First Prev
of 28
Next Last

Since: Jul 09

Rogers, AR

#1 Jul 17, 2009
Conspiracy Theories...lets see..., Buford didn't carry a big stick. As a matter of fact when Pusser allegedly robbed the Plantation Club with the help of two friends, it was one of those friends, not Pusser himself, that was alleged to have used a blunt object to beat W.O. Hathcock unconscious. And while we are on that subject allow me to point out that Hathcock was alone in the Club..., he didn't have ten buddies to help him fight off Pusser like the movie "WALKING TALL" showed.
During his trial, Pusser denied even being on the area but years later allowed the "WALKING TALL" version of the story to be told with Buford going into the club alone with only a stick to fight ten or tweleve state liners. Pusser played BOTH stories, one for his trial and one for his movie. What is heroic or legendaty about that I might ask?
Next lets look at Pusser's gunshot wounds. All to the left side of his body, all but one were superficial and there were never any witnesses to any of the shootings. Did I mention that Pusser was right handed? Hmmm???
The one serious wound he did have occurred during the alleged ambush of August 12, 1967. I say alleged as I, like so many others, am not convinced there really was an ambush. Pusser alleged, or allowed us to believe, that a car parked behind the Methodist Church on New Hope Road was loaded with four professional hit men. Pusser allowed us to believe that as he passed the church those four hit men drove that Cadillac in the dark, driving without headlights while negotiating curves and was not only able to catch up with him in a mere seven tenths of a mile but launch an attack on his vehicle as well.
Of course Pusser stated that he "sped" off..., but to where? Both cars were headed the same direction so what on earth made Pusser think that he had lost then in the next 2.1 miles he drove?
He claimed he stopped to check on Pauline who had already been shot in the head once. He claimed the ambush vehicle pulled along side him and opened fire again. Pauline was shot in the head a second time and Buford was shot in the chin.
Did Pusser really expect people to believe all of this? I mean four professional hit men less than six feet away and they shoot and kill Pauline but leave the intended target only wounded?...What kind of hit men were these anyway? If you believe Pusser's story, these were apparently excellent drivers but they couldn't shoot worth a darn. An tell me, why does it take four professional hit men to kill one sheriff? Why did they have only a single M1 carbine to use? How could they miss big ole Buford so many times from six feet away, but hit petite wife twice in the head? Why were all of the shell casings found at the second ambush site on the south shoulder of the road rather than in the middle of the road? Why were all the shell casings found in one small area? Why were none found at the first ambush site? Why was Pauline even with Buford that morning? If there had been threats on his life, why was Buford allowing her to go on a distrubance call out in the middle of nowhere? Weren't Buford and Pauline separated at the time of the ambush? Hmmm???
How is it that Buford allegedly named some of the killers but no one was ever arrested. Couldn't Buford convince the TBI who he saw in that ambush vehicle? When he finally established who they werewhy didn't Buford or anyone else make an arrsst? Why was Buford never polygraphed and shouldn't an autopsy have been perfromed on Pauline to establish the actual cause of death?

We haven't even discuused Pusser's stab wounds, the Hathcock shooting and so many other things...yet.
Veteran Cop

Osterville, MA

#2 Jul 24, 2009
Hey Mike, I bet you think the Moon landing in 1969 was done in a Hollywood movie studio too, lol. I was listening to a special on the passing of news icon Walter Cronkite. They say he said once and I'll paraphrase, how the news had changed in that his reporting was always based on facts, solid facts and unbiased but today many people get their news from internet blogs which are highly inaccurate and based on rumor, inuendo and heresay all spun by the blog master and his/her personal opinions and/or beliefs. Hmmmmm...
If Sheriff Pusser was as bad as you say than why was he elected for three consecutive terms? He also received more than enough 'write-in' votes to be elected constable. Now you'll say but he lost when he ran for sheriff again and I'll say was it 'politics' that cost him the election or the citizens just didn't need him anymore and were upset about the filming location of Walking Tall or maybe a little bit of both....
Sheriff Pusser didn't like his portrayal of almost always having to rely on a stick since he was physically capable with his fists if need be. Again that was Hollywood dramatization of getting the message across that this guy did not carry a gun for a year and a half so the 'stick' got this point across and was inspired from him once using a fence post to drop six men. By the way, the movies never showed him fightng off 12 men like you wrote in one of your posts.
Again, if you are law enforcement and if you ever worked narcotics, then you know you are only as good and successful as the peole on the street who work with you-informants or 'snitches' have you. Berry Junior Smith was Sheriff Pusser's informant and you know as wlll as I do, you bend a little for your informants. Don't get me wrong, you bend within reason but you do bend. There is, of course, a line you don't cross. It's reality, it's just the way it is or you won't get the job done and keep people safe.
I have followed your posts previously on everything you wrote above, stabbings, Hatchock shooting, etc. I also read various explainations from named sources on another site I stumbled upon and I found the explainations quite impressive and credible, including the Hatcock shooting. What kind of turned me off from your reporting is you went overboard, I mean next you'll have Buford Pusser as the second gunmen on the grassy knowl in Dallas in '63. I can just see you stating that the photo of the figure of the alleged 'police officer' wearing a so-called 'badge' has been enhanced and show it's actually an Adamsville Chief of Police badge! Wasn't Buford Adamsville Police Chief in 1963? lol. Mike, what is your agenda? Don't tell me it's seeking the truth because you are way too driven and obsessed about this. You even seem to anger easily over it. Did Buford have an affair with your wife or something, lol. Really Mike, if everything you say is true it would have long since been uncovered. We all know that a murder case that wasn't offically solved can be opened as a 'cold case' at any time. Here's some more b.s. that's been floating around on the net as FACT and I think it was in Final Chapter also. Boston is my stomping grounds. Carmine Gagliardi was never found in Boston Harbor with a bullet in his head. After the Pusser ambush, I think 1968, he was incarcerated. I have seen the details on his arrest, investigation and incarceration. Take care & be safe. VC

Rogers, AR

#3 Jul 24, 2009
LOL...if you have read my posts then you know that I have met Neil Armstrong. We discussed his moonlanding in depth one evening and yes, I do believe we landed on the moon..., six times. I never said Pusser wasn't a politician.., thats why he was elected three times. You and I both can probably name any number of politicians who were reelected even though they should not have been. The media didn't get the word around back then as they do today. As far as the write in as constable..., had it been any other township in the county it probably wouldn't have happened. Pusser may not have liked his portrayal in the movie but he kept telling the masses that the movie was true for the most part. Watch walking tall again, the scene where he robbed the club. There was certainly more than a lone W.O. Hathcock there in the movie, count them. Looking out for or protecting a snitch is one thing.., taking money from them is another. I'm not saying that he took money from Junior, but what was his excuse for taking money from Betty Sparks, Katherine Adkins, Paul David English, and the others? Do you have a reasonable explaination why Pusser had so many superficial wounds to the left side of his body? If he had 192 stitches in his head and face from that attack at the Plantation Club why did photos taken afterwardss fail to show any scaring? Whys were there NEVER any witnesses? Why was no other McNairy County LEO ever attacked? Why would the then County Coroner Ward Moore say that he was present when Pusser claimed to have been stabbed and say that the stabbing part of Pusser's story NEVER happened. Please don't prejudge me on what I might think Pusser may have done (ie your Dallas 63 remark). I have done a lot more to learn the true story than anyone I know of. I give the man credit where it is due, but I have no problem with trying to learn the true story and sharing what I learn either either. Thats my agenda..., learning the true story. I am not obsessed with the story and If I sometimes seem angry it is because someone who has done little more than watch "Walking Tall" wants to tell me what a wonderful man, husband, father and sheriff he was when they really don't have a clue. Cold cases are solved all the time. Just last week in Nashville a man was convicted in a death case that happened 35 tears ago. Ironically, Dr Jerry Francisco who also performed the autposy in Louise Hathcock's death testified at this trial regarding the autopsy he did back then in this case. There was a conviction. Gagliardi died in prison, McGann was killed when he interceded in a marital dispute, neither were killed by Pusser as urban legend has it or as Pusser allowed us to believe. Until next time. Mike
Veteran Cop

Osterville, MA

#4 Jul 29, 2009
No Mike, Sheriff Pusser did not lead us to beleive that he killed McGann, McDaniel, Gagliardi and White, it was several law enforcement officials investigating the case who stated he was behind all four hits. You see, I do know more than what I saw in the movies, a lot more and I also have some insight on how they wrote the script and made the movie. For instance, the scene at the end when it appeared Sheriff Pusser killed two of the men involved in the ambush was a hint at just that, the opinion of certain law enforcement officals that he did indeed avenge her death.

As I stated earlier, yes there were, I think six men (not 12 like you had written in another post) in the hickory stick scene and yes, Hathcock was alone at the time in reality BUT again, I also said it was how Hollywood using time compression, continuity and dramatization, etc. make movies for Sheriff Pusser was in many multiple attack fight situations and that scene was inspired by Buford using a fence post to beat down six assailants in one of them. In reality the jury knew Buford had robbed the club but gave him and his friends a pass because of they also knew of what was really going on in these joints and that he was just another victim. it was the jury's way of sending them a message and Hollywood chose to get that across in their own way.

There was indeed another Sheriff in a neighboring county that there were violent threats and assaults against from this type of criminal element but his name alludes me right now but I could find it if need be. You have stated you are or were a cop and you know damn well what they say about a good cop...if you go out and do the job you get hurt and you get complaints against you....if you hide your head in the sand and do nothing you never get hurt or complained about.

Buford Pusser a politician? I think not, I have worked with 'cops' and I have worked with politicians, Buford Pusser was no politician.

I was slammed by a t/t unit once, went through the windshield, yet any scarring I have doesn't show up in photos back then and over time is hardly noticable.

Wasn't it Ward Moore who stated there was a million lies out there about Pusser?(meaning in the negative)

Can't have it both ways.....

The Pusser detractors have him staging the ambush to cover up killing his wife. It doesn't matter that a portion of the Sherrif's jaw bone was found 20 feet from where he was shot by investigators. And hell, couldn't the Sheriff have gone a little easier on himself then to blow his jaw away with a .223 cal. automatic? Didn't 'at least two' bullets strike him? Nice trick if he could pull that one off, lol. Oh, I know what you'll say, his wife shot him (I didn't know she knew how to fire a .223, maybe she learned in the Marine Corp. too, lol), then he shot her.....Oliver Stone here we come again. Anyway, here's my point. The detractors also call the Sheriff a murderer for his so-called involvement in the fatal shooting of Carl Douglas White. They make their case by saying Sheriff Pusser conspired with Berry 'Junior' Smith, his informant, and the motive they propose is simple....the Sheriff did it to avenge his wife's murder because Towhead White set up the the Pusser hit to avenge the shooting of Louise Hathcock, White's 'bosom' buddy. Oh wait, which one is it??? If Sheriff Pusser shot his wife why is he avenging her murder by having White shot??? OR looking at it from the other angle, if he did indeed was involved in the White shooting then the ambush must have went down the way Sheriff Pusser and investigators concluded. Which is it?

We also have the detractors claiming the Sheriff was involved in Sheriff James Dickey's accident and was in the area when it happened, yet, they they call it 'total' fiction in the Walking Tall movie when Buford Pusser is depicted in the accident scene with Sheriff Al Thurman (a.k.a. James Dickey)...well, which is it??
Veteran Cop

Osterville, MA

#5 Jul 29, 2009
Mike, if you ever followed the lives of Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Elliot Ness and watched the movies and the television series you'll probably feel that the Walking Tall movies are a lot closer than some of these...again, that's Hollywood so why single out Buford Pusser? The bottom line is although Masterson, Earp, Ness, etc. were 'Hollyoodized' they all had a great story to tell regardless and this includes Sheriff Pusser. Pusser even said in an interview when Walking Tall came out that the movie depicted being sheriff in McNairy County at that time was 'glamorous' and he stated there was nothing glamorous about it. All these men were flawed somewhat for one simple reason, the human factor, they were all human and none of us lead perfect lives. Bribes? As I said before if Sheriff Pusser was taking bribes he would have been indicted just like the hammer was fallling on Sheriff Dickey at the time of his death and even more so simply because Pusser made a lot of enemies. You have wrote in the past that some law enforcement officers are Pusser detractors, well, a lot more are not, a helluva lot more and you know cops....some have very big egos and they can't stand seeing anyone else getting positive attention, good press and notoriety over them, yet there are other cops that have control over their egos, have humility and will recognize a brother officer for his achievements. If anyone had something legit on Sheriff Pusser they would have come forward and prosecuted it. I don't believe they would have given him a pass on corruption no matter what good he did.
dax

Princeton, WV

#6 Jul 29, 2009
I am from central WV.I have never even been close to Mcnairy Co.I have done alot of research on Mr. Pusser though.From what I gathered,every book written by W R Morris is a waste of paper and ink.Ican tell you that Buford drank as heavily as the people he arrested for it.I don't know if he got his booze off of Junior Smith or not,but I do know Junior was one of his CI'S.All the books by Morris contradict each other several times,I don't know what he was thinking.The movies were another story,what a waste.Lloyd Tatum made more money off the movies than the Pusser family did.
Can somebody tell me who from that era is still alive?i.e ,W O,Junior,Howard Bunch??? I talked with Barbara Bives by phone one time,what about her?
Veteran Cop

Osterville, MA

#7 Jul 30, 2009
Barabra Bivens passed away recently but again, she was part of the side that Sheriff Pusser was battling, being Tommy Bivens wife. So whatever she has to say would most obviously be biased and have to be taken with a grain of salt. It is obvious to most she had an ax to grind.

Yes, it is well known that Buford Pusser drank. I don't think anyone from his camp ever denied that. Don't know if it was stress from the job and he certainly had it but most in law enforcement, I mean many... do drink, some more than others. Not saying it's a good thing but it's the truth. The Sheriff hangout, his watering hole, was at Paul Moore's Tavern and this was according to Paul Moore.

Morris has gone back and forth of his 'feelings' on the Sheriff and from what myself and many others have seen, it's all rooted in making money off the Pusser legacy. Some of his writings are accurate and pretty much on the money BUT others are complete fabrications and a few more, as they say in the movies: "ficitonalized accounts'. You are also correct, from what I've heard anyway, about Tatum. Greed got the best of him and he was another trying to cash in on the Pusser name.

The Sheriff always felt that he had more than enough total factual events in his life that would have made Walking Tall just as powerful, or perhaps more so, and it was all turned over to BCP and Mort Briskin and was disappointed they didn't use it all in the making of the movie. He felt in the making of the sequel "Buford" he would have more control over everything. In Walking Tall, Joe Don Baker came forward on behalf of Buford during the filming and wrote a protest letter to, I think it was the Screen Actors Guild, in trying to change certain things and have more control over his portrayal but to no avail.
Veteran Cop

Osterville, MA

#8 Jul 30, 2009
Paul David English.....when you listed the names of individuals that 'claim' Sheriff Pusser took bribes this name caused a red flag to go up, a very big red flag. Did he not serve a long prison stint for a homicide? Was he not the man who escaped from prison and shot at Sheriff Pusser with another law enforcement official riding shotgun witnessing it and leaving a bullet hole in his cruiser. Does the man walk with a limp and was temporarily paralyzed when the Sheriff returned fire and shot him? Is he not the man that once stated Pauline was afraid to ride with the Sheriff because of his affinity for speed which contradicted others who clearly stated the Sheriff did not drive fast with Pauline in the car? Regardless of that my point being, wow, he's really credible, isin't he? Look, I know that the kind of people who would have knowledge, either direct or indirect of any improprieties would not be outstanding citizens but really.......... Mike, you're from a law enforcement background so you know the b.s. some people spread about cops, b.s. that has no foundation at all in fact. Some do it because they don't like cops, others because they have a personal ax to grind from a police encounter and still others because they just want to come across like they are in the know about something and want their 15 minutes of fame. I just don't find these people credible at all.
Diane Vance....I think it's absolutely horrible that some detractors have sunk so low as to suggest that Buford Pusser had, let's say and I'll put it mildly, an 'inappropiate' relationship with his stepdaughter. I mean, really, thats what has really pushed me over the edge and has sealed the deal with me that these detractors are total b.s. artists and are not to be taken seriously at all. Enough is enough. Diane Vance has come forward on this and stated and I'll paraphrase this part as I try to recall... that she was in a rebellious time in her youth and was being...I can't remember the exact words but something like a 'wise ass' or something when she refused to partake in the movie. She also stated clearly that she was not afraid of Buford, had no reason to be and as a matter of fact, she said the one she was afraid of was her mother.
Buford Pusser, a family man? Yes, I believe that and I also still believe that JFK was a family man and so was RFK. I remember his time in the White House as a young boy and we still have many touching family moments with President Kennedy, Jackie, John-John and Caroline forever captured on film This is despite the fact that much later on it came to light these man had flaws and made some indiscretions. They were human beings, they were not perfect, NO ONE IS PERFECT, so let's get off our high horses and stop passing judgement on others when we are all flawed human beings. As it is written: "People in glass houses shouldn't through stones" and whether some of us wish to admit it or not, we all live in glass houses.
Veteran Cop

Osterville, MA

#9 Jul 30, 2009
Mike, back in 1974, there was a movie that came out, a true story of two cops from Brooklyn, New York that met at the police academy. Actually it was a book and a movie. Title was "The Super Cops". Two Jewish kids, who the people on the street nicknamed "Batman & Robin". They were David Greenberg and Robert Huntz I believe. The movie was the inspiration behind the popular cop show "Starsky and Hutch". At the end of the movie they used a real film clip of the real officers at a press conference where their boss in the NYPD said all these great things about them as he awarded them a commendation. They then depicted the actors doing the same press conference but showed what their boss really said to them behind the scenes just before they went on camera. It was all extremely negative, telling them and I'm paraphasing, that he knew they were crooked s.o.b.'s and that he would burn them someday, blah, blah, blah. So this type of b.s., criticism and petty jealousy is not new or isolated to Sheriff Buford Pusser, it's just the way it is with people then and now. Bat Masterson was voted Dodge City's Man of the Year' by the town's people. When he was a U.S. Deputy Marshal under Wyatt Earp they cleaned up Dodge in less then two years. He then ran for Sheriff of Ford County, office based in Dodge and won. After his 2 year term was up he ran for re-election but was on the wrong side of the politics and lost. Sound familiar?
Take care and be safe, VC
"The measure of a man is how tall he walks"-Sheriff Buford Pusser
dax

Princeton, WV

#10 Jul 30, 2009
Yes,when I talked with Mrs.Bivens she was rather biased.She told me that Carl White was actually a real good guy,just misunderstood,I didn't quite get that.I was also told by another party that Jack Hathcock was a good man,and Louise was a real bitch and she caused most of the trouble.Those two accounts I belive.Tell me if W O and Junior and the Bunch boys are still alive.I would like to try and contact them.

Rogers, AR

#11 Jul 30, 2009
Take about believing in conspiracy theories...wow! If you had bother to do a little more checking you would know about McGann & Gagliardi and that Buford had nothing to do with what happened to them.

Tell me VC, what do all these people have to gain by telling the stories they do.., The state liners and the law enforcement people alike? How to they profit in their old age by insisting what they say is true? Just this last week I spoke with Former State medical examiner Doctor Jerry Francisco. I called him to learn what the protocol was back in 1967 to get a autopsy performed. I was wondering why one was not done on Pauline. He stated that the Local M.E. had to request one and the District Attorney General had to sign of on it. So why wasn't one done? You would think that they would want to dot all the i's and cross all the T's on the death of a sheriff's wife if he was going to claim it was a hit.

During out conversation I told Dr Francisco that Peatie Plunks wife had told me that Buford and Pauline were separated at the time of the ambush. Francisco was aware of this as TBI investigator Warren Jones was suspicious of the ambush and this was one of the reasons. Jones had Francisco examine the crime scene even though he did get to examine Pauline's body.

And by the way, I said no other McNairy County law officer was ever attacked the way Pusser was. You want to confuse the issue I guess by mentioning officer from other counties. OK, Cleaton Wilbanks of Alcorn County MS, was a sheriff who really did WALK TALL. He had problems with the state line bunch as well as the Eaton Bunch on the other side of his county. They were just as bad..., they didn't have a movie made about them though. His home was shot up. But again...who in McNairy County had problems other than Buford?

Rogers, AR

#12 Jul 30, 2009
Veteran Cop wrote:
Mike, if you ever followed the lives of Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Elliot Ness and watched the movies and the television series you'll probably feel that the Walking Tall movies are a lot closer than some of these...again, that's Hollywood so why single out Buford Pusser? The bottom line is although Masterson, Earp, Ness, etc. were 'Hollyoodized' they all had a great story to tell regardless and this includes Sheriff Pusser. Pusser even said in an interview when Walking Tall came out that the movie depicted being sheriff in McNairy County at that time was 'glamorous' and he stated there was nothing glamorous about it. All these men were flawed somewhat for one simple reason, the human factor, they were all human and none of us lead perfect lives. Bribes? As I said before if Sheriff Pusser was taking bribes he would have been indicted just like the hammer was fallling on Sheriff Dickey at the time of his death and even more so simply because Pusser made a lot of enemies. You have wrote in the past that some law enforcement officers are Pusser detractors, well, a lot more are not, a helluva lot more and you know cops....some have very big egos and they can't stand seeing anyone else getting positive attention, good press and notoriety over them, yet there are other cops that have control over their egos, have humility and will recognize a brother officer for his achievements. If anyone had something legit on Sheriff Pusser they would have come forward and prosecuted it. I don't believe they would have given him a pass on corruption no matter what good he did.
How many LEO's have done any real research on Pusser? How many have bothered to interview the people who were there and lived the real story? How many, when they heard stories of wrong doing by Pusser, failed to research those stories as they had already predetermined his place in history?

VC, have YOU bothered to talked to any of the people that said Pusser accepted payoff's as I have, or have you failed to because you felt that was beneath you, or if you did, did you attempt to verify the claims? Were you afraid of what you might find? Were you one of those LEO's that had predetermined Pusser's place in history? Those are straight forward , but very fair questions given the nature of this debate.

Can you guarantee that Pusser would have been caught had he been taking bribes? What assurance can you offer to that effect?

I have talked to a number of people including Leo's that knew Buford that can not explain how he lived the lifestyle he did on a sheriff's salary. Some of the Leo's would stop short of saying he accepted payoff's, but they couldn't explain his lifestyle either. Some of them are the one's that were afraid of what they might find had they honestly looked for the truth.

Granted, there were some people that were problems in McNairy County, but if you believe there was an organized syndicate dedicated to the elimination Pusser then you are the one that must believe than man never went to the moon and you must certainly be a fan of Oliver Stone.

Rogers, AR

#13 Jul 30, 2009
VC lets talk about the facts of the ambush. The front windshiled had a single bullet hole in on the passenger's side, The rear windscreen was undamaged after the ambush. Both windows on the passenger's side of the vehicle were shot out as was the rear window on the driver's side.

New Hope Road had just been resurfaced and the ditches bladed out. All of this is evidenced in the photos.

Considering how narrow the roadway was, and still is, all of this means that for an ambush to have occurred as Buford discribed, the cars would have to be side by side on that road and especially going across the bridge.., an almost certain impossibility.

Glass from the Pusser vehicle was found on the bridge but no shell casings from an M1 were found there.

Keep in mind that for the ambush to have occurred as Pusser described, that dark Cadillac that was supposed to be behind the Methodist Church (authorities speculation) would have only seven tenths of aa mile to catch Pusser at the first ambush site.

According to Pusser it was pre-dawn. Dawn, on August 12, 1967 was at 6:12 am central STANDARD time, not daylight savings time as we are used to now. IT WAS DARK. That Cadillac would be driving in the dark, without the use of headlights, according to Pusser, and negotiating curves at high speeds to catch up with him at the first ambush site. We recently did a reenactment in broad day light and couldn't accopmlish what Pusser said the Cadillac did in the dark.

At the the second ambush site, Pusser had stopped IN THE ROADWAY, to check on Pauline. Pusser stated that the ambush vehicle Pulled up beside him and opened fire again. The ideal, position for the shooter would have been in either the front or back seat on the passenger's side of the Cadillac. This being the case, shell casings from the M1 would have ejected in the middle of the roadway as well as inside the car. Warren Jones reported finding all the shell casings in one small spot on the left(south) shoulder of the road. This could only have happen had the shooter stepped outside the Cadillac, something Pusser Never mentioned, or if someone gathered all the brass and placed it there.

Upon initially examining the second ambush site Jone's thought the shots might have been fired from a ticket alongside the road. He made this determination because of the location where the shell casings were found. Too many things don't add up.

VC, please..., please expalin to me why there were four professional killers in one car. Why they had a single M1 for the hit. How they caught up with Pusser so easily in the dark. How two cars made it across that bridge at the same time. Why only glass and no shell casings were found at the first ambush scene. Why all of the shell casings were found in a single location at the second ambush scene. How four professional hit men failed to kill Pusser as he sat in the front seat of his car. Why they didn't double tap him in the head to be sure he was dead. Why, if the Pusser's never exited the vehicle, there was so much blood on the hood of the Fury. Why, if Pauline was killed at the ambush site, as Pusser claimed, her brains exiting the passenger's window, there is almost no blood on the exerior of her door.

VC, let's talk about this and stay away from the "conspiracy theories". Tell me, how and why all of this happen in a true ambush? Pusser's version of how the ambush occurred just doesn't work for me. Here is your opportunity to explain what I have missed.

I await your response.

Take care,

Mike
got_bufords_back

Ypsilanti, MI

#14 Sep 1, 2009
The other sheriff threatened was S. C. Wilbanks, the Alcorn County, Miss sheriff 1963-1968. There is no evidence that Pusser was any where near Dickey's accident and Pusser narrowly beat the third candidate, Weatherford, a man very much alive for several more years.
got_bufords_back

Ypsilanti, MI

#15 Sep 1, 2009
You will find many file folders with what I believe is overwhelming evidence in favor of Sheriff Pusser at the following site. I have many current and retired veteran law enforcement who are members there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thebufordpusser...

Rogers, AR

#16 Sep 1, 2009
got_bufords_back wrote:
The other sheriff threatened was S. C. Wilbanks, the Alcorn County, Miss sheriff 1963-1968. There is no evidence that Pusser was any where near Dickey's accident and Pusser narrowly beat the third candidate, Weatherford, a man very much alive for several more years.
Please be aware that Sheriff Wilbanks of Alcorn County had more to worry about than just the state liners..., He also had the Eatons from the opposite side of his county as well. I don't recall that any evidence was gathered that showed who was actually responsible for shooting into the Wilbanks residence. The only reason so many people know what they do regarding the state line is because of the movie "Walking Tall" and many people who were familiar with the area as well as the events back then will tell you that the movie told a highly fictionalized story of what happened there.

Like so much of the Pusser saga, there is little evidence to support many of the stories we hear about the state line. After all, we all know that Buford really carry a big stick, he really didn't clean up McNairy County and he didn't go to Pauline's funeral and then ram his car into a club as the movie showed. In many cases, the best that one can do is use a little logic. For instance, Sheriff Dickey was about to be indicted even as he ran for re-election. Accusations had been made about his dealings with the state line. Had he been indicted, he may have been a liability to many. Would he have turned states evidence against his friends at the state line? Odd that he died when, how and where he did. Was his death an accident or was it murder? Who stood to gain by Dickey's untimely death?

Just my thoughts and opinions,

Mike

Mike

Rogers, AR

#17 Sep 1, 2009
got_bufords_back wrote:
You will find many file folders with what I believe is overwhelming evidence in favor of Sheriff Pusser at the following site. I have many current and retired veteran law enforcement who are members there.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thebufordpusser...
If you go to yahoo groups and type Buford Pusser in the search box you will find a few forums that discuss the legendary sheriff's days while he was in office. Some are very Pro Pusser, some are anti Pusser and some are simply investigating and trying to learn the truth about the sheriff, McNairy County and the state line.
Rich

Harrisburg, PA

#18 Sep 5, 2009
Im trying to find out who the person was that shot Art Murphy(The Police Chief of Cornith). Can anyone please answer this question for me.
mikeelam

Rogers, AR

#19 Sep 5, 2009
Rich wrote:
Im trying to find out who the person was that shot Art Murphy(The Police Chief of Cornith). Can anyone please answer this question for me.
Murphy was killed by Corinth Police Captain Jerry McDaniel on March 1, 1973. Murphy was said to be intoxicated when he fired on McDainiel and Lt Tommy Inmann. The homicide was ruled self defense.
Veteran Cop

Osterville, MA

#20 Sep 15, 2009
WOW Mike, you give all new meaning to one of Bill O'Reilly's favorite sayings in reference to "KOOL AID DRINKERS"!!! lol, Keep drinking the kool aid Mike.
You know, I could take apart your posts and answer all your questions like I've been doing since I posted here but why? There's a saying in law enforcement with union lawyers and if you are indeed former LEO you would have heard it. If a cop has to be represented by a union attorney of an allegation/charge against him, the lawyer will always say make sure you are telling me the truth because I can defend the truth but I can't defend against a lie! So, in other words Mike, you will just keep making up the b.s. as you go along, it'll just go on forever and I've really got better things to do with my time than address your bullcrap. Mike, you will just keep rambl'n on and on with your sick obsession against Sheriff Pusser as you keep sipping the kool aid and making the most ridiculous and outrageous allegations which you offer no definitive proof of nor does anyone of substance stick their neck out for you and come forward. The Pusser story that you deal out and try to sell will never come to be simply because it's a figment of your imagination. You make Oliver Stone and his JFK movie look historically accurate, lol. You should have been a writer for Rod Serling's 'Twilight Zone' series.
This is not to mention that you take the alleged statements of people that are either the low life degenerates that Sheriff Pusser fought against or the next generations of their lineage.
Give it a rest Mike, you're beating a dead horse. No one is really 'listening' anymore. Your statemnets and allegations are so far out on the fringe, the absurd, that you have lost all credibility with just about everyone except for your fellow kool aid drinkers. Mike, I'm done here, bottoms up! lol. Take care & be safe, VC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 28
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KaRmA 9 min DollarSigns 1
Haaaaaaa 2 hr Boo Hooey 11
moody auto sales 11 hr Not impressed 7
What is the latest with Mary Winkler? (Jun '11) Wed LIBRARY 268
Regrets Wed Dr Gilligan 26
Tina hardin Wed Wanda 3
molly heather norville (Sep '16) Wed Slut 6

Selmer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance