S. Ind. cop faces drug charges

S. Ind. cop faces drug charges

There are 48 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 6, 2007, titled S. Ind. cop faces drug charges. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A Clarksville police officer who also is a candidate for Sellersburg Town Court judge was released on bond yesterday after being arrested Wednesday night on preliminary charges of drug dealing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Indianapolis

AOL

#2 Apr 6, 2007
Wow! They actually caught a 'politician in the making'. Good thing they did!
jon marshall

Wichita Falls, TX

#3 Apr 6, 2007
Looks like his plans have gone up in smoke
joke

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Apr 6, 2007
Obviously he wasn’t a "real" cop if he's a democrat. I'm sure that was just a side job considering his 3 other jobs as a politician, skating rink owner and prescription drug dealer... good riddance...
Hold Them Accountable

Jeffersonville, OH

#5 Apr 6, 2007
Typical cop. One set of laws for the citizens, and another set of laws for the cops.

Wasn't there a Clarksville cop on here the other day defending cops?
shrugs

Monon, IN

#7 Apr 6, 2007
Make you wonder what happens to all those drugs the police confiscates. Are they distroyed or do our fine men in blue resale them for pocket money.
Sgt Poppi

Bloomington, IN

#8 Apr 6, 2007
Rare to here about morphine pills....that's to bad....my back hurts.
joke

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Apr 6, 2007
Hold Them Accountable wrote:
Typical cop. One set of laws for the citizens, and another set of laws for the cops.
Wasn't there a Clarksville cop on here the other day defending cops?
Dont say typical you moron.. that's like me saying typical moron, posting stuff about cops because you got a ticket and are a small man.
lotta bad cops

Palo Alto, CA

#10 Apr 6, 2007
Lotta bad cops, every day we keep hearing more. Seems like a trend. Too bad we can't trust our police anymore. Now everyone is in a state of fear when approached by law enforcement. You never know what they are going to do. It's so easy to plant something on anyone. They can terrorize society.
Alyssa Ping

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Apr 6, 2007
3 A felony counts and 20-50 year per count. Please tell me there is more to this story. Not that I condoning what he did but it was only 30 morphine pills. Give me a break he didn't kill anybody!
color blind

United States

#13 Apr 6, 2007
All cops are in the Drug business..where have you bee?
IPD

Jefferson City, MO

#14 Apr 6, 2007
"Franklin Mikel, 34, a seven-year veteran of the Clarksville force, twice has been recognized as going "above and beyond" in the course of his duties, according to the department's Web site."

Well, he was going 'above and beyond'...
asdf

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Apr 6, 2007
joke wrote:
<quoted text>Dont say typical you moron.. that's like me saying typical moron, posting stuff about cops because you got a ticket and are a small man.
I agree that it's pretty atypical behavior for cops to sell drugs... But as far as his "different set of rules for cops" statement I agree with him. I followed a cop up Meridian yesterday (35mph zone I believe) who was on his cell phone and in civilian clothes. The cop was doing well over 70mph and weaving in and out of traffic. I tried to keep up with him so I could get his plates to report him. When I called IPD the person who answered the phone told me "he must be on silent patrol".... Cops break laws all the time, so don't get cranky when one breaks an "important" law and people say it's typical behavior. If you factor in speeding while off duty, breaking laws IS typical behavior....(Yes, I speed. So you don’t have to say "I bet you speed too". Unlike me cops are supposed to be the example.)
Lost In Space

Circleville, OH

#17 Apr 6, 2007
I am not shocked by this, it's been going on for years in different communities.

Of course not all police officers are not dirty, but there are more out there than you think. And then they wonder why people don't trust the police.
Don

United States

#18 Apr 6, 2007
Lock him up & throw away the key. He has no place in law enforcement or society. He is a scumbag who shouldn't even be out on bond. Think of what all he sold prior to getting caught. I'm sure this is not his first time.
colts rule

Covington, KY

#19 Apr 6, 2007
asdf wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that it's pretty atypical behavior for cops to sell drugs... But as far as his "different set of rules for cops" statement I agree with him. I followed a cop up Meridian yesterday (35mph zone I believe) who was on his cell phone and in civilian clothes. The cop was doing well over 70mph and weaving in and out of traffic. I tried to keep up with him so I could get his plates to report him. When I called IPD the person who answered the phone told me "he must be on silent patrol".... Cops break laws all the time, so don't get cranky when one breaks an "important" law and people say it's typical behavior. If you factor in speeding while off duty, breaking laws IS typical behavior....(Yes, I speed. So you don’t have to say "I bet you speed too". Unlike me cops are supposed to be the example.)
exactly, come here to lafayette/west lafayette and its the same thing. the cops in west lafayette and the purdue cops are always on some power trip superiority complex giving attitude out to everybody they stop, giving out bogus tickets, while they drive drunk themselves, which was in the news not long ago. these corrupt cops are a joke here. they set up seatbelt checkpoints and give tickets to pay their salaries, but i was behind a cop yesterday and he wasnt wearing a seatbelt himself, what typical double standards, they speed on 52 probably late for lunch, they are bogus and pathetic here. and dont forget how they butchered the wade steffey case. and purdue cops are the worst, they hide in alleys by the purdue village bars and arrest people for walking home with public intoxication, when they arent even driving. why dont all these cops in lafayette go after the million illegal mexicans all over town driving around with no insurance and no license, it seems they let illegals get away with everything, they just target whites on the roads because we dont pull guns and we pay our tickets that pay their salaries, so they pick on us and ignore the real problems going on, they get no respect from me and never will
Don

United States

#20 Apr 6, 2007
Alyssa Ping wrote:
3 A felony counts and 20-50 year per count. Please tell me there is more to this story. Not that I condoning what he did but it was only 30 morphine pills. Give me a break he didn't kill anybody!
If this had not been an officer the bond would have been $5,000. and there would have been 1 count and the DA would already be making a plea bargain with the defense attorney.
Anonymous

Bloomington, IN

#21 Apr 6, 2007
asdf is right. Just because they are cops and are supposed to uphold the law, does not mean that they do. It also doesn't mean that ALL cops are like that either. I know some good cops, but I know a lot of bad cops. Some think that they are above the law and nothing will happen to them when they speed, or run red lights, or whatever else. Someone mentioned all the confiscated drugs, and there are some that take the confiscated drugs and turn around and put them right back out on the street. I think that 3 A felonies is a little harsh for only 30 morphine pills though. He didn't kill anyone. They'll probably end up knocking it down to possibly one B or C felony and only have to do maybe 5 years.

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Apr 6, 2007
This is just more of the same anymore. You rarely here about the cops doing their job and abiding by the law so there is always a negative spin towards law enforcement. It's hard to trust police because you never which ones are crooked and which aren't. This kind of story really makes one wonder how much of this goes on.

As for the speeding reference and driving around in civilian clothes, this could be easily solved. Treat police like postal workers. If you aren't on the job, your police car stays here at the office. No driving your car home after work or any other reason. You show up for work, hop in your car, do your shift, bring your car back to the office and drive your own car home. After all aren't the taxpayers paying for you to drive your family around in the squad car?
hater-aid

United States

#27 Apr 6, 2007
asdf wrote:
<quoted text>
don't hate. congratulate
asdf

Indianapolis, IN

#28 Apr 6, 2007
Anonymous wrote:
asdf is right. Just because they are cops and are supposed to uphold the law, does not mean that they do. It also doesn't mean that ALL cops are like that either. I know some good cops, but I know a lot of bad cops. Some think that they are above the law and nothing will happen to them when they speed, or run red lights, or whatever else. Someone mentioned all the confiscated drugs, and there are some that take the confiscated drugs and turn around and put them right back out on the street. I think that 3 A felonies is a little harsh for only 30 morphine pills though. He didn't kill anyone. They'll probably end up knocking it down to possibly one B or C felony and only have to do maybe 5 years.
I don't have an issue with cops, don't get me wrong. I think 90% of them are great and I'm sure that those 90% have just as much of a hatred for the other 10% as I do (If not more due to them giving the good cops a bad name).

I have NEVER had a bad run-in with a cop that wasn't driving at the time. I never got a speeding ticket I didn't deserve and I probably didn't get some that I did deserve.

My point was just that in my experience the majority of cops break the "little rules" and have no right to get bent out of shape when people say it's typical behavior for cops to break rules, it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sellersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ted Cobb 5 hr Gobble 1
Leah Hodges (Aug '13) 6 hr Her big brother 4
Allison E. Rickard Sun ruse3 1
Noshylla tinsley Jan 13 Milbyfamily 1
where's ROCK (Feb '16) Jan 12 justsayn 10
Anyone know Rich Bowman? Jan 12 The watchman 3
News Justice For David Camm (Dec '08) Jan 11 Johnny John John 8,247

Sellersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance