School sports: the pros and cons

Dec 29, 2008 | Posted by: Ky Southern Belle | Full story: www.courier-journal.com

Athletics motivate students to keep grades up and manage their time, say members of The Courier-Journal's High School Round Table.

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Feb 4, 2013
James Helbley

Canonsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

What is the pros and cons of having school sports?
kulaid26

Mosinee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Judged:

school sports suck!!
kulaid26

Mosinee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Judged:

they`re 2 expensive!
kulaid26

Mosinee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Judged:

im jk i think that their are both pros and cons about sports
Cons:school budget
Pros:they can bring in a profit if enough people come to watch the games
lala

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

ok, silver creek has waited for this team for way to long. Yes it hurts the budget but TRUST ME ON THIS ONE it will pretty much pay for its self. I was at silver creek when they put up sign up sheets. The page was fulled in 5min and i think they had 4full pages of names. Everyone is excided about friday night school football.
bob

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2010

Judged:

you to suck on ice sports are awsomely awsome.
jaziie

Apple Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

Judged:

wat are pros and cos??
Blade

Wantirna, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

the pros of sports are that you get fit and you wont get fatty meat.
cons are that if you are fat,(no offence to fat people) you night break your leg or some other body part.:)
really

Fort Knox, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

depending on the school, sports pay for themselves. new albany sports never have an empty seat...bleachers are always packed whether it be for basketball, or football, tennis or a track meet. great parent support should cover the cost, and seems how for high school sports you pay at least five dollars to get into a game per person, young or old, i would say they are def covered. elementary and jr high sports are less likely to make as much money, but a pro is playing sports builds character, self esteem, it builds confidence and teaches team play, very important in young lives. the only cons i can think of is driving to and from the away games is trying on parents, but still worth it to many, including me, and another con could be too many practices sometimes take away from homework or study time. but school sports give way more to a student than they take away, cannot afford college for my son, but with a sports scholarship, and an academic scholarship he will go! so thank you sports!
Marco

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2011

Judged:

I suck at gay australian football and now everyone hated me cuz i can't kick a F****** ball!!!!
And there's that stupid sport faction crap and lightning and athletic sport carnival shit, which I sucked ball at and always get humiliated in front of the crowd!
Mike Griffith

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Judged:

its all about pride.
Mike Griffith

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2011

Judged:

and getting to the next level.
A Girl

East Saint Louis, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Im on the pros of school sports. They help a lot of students imcrease their self-esteem and confidence. Cons are just the enhancements of drugs and pressure. not much to deal with but im on the pros like i said.
A Girl

East Saint Louis, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Marco wrote:
I suck at gay australian football and now everyone hated me cuz i can't kick a F****** ball!!!!
And there's that stupid sport faction crap and lightning and athletic sport carnival shit, which I sucked ball at and always get humiliated in front of the crowd!
It's okay. im a cheerleader and one time i totally screwed up at one of my competitions. Dont pressure yourself to much. Just think that your doing it for fun and dont give up(:
Lakers

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Pros: help keep kids fit and healthy
BigHeart

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Silver Creek wouldn't have a football team if they drug tested!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

I played volleyball,softball and was a cheer leader in middle school and all through high school,and back then it was all in good fun and camaraderie. Sadly enough now days it is all too cut throat and its not just the students it is also the parents.
I would love to see all 4 of my grandchildren enjoy the fun of school sports,but because of the few bad apples they may never get to.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sellersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1342 Beeler Street apt 3........... (Sep '13) 21 hr morgan thompson 7
Thomas clay jr (Feb '14) 22 hr Thomas Clay 3
sherri smith 23 hr fordnutt4u 1
G L Clark a home wrecker Aug 19 Beenwrecked 1
Sellersburg Sunoco Aug 19 Kevin 1
Justice For David Camm (Dec '08) Aug 16 mke 8,250
Sellersburg Police (Sep '07) Aug 13 wtf 32

Search the Sellersburg Forum:
•••
•••