Tallgrass

United States

#1 Nov 5, 2008
Thank you everyone who voted YES!
YES!- To Progress!
YES!- To personal CHOICE!
YES!- To bringing our County out of the Dark Ages

With the possibity of actually turning a profit
we may very well see some new investment in our County.
As well as a little bit of LIFE, as in
NIGHTLIFE! on our main streets should be welcome by all,, well almost.

I saw a photo of downtown Sedan In the early part of the last Century
It was really weird, not that there were more Shops and old model T's,,,,
But that every parking space was full!!
I'm guessing you could find a drink in County then.

It should be good to see every space full again
citizen

Keokuk, IA

#2 Nov 5, 2008
Fine dining...what a joke...LOL!
Not a born CQ resident

Frisco, TX

#3 Nov 5, 2008
Wow you think all this is going to be the answer to Sedan's problems if liquor available in the find resturants. How's come the Hotel will not being paying property taxes and competing against the resturants in town and the motel that is on the tax roll. Its like saying the Scout Ranch has helped our personal property taxes. LMAO Your really think this is progress. A nice business in town that employees a few people like Cessna would of been more like it.
spell like your born CQ

United States

#4 Nov 6, 2008
Not a born CQ resident wrote:
Wow you think all this is going to be the answer to Sedan's problems if liquor available in the find resturants. How's come the Hotel will not being paying property taxes and competing against the resturants in town and the motel that is on the tax roll. Its like saying the Scout Ranch has helped our personal property taxes. LMAO Your really think this is progress. A nice business in town that employees a few people like Cessna would of been more like it.
What have the scout ranch and your property taxes got to do with it?
Just try and lure some company to this ass backwards dirt water inbred cess-pool (lol) GOOD LUCK! Maybe a place to get a drink after work will help,
Tallgrass

United States

#5 Nov 6, 2008
citizen wrote:
Fine dining...what a joke...LOL!

I couldn't agree more
However passing this will make the possibility
that someone could actually turn a profit serving something besides Hamburgers seem a little closer to reality.
I hope it will
only the shadow knows

Wichita, KS

#6 Nov 6, 2008
Tallgrass along time ago, Sedan had alot of things, many grocery stores, lots of gas stations, drug stores, and etc. The graduating classes then that had stayed around and made something of the town. They did a great job! They are alot older and most have retired, which they earned. Now kids leave town and really don't come back. If the town would agree on bringing things into town, things might turn around. But for the most part, I think they like their sleepy little town. McCann's is a great place to eat, not just hamburgers. If it's still open? Sorry been away for a long while. Keep your dreams alive.
Tallgrass

United States

#7 Nov 6, 2008
only the shadow knows wrote:
Tallgrass along time ago, Sedan had alot of things, many grocery stores, lots of gas stations, drug stores, and etc. The graduating classes then that had stayed around and made something of the town. They did a great job! They are alot older and most have retired, which they earned. Now kids leave town and really don't come back. If the town would agree on bringing things into town, things might turn around. But for the most part, I think they like their sleepy little town. McCann's is a great place to eat, not just hamburgers. If it's still open? Sorry been away for a long while. Keep your dreams alive.
You are correct McCann' is great but they only open for lunch
Now I can at least look forward a glass of white wine with their great salmon fillet!
Waistgunner

United States

#8 Oct 8, 2009
Tallgrass wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct McCann' is great but they only open for lunch
Now I can at least look forward a glass of white wine with their great salmon fillet!
As a Matter of fact NO you couldn't get a drink back then, At least not legally. Kansas was dry way before Prohibition and SE kansas remained Dry for a long time after prohibition . As a matter of Fact in the early fifties a skating rink was turned down in sedan because No dancing was allowed.. I guess as with many other things you can get about anything to look good if you drink enough .
oooh

Coweta, OK

#9 Oct 8, 2009
I think it will be great to have someplace that is fit to eat at here. I think you can only eat a HB so often. If I want to go out to eat then I have to leave town. I think it will be great to have a great place to eat at. Yes, I would like a bourbon and coke with my steak. There is nothing wrong with that. I think the only thing that is wrong is that people are so narrow minded that they cant see what is good for the community. If you dont want a drink with your meal, dont order one. If someone doesnt want fine dining it is because they are used to HB and Hot dogs. Nothing wrong with that. I dont go to mccanns because I dont like their lunch menu. When they were open as the Harmon House I did eat there. They were open for supper. I cant wait for a great place to eat for a nice evening out for dinner.
fdeas

Coweta, OK

#10 Jul 6, 2010
FDGDFG
Redmen

Tulsa, OK

#11 Jul 7, 2010
fdeas wrote:
FDGDFG
STHU
Redmen

Tulsa, OK

#12 Jul 7, 2010
When I grew up in Sedan you couldn't find a parking place downtown on Satuday's, even within a block of downtown. You had to circle down to Skelly station then back down to the hollow until a space opend up.
Then there was the drawing at the courthouse lawn giving away money donated nt the merchants, that drew a crowd.
Sat. afternoon matinee's at the Chief Movie theater. Over 200 kids in HS.
5 1/2 groceries stores, 2 hardware/lumber store 6/7 service stations, 3 car dealership,2 drug stores, 4 clothing sores, 2 furniture stores, 2 banks 4 cafe's etc etc
Well I may off one or two on the above , but back then downtown was like a mall is in Wichita,Tulsa or Bartlesville. Jeeze those were some fun times experiencing all the hustle and bustle,seeing new faces every Sat.
Now on a Sat your lucky to see 10/15 cars on Main str. Sad Sad Sad , but Sedan isn't the little town to experience that.
What now

Cedar Vale, KS

#13 Jul 7, 2010
Why are all of Sedan's comments coming up on Cedar Vale's topix. We have enough to worry about without worring about Sedan.
love thy neighbor

Garden Plain, KS

#14 Jul 8, 2010
oooh wrote:
I think it will be great to have someplace that is fit to eat at here. I think you can only eat a HB so often. If I want to go out to eat then I have to leave town. I think it will be great to have a great place to eat at. Yes, I would like a bourbon and coke with my steak. There is nothing wrong with that. I think the only thing that is wrong is that people are so narrow minded that they cant see what is good for the community. If you dont want a drink with your meal, dont order one. If someone doesnt want fine dining it is because they are used to HB and Hot dogs. Nothing wrong with that. I dont go to mccanns because I dont like their lunch menu. When they were open as the Harmon House I did eat there. They were open for supper. I cant wait for a great place to eat for a nice evening out for dinner.
I agree that McCanns has a great meal on Sunday, ok thru the week, but the rest of the places in Sedan does not have anything but a Hamburger and lately that is so bland and tastless.If cost is the Reason add an extra dollar, I know it cost money to prepare a proper meal. I would rather eat one decent meal out and pay a higher price that eat out 3 times a week and eat tasteless food. So I am pleading to all you Cafe owners, please supervise the cook and make sure they know what they are doing. Try adding a few things to your menu and don't call the Hot hamburger a special, it is anything but special. Also can anybody Fry Chicken in this Town? I haven't eaten any if they can. I know I can Fry my own and I usally do. What a great place to open up Popeyes or KFC in Sedan.
jvm

United States

#15 Jul 8, 2010
fdeas wrote:
FDGDFG
You need to find help!
oooh

Coweta, OK

#16 Jul 9, 2010
Love thy neighbor: We sure don't need a fast food chicken place. We have to agree to disagree about that. They used to pan fry chicken at the Rack Shack. Well one employee did. It was some of the BEST fried chicken I have eaten since my grandma. But she doesn't work there anymore. Yes we do need someplace to eat something besides greasy fried food. But at this rate we apparently are not gonna get it. That is sad.
Mr mcnasty

Coffeyville, KS

#17 Jul 12, 2010
I love McCanns! I just recently started eating there, but they are closed for renovations now!:( Sucks because I work in Sedan on weekends and that's the only place to eat that's worth it. The people at pizza hut don't know how to make a decent pizza! Green door scares me and doesn't smell to good, rack shack is closed on Sunday. And the ranch is closed down, again, but that's not a big loss! I'm surprised the town don't have a sonic yet! Lol
jvm

Hartford, KS

#18 Jul 14, 2010
Mr mcnasty wrote:
I love McCanns! I just recently started eating there, but they are closed for renovations now!:( Sucks because I work in Sedan on weekends and that's the only place to eat that's worth it. The people at pizza hut don't know how to make a decent pizza! Green door scares me and doesn't smell to good, rack shack is closed on Sunday. And the ranch is closed down, again, but that's not a big loss! I'm surprised the town don't have a sonic yet! Lol
You would peobably have to ask the city counsel about the Sonic. They don't what anyone to come in that would compete with the 'local eateries'.
jvm

Hartford, KS

#19 Jul 14, 2010
Sorry, I forgot to use spell check, that should be probably. My finger was one key off!
Mr mcnasty

Coffeyville, KS

#20 Jul 14, 2010
jvm wrote:
<quoted text>
You would peobably have to ask the city counsel about the Sonic. They don't what anyone to come in that would compete with the 'local eateries'.
I don't really want a sonic, that's just overpriced greasy crap you get from them, just saying most other small towns in the area have a sonic, along with a pizza hut!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sedan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pit Bulls (Jun '14) Feb 19 Billy Jack 14
caney nursing home (Sep '15) Feb 18 ElViRa-BoBo 10
Eric J Jablonski Feb 10 s01 3
have you guys heard of blindsight 20/20?? (Dec '15) Jan 30 Chris Gilliam 36
Cq County Treasurer (Nov '14) Jan 29 Whut 47
Prolems with Sedan School Personel ? Read this !! (Aug '14) Jan 28 Notbeingmean 8
Did Casey Spurlok burn a house down? (Jul '15) Jan 28 Flyonthewall 18

Sedan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sedan Mortgages