First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Long Island 70s Kid

Poway, CA

#82 Oct 3, 2013
Ronk Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I do! It was Grant's first, when the shopping center was first built. Then, when Grants folded, the old Woolworth from Portion Road & Foster Ave. moved into the Grants building- and then became Woolco, I believe; Then Caldor; and now Kohls.
Anyone know if Eddie's Pizza is still in that center? That was there from day one!
From what I understand, Eddie's pizza closed this past year. My family used to eat there all the time before we moved to California. I always hoped I would get a chance to return for another slice, but that's not going to happen now. Loved their pizza!
Dale S

Ronkonkoma, NY

#83 Oct 23, 2013
The new bakery on Hawkins ave is called S&D Pastry shop.Their pastry and homemade bread is great! They are right next to where Brunos restaurant used to be.
joefish625

York, PA

#84 Dec 1, 2013
OMG yea H&H was the best. I used to go there in the 80s when I was a kid. when did they go out of business?
dmtkphk wrote:
oh and yes, H&H Bakery had the BEST JELLY DONUTS. We would go there on a Sunday morning with my dad and it would be packed. We were little so we were squished in like sardines. I can remember staring at the floor at the little cream/pink ceramic tiles for what seemed like hours. They also had those very cheesy 1960 Wedding Figurines on display. Oh the days of the early 70's.
Dan

Middle Island, NY

#85 Jul 18, 2014
There was also a restaurant called Papa Chicks and of course Brunos. We used to gets buns at H and H after church at St. Joseph.
Dan

Middle Island, NY

#86 Jul 19, 2014
We moved to Lake Ronkonkoma from Queens in 1958. There were two restaurants on Hawkins Ave. Brunos, of course and a place called Papa Chicks. The original Sachem Library was on the west side of Hawkins in a small building near Church Street. I remember a barber shop also, somewhere near the bakery.
We used to get our gym clothes at Yarlows.
okeefe_1960

Ronkonkoma, NY

#87 Aug 18, 2014
Clare O'Keege - Does anyone remember Tavern on the Lake? Does anyone have any photo's that were taken there?
Jules

Fort Myers, FL

#88 Wednesday Sep 17
Original T Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! Some of that stuff I did not know.(But we always knew Al and "Murray" Yarlow...)
Was that Gehweiler's the same business that became the florist that had been next-door to Tom's in the 60's and 70's?(My sister had worked there in the 60's)- I think there was a shoe store between Gehweiler's and Tom's?
Then there was Fayne's drugstore.....and then two small shops between Fayne's and Agnew & Taylor (I think one was a real estate office for a while?)
On the south side of Portion Rd. before they built the Grant's (now Kohl's) shopping center and "Valley National Bank" and all, was there anything there?(My earliest memories of that stretch were of it being all torn up, when they had it all bulldozed to build the shopping center).
Thanks again for the interesting info!
I graduated from Saint Josephs in 62 & Sachem in 65. Remember sitting in booster seat at barber across from Agnew & Taylor. Remember Pfeiffers & root beer floats. Mike,Eddie& Pat Sullivan were friends of mine. Their Mother was a Straub & I can remember her working the checkout counter. I remember Browns Juvenile --next to J-J's. Remember going to A& P with my Mom--Pat Verbeeck. I remember the Ronkonkoma Diner--owned by Mike & Mary Ramoska. I worked with Mike Sr & Mike Jr in Post Office in Ft. Myers , Florida. Mike & Marys son Butch tended bar for many years at Brunos. Remember stopping at H&H bakery after church, for Crumb Buns, Seeded rolls , salt sticks & the buns with raisins & drizzeled coating?I drove down Hawkins avenue from the expressway & felt like I was going down memory lane. I remember Turners amusement park, Eberhardts garage now a beverage barn, the Bluebird inn & Uncle Eds for pizza & bar & shuffleboard. We use to jump the fence at the Smithtown drive in & catch a show. Carvel across the streen from Bavarian inn. Remember Raynors & Yerks Beach. & the Vanderbuilt mansion on the lake!!
Ron K Onkoma

Glasgow, KY

#89 Saturday Sep 20
Jules, you seem to be the only person who remembers the Carvel across from the Barbarian Inn!

That Carvel was already abandoned when I was a kid in the 70's. I'd see the building every time we'd go to my sister's, and it was unmistakable that it had been a Carvel- but nobody seemed to know anything about it, nor did anyone ever speak of having gone there or seen it when it was in operation- which made it seem very mysterious to a kid!

You're literally the first person I've ever seen make reference to that Carvel!
Jayar

Brooklyn, NY

#90 Saturday Sep 20
Jules wrote:
<quoted text>
I graduated from Saint Josephs in 62 & Sachem in 65. Remember sitting in booster seat at barber across from Agnew & Taylor. Remember Pfeiffers & root beer floats. Mike,Eddie& Pat Sullivan were friends of mine. Their Mother was a Straub & I can remember her working the checkout counter. I remember Browns Juvenile --next to J-J's. Remember going to A& P with my Mom--Pat Verbeeck. I remember the Ronkonkoma Diner--owned by Mike & Mary Ramoska. I worked with Mike Sr & Mike Jr in Post Office in Ft. Myers , Florida. Mike & Marys son Butch tended bar for many years at Brunos. Remember stopping at H&H bakery after church, for Crumb Buns, Seeded rolls , salt sticks & the buns with raisins & drizzeled coating?I drove down Hawkins avenue from the expressway & felt like I was going down memory lane. I remember Turners amusement park, Eberhardts garage now a beverage barn, the Bluebird inn & Uncle Eds for pizza & bar & shuffleboard. We use to jump the fence at the Smithtown drive in & catch a show. Carvel across the streen from Bavarian inn. Remember Raynors & Yerks Beach. & the Vanderbuilt mansion on the lake!!
Were you a Woolley Boy?

http://patch.com/new-york/sachem/don-woolley-...
RonkRalph

Ronkonkoma, NY

#91 Wednesday Sep 24
Ronk Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I do! It was Grant's first, when the shopping center was first built. Then, when Grants folded, the old Woolworth from Portion Road & Foster Ave. moved into the Grants building- and then became Woolco, I believe; Then Caldor; and now Kohls.
Anyone know if Eddie's Pizza is still in that center? That was there from day one!
Eddie's Pizza is still there but Mike is the new owner. He's the tall guy who worked behind the counter for years
RonkRalph

Ronkonkoma, NY

#92 Wednesday Sep 24
Long Island 70s Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I understand, Eddie's pizza closed this past year. My family used to eat there all the time before we moved to California. I always hoped I would get a chance to return for another slice, but that's not going to happen now. Loved their pizza!
Reopened. Mike is he new owner. He worked behind the counter for years

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Tim Osman 118,303
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 7 hr postcranium 6,469
Cops: East Patchogue man arrested in sex abuse ... 9 hr patchogue resident 1
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 760
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 6,391
what companies are hiring? Tue holbrook resident 2
Grenade swallowed by 66 year old, man alive (Mar '08) Sep 28 hoo doo you think... 10

Selden News Video

Selden Jobs

Selden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Selden News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Selden

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]