Pittsburg Colgan
Cindy Powell

United States

#1 Apr 12, 2010
I am just wondering how people feel about Pittsburg Colgan. I for one strongly feel they need to play up or play other private schools. Private schools can pick who attends their school. Public schools can not. For the past 10 years plus, they have won ,or came in second, every State championship. How can this be? How can a school be that good year after year after year? Many 1 and 2A schools are trying to remain open and have enough players to continue playing a team sport. Not Colgan. I think every boy goes out for every sport. This past year we had around 20 football players to their 70 plus. I'm not sure what the Basketball numbers were or the Baseball numbers are. I just want to hear what others are saying and thinking about this subject. Please keep your comments to this subject and don't stray off!

Since: Apr 10

Alma, KS

#2 Apr 13, 2010
While its true that Colgan does have an unfair advantage when it comes to sports not all of the information is true with them or other parochial powerhouses. Colgan has not played in the football championship game (2A) in the past two seasons. Centrailia won it this year and the year before the team representing the East was Olpe. Do they compete at high levels every year in every sport? The answer is pretty much yes. Does every kid play every sport? I highly doubt it because they have baseball and golf in the spring and I know that not every kid plays both of those. That area is saturated with good athletes and small towns around Pittsburg compete well in almost every sport. The CNC league itself is so tough without Colgan in it that I doubt that Sedan could compete well with many of them in most sports at this point. Twenty years ago Sedan could probably have held their own with the CNC. If you have seen their weight room and see how many kids get into that weight room in the summer and during the day it may change your perception somewhat. They have about 95% participation in the weight room during the summer beginning around six in the morning. Can Sedan muster that number? In all my years in and around Sedan I can honestly say a big NO to that. Plus, being in a sports crazed town like Pittsburg there are ample opportunities for the kids to become involved in sports. Colgan can choose who attends but its not like they are going to turn away too many kids. They have kids in special education classes too. They have kids that do not participate in sports, even though it seems that all do. Smith Center who had won six 2A football championships in a row smacked them around the football field when they played Colgan. How could they do it? By having kids who were committed to the weights and to their program. Most towns, Sedan being one, cannot do that for an extended amount of time and therefore cannot sustain a sports program to handle adversity when it knocks on the door. Smith Center won all those championships being a public school, one in which the community bands together to support their school, coaches and especially their kids. Not many small towns have that, which is why they have been ultra successful. I'm pretty sure they have many kids in the weight room during the summer too after reading the book "Our boys," which confirms that.

If hard work and dedication are cheating then maybe Sedan had better start cheating.

Miami, OK

#3 Apr 15, 2010
I agree with "immabee". I also think that there is a lot more to school than sports though. Yes our players could be more dedicated and work harder. But they should also learn that when all is said and done you need a good education. Sports will not take you forever. We need to push more for education instead of sports.

Since: Apr 10

Alma, KS

#4 Apr 15, 2010
That's right oooh, people should be more concerned with education. If people would care as much for their child's education and ensure that they are doing what they should then our great country would be even greater. The sports are just an extension of the school day and can teach youth quite a bit about how things will be after graduation.

Tulsa, OK

#5 Apr 20, 2010
Education is not the subject, it's whether a private schools should play up or not. Does Colgan have a school boundry no, does Sedan-Yes , or better yet does Southeast Wichita have a boundry Yes so they can't take kids from North Wichita unless the family moves into their district..that's with all pubic schools , is that a disadvantage ABSOLUTELY,Colgan can take who they want Sedan can't unless they live in the district. A kid from Great Bend can play at Colgan and be eligible. He wouldn't eligible at Sedan unless family moves to Sedan. Fair no!
Let me tell you a first hand story.
Where I work they hired a kid from Girard and I mentioned one Fri I was going up to my hometown to a FB game. He says I use to be from Girard Ks and have a brother thats plays at Colgan, they recruited him from Girard and gave my mother and brother a place to live close to their campus- a cottage.
I said really as my home town meets them quite often in the playoffs and the usually beat the crap out of us. him- where you from , me- Sedan,ks, him- I've heard of Sedan. His brother is 6'4 240 lbs nad had two other brother's at NSU in Tahlequah, Ok. Honest to God ture story.. But, hell no Colgan doesn't recruit. Yeah right . why is it then on there Fb team it's 14 Sr's,14 Jr's , 14 Soph and 14 Fr's. prety much all the time... how do they control that ???.
Here in Okla next yr private schools must play up at least one clasification......about time as for example Cascia Hall 3A has dominated that class for several yrs now and I think they just won their 3rd straight St. Championship. They have the whole of Tulsa to pick from. Lincoln Christain who you all are familiar with same advantage . When Sedan played down here we learned that some kids come from as far away as 55 miles to attend LC, is that fair. NO!
Ks needs to make private schools play up a class or two, and screw what Centrailia has done as Colgan is usually who they beat out.

United States

#6 Apr 29, 2011
Colgan was a private school when I played baseball over 20 years ago. We were up at the 1-4A. State baseball tournament every year as Colgan was. They never did jack in state. Always would get beat first round. We always played bigger school from KC and Wichita. We loved playing all the bigger schools. To be the best u have to beat the best. My advice to the high school baseball team playing Colgan, just beat their ass. If u are any kind of competitor u man up to anybody they put in front of u. I don't care if its a private school or the largest school in Kansas. The bigger they are the harder they fall. I will always root for Sedan baseball that was built by Coach Davis.
went to pitt

Wichita, KS

#7 Apr 30, 2011
colgan regruits there players anyone who went to pitt knows that if you dont play you dont go to colgan you go to pharmacy high as they called us but its kinda funny they are the biggest dopeys just go to one of their partys

Höst, Germany

#8 Apr 2, 2012
KNOW, O my daughter, that there was once a merchant who owned much money and many men, and who was rich in cattle and camels. He had also a wife and family, and he dwelt in the country, being experienced in husbandry and devoted to agriculture. Now Allah Most High had endowed him with understanding the tongues of beasts and birds of every kind, but under pain of death if he divulged the gift to any. So he kept it secret for very fear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sedan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Potts Chapel Fri blah blah 3
Doc Frazee the veterinarian Nov 26 Debt Collector 1
What the heck? Nov 24 gngrumormill 2
Tree trimmer (Jun '11) Nov 21 tit 15
colt griggs arrested for beating on a female (Dec '14) Nov 20 Krystal Everly-T... 13
Misty Wood Nov 18 0pen your eyes 1
boys scout ranch Nov 16 Concerned 4 u 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sedan Mortgages