dadof2

Montgomery, AL

#101 May 27, 2011
Well both forget the so-called director of instruction/academics. What a joke. More waste of good tuition money that could go to hiring qualified teachers. She just runs around trying to pick up skippers mess but misses the mark.
THE TRUTH

Selma, AL

#102 May 27, 2011
bitch and complain all you guys want, but until the board grows a couple and fires that lying jerk skipper nothing will change.
ABC123

Oneonta, AL

#103 May 27, 2011
Are Morgan Academy AP courses not being taught by teachers with masters degrees and teacher certification?? Maybe I need to check into just who is teaching my children. I do know most of the private schools in the Montgomery area and some of the public schools in our area have all of their teacher's qualifications listed on-line. Is this why Morgan does not list theirs?
More of the same wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, they are decent but they do cater to the average student without much emphasis or effort being made to improve the educational experience for the upper tier students who are simply bored because they are being taught down to and not challenged. The AP classes we do have are not challenging enough nor are they, in most cases, being taught by teachers who know how to teach them. I agree, there are some lazy parents but there are also some parents who are trying to make it better but are having to deal with the likes of Skipper and Schroeder [sp?] who aren't proactive in the least.
Disgruntled

Ocean View, DE

#104 Jun 7, 2011
Perhaps the people who are complaining about academics at Morgan should know that one of this year's graduates made 34 on the ACT---possible is only 36---and that the average ACT score for this graduating class is 23. Morgan alumni of the past 3 or 4 years have entered and been successful at schools as diverse as Wake Forest and Clemson and Baylor as well as Auburn and Alabama; they have made A's in college English and Math and been lauded for the skills and knowledge they bring from Morgan Academy into the college environment. Morgan does offer honors and regular classes and the majority of their teachers are conscientious, caring adults who are excellent role models for their students. Athletics plays a very big role in a well-rounded high school experience,and Morgan offers enough sports that any student who wishes to participate can find a spot. It is a life lesson that the good guys don't always win and the best players don't always play. Parents should remember that high school athletics is about children playing a game, it is not life and death.
If #45 is leaving, it might be wise to delve into the reason why---and it has nothing to do with coaching. AND spell check is a useful tool for people who are putting their thoughts out for the world to see.
spaniel

Selma, AL

#105 Jun 10, 2011
i guess you know where the money went
ABC123

United States

#106 Jun 11, 2011
spaniel wrote:
i guess you know where the money went
Are you referrig to the current Morgan staff member who has been caught in vacant teacher's rooms and in "locked" cars and warned by Skipper to watch what she was doing cause people were watching her? Well, I guess she did. The money only went missing this year around special occasions ie. Christmas, Homecoming, Prom, etc...She was clever enough to not take it all. But the surprising factor is that she kept her job last year and this coming year even though she is a thief.
EFG456

Tallassee, AL

#107 Jun 16, 2011
ABC123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referrig to the current Morgan staff member who has been caught in vacant teacher's rooms and in "locked" cars and warned by Skipper to watch what she was doing cause people were watching her? Well, I guess she did. The money only went missing this year around special occasions ie. Christmas, Homecoming, Prom, etc...She was clever enough to not take it all. But the surprising factor is that she kept her job last year and this coming year even though she is a thief.
Well, well, well. I wonder who posted this comment? Those are some mighty strong words especially since I think we all know where, or should I say who, this comment came from.
THE TRUTH

Selma, AL

#108 Jun 17, 2011
as a concerned parent i don't care who said it, are the accusations true? this coupled with all the athletic problems makes one wonder if the board has a clue. at what point do they wise up and dump skipper?
fed up parent

Montgomery, AL

#109 Jun 17, 2011
THE TRUTH wrote:
as a concerned parent i don't care who said it, are the accusations true? this coupled with all the athletic problems makes one wonder if the board has a clue. at what point do they wise up and dump skipper?
The board in place will never get rid of Skipper how else will Tony Lee's boy play varsity QB,Bart Adams' son play JV QB, Jay Wood's son play RB ( when he should be blocking for the kids that can run it) and Derry Bone's son play reciever when hes one of the slowest on the team. I you want skipper gone you need a new board.

Since: Jul 09

Montgomery, AL

#110 Jun 20, 2011
WHo stole money? Just say it!!
spaniel

Montgomery, AL

#111 Jun 20, 2011
goon.... it was reported in stj
alum

Kathleen, GA

#112 Jun 20, 2011
does anyone have access to the STJ article from today about the staff who stole the money? i would like to read it, but live too far away to pick up a paper and refuse to pay $5 for the one article i want to read.

thanks.
Prattville001

Millbrook, AL

#113 Jun 20, 2011
Capt Goon wrote:
Th problem here is Morgan has a coach and headmaster that are "YES" men. If they were hired for their credentials like most people are, then they should tell these parents to kiss their ass. IF these parents have all the answers, then maybe they should be the coach and headmaster. No, they would raher have a puppet in the position to take the fall when THEY make the idiotic decisions as a board. In this case, you have a group of people that have more money than brains. The funny part though, most of these people wouldn't be sh*&% if they got out of Selma. They would be another fish in a large bowl.
AMEN!!! This is typical Morgan.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#114 Jun 21, 2011
alum wrote:
does anyone have access to the STJ article from today about the staff who stole the money? i would like to read it, but live too far away to pick up a paper and refuse to pay $5 for the one article i want to read.
thanks.
There is no article today about it...
From June 4th By Tim Reeves STJ:

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
Academy’s former bookkeeper indicted
Published 11:03pm Saturday, June 4, 2011

A former Morgan Academy bookkeeper has been indicted in connection with stealing more than $56,000 from the school between August 2009 and July 2010.

According to District Attorney Michael Jackson, Janet Ellison, 50, was indicted in late April by the Dallas County Grand Jury and was arrested last Saturday in Calera. She was able to post the $25,000 bond.

Jackson said officials with Morgan Academy contacted the Selma Police Department last year to investigate the missing funds, which totaled $56,887.10.

Ellison’s attorney, P. Vaughan Russell, was out of town Friday and was unavailable for comment as was Morgan Academy headmaster Randy Skipper.

Jackson said Ellison has been charged with first-degree theft, a felony that carries a possible jail term of two to 20 years.

Jackson also said his office is seeking restitution of the funds.

Assistant District Attorney Lloria James is charged with the prosecution, Jackson said. Ellison will be arraigned in circuit court in the coming months.
<<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<<
silver123

Clayton, AL

#115 Jun 21, 2011
Here is the article posted last Sunday.

By Tim Reeves

The Selma Times-Journal

The recent indictment of former Morgan Academy bookkeeper Janet Ellison, 50, no doubt came as a surprise to her, but it also came as a surprise to her attorney P. Vaughan Russell, Sr.

“There had not been any developments in this case in nearly a year. The only thing that changed was the change in assistant district attorneys,” Russell said in an interview with the Times-Journal. Russell was referring to the departure of former Dallas County assistant district attorney John Oxford, who is now with the Baldwin County District Attorney’s office. Assistant district attorney Lloria James is now prosecuting the case.

Ellison is accused of stealing more than $56,000 from Morgan Academy between August 2009 and July 2010, a charge Ellison and Russell strongly deny.

Russell said one of their main points in defending Ellison is the reported poor or non-existent security of where money was kept at Morgan Academy at the time and the number of school employees who had access to those funds.

“By definition, the only person that can embezzle from you is a trusted employee. Because, you’re not going to give someone you don’t trust that kind of access,” Russell said.“The only problem with this is that everyone had access.”

Even though Ellison was dismissed from Morgan Academy, she was allowed to collect her full state unemployment, Russell said,“something you wouldn’t do for someone you believe stole from you.”

After claims were made Ellison stole the reported $56,887.10, Russell arranged for Ellison to take a polygraph exam from a state licensed polygraph examiner S. Neil Rucker. The test took place on Aug. 10, 2010, and according to a copy of the report provided to the Times-Journal, Neil concluded,“after careful analysis of the polygraph charts it is the opinion of this Polygraph Examiner that Mrs. Ellison is truthful when answering ‘No’ to the above listed relevant questions.”

The relevant questions asked included,“have you stolen any cash from monies to be deposited by Morgan Academy; did you ever take any money from Morgan Academy to pay your personal bills and expenses.”

Russell said he asked some Morgan Academy officials to take a polygraph as well, an invitation they refused.

District Attorney Michael Jackson, in a previous article, said Ellison has been charged with first-degree theft, a felony that carries a possible jail term of two to 20 years.

Jackson also said his office is seeking restitution of the funds.
alum

Kathleen, GA

#116 Jun 21, 2011
thank you!

that second article was what i was interested in.
Jay Wood

United States

#117 Jun 21, 2011
Did you notice that Morgan won the Presidents Award recognizing our school as the best in the AISA. How about the 100% graduation rate. Our students placing or winning honors in statewide academic competitions. Schoolwide computer upgrades, smartboards in classrooms,facility upgrades schoolwide. Athletic facility upgrades are constantly ongoing. I bet if your name were posted the reasons for your comments would be alot more clearer. I bet you've never participated in a workday,yet are probably the first to comment on weeds around the fence. I bet you encourage your kid to make the minimum amount of workouts then gripe when other kids who have worked harder get better pass yours. But to top it all off you teach them to be cowards by hiding on a message board under an anonymous name.
THE TRUTH

Selma, AL

#118 Jun 22, 2011
to jay wood. as an alum that attened morgan for 12yrs, as a past board member, and as a present parent, who has put 2 children through school and 1 more in highschool at morgan now i can asure you that i know what goes on and how things work at morgan. people here are concerned not to be anonymous because they realize that there would be real repercussions if they complained. if you don't understand this then you need to talk to some parents who have actually had to deal with skipper. either your part of the problem, which i don't think, or you are in the dark about the headmaster.
Troy Anderson

Montgomery, AL

#119 Jun 22, 2011
Jay Wood wrote:
Did you notice that Morgan won the Presidents Award recognizing our school as the best in the AISA. How about the 100% graduation rate. Our students placing or winning honors in statewide academic competitions. Schoolwide computer upgrades, smartboards in classrooms,facility upgrades schoolwide. Athletic facility upgrades are constantly ongoing. I bet if your name were posted the reasons for your comments would be alot more clearer. I bet you've never participated in a workday,yet are probably the first to comment on weeds around the fence. I bet you encourage your kid to make the minimum amount of workouts then gripe when other kids who have worked harder get better pass yours. But to top it all off you teach them to be cowards by hiding on a message board under an anonymous name.
Yea kids that work harder pass others at Morgan thats a load of crap
ALUM

Selma, AL

#120 Jun 22, 2011
thanks troy for calling jay on the BS. work means nothing, only if your in a position and are willing to play politics and pressure people get what your kids can't earn. that's an easy statement for jay to make since he's in a position, with a couple of others, to insure playing time for their children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 3 hr even_stephens 101
Selma Movie Theatre (Apr '14) 7 hr Streetrunner 3
Has Selma ever move past racism? (Oct '11) Sun Real Civil Rights... 81
'Selma' to be shown for free in Selma, Ala. Sat Cordwainer Trout 24
Obama to visit Selma for 50th anniversary of ci... Jan 22 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
Selma Jan 19 Punxsutawney Phil 2
Selma civil rights march still vivid for US Rep... Jan 8 Downhill GRUBERc... 3
Selma Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Selma People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:54 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:54PM
2015 Falcons Draft Pick Profile: WR Phillip Dorsett
Bleacher Report 8:55 PM
Falcons Potential Draft Pick: LB Denzel Perryman
NBC Sports 3:41 AM
Mickey Loomis: Saints letting Junior Galette case run its course before taking any action
NBC Sports 5:04 AM
Saints players shocked by team's ownership squabble
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Jimmy Graham: Pro Bowl will help dictate if he needs surgery