Blaming Israel for carnage

Blaming Israel for carnage

There are 121880 comments on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram story from Jul 22, 2006, titled Blaming Israel for carnage. In it, Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that:

Most media outlets aren't providing news of Israel's barbaric air raids on Lebanon with fairness and integrity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

nutjobs here

Israel

#111913 Dec 4, 2013
Sheilaa wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was South Africa that was the initial consideration. See what I mean about the story constantly being changed?
It is not the story being constantly changed but so much BS being spread around that people such as yourself believe anything and continuously see that maybe what you read is BS.

Why are there so many false quotes posted from Jewish or Israel leaders? If these people actually said and meant what is claimed than there should be hundreds of examples.
nutjobs here

Israel

#111914 Dec 4, 2013
Sheilla here is a link to an interesting outlook of the land ownership claims you made above.

The fact is that most of the land was not owned by any individuals for one reason or another. The figures your posted from the UN are BS according to what I have studied and seen over the years.
Just as the Myth of Arab Palestine getting smaller when it was the other way around from the 1920's when Trans-Jordan was separated from the Mandate.

http://www.zionism-israel.com/dic/Land_questi...
Doctor REALITY

Mabelvale, AR

#111915 Dec 4, 2013
The militant muslims of the middle east are the 'spritual demons' that God has used as a 'thorn in the spiritual flesh' of Christ-rejecting Jews.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#111916 Dec 4, 2013
nutjobs here wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Dam right you can't there is too much evidence for you to deny it

2. Don't know what you mean

3. What about the Jews who were living there? They were happy with the status quo and didn't want or didn't agree with what the Zionists were doing. The whole idea was to live in harmony with each other. Dispossession of the Palestinians from their homes and land and to not have the right of return is what the injustice was and is all about. Israel disrespected Article 5 which stated that the mandatory shall be responsible for seeing that NO Palestine territory should be ceded to, or in any way placed under the control of the Government of a foreign power. Israel was a foreign power when it declared itself unilaterally against the wishes of the majority of the people who lived and where born there. They were also taking land from the Arabs prior to the illegal unilateral declaration of independence

5. I could ask you the same about the Jewish people stealing the lands and property of Palestine before Israel existed. Why did the British cease the immigration of Jews into Palestine because of all the trouble that they were causing. Why did the Jews attack the British who were in charge of the mandate prior to the declaration of Israel? Bombing of the British hotel etc etc

6. That is exactly what Israel should do admit, they are not interested in justice. Why are they denying refugees the right to return home. The only reason that other Arab countries kicked them out was because of what Israel was doing Ignoring the International court and being the only state that has not declared its borders are just blatant arrogance on the part of Israel.

7. Of course the Palestinians had a claim on the land. They had lived there for hundreds of years and their opinion was not even considered in an illegal decision that Britain had no authority to take.

At the time of the Balfour Declaration Turkey was still the legal owner of the Ottoman empire. What Britain did was illegal. It did not possess , nor had it ever possessed any sovereignty, right of disposition, or jurisdiction over Palestine that enabled it to grant any rights to an alien people from Europe over the territory of Palestine
8. No I am not a Muslim I am a Christian and the bible doesn't teach Zionists to do what they did and take things into their own hands and do what they think His job is for him

In relation to resolution 181 Israel was only accepted to the UN conditional to their abiding by it concerning the repatriation of Palestinian refugees and Jerusalem why has she not done it?

Location hidden

#111917 Dec 4, 2013
nutjobs here wrote:
<quoted text>
I am surprised that you hate Islam and are not Muslim after reading your posts.
Why does this interest you so much that you are willing to spend so much time on it?
I base my legal outlook of the conflict on experts such as Jacques Gautier for example. I listen to people such as Eugene Rostow who wrote res 242 and clearly states that Israel was not required to pull back to the green line. I follow PalestinianMediaWatch and MEMRI which translate all the hate from Middle Eastern Countries. I follow numerous blogs which usually give links to both sides of a story or at least enough links you can find them yourself. I look in all directions and follow people from all sides including Imams, Jew haters, Israel haters and much more.
Then be surprised because it is a fact and if you look on other forums such as Islam will conquer the West and the World I post on it frequently denouncing what Islam is doing in the name of its false prophet. You have provided no links to back up your claims and you denigrate those that speak out against what Israel has done even the religious Jews you denounce. If they don't know what Judaism and Israel is all about then no one does. Israel does not appear to be a democratic state.

In relation to MEMRI of course you would follow it. It's founder is an Israeli called Yigal Carmen who was an IDF intelligence officer for twenty years. MEMRI was founded in 1998 and it is accepted as an official propaganda organ of the Israeli government.

Location hidden

#111918 Dec 4, 2013
nutjobs here wrote:
Sheilla here is a link to an interesting outlook of the land ownership claims you made above.
The fact is that most of the land was not owned by any individuals for one reason or another. The figures your posted from the UN are BS according to what I have studied and seen over the years.
Just as the Myth of Arab Palestine getting smaller when it was the other way around from the 1920's when Trans-Jordan was separated from the Mandate.
http://www.zionism-israel.com/dic/Land_questi...
The trans Jordon as far as I am aware was promised to Hussein because he fought with the British and that was his reward.They gained their independence in the 1920's and it was given to the people who LIVED in the land, not some strangers who came from overseas which was way before Israel declared her independence.

Of course you would say that now the UN is lying as well. Seems like based on what you are saying that you and Israel are the only ones that tell the truth. Can you see what you sound like???

Location hidden

#111919 Dec 4, 2013
Have to go will touch base later :)
nutjobs here

Israel

#111920 Dec 4, 2013
Sheilaa wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I can't deny i because its true. Not to the extent that is claimed by Israel haters but it happened non-the-less.
It wasn't just one sided though as Jewish settlement throughout the West Bank, Jerusalem and Gaza was also destroyed.

2. You implied because they were Israeli and supporting your claims it must be true. The fact is that they are only popular because they are Israeli and often also call for the end of the Jewish state.

3. Says who. Again you are making general statements with no evidence. The dispossession of Arabs from their land only started in the 1940's. Why was there so much violence against Jews until then when the land the Jews resided on was legally theirs?
There is no legal right of return, compensation may be another matter.

As for article 5 of the Mandate you seem to have misinterpreted it. It was speaking about a foreign power other than the Jews.

Why all this mention of a "National Jewish Home" in the Mandate if it wasn't speaking about a state?
Why according to your opinion is the Mandate for Palestine different to other Mandates on the fact that they all created countries?
How can you claim the aim wasn't to create a country when it is clear from the British that they saved this tiny portion of the region for Jewish settlement?

5. Where did Jews 'steal' land or property from Arabs before the 1940's?
The British ceased and restricted Jewish immigration from the early 1920's when there was no Jewish violence, WHY ARE YOU MAKING THINGS UP AGAIN? Its called appeasement to Arabs as we see in Europe today and decades ago when the PLO were allowed to work in Europe.
Why did the British attack the Jews, oppress them, restrict their immigration and give land, which according to the Mandate should have been for their settlement, to the new Arab immigrants?
The fact is that the British did nothing to protect the Jews under the Mandate, they even supported the Arabs often enough. The Hotel was used as a Military installation so was a viable target. They were warned in advance but ignored the warnings.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE ASKING THE BRITISH WHY THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW THE MANDATE

Article 2

The Mandatory shall be responsible for placing the country under such political, administrative and economic conditions as will secure the establishment of the Jewish national home, as laid down in the preamble, and the development of self-governing institutions, and also for safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine, irrespective of race and religion.

To secure the establishment of the Jewish National Home. No mention of political rights for the non-Jews.

Article 6

The Administration of Palestine, while ensuring that the rights and position of other sections of the population are not prejudiced, shall facilitate Jewish immigration under suitable conditions and shall encourage, in co-operation with the Jewish agency referred to in Article 4, close settlement by Jews on the land, including State lands and waste lands not required for public purposes.

They gave most of the Arable land to Arabs while a tiny% to Jews.

Article 25

In the territories lying between the Jordan and the eastern boundary of Palestine as ultimately determined, the Mandatory shall be entitled, with the consent of the Council of the League of Nations, to postpone or withhold application of such provisions of this mandate as he may consider inapplicable to the existing local conditions, and to make such provision for the administration of the territories as he may consider suitable to those conditions, provided that no action shall be taken which is inconsistent with the provisions of Articles 15, 16 and 18.

clear from this article that the Mandate included Trans-Jordan.
nutjobs here

Israel

#111921 Dec 4, 2013
6. Again putting words in my mouth.
Why are you trying to justify the ethnic cleansing of nearly 1,000,000 Jews in the region?
Why did the attacks, theft, and apartheid policies against Iraqi Jews (for example) start years before Israel as a country existed if it was because of Israel?
So you blame the Jews for the violence even though the Arabs started it.
You blame the Jews for their own property being stolen from them even though they are clearly in the right.

7. So please GIVE ME A LEGAL DOCUMENT WHICH GIVES THE PALESTINIANS AS A NATION THE LEGAL RIGHT TO THE LAND. I never disputed claims of private ownership, but national ownership there is no legal support.

The Balfour declaration had no legal basis until it was incorporated into the Mandate for Palestine.
The Turks gave up their claim in the Treaty of Servais at the begining of the 20's. The Mandate was concluded just years later.
So your claim is false and Turkey gave up their claim to the land.

What you seem to miss is that as Trustees of the Mandate the British were supposed to follow the articles agreed upon by the league of nations. Yes they had some leeway which was used to give Arabs often new immigrants land meant for Jews but they got away with it. Check out the documentation from the LoN at the end of the 1920's criticizing Britain for its actions.

it was not just an alien group from Europe. It included the Jews of Palestine, who at the time were called Palestinians, and Jews from all over the world.

9. The Bible can be interpreted in many ways. There is a saying "70 faces to the Bible".

Where do you get that from? Israel was accepted as a country according to you because they pushed off the vote and pressured countries to agree. Didn't you claim that a few pages ago?
Resolution 181 is non-binding and since the Arabs didn't agree according to the UN website it has no legal relevance.
if you read res 181 it is clear that Jerusalem would have become a Jewish city. The Jews were 2/3 of the population at the time and the resolution called for a resident vote after a decade or so. SO the Jews would have probably won the vote. This is one of the reasons that Israel agreed to the res in the first place.

If Jerusalem was so important why did it become run down under Jordanian control?

Is there anything you don't blame Israel or the Jews for?

Sorry there are many Christians who sound Muslim these days. More interested in the fascist Palestinians rights than their own religion in the region. You do realize that Christians were 20% of the region 100 years ago. Now they are under 5%.
Where were you when Churches were being burned throughout the Middle East?
Where were you when terrorists used the Church of Nativity as a hideout?
Where were you when Hamas was destroying Christian stores and attacking them in Gaza?

Why so focused on Palestinians when there are much worse evils in the world?
nutjobs here

Israel

#111922 Dec 4, 2013
Sheilaa wrote:
<quoted text>
Then be surprised because it is a fact and if you look on other forums such as Islam will conquer the West and the World I post on it frequently denouncing what Islam is doing in the name of its false prophet. You have provided no links to back up your claims and you denigrate those that speak out against what Israel has done even the religious Jews you denounce. If they don't know what Judaism and Israel is all about then no one does. Israel does not appear to be a democratic state.
In relation to MEMRI of course you would follow it. It's founder is an Israeli called Yigal Carmen who was an IDF intelligence officer for twenty years. MEMRI was founded in 1998 and it is accepted as an official propaganda organ of the Israeli government.
I never said you were lying about your religious affiliation. I forget that a large part of the Christian community targets Israel unfairly.
How can you support the Palestinians when they preach Islamic world domination?
The main reason for the conflict is not the Palestinian rights as the Arab countries don't care about that. The main reason is because under Islam once conquered always theirs. Since they controlled the land as one point they consider it theirs forever.

I am critical of Israel but for things it is actually doing. Most of what is written by people here is not actually reality.

I have provided links and sources over time for most of my claims here but if you want them again ask for specifics and I will.

I don't denounce religious Jews (although I am not a fan of religion in general), I denounce Neturei Karta who are denounced by 99% of Religious Jewry. They number a few thousands and stand alongside Nazis and Islamists who call to eradicate Jews, Israel and deny the Holocaust. Not exactly a typical Jew. Oh and I was a religious Jew until I studied religion.

How is Israel not a Democracy? please explain. It has suffrage, basically everyone can vote, run for parliament, own home, land, work, ride public transport, army, police, courts etc.
If we go deeper than you can say there are no real democracies but comparing to other democracies it is.
I do have a problem that it is not representative with local leaders like England or the US.

Are you really that full of hate for Israel that you would deny that MEMRI translates correctly? Who cares who runs it if the videos have the correct translation? I may not accept their opinion on a matter but translating Arab/Muslim hatred why not?
Can you prove otherwise.

I probably follow the same people that you do.
There are hundreds of websites I follow from all sides.
There are hundreds of people I follow from all sides.

I have 10,000's of videos and 15,000 mostly research papers and historical documentation on the subject of Global dynamic. I have charts, graphs, pics, infographics, and another 10,000 bookmarks (which i don't have here otherwise I would give many more links).

I am actually on a break from working in the field as it makes no sense financially (if i want to stick with my own opinions). I probably have a better 'hasbarah' collection than most of the orgs.

My focus is also on Political Islam, The West, UN, Middle East and Africa. My knowledge of much of S.America & Asia is limited unless in reference to Hizballah and co.
nutjobs here

Israel

#111923 Dec 4, 2013
Sheilaa wrote:
<quoted text>
The trans Jordon as far as I am aware was promised to Hussein because he fought with the British and that was his reward.They gained their independence in the 1920's and it was given to the people who LIVED in the land, not some strangers who came from overseas which was way before Israel declared her independence.
Of course you would say that now the UN is lying as well. Seems like based on what you are saying that you and Israel are the only ones that tell the truth. Can you see what you sound like???
Trans Jordan according to article 25 no? It was promised to Hussein as they lost Arabia. They were still under British rule until the 1940's no? It was given to Hussein who was not from the land so no IT WAS NOT GIVEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO LIVED IN THE LAND. So can you accept now that Jordan was part of the Mandate for Palestine? You also don't seem to care that the Palestinians who consist of the majority of Jordanian citizens are being ruled by a leader from another land. Again only the Jews uh?

Yes the UN lies on a regular basis are you unaware of this? it is one of the most corrupt orgs ever created. The UN gets its figures from other sources and chooses to accept them as reality. I gave a link to Peace Now on the UN website. Peace now have been caught numerous times distorting building stats and death stats. So the UN uses unreliable orgs as its sources. Just look at the Goldstone report which was written by people who openly came to conclusions before they started the trip, not exactly objective. They documented hearsay as fact and even disputed their own document on different pages.

Just go to UNwatch.org and you can see enough examples of clear bias against Israel at the UN.

Un bias against Israel

http://www.adl.org/israel-international/un-in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
UN HRC interpreter questions unjust targeting of Israel live on mic.

Israel is banned from many orgs in the UN because the regional countries won't allow it to be part of their group. So basically Israel is not treated the same as the rest.

I can see what i sound like but doesn't mean that I am wrong. You seem to put too much trust in international orgs especially those who target Israel indiscriminately.You are making assumptions.

There are hundreds of millions in the world who agree with me so not exactly alone but possibly minority opinion especially amongst the progressive left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
camp Jihad run by the UNWRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
inside the UNWRA classroom

http://daledamos.blogspot.co.il/2013/08/text-...
The EU coming boycott of Israel over the green line has no legal basis. They don't care as its a political move.

CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY LEGAL BASIS IN INTERNATIONAL LAW FOR THE GREEN LINE BEING A BORDER?

All you have to do is type in google and you can find hundreds of examples of bias against Israel at the UN.
nutjobs here

Israel

#111924 Dec 4, 2013
Following are several examples of U.N. agencies and their special agenda items, reports or programs designed to single out Israel for unique scrutiny and opprobium. This is apart from the dozens of anti-Israel resolutions adopted annually by numerous U.N. agencies, while egregious violations by China, Cuba or Saudi Arabia go ignored.

General Assembly

Under International peace and security
Item 17-“The situation in the Middle East”
Item 18-“Question of Palestine”
Item 26-“Armed Israeli aggression against the Iraqi nuclear installations and its grave consequences for the established international system concerning the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons and international peace and security”
Item 32-“United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East”
Item 33-“Report of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories”
Item 41-“Permanent sovereignty of the Palestinian people in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and of the Arab population in the occupied Syrian Golan over their natural resources”

Under Humanitarian and Disaster Relief Assistance
Item 71 (c) Strengthening of the coordination of humanitarian and disaster relief assistance of the United Nations, including special economic assistance: Assistance to the Palestinian people.

Under Disarmament
Item 94-“Establishment of a nuclear-weapon-free zone in the region of the Middle East”
Item 101-“The risk of nuclear proliferation in the Middle East”

Subsidiary organs of the General Assembly
Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People (CEIRPP)
Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories

UN Secretariat
Division for Palestinian Rights, Department of Political Affairs

Human Rights Council (HRC)
Item 7-“Human rights situation in Palestine and other occupied Arab territories”

Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
Item 11-“Economic and social repercussions of the Israeli occupation on the living conditions of the Palestinian people in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and the Arab population in the occupied Syrian Golan”

World Health Assembly (World Health Organization)
Item 20-“Health conditions in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, and in the occupied Syrian Golan”

International Labor Organization (ILO)
“The situation of workers in the Arab occupied territories”

United Nations Economic, Social and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)

General Conference
5.2 “Jerusalem and the implementation of 35 C/Resolution 49&#8243;
5.3 “Implementation of 35 C/Resolution 75 concerning educational and cultural institutions in the occupied Arab territories”

Executive Board
5.I-“Implementation of 36 C/Resolution 43 and 190 EX/Decision 5 (II) relating to the Ascent to the Mughrabi Gate in the Old City of Jerusalem”
9-“Jerusalem and the implementation of 36 C/Resolution 43 and 190 EX/Decision 13&#8243;
10-“Implementation of 190 EX/Decision 14 on “The two Palestinian sites of al-&#7716;aram al Ibr&#257;h&#299;m& #299;/Tomb of the Patriarchs in al-Khal&#299;l/Hebron and the Bil&#257;l ibn Rab&#257;&#7717; Mosque/Rachel’s Tomb in Bethlehem””
34-“Implementation of 36 C/Resolution 81 and 190 EX/Decision 38 concerning educational and cultural institutions in the occupied Arab territories”
35-“Report by the Director-General on the reconstruction and development of Gaza”

United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People (PAPP)

United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
Item 11b:“Report on UNCTAD’s Assistance to the Palestinian people”

http://blog.unwatch.org/index.php/2013/07/04/...

Location hidden

#111925 Dec 4, 2013
I am sick of Israel and people like you whinging and trying to play the victim card. It has been happening for over 60 years and the whole time Israel has been the aggressor. I am not prepared to waste any further time addressing someone who is living in denial.You call Israelis who do not tow the political line re Israel, self hating. The same goes for some rabbis because they voicetheir disapproval of what Israel has done. Oh and let's not forget the UN as well as some Christians who you have recently added to the list. You refer me to Zionist websites and Memri which is owned by an ex IDF Israeli.

You have been unable to address simple issues such as why is Israel the only country in the UN that doesn't have dedicated borders. Could it be because she plans on further expansion in her effort to take over more land? Why did she not honour her agreement re resolution 181?

Turkey the legal sovereign in 1917 did not agree to the recommendations outlined in the Balfour Declaration and the letter was never put to the Houses of Parliament for debate. It has never been a legally binding document.

According to a lawyer by the name of Henry Cattan, Sir Herbert Samuel, who was the first British High Commissioner told the House of Lords in 1947 that "there was no promise of a Jewish state" intended by the declaration.

The implication was that what was suggested was a Corpus separatum which is a term referring to a city or region which is given a special legal and political status different from its environment, but which falls short of being sovereign, or an independent city state.

Israel is illegitimate and the nations of the world need to acknowledge that. America should stop paying money to her and she should accept the return of Palestinian refugees. End of story.
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#111926 Dec 4, 2013
Israel is a parasite

Location hidden

#111927 Dec 4, 2013
THIS SHOWS HOW LITTLE RESPECT THE "STATE OF ISRALE" HAS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL COURT OF JUSTICE

israel will follow the law of judges sitting in Jerusalem; will ignore Kangaroo court from the Hague Comment

The Jerusalem Post ( www.jpost.com ) has a good analysis by Prof. Dershowitz on how Israel will ignore the decision made by the International Kangaroo Court of the Hague. This group of clown judges has decided that Israel's security fence is "against the law":

The Supreme Court of Israel recognized the unquestionable reality that the security fence has saved numerous lives and promises to save more, but it also recognized that this benefit must be weighed against the material disadvantages to West Bank Palestinians. The International Court, on the other hand, discounted the saving of lives and focused only on the Palestinian interests. By showing its preference for Palestinian property rights over the lives of Jews, the International Court displayed its bigotry.

[...] The decision of the International Court of Justice against Israel should harm the reputation of that court in the minds of objective observers rather than damage the credibility of Israel. The Israeli government will comply with the rule of law by following the decision of its own Supreme Court.

If the International Court of Justice were itself to apply the rule of law instead of the calculus of politics, it might deserve respect. Now – like the general assembly of which it's a creation and the Mississippi courts of the 1930s of which it's a clone – all it deserves is the contempt of decent people for its bigoted processes and its predetermined partisan result.

Prof. Dershowitz wrote this article the day before the International Court rendered this opinion because he was certain – based on the composition of the court – that its verdict would be against Israel. Following the decision he did not have to change a single word.

I, and most Israelis, accuse the judges sitting in the Hague of never standing up for the Israeli children who are deliberately murdered by mass murdering bastards from the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Hamas.

This decision has made it very clear: while the International Kangaroo Court of Justice holds us to certain standards, the same brain dead judges from the Hague never hold the Palestinians responsible for deliberately murdering and slaughtering Israeli women and children.

I, and most Israelis, will ignore what the International Kangaroo Court of Justice has decided. I, and most Israelis, will do everything we can to stop the barbaric Islamic mass murderers from the Islamic Jihad and Arafat's Al-Aksa Brigades. I, and most Israelis are tired of this hypocrisy from the United Nations and Europe - how can people that do not live under Islamic terror judge Israel who has to face Palestinian barbarism on a daily basis?

Since Israel has started building its security fence the Palestinian mass murderers have had a much harder time in executing their homicide bombings. For more details, including a graph that shows how the number of homicide bombings has decreased, click here or here. The fence has saved many lives already and it's definitely here to stay.

ISRAEL THINKS THAT SHE IS A LAW UNTO HERSELF AND CAN KEEP DISRESPECTING THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY

Location hidden

#111928 Dec 4, 2013
*ISRAEL

Location hidden

#111929 Dec 4, 2013
The Charter of the United Nations describes the mission of the UN to protect world peace, and the human rights and self-determination of its inhabitants, and to foster cooperation amongst all nations to the benefit of everyone..

The Charter assigns implementation of this mission primarily to the Security Council, in cooperation with the General Assembly and the other four organs of the UN.

The UN Security Council has passed a large number of resolutions condemning Israel for its actions in the Middle East and against the Palestinian people and surrounding nations. The General Assembly has passed over 100 resolutions condemning Israeli actions and policies. In addition, the International Court of Justice has ruled that the wall that Israel is building through the occupied Palestinian territories substantially violates the human rights of the Palestinian people and needs to be torn down immediately, and the people affected must be compensated for their losses.

Israel has ignored all of the resolutions of the Security Council, which is a violation of the Charter, and by extension, international law. And it has also ignored all of the resolutions of the General Assembly and the Advisory Opinion of the International Court.

In addition, it is important to note that in support of Israel, the United States has exercised its veto power in the Security Council to cancel out many other resolutions that were otherwise passed unanimously or by the vast majority of its members.

Read more at:

http://israellawresourcecenter.org/internatio...

Location hidden

#111930 Dec 5, 2013
Fischbach, an associate professor of history at Randolph-Macon College in Virginia is a fluent Arabic speaker as well as a leading authority on socio-economic history of the Arab world. In Records of Dispossession, Fischbach details previously examined as well as never before published estimates of the scope and value of refugee property. His estimates are based on a meticulous examination of what Palestinian sociologist Salim Tamari describes as “the collective memory of the exile of the Palestinian people,” namely the archival records. These records were initially flung across the globe. They were held under lock and key by the United Nations and preserved in fragmentary form in boxes and file cabinets and housed in dusty storage rooms in Britain, Palestine, Israel and across the Arab world.

But Records of Dispossession is more than an auditor’s account of property losses suffered by Palestinian Arabs and in some instances by Palestinian Jews. The book tells the story of how the tragic flight of the refugees was leveraged into carefully crafted strategies, Israeli policies toward abandoned property designed to permanently remove the Palestinian people from their property as they pacified critics while solidifying the sovereignty of the emerging state. And as the United Nations attempted to act on the refugee property question, the plight of the Palestinians soon morphed into the larger still unresolved quagmire between an increasingly paranoid, well-armed and aggressive Israel and its disdainful and wary Arab neighbors.

“Exactly how much land the refugees left behind has been the subject of numerous and contradictory studies over the years since 1948,” Fischbach acknowledges. The genesis of the refugee property issue started in 1948, during the first Arab-Israeli war where one-half of the Arab population of Palestine fled or were driven out of their homes in Palestine by Zionist forces. Believing they would soon return, many Palestinians left everything behind except what they could carry. But the mass repatriation of the refugees was not permitted and Israel quickly confiscated their property. Professor Fischbach identifies three socio-economic groups and distinct waves of Palestinians who fled their homes as the mutual violence, atrocities against civilian populations and fear intensified.

“Many of the Palestinian urban dwellers were quite wealthy. They left behind not only luxurious homes replete with expensive furniture and other consumer goods but also shops, warehouses, factories, machinery, and other commercial property. This was in addition to financial assets like bank accounts and valuables such as securities held in safe deposit boxes in banks. Others left behind large citrus groves. Not only were the land and trees temporarily abandoned but so too were irrigation pipes, water pumps, and other capital goods present on the land. None felt that their departure was anything but a temporary move away from a war zone.”

But not all wealthy Palestinians accepted their fate.“One distraught Haifa businessman who had left behind his home and business only to end up in a refugee camp in the Jordon Valley near Jericho took his two sons behind their tent quarters one day in November 1948, shot them, then turned the gun on himself.”

The Hagana, the official militia of the Zionist movement in Palestine, strategically attacked villages they felt were a threat to Jewish settlements and supply lines, and Arab forces in a tit for tat retaliated against Jewish settlements. But with the full-scale Zionist offensive in the spring of 1948, Palestinian villagers fled, leaving behind “their homes, farms, farm animals and equipment, and personal property. Generally not possessing bank accounts like their urbane counterparts, some buried money in the ground for safe keeping.” It was beyond imagination they would not return.

To be continued

Location hidden

#111931 Dec 5, 2013
By the time the armistice agreement was signed in 1949, a total of 726,000 Palestinian refugees had “fled into Lebanon,Syria, Jordon, the West Bank and Gaza, as well as Egypt, Iraq, and beyond,” Fischbach recounts.“Middle- and upper-class Palestinian urbanites moved in with relatives or rented new accommodations. The poor were relegated to refugee camps. The war also triggered the exodus of 30,000 Syrian, Lebanese, Egyptian, Jordanian, and Iraqi Arabs living in Palestine as well. In total, these persons left behind a vast amount of moveable and immoveable property, the scope and value of much of which could not be proven either by deeds or by other documents.”

A thorough accounting of Palestinian land had never been completed by the British mandatory authorities; and the records that had been created were scattered as a result of the fighting. Of these,“the definition of a ‘village’ has varied from source to source. Not all locales from which the refugees came were recognized officially as settlements in the eyes of the mandatory authorities, who therefore kept no information on them nor included them on survey maps.” Though the estimates of destroyed villages range from an Israeli low of 360, the work undertaken by Basheer Nijim and Bishara Muammar indicates the geographical spread of the destroyed villages extends from parts of Israel, to the West Bank and Gaza. Their estimate details 427 villages destroyed, with two additional villages still undetermined.

Records of Dispossession also looks at the public figures behind what is euphemistically referred to as “transferring” the Palestinians out of the country. Yosef Weitz of the Jewish National Fund was one of the most knowledgeable Zionist land officials in 1948. He adhered to the Zionist goal of building the Zionist state dunum by dunum.“It should be clear to us that there is no room in Palestine for these two peoples… Without the Arabs, the land will become wide and spacious for us, with the Arabs, the land will remain sparse and cramped,” Weitz noted. The fighting in 1948 provided both an opportunity for transfer and the challenge to prevent a return of refugees who might pose both a military and demographic threat. In defense of Zionist policy, Chaim Weizmann, the first president of Israel put it bluntly to the first American ambassador toIsrael,“What did the world do to prevent this genocide [the Holocaust]? Why now should there be such an excitement in the UN and the Western capitals about the plight of the Arab refugees?”

While the battles were still being waged some Jews began to move into Palestinian homes. According to Fischbach, new Jewish immigrants, Holocaust survivors that had been initially housed in rural kibbutzim found that these accommodations reminded them of Nazi concentration camps. Some broke into well-appointed homes in Haifa, some of which were abandoned but others were still occupied by Palestinians who had remained.“Some Jews simply evicted the owners by force. One Palestinian, Sa’id Atma, reported that Jews broke into his home, assaulted him, threw out his furniture, and began living in his home.”

Arab homes were also looted by Jewish soldiers and civilians, and early in the war the future prime minister, David Ben Gurion “issued orders to the Hagana to begin settling Jews in captured Palestinian homes.” During the summer of 1948, the Israeli army began destroying abandoned Palestinian villages while socialist kibbutzim (communal farms) as well as less communal moshavim and religious settlements began to petition to lease abandoned refugee land. A Custodian of Absentee Property was appointed and reported to the Knesset the following year that “only £14 million in moveable refugee property ever reached the storeroom.”

To be continued

Location hidden

#111932 Dec 5, 2013
However, not all Jews were delighted with their new found fortunes. The Yiddish-language journalist David Pinsky recounts a story in 1949 of a Holocaust survivor who began to brood,“what right had she and her family to occupy a house which does not belong to her? Use a garden and field which were taken by force from other people who ran away in a panic of war and are not permitted to return? Is she and her family not living on goods robbed from others? Is she not doing to the Arabs what the Nazis did to her and her family?”

Though the international community was shocked by the havoc created by the first Arab-Israel war, the onus of the plight of the Palestinian refugees fell to the United Nations which had proposed the partitian plan, rejected by the Arab states, to designate 55% of Palestine for a proposed Israel state. According to Section 1.C.2.8 of the plan:“No expropriation of land owned by an Arab in the Jewish state shall be allowed except for public purposes. In all cases of expropriation full compensation as fixed by the Supreme Court [of the Jewish state] shall be paid previous to dispossession.” On the last day of the British Mandate, the UN created the office of a UN mediator for Palestine who would “promote a peaceful adjustment of the future situation of Palestine.” The former president of the Swedish Red Cross, Count Folke Bernadotte was chosen for the position. Not only did Bernadotte insist that the fate of the refugee property be secured pending a solution to the refugee exodus, he stated that “the right of the Arab refugees to return to their homes in Jewish-controlled territories at the earliest possible date be affirmed by the United Nations.” His report also called for the “payment of adequate compensation to those choosing not to return to their former homes.” To that end, the United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine (UNCCP) was created which for two decades carried on the work of Arab-Israeli mediation and rights associated with thePalestine refugee property.

The day after he signed his report, Bernadotte was shot and killed in Jerusalem by “Fatherland Front” militants, a group associated with the Fighters for the Freedom of Israel who one week later issued a statement warning others not to repeat the mistake:

“The Fighters for the Freedom of Israel will fight by any means at their disposal against foreign regime [sic], be it Arab, Anglo-Arab, or a combined imperialist regime under the mask of the U.N.…. Any such [foreign] supervision or any such ruling will be considered by us as service to imperialism and foreign occupation and we will treat them as we treated the British regime and its representatives.”

To be continued

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Selden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hookups in sayville 8 hr sayville16 1
Review: Long Island Academy Of Dance (Oct '08) Jul 20 dancer 14
News Islip, citing finances, moves on $10M in bonds ... Jul 18 rabid tabby 7
News Dumping case trial date set for ex-Islip officials Jul 16 shame on you 3
Painters is back! (Oct '13) Jul 15 Rusty 4
News Suffolk police shuffled in wake of sex predator... (May '07) Jul 14 Petrshef 103
SCCC Destruction of Nature (Dec '12) Jul 14 Rick the custodian 10

Selden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Selden Mortgages