever had the pleasure to read. My former father-in-law was born and raised in selmer and bethal springs and knew Pusser. He always said there was more to the story than the public knew but he wouldnever elaborate. Im sorry to say he passed away without ever explaining what he meant. I am glad Mike is doing this. Maybe thats what my father-in-law was talking about.
If you like reading about this, type the word crimemyths in you Internet search box. Great forum.., great discussion about Buford and the state line.
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#107 Mar 5, 2010
I've been to Crimemyths and this site is just as fascinating, if not more so. I guess the biggest mystery for me is the ambush on Buford and Pauline. I am a woman and I believe in my heart that she was leaving him and he caught her, before she could go. There were obviously more than the two people there, so I am guessing that it turned really ugly and Pauline's boyfriend was a bad shot. If she was leaving that would explain why the kids weren't at home and her bags were packed. It was actually a good story to say that they were going on vacation the next day it would explain why the bags were packed. Quick thinking on his part. I imagine after the bullets quit flying the boyfriend lit out for the hills, never to be heard from again. If you came up against a national hero and lost, that would be the smart thing to do. Dwanna just kind of glazed over this in her book, but she did say that her dad never explained his version to her. He probably didn't know what to say to her, would you?
mikeelam

Rogers, AR

#108 Mar 5, 2010
There is absolutely no indication that Pauline had a boyfriend there at the ambush. I know of no one including the TBI that shares that theory.

Two basic stories exist about the ambush. One is that it was a hit on Buford that went bad as Pauline was with him that morning. The other is that Buford took Pauline out to New hope Road to be eliminated as she had threatened to talk to authorities about his corruption.

Many locals claim that Buford did indeed accept payoffs. What would have happened if Pauline had talked to the authorities as she allegedly threatened to? If she had, we might not be talking about him as a national hero, but something quiet different indeed.

Pauline's boyfriend? I really don't think so.
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#109 Mar 6, 2010
Ok - probably not a boyfriend, but if Buford had women as you say, then it is a direct possibility that she had one. Also, as a woman if I was separated from my husband whom I was supposed to be afraid of, why would I be alone with him on a dark lonely road at 4:30 in the morning? Also, I grew up in the 60's and if he had political dreams (after all he could only be sheriff for 6 years), you either had to be married or widowed to win elections. If Pauline was dead set in divorcing him, then he had to be a widower. Also, I agree with you in that, if Buford never left the car that night, why was there blood spatter on the hood of his car and part of his jaw in the bushes?
mikeelam

Rogers, AR

#110 Mar 6, 2010
cgg wrote:
Ok - probably not a boyfriend, but if Buford had women as you say, then it is a direct possibility that she had one. Also, as a woman if I was separated from my husband whom I was supposed to be afraid of, why would I be alone with him on a dark lonely road at 4:30 in the morning? Also, I grew up in the 60's and if he had political dreams (after all he could only be sheriff for 6 years), you either had to be married or widowed to win elections. If Pauline was dead set in divorcing him, then he had to be a widower. Also, I agree with you in that, if Buford never left the car that night, why was there blood spatter on the hood of his car and part of his jaw in the bushes?
Many suggest that their infidelity was on part of the problem. Many plainly state that Buford was accepting payoffs. If Pauline threatened to leave Buford, take the children and report Buford's corruption, then who has motive to get rid of Pauline?
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#111 Mar 6, 2010
Exactly!! But it would be nice if there was someone who actually knows what happened that night. She might not have even been killed on New Hope Road. She was probably dead before she got there. He might have been trying to set up the ambush scene. It just amazes me that he was a cop and wouldn't or couldn't identify the shooter.
Jim Man

Madison, WI

#112 Mar 7, 2010
Ok, so if Buford Pusser shot his wife and was the actor behind the ambush why didn't anyone (the investigators) call him on it. How did he end up with a shot in the face?

I would love to see this all come out.
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#113 Mar 7, 2010
Well, let's see. He was the sheriff of McNairy County (back then the sheriff ran the whole county), in some counties the sheriff could even tell the citizens how to vote in elections. He could pretty much say or do anything he wanted to do and get away with it. Who was gonna call him on it? It is obvious that there was someone else at the ambush scene or Buford wouldn't have been shot in the face. Buford was a sharp dresser and cared about his looks, he would not have shot himself in the face. Let's look at it from Buford's position, if his wife was leaving him and going to blow the whistle on him he had no choice, but to kill her. And I guess it has been proven (according to what I have read) that he was definately on the take so he couldn't let her blow the whistle. I don't believe that there were three other people in the other car, two of them hit me? They obviously killing wasn't their day job.
mikeelam

Rogers, AR

#114 Mar 7, 2010
Jim Man wrote:
Ok, so if Buford Pusser shot his wife and was the actor behind the ambush why didn't anyone (the investigators) call him on it. How did he end up with a shot in the face?
I would love to see this all come out.
Buford is alleged to have been taking payoffs from a number of people. Skeet Adkins claimed for years (and in the press) that he and his wife had paid Buford $150.00 a month in order to operate Cathrine's Club in Selmer "outside the law". Betty Sparks was alleged by her brother in law to have paid $500.00 a month for The Anchor Club in Selmer to do the same. The Shamrock was alleged to have been paying $1000.00 a month for certain such privileges and just before Louise Hathcock was killed, Buford was said to be demanding as much as 1500,00 a month from her. Paul David English said the going rate to sell moonshine was $1.00 per gallon. Pusser was said to be collecting money from many club owners, moonshiners and bootleggers alike. These are just some of the people who have told of paying. The problem was, none of these people could report Buford's alleged dishonesty and corruption to a higher authority because they were involved in an illegal activity as they were paying Buford basically a form of protection money.

Pauline had grown tired of Buford playing around on her, Buford is alleged to have had several girlfriends. W.R. Morris even wrote about one of these women in his book "The State Line Mob".

Pauline had told Buford that she was going to leave him and report his activities to the TBI and / or the FBI. This is something that Buford could not allow to happen as it would bring down not only him, but everyone he had allowed to operate outside the law as well.

Pauline's best friend has reported that Buford and Pauline were separated at the time of the ambush.
It has been alleged that Buford forced Pauline to go with him the morning of the ambush. Some suggest that Pauline, while resisting, shot Buford in the face with a handgun. Others suggest that Buford took Pauline out to New Hope Road to be eliminated before she could talk to authorities as she had threatened to do. It is theorized by some that the ambush was staged and that Buford intended to give himself a superficial wound to the face so it would appear that he was the intended target that just happened to survive while his wife was killed. Some suggest that Buford suffered a more severe injury than he had intended.

Still, others suggest that Buford was to meet some of his associates on New Hope Road and they were to eliminate Pauline and wound Buford, but they double crossed him and actually attempted to murder him.

One thing that is certain, Buford's version of how the ambush took place can not explain away the blood spatter on the hood of his car, why the shell casings at the second ambush site were all found in a very contained area on the shoulder of the road opposite where Buford had stopped his car, or how a Cadillac, using no headlights in the pre-dawn hours, could catch up with Buford in only seven tenths of a mile between the church where the alleged ambush party was hiding and the bridge where the first shots were fired.

The moving "Walking Tall" embellished Buford's story. It is not a factual movie. While the movie was often billed as a "true story" the disclaimer in the movie state that the movie was suggested by "certain" events in the life of Buford Pusser. Even those events were not shown with any real accuracy.
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#115 Mar 8, 2010
I haven't researched this, but you have extensively evidently. I am only going on what I have read. Common sense would dictate the scenario you just described. I tend to agree with everything you have said. As I said earlier I grew up in the 60's and was raised by a father who was also a cop (although a relatively honest one). It is hard for those who haven't had experience with certain law officer types to understand what actually goes on unless you have lived it. Also, back in the 60's and early 70's the world was a different place. People took care of their own and kept their mouths shut. I firmly believe that the people who are talking to you now, after all of these years, are telling you the truth. They don't have anything to loose and probably just enjoy talking about the "good old days". I just wish someone who could positively prove or had actual knowledge of the ambush would talk to you and end the mystery once and for all.
mikeelam

Rogers, AR

#116 Mar 11, 2010
cgg wrote:
I haven't researched this, but you have extensively evidently. I am only going on what I have read. Common sense would dictate the scenario you just described. I tend to agree with everything you have said. As I said earlier I grew up in the 60's and was raised by a father who was also a cop (although a relatively honest one). It is hard for those who haven't had experience with certain law officer types to understand what actually goes on unless you have lived it. Also, back in the 60's and early 70's the world was a different place. People took care of their own and kept their mouths shut. I firmly believe that the people who are talking to you now, after all of these years, are telling you the truth. They don't have anything to loose and probably just enjoy talking about the "good old days". I just wish someone who could positively prove or had actual knowledge of the ambush would talk to you and end the mystery once and for all.
I too wish if anyone has actual knowledge of the ambush, that they would talk to me as well. Too many things that we have been told about how the ambush took place just don't add up. For instance W.R. named four men that were alleged to have been in the ambush vehicle, yet in a letter written by TBI Investigator Warren Jones to Special Agent Jack Hill of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, Jones stated that Buford indicated there were only three people in the car. Buford said that the only person he saw well was the trigger man who was in the front passenger's seat, but that he did not recognize him as anyone he knew. He did say he would recognize him again if he saw him.

For all of the claims that Kirksey Nix Jr was the alleged trigger man, Buford was never able to positively identify him, either from photos or in person.

Like I said, there's too many things about the ambush that don't add up...Buford's claims before the ambush that he would be stalked and killed, the blood spatter on the hood of Pusser's car even though the Pusser's were shot while inside the car. The shell casings all found in a pile at the second ambush site, how the ambush party managed to catch up with Buford on New Hope Road so easily. The Pusser's separation, why Pauline was with him that morning, the men at Eastview in a later model Chevy with Oklahoma tags seen trading guns with Pusser just hours before the ambush.

This is still an open case with lots of questions.
Jim Man

Madison, WI

#117 Mar 17, 2010
Will any of this ever come out? I just find it odd that there has been so much good talked about Pusser yet reading this makes me ask why?

I have read every publised book and read all of the internet listings--still hard to believe that he killed his wife and NO ONE was smart enough at the time to put it together.

I also find it strange that Pusser's daughter talks Buford up but doesn't say much about her mother. Buford's step children Mike and Dianne have nothing to do with Dwana, why?

If all of these things were happening to Buford why would he allow his wife to ride with him on a call. These days that would not fly. Had his wife rode with him before?

I also find it strange that Dwana says she still carries a weapon (gun) but her license plate is PUSSER.

I can't make heads of tails out of this. I mean I wasn't around in those days but for sake--someone should have known Buford was no good and talked.
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#118 Mar 17, 2010
I for one agree about Dwanna. She mentioned as if in passing that her dad never explained to her what actually happened to her mother that night. Does anyone else find that strange? I would have drove my dad crazy with questions until he explained it all. You know she had to have heard all of the rumors and stories. I realize the she loved her dad and is maybe trying to protect his image. But if she ever tells all she knows it will also ruin his image and her royalties will go you know where. Does anyone know why her step brother and sister avoid her? She didn't mention that in her book either.
mikeelam

Rogers, AR

#119 Mar 18, 2010
Jim Man wrote:
Will any of this ever come out? I just find it odd that there has been so much good talked about Pusser yet reading this makes me ask why?
I have read every publised book and read all of the internet listings--still hard to believe that he killed his wife and NO ONE was smart enough at the time to put it together.
I also find it strange that Pusser's daughter talks Buford up but doesn't say much about her mother. Buford's step children Mike and Dianne have nothing to do with Dwana, why?
If all of these things were happening to Buford why would he allow his wife to ride with him on a call. These days that would not fly. Had his wife rode with him before?
I also find it strange that Dwana says she still carries a weapon (gun) but her license plate is PUSSER.
I can't make heads of tails out of this. I mean I wasn't around in those days but for sake--someone should have known Buford was no good and talked.
All of the books that have been published don't even come close to telling the real story. The books that W.R. Morris wrote were weak on detail and substance and written to promote Buford, not to find the truth. Morris absolutely butchered the truth in some events. Dwana's book is more about her relationship with her dad, not about the corruption that was McNairy County at the time.

I think some people had figured out how the ambush probably went down. Some were not in a position do do anything about it. Some who figured it out saw how political the situation was and had to walk carefully and in the end didn't get the assistance they needed to bring the investigation to a close. Still, there some who just didn't care that much because they didn't understand the dynamics of the ambush in the first place.

I have visited with a number of people who say that the Pusser's had separated which indeed does raise the question about why Pauline was with Buford that morning. There was absolutely no reason he should have taken her on that call because of he danger involved. Some said Pauline insisted on going because she feared for Buford's safety. OK, look how that finally worked itself out...., she got killed. Buford took a lot of secrets about the ambush to his grave. I don't believe it happened anything like he said it did.

Dwana does and says a lot of things that don't make sense to me. For instance, there is one interview she did where she states that Buford not only had to deal with the state line crowd but the mob from Chicago and Detroit as well. As much as I have researched this story, I have never seen any signs on the Chicago and Detroit mobs involvement in affairs in McNairy County. I often wonder where that came from. More embellishment of the legend perhaps? Even Morris didn't make claims like that.
mikeelam

Rogers, AR

#120 Mar 18, 2010
cgg wrote:
I for one agree about Dwanna. She mentioned as if in passing that her dad never explained to her what actually happened to her mother that night. Does anyone else find that strange? I would have drove my dad crazy with questions until he explained it all. You know she had to have heard all of the rumors and stories. I realize the she loved her dad and is maybe trying to protect his image. But if she ever tells all she knows it will also ruin his image and her royalties will go you know where. Does anyone know why her step brother and sister avoid her? She didn't mention that in her book either.
The kids lost their mother then Dwana lost her dad. Dwana was Buford's only biological child as Mike and Diane were his stepchildren. Buford left just about everything to his mother Helen and Dwana. Could part of the answer start here?

Don't forget that Diane was much older than Dwana and Mike so one would assume she was more aware of what was happening inside and possibly outside the family with Buford. It has been said that Diane didn't want her own character portrayed in the movie "WALKING TALL", which came along a few years after Pauline's death. Makes you wonder what she really knows about the real story that she wanted to separate herself from it.
cgg

Jefferson City, MO

#121 Mar 18, 2010
Well, if whatever is wrong with Diane is life threatening, then maybe she will tell her story before she dies. And wouldn't it be great if she knew a lot?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristen and Amanda Vandiver (Dec '16) 1 hr Angel eyes 16
Bob Gray 10 hr you r right 8
How Parents Divorce Affected Me 10 hr Counce Guy 3
Just Because You're Not Cheating, Doesn't Mean ... 12 hr If Shoe Fits 11
Selmer pay to play Sun Puford 1
Lukes accident Sun The mad pooper 2
Advice Sat Piggyback Mt Man 47

Selmer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance