Morgan Academy - Used to be the premier private school in Selma

Posted in the Selma Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
anonymous

United States

#1 Mar 1, 2011
Morgan Academy used to be the premier private school in Selma. The school excelled within academics as well as athletics. Well, things are changing. They have become more interested in the what they can do to appease parents to make sure their children have a enjoyable social life at school and could care less about whether they learn anything or not. As long as they are in the same class as their friends the administration will make sure to put pressure on the faculty to make sure they get passing grades. The same is also happening in athletics. If you have a child that is not normally athletically inclined enough to even make the team be assured that you can go meet with the head master and not only will your child be on the team they will be in the starting lineup at the next opportunity. The parents and administration at Morgan have begun a process to not require a child to work hard and earn anything at school. Mom and Dad simply plead their case and the administration will make sure their wishes are granted.
CONCERNED PARENT

Selma, AL

#2 Mar 1, 2011
with the arrival of randy skipper things have changed for the worse. it's time for the board to step up and question his leadership and especially his integrity!
bama1

Selma, AL

#3 Mar 1, 2011
as a parent of a nonathlete i have concerns that my child is treated differently at morgan academy. i have been told on several occasions about faculty being pressured and grades changed to protect certain athletes. this is not only unfair to the students that don't play sports it's unfair to the athlete.
CLASS OF 90

Selma, AL

#4 Mar 1, 2011
randy skipper doesn't handle pressure very well and it has become apparent that certain rogue parents have been allowed to much say. either
ANONYMOUS

Selma, AL

#5 Mar 1, 2011
i agree with the above. i have personally witnessed over the past few years coaches being bullied by certain parents. instead of supporting the coach randy skipper appeases the parent, making the situation worse. just look at basketball and baseball.
oooooooo

Grovetown, GA

#6 Mar 1, 2011
this school has always sucked. this is not news
ridiculous

Prattville, AL

#7 Mar 1, 2011
Does anybody know about all of the theft that has been occuring since The Skipper came? Have you ever seen an incident from a police report? No, it is swept under the rug. Money, clothes, uniforms just to name a few........
anonymous

Camp Hill, AL

#8 Mar 1, 2011
Tell more about this theft....shouldn't the administration attempt to put a stop to some of this in an elite school???? So, what's the difference between Morgan and a public school???
CONCERNED

Selma, AL

#9 Mar 2, 2011
RANDY SKIPPER is more concerned about covering his back side. when confronted he just says what he thinks the person in front of him wants to hear. the problem is he forgets what he said and gets caught trying to change the facts of what he said.
bama1

Selma, AL

#10 Mar 2, 2011
another real travesty is what skipper has allowed to happen to morgans sports. basketball was such a disaster i don't think my son will play again. it appears he's going to allow bob taylor to do the same to baseball

Selma, AL

#11 Mar 2, 2011
as a parent of a 2nd grader i haven't experienced anything bad yet. can someone who has had children at morgan longer shed some light
anonymous

Thomaston, GA

#12 Mar 2, 2011
As a 2nd grade parent you may not see what is really going on. I can only speak of high school. But when the biggest problem is that when the kids get old enough for school to become a social event many parents think that school is just about having a good time. They do not care if their children learn anything. If their child is not advanced but they have friends in the advanced class then they go administration and demand that they be placed in that class. Then when the child does poorly in that class they go back to administration and the teachers have to then teach down to that one student which cheats all other students in that class that may be at a different level. The same goes with athletics and cheerleading if you want your child to play or be on the team you do not have to encourage them to work hard just go to skipper and tell him this is what you want and it will happen. I could tell you many many such occasions. This is one of the reasons coach Gartman is no longer at Morgan I am sure he would tell you the same.

Skipper should be there to listen to parents issues. But he is the headmaster and he should have a plan as to how the school should be ran and how the classes should be taught and what MA is trying to provide the students and then tell the parents here is what your child should strive to do to make their education a success. This is not how it is. Skipper has no plan he will make one decission based on a conversation with a parent and then the next week he does a complete reverse because another parent complains about what he did the week before. Two faced would be a good way to describe the current administration and the others within administration are playing right along with it.
jtma1

United States

#13 Mar 2, 2011
this years baseball should be great, but instead the coach thinks he is coaching little league and there is a participation rule
onemore

Thomaston, GA

#14 Mar 2, 2011
@jtma1: Is that the coach's decision or has he been handed down the "law" from Skipper?

Since: Jul 09

Fairfield, AL

#15 Mar 2, 2011
Jus like typical Selma fashion, most these parents you speak of were the same kid attending Morgan back in the 70, 80, and 90's who's parents did the same thing. It's a cycle of snobbery and pretentiousness due to having a little money and control, therefore, expecting everyone to kiss your ass at all levels. Unfortunately, Morgan has a HeadMaster that bows down to this kind. If these kids were half as smart and talented as their parents "thought" they were....then none of this would be a problem. They would actually EARN it on their own. Do yourself a favor, teach your kids to be humble and not pretentious little shits expecting the world at their fingertips because mommy and daddy said so.
jtma1

United States

#16 Mar 3, 2011
Capt Goon has it right!!!!!!!! But if truth be told most of the parents don't have the money. They are in debt up to their butts, won't pay their bills except the Selma Country Club. It is amazing that some won't even pay the dry cleaners. Something needs to change, how about cleaning house and starting with Skipper?
one

Selma, AL

#17 Mar 3, 2011
ONEMORE, it sounds like you may already know the answer.
selmaparent

United States

#18 Mar 3, 2011
What has happened to the son of one of the "elite parents"? Heard that coach taylor (coaching 3 sports and head coach of basketball and baseball) had no time to get the boys in shape and didn't start them throwing until right before the baseball season started and now the ace pitcher is probably out for the season (his arm is now injured).
morgan parent

United States

#19 Mar 3, 2011
Sounds like taylor has too much to do. Why is this? Isn't it hard to be the head coach of 2 sports where the season overlaps. But do they care about anything other than football?
one

Selma, AL

#20 Mar 3, 2011
elite parent? my big ole butt!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 12 hr John 86
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 15 hr Dayle Jackson 286
New store coming where JcPenny was. Belk suppos... Sep 20 Matt 7
Athens man found guilty of murdering cousin; pr... Sep 16 So sad 1
Home wrecker in city office. Sep 1 urturn2burn 1
District Attorney's Office Wins Another Murder ... (Dec '10) Aug '14 Donut 22
cONSTRUCTION (Nov '13) Jul '14 Matthew 10
Selma Dating
Find my Match

Selma Jobs

Selma People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Selma News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Selma