School Board-Sedan
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Observer

Toledo, OH

#1 Feb 17, 2011
Does anyone have any information on the criteria the school board uses to make decisions on contract renewals? Can they be required to explain their reasons? These decisions impact all the children in the school system, and also the entire community.
Comment

Derby, KS

#2 Feb 17, 2011
The school board is not required to give any reason for a non renewal of contracts. I think I know why you are asking and I agree it's a real shame when the person has a very good school record (my opinion)but is non renewed due to someone(s) hard feeling toward the contract person involved.
John

Coweta, OK

#3 Feb 18, 2011
Well I havent heard yet but they need to use common sense and do whats best for the kids..Good teachers are becoming a thing of the past at the school
Observer

Toledo, OH

#4 Feb 18, 2011
It looks like they have abandoned common sense and are not even thinking anything about the good of the children. Just seem to be on some type of vendetta and want to flex their muscles and show the community and the school that they are powerful. This situation is teaching our children the absolute wrong lesson about rewarding hard work, good performance, dedication to a job and the education of our children. It is just teaching them that if a person in a position of power chooses to, they can end a good educators career without any stated cause.
Concerned Citizen

United States

#5 Feb 18, 2011
John wrote:
Well I havent heard yet but they need to use common sense and do whats best for the kids..Good teachers are becoming a thing of the past at the school
So untrue....there are MANY good teachers!! If you have never taught or been a part of the educational system you probably have no clue what defines a good teacher. As many think, it is not the person who takes on the parent's role nor the person who allows students to do as they please. In most cases the teacher is required to do what the superintendent, principal and school board allows them to do, teachers make very few decisions. Remember this when you vote for school board members, since they choose the superintendent and the principals of our school.
John

Coweta, OK

#6 Feb 18, 2011
I was a student...I KNOW A GOOD TEACHER THANK YOU!!! I had many and they are becoming a thing of the past..I am also a parent and a grandparent.Therefore I am at the top.. head Mofo of the Education system..You on the other hand "Concerned Citizen"must be on the bottom of the education chain..ie the one in it for a paycheck..which is what the schools seem to have the majority of today..
John

Coweta, OK

#7 Feb 18, 2011
oh and for all of you that think Sedan has great teachers...Look at the posts..not only here but on facebook blogs and everywhere the kids here in town post..Then call me a liar.Half of them can barely spell their names..use are for our..there for their and so on..Maybe if you are so damned concerned you should notice these things before you jump in on a post and call me a liar...
Laughing

Coweta, OK

#8 Feb 19, 2011
Head "Mofo" of the education system.......really?
Comment

Derby, KS

#9 Feb 19, 2011
It's shame when people are willing to slam the teachers for not being able to teach their little angels. Teachers can not force your kids to learn. The kids have to be willing to learn. We have alot of parents who can not read, write or spell any better than their kids and you expect the teachers to correct this? get real and admit the real problem.
Uneducated parents trying to blame anyone for thier kids lack of responsibilty.
Observer

Toledo, OH

#10 Feb 19, 2011
The point of this observation is that a person at the school was non-renewed, and this person was one of the finest educators in the whole system. He instilled a sense of school spirit in people who didn't even like the school. He made children aware of the consequences of their actions, and gave them a desire to excel in whatever endeavors they chose. It is certainly not intended to blame anyone for not teaching the little darlings. I agree that the primary responsibility rests with the parents, however, the school board has sadly let down the parents who are trying to teach their children an old fashioned work ethic: do your job, whatever it is, well, and you will be rewarded. The school board has just shown that no matter how hard one tries to get along with everyone, and do their job well, they can be blindsided at any time and left wondering what happened.
Comment

Derby, KS

#11 Feb 19, 2011
Observer - Very Well said and I totally agree with you
John

Coweta, OK

#12 Feb 19, 2011
When my kids were in school they would come home confused about their homework..I would spend 5 mins or so with them and explain it where they had no problems finishing their work..Then explain to them that if their teacher did their job at school they wouldn't have homework..From what I see in the post by Observer, is that this teacher may be a good one..Sure sounds like one to me..So why is he being ousted instead of getting his contract renewed????? Is it because he is over qualified for Sedan??Is it because someone on the board has a buddy or relative that needs a job????To me it sounds like he may be one of the few that should be kept.
As for Comment about the uneducated parents..How many of those uneducated Parents went to school here in Sedan???? I can proudly say I didn't go to school here and had the chance to experience good teachers who cared about a child's education and wasn't just in it for the paycheck.I just suggest that if Sedan has a good teacher they better keep him cause they are far and few between.
Sedan

Wichita, KS

#13 Feb 19, 2011
John wrote:
When my kids were in school they would come home confused about their homework..I would spend 5 mins or so with them and explain it where they had no problems finishing their work..Then explain to them that if their teacher did their job at school they wouldn't have homework..From what I see in the post by Observer, is that this teacher may be a good one..Sure sounds like one to me..So why is he being ousted instead of getting his contract renewed????? Is it because he is over qualified for Sedan??Is it because someone on the board has a buddy or relative that needs a job????To me it sounds like he may be one of the few that should be kept.
As for Comment about the uneducated parents..How many of those uneducated Parents went to school here in Sedan???? I can proudly say I didn't go to school here and had the chance to experience good teachers who cared about a child's education and wasn't just in it for the paycheck.I just suggest that if Sedan has a good teacher they better keep him cause they are far and few between.
Hi,
You're an idiot. I am glad your proud of your alternative education. However, your disdain is unwelcome and inappropriate. If you don't care for the school or teachers then don't say anything. If you have nothing positive to say, then say nothing at all.

Have a wonderful day.
John

Coweta, OK

#14 Feb 20, 2011
Oh so people that dont like something shouldn't say a thing...YES YOU ARE SEDAN for sure..and that statement proves it..guess the truth hurts and YOU don't want to hear it..Maybe if the people of Sedan would wake up and listen to others opinions...Oh listen to me..I am starting to sound like a typical normal person that the people of this town wouldn't understand..
Sedan

Wichita, KS

#15 Feb 20, 2011
John wrote:
Oh so people that dont like something shouldn't say a thing...YES YOU ARE SEDAN for sure..and that statement proves it..guess the truth hurts and YOU don't want to hear it..Maybe if the people of Sedan would wake up and listen to others opinions...Oh listen to me..I am starting to sound like a typical normal person that the people of this town wouldn't understand..

Get a off Topix and get a life. Nameless busybodies who try to hurt peoples reputations on Topix don't belong here.
You obviously do not know both sides of the story you are speculating about. Check your facts or hit the road.

Regards
John

Coweta, OK

#16 Feb 20, 2011
LMAO I said in the beginning I dont even know who this teacher is that wont be back next yr..But if he is as good as people have posted they need to keep him..and as long as I have an opinion I will use my rights to post it..Do you own this site????I didnt think so..I guess if everyone in town was happy and whistled Zippity Do Da out their rears then Topix would be 100% positive..until then if you dont like my opinions...DONT READ THEM...
I bet you would like to run everyone that didnt have your ideas off the internet if not out of town..well good luck with that and if you do the Population of the town would be really low..
Redmen

Tulsa, OK

#17 Feb 21, 2011
Funny how everything that goes wrong at school concerning a student is always the teachers/schools fault, never their home life.I wonder how many parents toady even go to teacher/parent conf's. I'll bet that rate of interest is terrible, but again that's probably the teachers/schools fault to.
Crazy

United States

#18 Feb 24, 2011
Kind of off the topic a little bit, but is anyone concerned that human beings in general are becoming dumber and dumber with every generation. My logic here is that highly intelligent, sucessful people usually have only one or two kids. They also have these kids later in life, after college, after they have a good job, say around 30ish on average. On the other hand, white trash retards seem to have as many kids as possible and are ususally having them around 16-22 years of age. They don't educate them, care for them, raise them properly, and no surprise, the kids turn out to be POS's as well. Problem is, in a 100 year span, they will have tons of ignorant kids and as many as 5 generations. Sucessful, intelligent people will have far fewer offspring and probably only around 3 generations in the same time span. So I guess my point is, we are becoming dumber and dumber as human beings so it's no surprise if we have more problems with the education system and will continue to as long as we reward the trashy people on government programs who get more free money for having another child and don't even have to pay a dime to have the child. So what discourages them from having 6 kids compared to my 2?
Confused

Eureka, KS

#19 Feb 24, 2011
What has me concerned is that the Sedan School Board will have less money next year per pupil than they have had in years, yet they are going to hire a Supt. and an elementary principal. When they need to spend all they can on students they are adding an administrative position. If the current Supt could do both jobs, why can't his replacement do them both? Seems to me that the current board needs some lessons in finance.
Sedan

United States

#20 Feb 24, 2011
Confused wrote:
What has me concerned is that the Sedan School Board will have less money next year per pupil than they have had in years, yet they are going to hire a Supt. and an elementary principal. When they need to spend all they can on students they are adding an administrative position. If the current Supt could do both jobs, why can't his replacement do them both? Seems to me that the current board needs some lessons in finance.
Don't forget that USD286 will also need a new high school principal as the current one was just terminated. Maybe they should look at hiring a K-12 principal. 1 principal and 1 superintendent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sedan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pit Bulls (Jun '14) Sun JoshSandersIsGay 15
caney nursing home (Sep '15) Feb 18 ElViRa-BoBo 10
Eric J Jablonski Feb 10 s01 3
have you guys heard of blindsight 20/20?? (Dec '15) Jan 30 Chris Gilliam 36
Cq County Treasurer (Nov '14) Jan 29 Whut 47
Prolems with Sedan School Personel ? Read this !! (Aug '14) Jan 28 Notbeingmean 8
Did Casey Spurlok burn a house down? (Jul '15) Jan 28 Flyonthewall 18

Sedan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sedan Mortgages